Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Summer Living, Chicago

Options
  • 11-02-2014 4:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Anyone organise their accommodation in Chicago with these guys? The building is 777 South State Street and me and a couple of friends got a pretty good deal.

https://www.facebook.com/J1SummerLiving?ref=ts&fref=ts
    ^That's the link to their Facebook page.

Anyone there last year or heading there this year? Shaping up to be a class summer :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Shifty11

Xoshinho wrote: »
    Anyone organise their accommodation in Chicago with these guys? The building is 777 South State Street and me and a couple of friends got a pretty good deal.

https://www.facebook.com/J1SummerLiving?ref=ts&fref=ts
    ^That's the link to their Facebook page.

Anyone there last year or heading there this year? Shaping up to be a class summer :)

Heading here myself. Looks great. See you on the roof terrace!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kf2

I'm looking for accommodation myself at the moment. This looks fairly good. What are the prices like?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Xoshinho

kf2 wrote: »
    I'm looking for accommodation myself at the moment. This looks fairly good. What are the prices like?

I got a cheap early bird price a while back so paying now will be a fair bit more, I don't know for sure but you could be looking at around 1250 per person if there's a group of 4 or 5 of ye. Gimme a private message on this and I'll give you more info and I can get you in contact with someone who might give you a deal if you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aidan1994

Looks fairly nice, good location.
    Myself and another lad are heading out in late may. Looking for accommodation. Wouldn't mind sharing with a few to lower the aul rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 j1accom

Hi Message me for more details on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 jenreily89

just wondering would chicago be better than Boston?

afew of us have already sorted playing GAA in boston but indecisive about where to go now?

and also , we are all on a J1 except two and just wondering would it be difficult for them to get jobs paid cash in hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 keenozz911

In Chicago there is now accommodation for Irish students only. It holds 880 people and it has indoor swimming pool and gym and is in very good condition. It is used as college accommodation during the other 9 months of the year. Contact me for more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Was over in Chicago last year. This is great accommodation if you want to live right in the middle of town, but bearing in mind Wrigleyville is the place to be for a J1'er, you can get somewhere just as good for a hell of a lot less if you're willing to put in a bit of work!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭qwerty1991

Hey! Just booked my j1 to chicago! Woo so excited. Living with family over there for 2 months, hope everyone finds somewhere to live soon. Living with family is handy but defi itely not gonna be as good craic as living with friends/new friends :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kitten7

what's the job scene like over there for J1ers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Aidan1994

Hey My friend and I are also heading over on the 22nd of May. We're looking for accommodation? Open to getting a crowd and getting a house together make it cheap enough for all what you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

jenreily89 wrote: »
    we are all on a J1 except two and just wondering would it be difficult for them to get jobs paid cash in hand?

That really depends on your connections. If you can find Irish builders, landscapers, etc, you might be able to get something with them.

The problem around here is that all the contractors pick up their day labor from places like Home Depot, where all the illegals hang out early in the morning. I don't know how much they make, but it's not a lot, and it's always on a day-by-day basis.

Our local car wash was raided by immigration last year, and most of the workers were sent back to central America.

Painting and landscaping are usually good options, because you're always on the move.

It can depend on the area, too. The Philadelphia police dept recently announced that they have zero interest in cracking down on illegal alien workers, but I have no idea how it is in Boston or Chicago.

It's obviously a lot easier when you blend in and speak English.

Aidan1994 wrote: »
    Hey My friend and I are also heading over on the 22nd of May. We're looking for accommodation? Open to getting a crowd and getting a house together make it cheap enough for all what you think?

Heading the 21'st with one of the lads as well, we'd be up for it! Hoping to get somewhere in Wrigleyville ideally. Send me a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Razors edge V

Hi ,anyone know what the San Diego arm of the J1 Summer Living crew is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kitten7

Went to a J1 summer living presentation there a while ago.. there has to be a catch. There's no way he organises that many parties for no extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 michelleb1985

Hey guys, new J1 Accommodation Group just set up on Facebook - USIT answering accommodation queries and offering housing in NY and Boston: https://www.facebook.com/groups/J1accommodation/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 joecal1991

Hey,

6 of us got sorted for accommodation really cheap in San Diego from the 28th of May to the 28th of August. Living in Mission Bay so right in the middle of everything. Get in touch with me because I know there are still apartments available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 catmee

Any advice on accommodation or jobs for this year?

catmee wrote: »
    Any advice on accommodation or jobs for this year?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1550040455228157/

Advertisement