Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to go for lunch in O'connel street, Henry street?

Options
  • 10-02-2014 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

what type of food do you like

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Nelly1234

what type of food do you like

Pasta, sandwiches:) I suppose an all rounder cafe/restaurant! Not picky just want quality:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Nowhere I can think of on O'Connell St or Henry St.

Café in Arnotts is ok, nothing special. Ditto Clerys.

In that general area, the French bakery café on Moore St is very nice, there is a super pizza place on Abbey St down towards Capel (its new) and there are heaps of places on Capel St.

If I was in the area, I would go to the French place on Moore St or else Brother Hubbard on Capel St. Also, the Mick Wallace places are pretty good for Pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Romanos on Capel st is great. They make their own pasta. Loads of Korean/Chinese on capel st too. So good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Epicurean food hall is good and cheap. It's not fine dining if you know what I mean, but there's tasty stuff to be got. Koh around the corner is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Boojum is not the most glamorous place to eat. But its genuinely my favourite place to eat in Dublin. I look forward to it every week. Its in the Italian quarter beside the jervis street luas stop. Its mexican food at its best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭RonnieRocket

hfallada wrote: »
    It's in the Italian quarter beside the jervis street luas stop. Its mexican food at its best.

*cringe* please don't call that little laneway "the Italian Quarter"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Supermacs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭dobman88

Flanagan's in the middle of O'Connell Street. Found the place by pure chance on a trip to Dublin and now go there every time I'm up. Quick and good service, good food, good prices. Would recommend it to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Brother Hubbard on Capel St for sure. Lovely sandwiches, soups, salads and coffee. Usually quite busy though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That's what people seem to call it. It's not that bad. Any suggestions for the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Yamamori Noodles next to the Ha'penny Bridge.
    You can get a lunch bento box for under e10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Govindas on Abbey St. One of the most filling and delicious lunch/dinners in Dublin and only 5.70, if i mind right. I work up around Baggot St and miss it terribly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

147 Deli on Parnell Street is meant to be great, dying to try it myself.

http://https://www.facebook.com/147deliparnell

But thats what its called....

.....whats wrong with the Italian Quarter?

Better ring to it than 'that laneway where all the Italian places are'.....

La_Gordy wrote: »
    Govindas on Abbey St. One of the most filling and delicious lunch/dinners in Dublin and only 5.70, if i mind right. I work up around Baggot St and miss it terribly.

Govindas on Aungier St isnt too far away from you; personally I prefer that one.

Going back to the OP's original question though:

It is a fact worth noting that THERE IS NOT ONE DECENT PLACE TO EAT ON WHAT IS SUPPOSEDLY DUBLIN'S PREMIER STREET.

But if its reconstituted chicken you want, served in rubbery nugget form, then there are multiple offerrings.

Thank you, city planners.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 moschops

I agree. Whenever I am around that area I'm always struck by that. Very strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

+1 for Flanagans

had a lovely lunch there recently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Going back to the OP's original question though:

It is a fact worth noting that THERE IS NOT ONE DECENT PLACE TO EAT ON WHAT IS SUPPOSEDLY DUBLIN'S PREMIER STREET.

But if its reconstituted chicken you want, served in rubbery nugget form, then there are multiple offerrings.

Thank you, city planners.
    I agree with you on the first point. A friend and I were in the sane predicament yesterday and ended up going southside. OCS just has zero quality offering.

On the other hand, this has nothing to do with planners. The market dictates who sets up shop. Huge demand for fast food, little demand for cafes/bistros. In fact the planners have started granting only temporary permission for new takeaway/fastfood places so as to avoid their proliferation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

Paris Bakery, Moore St.

/thread.

There is nothing else worth taking about in the OCS area unless you start factoring in the likes of the Grand Central, The Church and the Gresham for lunch and they're very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

There's absolutely nowhere decent to eat on either street. It will have to be Capel St (loads of choice), or Middle Abbey St/Liffey St. I would be a fan of Yamamori too.

That Govinda's place was horrible though, you are all mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭CatLou

Café Cagliostro on the Millenniun Walkway has some nice sambos with stuff like prosciutto and italian cheeses. Their coffee isn't too bad either.

Koh apparently is good too, though I've yet to try it, just heard about it from friends. It serves asian fusion food or something along those lines, if I remember correctly...

Closer to O'Connell, on Middle Abbey St. there's also Govinda's, they're a vegetarian restaurant run by the Hare Krishna folks :)
    They usually have three different dishes and you choose the size of the plate you want. You can then choose everything you want as long as they can stuff it into the plate. I usually can't finish a small plate (about 7€), they serve really large portions. They do take away boxes. They also have a soup of the day and yoghourt drinks. I think this place is very good value and I never leave her hungry, quite the opposite.
    It can be a little hit and miss in terms of really awesome veggie food, but it's never bland and they use fresh ingredients.

The Paris Bakery in Moore St. is also a nice spot for lunch, though I prefer it for a mid afternoon pastry and coffee.

If you're going to try something on Capel St. and like Asian/Japanese flavours, give Musashi a chance, I think you won't be disappointed and they do delish Bento Boxes for 9€ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

Koh isn't exactly OCS area, it's just off the Jervis Luas stop, but if you like Thai cuisine then look no further. One of my favourite restaurants in Dublin. Great cocktails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

cson wrote: »
    Koh isn't exactly OCS area, it's just off the Jervis Luas stop, but if you like Thai cuisine then look no further. One of my favourite restaurants in Dublin. Great cocktails.

I didn't like the place. The food was ok and it was really loud and dark there. When i went i booked a table for 2 and there was a huge table of rowdy people at a party taking up most of the room. I thought they should have given me a heads up when i booked as it was quite unpleasant

As i say, the food was grand but for the same price i've had much better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

The recently refurbished Parnell Mooney does some very nice food. BBQ wings and veggie pasta are especially nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

The French place on Moore Street is extremely good I think. Most people write it off because of its location but it does one of the best burgers in Dublin I think. 12.50 for a decent size burger, lovely homemade chips and a good salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

147 Deli on Parnell Street is very good, expensive but tasty sambo's and well worth a look. Uber hipster though.
    Kimchi and some vietnamese place on same street really good for asian / korean food as well. Food and service are always good. And then the pubs normally do good portions of lunches; Madigan's, Living Room. The there's also the kingfisher on Parnell street past the Rotunda.
    Either way, you wouldn't go hungry for long if you;re in the area.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Gresham. Pricey but civilised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 KeepItQT

Brother Hubbard if you fancy going as far as to Capel St. or The Hop House also known as The Shakespeare/ Kimchi is phenomenal my favourite restaurant in Dublin!

Advertisement