Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best area to live if working in IFSC in Dublin City?

Options
  • 11-02-2014 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times!

Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Nelly1234

Nelly1234 wrote: »

Also I've searched a previous thread, and fairview and Marino seem to be the obvious choices! How much would transport cost me to get to IFSC per day?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Mod Note;
    Sawdoubters this is a discussion site, if you can't see fit to engage in discussion then I would ask you to refrain from posting. Posting links is not an acceptable posting standard for the forum.

Morri

OP the IFSC is a great location for transport as you have the bus, luas and train services in the area.
    Other factors need to be taken into consideration.
    Would you like to live in the city?
    Walking distance to work?
    Budget restrictions?

You could live outside the city and get the train in or you could get an apartment in the IFSC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

Hi nelly, all this is subject to finding any rented accommodation in Dublin. You will get it but you may not be able to choose exactly where you want to rent unless you have a very high budget. Rented accommodation is like hens teeth right now. Best of luck, puzzle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I live around Arran Quay, just past the Four Courts, and walk to work in the IFSC in 25 minutes exactly.
    Anywhere in Dublin 1 or Dublin 2 is probably OK I would say.
    I'd personally prefer to be in town (location permitting) than Fairview or Marino.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭HouseHunter13

Look at the stops on the red luas line and check out them areas seeing as it passes through the IFSC. You would probably get much cheaper accommodation but I would add the monthly fare to work to see if it cheaper than just renting somewhere around the IFSC itself

Thanks for all the replies you kind people! Found a decent apartment today! ( actually lovely)

A lot of people are viewing it tho:( fingers crossed ill get it:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Anywhere on the train,red luas or dart line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Anywhere on the train,red luas or dart line.

This. Cheapest rental areas in the city are out west and the Luas will provide transport in from a good few of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The Luas is 2 quid a journey, I still maintain that living within walking distance is better

Is the area Spencer Docks exspensive? Looks like they are!

Is the area Spencer Docks exspensive? Looks like they are!

There are a few corporate lettings in the area which increased the rental prices. Half the apts were empty when I was working there last year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Personally I would hate to live in the IFSC but if I was young and going out I may not mind it,not sure though.
    I never feel safe there at night.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Personally I would hate to live in the IFSC but if I was young and going out I may not mind it,not sure though.
    I never feel safe their at night.

What areas are near the IFSC to live?? So I can look on daft.ie? I am fully convinced I will have no where to live in Dublin, by the way things are going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Docklands area, Spencer Dock etc are all within walking distance and very secure. There are apartments directly behind the IFSC which are okayish. You could live anywhere up the LUAS line, Viking Harbour in D8 is a well maintained apartment complex as is Smithfield and the the developments along the quays.

Stoneybatter has it's charm and there is family housing a bit further back in the beginnings of Cabra. Heuston South quarter... the list in endless of the IFSC really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Bateman wrote: »
    The Luas is 2 quid a journey, I still maintain that living within walking distance is better

You can buy a monthly luas AND bus ticket for €145 and this is before tax so you can travel all over the city for approx €2.50 a day of post-tax money.

OP if you give the forum users more info on what you are looking for and any restraints you may have then maybe they can provide more help. Right now we are aiming in the dark.

I have viewed 6 houses ( with housemates in them) and have shared an high interest in 4 houses, but haven't gotten them!

I'm a nice person that is up for the Craic and is clean and tidy:(

Help!!

I have viewed 6 houses ( with housemates in them) and have shared an high interest in 4 houses, but haven't gotten them!

Help!!

Anyone else have this trouble?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭lau1247

Op, you got to relax a little, almost no one is up between 1am and 6pm in this forum.

Is your search limit to specific high demand location?? If that is the case then you'd expect competition. Maybe expand your search a little wider??

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

You seem like a nice person so don't worry about it. Remember, for every house you don't get you're probably one of 30-40 people also not getting it, so don't take it personally.

The right place and right people will come along soon, when the time is right. 6 houses to date is not a lot so keep looking and don't let it get you down.

Best of luck with it and I have no doubt that it will work out for you soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

I was just about to post the same thing! I've been looking for a house share for over a month at this stage. Looking at a decent spread of places, (rathmines and drumcondra are my main areas of focus) and have upped my budget from €450 to €500, but still can't find anything! Even if I email as soon as an ad goes up(most places don't seem to bother with a phone number) I rarely hear back.

I worry my age (I'm in my early twenties) is working against me, but I'd rather live with people at least close enough to my age anyway.

I guess an example of it this week, I spotted a cheap place in rathmines. Room is small, but I'm OK with that. Set up a viewing and then a few hours later, get a text saying "forgot to mention, the house has two dogs and the room has a problem with damp".Arrrgh

/rant

Nelly I've merged your two threads as they are addressing the same issue. /Mod

If you would answer my last post (quoted below) then you may get more assistance from the forum users.
    OP if you give the forum users more info on what you are looking for and any restraints you may have then maybe they can provide more help. Right now we are aiming in the dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Help!!

Lots of people are "up for the craic" but doesn't mean they want to live with someone like that. I.e. They like to be able to turn the craic on or off.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Lots of people are "up for the craic" but doesn't mean they want to live with someone like that. I.e. They like to be able to turn the craic on or off.

I was just about to post the same thing! I've been looking for a house share for over a month at this stage. Looking at a decent spread of places, (rathmines and drumcondra are my main areas of focus) and have upped my budget from €450 to €500, but still can't find anything! Even if I email as soon as an ad goes up(most places don't seem to bother with a phone number) I rarely hear back.

I worry my age (I'm in my early twenties) is working against me, but I'd rather live with people at least close enough to my age anyway.

I guess an example of it this week, I spotted a cheap place in rathmines. Room is small, but I'm OK with that. Set up a viewing and then a few hours later, get a text saying "forgot to mention, the house has two dogs and the room has a problem with damp".Arrrgh

/rant

Thanks for all the replies:) ya it seems every place I am going to housewise, as about at least 40 people viewing it.

Tea-Marie: thats awful! I've only been looking 3 days and have gotten fed up! I'm in my early twenties too! What are you doing for accomadation at the moment do you mind me asking?

Really hope I get something soon! For instance, the house I went to see yesterday had a girl in it who was very strange, and I mean if I don't get it, and she had gotten the house over a year ago, it plays on my head:(

It's so fecking depressing:(

I want to live close to the city, driving wise if not walking wise. Budget 300-600. And that's where I have been looking all along!:(

Thanks for all the replies:) ya it seems every place I am going to housewise, as about at least 40 people viewing it.

Tea-Marie: thats awful! I've only been looking 3 days and have gotten fed up! I'm in my early twenties too! What are you doing for accomadation at the moment do you mind me asking?

Really hope I get something soon! For instance, the house I went to see yesterday had a girl in it who was very strange, and I mean if I don't get it, and she had gotten the house over a year ago, it plays on my head:(

It's so fecking depressing:(

I want to live close to the city, driving wise if not walking wise. Budget 300-600. And that's where I have been looking all along!:(

Finally got a place!:) thanks you guys

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Smithfield might be an option for you, you can walk or catch the Luas on lazy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Sandymount, Booterstown, Blackrock and commute by bicycle.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement