Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car detailing (Galway), but few issues!!

Options
  • 11-02-2014 3:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I'm buying a new car that should be delivered in the next 10 days. I want to make sure that the paint is protected correctly from the beginning, so was looking for someone to do a car detailing professionally. With it being a new car, I would rather someone does it properly, than me (completely inexperienced) attempting it.
    Unfortunately the car I'm getting is the display one at the dealers, which means it's already been washed & cleaned.

Current issues:

1- The car is brand new, but the dealer is fitting reverse parking sensors in the rear bumper (as an after market add on). This will involve him having to spray the bumper (at least the area where the sensors are). As far as I understand, I shouldn't be waxing or polishing the new paint for at least a month or even 2 months.
    Do you think I should leave the detailing till the 2 months are over? or can I get it detailed without going near the bumper & then revisit the bumper in 2 months time?

2- I live in Galway. Does anyone know a good car detailer in Galway? If not, (looking through the forum) it seems that Spirit Detailing or Detailing Shed seem to be the best. Does it make sense to take the new car from Galway to Dublin / Leixlip to get this done? I'm afraid that by the time I drive it back, I would have messed up all the good work.

Any input is appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

As the car was a dealer demo car and that it has had previous washes, there is a good chance that they have done a small amount of damage to the paintwork; swirls. So I reckon the car will need a light machine polish to get the paintwork back to 100%.
    Even if the car had brand new off the delivery truck, it still would need a full preparation....this would involve a good wash, de-ironise, de-tar (seeing as its been driven), clay and re-wash.

As the bumber is being painted, you are correct in saying that it will need 2 months approx. to cure properly before anything can be done to it, either polishing or protecting. The best thing to do is to leave it the 2 months before doing anything with it, as the preparation will be the same whether you bring it to be done on day one of ownership or down the line.
    What would be worth considering initially is getting yourself set up with all the proper items you need to keep the car in tip-top shape. For that, the minimum you will need;
    2 buckets & grit guards
    Good wash mitt
    Good shampoo
    A soft, plush microfiber drying towel

Its best to bring your pride & joy to a detailer with a good reputation. You dont want to bring it somewhere to get a job done and it not being right and having to bring it to a good detailer in the end. It may be a bit of a drive, and you may feel that the car might "messed up" by the time you get it back to Galway, but do you intend never to drive the car?? :p Once you have the proper items to wash it when you get back, you should be able to keep the car looking brilliant for years to come!

Best of luck with the new motor! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭wtawfick

Curran wrote: »
    As the car was a dealer demo car and that it has had previous washes, there is a good chance that they have done a small amount of damage to the paintwork; swirls. So I reckon the car will need a light machine polish to get the paintwork back to 100%.
    Even if the car had brand new off the delivery truck, it still would need a full preparation....this would involve a good wash, de-ironise, de-tar (seeing as its been driven), clay and re-wash.

As the bumber is being painted, you are correct in saying that it will need 2 months approx. to cure properly before anything can be done to it, either polishing or protecting. The best thing to do is to leave it the 2 months before doing anything with it, as the preparation will be the same whether you bring it to be done on day one of ownership or down the line.

Thanks Curran,

I think that makes more sense & that's what I was leaning towards in the first place. I just wasn't sure if there was any point in doing the rest of the car & then revisiting the bumper later. I guess this settles it. If the preparation will be the same, be it now or later, then I'll just wait for the 2 months.
    Its best to bring your pride & joy to a detailer with a good reputation. You dont want to bring it somewhere to get a job done and it not being right and having to bring it to a good detailer in the end.

I guess the answer then is no, you don't know any good detailers in Galway!
    It may be a bit of a drive, and you may feel that the car might "messed up" by the time you get it back to Galway, but do you intend never to drive the car?? :p Once you have the proper items to wash it when you get back, you should be able to keep the car looking brilliant for years to come!

I definitely have no intention of never driving it. I'm hoping to make full use of the car. My only concern was if I would be damaging the detailing work that has just been done, if I were to drive the car for a long distance on a rainy muddy day, immediately after the detailing. As long as that is not the case & a proper wash when I get back should be sufficient, then I'm definitely happy to go ahead with that.

No issue with using the car straight after collection post detail. Any protection should be fully cured at the time of collection.

Im not aware of any detailer in Galway.....that has turned out good work and is known in detailing circles.

No issue with using the car straight after collection post detail. Any protection should be fully cured at the time of collection.

Im not aware of any detailer in Galway.....that has turned out good work and is known in detailing circles.

Thanks Curran,

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,297 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Nobody i know of that i would let do much more than hose the car down if im in a hurry :p

• Advertisement

What would be worth considering initially is getting yourself set up with all the proper items you need to keep the car in tip-top shape. For that, the minimum you will need;
    2 buckets & grit guards
    Good wash mitt
    Good shampoo
    A soft, plush microfiber drying towel

I take it that these are the bare minimum. Obviously these are safe to use on the newly painted bumper.
    Don't want to go completely off topic here, but what else do you think I should use to clean up the car (that would be safe on the newly painted bumper) & what should I definitely avoid using at all.

They'd certainly be the minimum for looking after freshly detailing paintwork.
    There'd be other products that you might want to consider, for cleaning wheels, glass, etc.

They'd certainly be the minimum for looking after freshly detailing paintwork.
    There'd be other products that you might want to consider, for cleaning wheels, glass, etc.

For cleaning wheels & glass, I'd be away from the freshly painted bumper, so should be ok. I'm happy to browse through the Forum to look at suggestions (unless you'd be happy to recommend a couple of products ;) ).

My main concern was to make sure I'm not putting on anything that might damage the new paint on the bumper. I remember a while back, there was a thread on newly painted vehicles, but I've somehow lost it & currently failing to find it in the middle of this ever expanding forum :confused:

Personally, I'd take delivery of the car and wait until the weather picks up, so you arent driving the car around on poor road conditions straight after a detail.
    There will be no issue washing and drying freshly painted panels, just be sure not go near them with a power washer...but no issue with an open hose, wash mitt, drying towel.
    No protection or similar products on the fresh paint as it needs to out gas to cure correctly.

Personally, I'd take delivery of the car and wait until the weather picks up, so you arent driving the car around on poor road conditions straight after a detail.
    There will be no issue washing and drying freshly painted panels, just be sure not go near them with a power washer...but no issue with an open hose, wash mitt, drying towel.
    No protection or similar products on the fresh paint as it needs to out gas to cure correctly.

Thanks Curran,

Your help is really appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement