Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defacto from sponsorship to residency

Options
  • 11-02-2014 7:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I'm just writing to ask about getting defacto with my partner.
    I am on my second year visa, and he is sponsored already. I am hoping to get under my partner's sponsorship because I won't be able to get sponsored myself. We have been together for three and a half years so we will have enough evidence.. But my partner is also thinking about going for his residency at the end of the year.
    If I apply for defacto on his sponsorship, will I have to apply again when he goes for residency? Or will I automatically go under his residency? I've tried looking at loads of websites, but can't find any answers..
    Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

The best answer you'll get would be to call immigration to be sure.

From my experience with the way immigration works I would assume that he would be your sponsor on his current 457 visa. Once he goes to his residency visa all you would probably have to do is inform immigration of his change of status so it is noted on your application.

I think either way, you will be seeking to get an 820 temp partner visa through his 457 visa or his residency visa as he is the person sponsoring you to remain in Australia. Then from the 820 visa you would eventually move onto the 801 permanent partner visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

New Visa, new application.

My partner was defacto on my 457. I applied for PR in June and she was included as a defacto applicant.

There is no difference in applying as a defacto for either Visas (as far as I can remember anyway, the 457 application was a few years ago).

Obviously, if you are approved as defacto on the 457, it can be used as evidence for the defacto application for the PR.

IMO it would be a waste of time and money for you to apply as a defacto on the 457 Visa if your partner is intending on applying for PR. (This is provided he is in a position to apply for PR prior to the expiration of your WHV)

Advertisement