Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Webmail problem

Options
  • 11-02-2014 8:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭

I used to have an option when logging in to tick basic version in webmail.
    This disappeared yesterday, and when I log in, I cannot see any option to delete mails, or to empty trash.
    The new layout is not at all user friendly. Can I get basic version option restored?
    Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

LynnGrace wrote: »
    I used to have an option when logging in to tick basic version in webmail.
    This disappeared yesterday, and when I log in, I cannot see any option to delete mails, or to empty trash.
    The new layout is not at all user friendly. Can I get basic version option restored?
    Thank you.
    Hi LynnGrace
    Sorry to hear you that you do not find new layout friendly. We have passed on your comments to our development team and I have been advised that we cannot roll back to previous version though.
    Our improved webmail service has been designed to offer more features so it will look quite different to current webmail.
    The new webmail does have more features than our previous mail service.
    • It's faster and better
    • Even more space per mailbox - 5GB storage space
    • Ability to access different email accounts within eircom webmail
    • Personalised look and feel
    • Read RSS feeds in your inbox
    • Webmail on the move - Mobile web access
    Check out the full list of new webmail features here. You can view an online tour of the new service which may help make layout more navigable for you here
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Hi Tony
    Thanks for reply. Unfortunately the link giving the list of features still mentions an option to use basic, and I don't seem to have that option, so that link may be out of date, is it?
    I cannot open the second link provided as it requires Flash Player which I don't have on my iPad.
    Can you tell me how I delete emails in the new layout and how I empty trash?
    When I have my inbox open, and read an email, I only get options to forward, and reply, no option to delete.
    When I open trash, I have no option available to 'empty trash', as I had on the basic version.
    I much preferred seeing all folders down the left hand side of my screen, as per the illustration of homepage on the first link you provided, rather than being in inbox, and seeing nothing else, while in inbox.

I see I am not alone in finding the new version of webmail very problematic. I don't know where to go from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

Click preferences and select login using Standard (HTML)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

I see I am not alone in finding the new version of webmail very problematic. I don't know where to go from here.

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi LynnGrace[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]You should now be able to access to the Basic Version and password issues are resolved. I apologise for the inconvenience caused.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]It may take time familiarising and getting used to the non basic version so it would help to check out the new webmail features here and you will find an online tour of the new service which may help make layout more navigable for you here[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]The following link to contains frequently asked questions regarding the new webmail service as well as a tutorial on how to use webmail[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Thanks[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Al[/font]

• Advertisement

I see the basic version option has been restored. The other one just doesn't display properly, not on iPad anyway, which is my only option when at home. As per my first post, the only options displayed on screen when reading an email in inbox, are reply and forward, and there is no option to empty trash.

I logged in on a desktop this week and the newer version worked fine there.
    Please please leave the basic option version in place until all the hitches are ironed out of the other one, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

I see the basic version option has been restored. The other one just doesn't display properly, not on iPad anyway, which is my only option when at home. As per my first post, the only options displayed on screen when reading an email in inbox, are reply and forward, and there is no option to empty trash.

I logged in on a desktop this week and the newer version worked fine there.
    Please please leave the basic option version in place until all the hitches are ironed out of the other one, thanks.
    Hi LynnGrace
    yes there was an issue with access to basic version. That was resolved early this week. We have been advised that basic will remain in place for now.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Hi LynnGrace
    You should now be able to access to the Basic Version and password issues are resolved. I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

It may take time familiarising and getting used to the non basic version so it would help to check out the new webmail features here and you will find an online tour of the new service which may help make layout more navigable for you here

The following link to contains frequently asked questions regarding the new webmail service as well as a tutorial on how to use webmail

Thanks
    Al

On my PC I have to enter my full username   ******@eircom.net  and password EVERY time I log on, my wife has to do the same on hers, but if she puts in the first letter of my username on her computer  all my details come up automatically. On my Android my username and password come up automatically so I can just click 'Login to webmail' and I'm in.
    Firstly, WHY was this basic facility deleted, even if the @eircom.net was left it would be an improvement, HOW can I /Eircom fix this basic facility  

Capri wrote: »

Hi LynnGrace
    You should now be able to access to the Basic Version and password issues are resolved. I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

It may take time familiarising and getting used to the non basic version so it would help to check out the new webmail features here and you will find an online tour of the new service which may help make layout more navigable for you here

The following link to contains frequently asked questions regarding the new webmail service as well as a tutorial on how to use webmail

Thanks
    Al

On my PC I have to enter my full username   ******@eircom.net  and password EVERY time I log on, my wife has to do the same on hers, but if she puts in the first letter of my username on her computer  all my details come up automatically. On my Android my username and password come up automatically so I can just click 'Login to webmail' and I'm in.
    Firstly, WHY was this basic facility deleted, even if the @eircom.net was left it would be an improvement, HOW can I /Eircom fix this basic facility  

Hi Capri

This would be a result of the settings you are using on the device you are using to log in to your email, if it's working on other devices it should work on yours. I'm unable to offer advice on changing settings of third party devices but a google search should be able to assist, also if you notice an icon appearing "remember my details" when logging in then I recommend choose this.

Thanks

Al

Hi Capri

This would be a result of the settings you are using on the device you are using to log in to your email, if it's working on other devices it should work on yours. I'm unable to offer advice on changing settings of third party devices but a google search should be able to assist, also if you notice an icon appearing "remember my details" when logging in then I recommend choose this.

Thanks

Al

Settings or not , the new Webmail DOES NOT HAVE [email='@eircom.net']'@eircom.net'[/email] on it where you enter your username,I PRESUME that all eircom.net webmail users have @eircom.net after their user name ??, so this feature has been removed from the new webmail ?
     My Android version has it so all I would have to do is put in my user name and the @eircom.net is already there.
    This reminds me of another Eircom episode some time ago - When moving premises Eircom tried to tell me the line WAS connected but I could clearly see that there was no line from the pole to the property, only when I collared a passing Eircom van did they actually believe my story - scéal éile !!

• Advertisement

UPDATE - I went into Webmail on my PC and selected 'Mobile', up pops my username and password and the 'Remember me' icon , tried it a few times and it keeps working so I KNOW that works on my PC, so to my original question - WHAT did Eircom forget to changeover onto the new version of Webmail ?;)

UPDATE - I went into Webmail on my PC and selected 'Mobile', up pops my username and password and the 'Remember me' icon , tried it a few times and it keeps working so I KNOW that works on my PC, so to my original question - WHAT did Eircom forget to changeover onto the new version of Webmail ?;)
    Hi Capri

Sorry to hear this, I'll make online operations aware of this and let you know when I have feedback or further clarification on what has caused this issue.

Thanks

Al

Hi Capri

Sorry to hear this, I'll make online operations aware of this and let you know when I have feedback or further clarification on what has caused this issue.

Thanks

Al

Now my Android version has started asking me for my username and pasword - it's gone from bad to worse with Webmail !! WHY were any changes made by Eircom to something that worked ok in it's original form ??

Hi Capri

Thanks

Al

Now my Android version has started asking me for my username and pasword - it's gone from bad to worse with Webmail !! WHY were any changes made by Eircom to something that worked ok in it's original form ??

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi Capri

I'm aware of the benefit or remembering your username and password can have and apologise if this causing a great inconvenience to you but Tony has listed the reasons for the changes in the response #2 to this thread.

Al[/font]

Hi Capri

Thanks

Al

Hi Capri

I'm aware of the benefit or remembering your username and password can have and apologise if this causing a great inconvenience to you but Tony has listed the reasons for the changes in the response #2 to this thread.

Al

List of 'improvments' from Tony's post
    'The new webmail does have more features than our previous mail service.
    • It's faster and better
    • Webmail on the move - Mobile web access'

[*]

I've tried basic and advanced versions and neither remembers my username/password

'Faster and better' ?? I KNOW that putting @eircom.net is only a minor thing but virtually EVERY other mail service has @gmail.com / @yahoo.com , and they remember your passwords as well for SPEED of use . I think it speaks volumes that eircom.net can't even be bothered to rectify such a small thing !

Hi Capri

Thanks

Al

Hi Capri

Al

List of 'improvments' from Tony's post
    'The new webmail does have more features than our previous mail service.
    • It's faster and better
    • Webmail on the move - Mobile web access'
    [*]

I've tried basic and advanced versions and neither remembers my username/password

'Faster and better' ?? I KNOW that putting @eircom.net is only a minor thing but virtually EVERY other mail service has @gmail.com / @yahoo.com , and they remember your passwords as well for SPEED of use . I think it speaks volumes that eircom.net can't even be bothered to rectify such a small thing !
    [*]
    Hi Capri

You have made this clear on multiple ocasions. I have passed your feedback to operations.

Al

Advertisement