Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stock timber identified

Options
  • 11-02-2014 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

This is a few pics of the stock off a 30 year old Beretta 686special 12 gauge shotgun and hoping someone can tell what wood it is made from..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭slim223

Can't tell exactly without seeing it in person. But judging by the grain my guess it is rubberwood (also known as parawood). I'm open to correction. The link below is to a picture of it.
    www.hiwtc.com/photo/products/7/09/76/97666.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

I'd have thought a plain piece of walnut, the colour is right for unfinished walnut, and walnut and beech are the common stock material for firearms. Any finish will darken the wood as will exposure to light.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭slim223

sfakiaman wrote: »
    I'd have thought a plain piece of walnut, the colour is right for unfinished walnut, and walnut and beech are the common stock material for firearms. Any finish will darken the wood as will exposure to light.

I don't think walnut because walnut doesn't have that type grain. Beech has that type of marks in the grain but I think its too dark for beech. where in cork are you OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

Looks like a plain walnut to me almost like the walnut used in some Baikals.
    Any chance of a pic of the butt end grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Beretta

Walnut.
    A piece of very plain, flat sawn / through and through, walnut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

In fairness it had characteristics of beach behind the grip looks like plain Wallnut but forward if the grip is plain enough to be beach. But to be honest its prob a bit early in the stripping process to be 100%.

It still needs a hell of a lot of sanding. If I were to take a stab now I'd say Wallnut. But when your cleaning it beach will come up good and white/yellow.
    I think its Wallnut doe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

It looks more like beech than walnut, though I'm not sure if Beretta ever used beech mon that model. There appears to be very little 'figure' in the wood, except at the wrist, where the grain is going in the right direction for strength. Walnut usually has more figure/marbling.

It does not need much sanding, try raising the scratch near the butt with steam first (hot soldering iron on a wet rag over the scratch). It needs a filler/primer before oiling. Google 'napier stock finish' and you will get loads of info and tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Beretta man

Thanks all for the advice but ended up finishing it yesterday it's not a professional job but it's good enough for a game gun..I think it's 100% better then the old finish
    Ended up staining the stock with a walnut die,gave it 3 coats and 5 coats of tru-oil

Advertisement