Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation/dining advice

Options
  • 11-02-2014 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

Hopefully this wont be too long winded:

I am planning a birthday weekend for my boyfriend in March, he loves Galway...so Galway it is.

I want to make it perfect as i have been very sick for the past while and he has done everything for me. I want to try to pay him back by getting this birthdat trip right!

I am looking for suggestions for accommodation in either the city centre or around Sea Road/the "back" of Salthill meaning we can walk to Salthill or the city in 10-ish mins. (I went to uni in Galway so i know my way around but the names of roads elude me!).

Other things that would be nice but im flexible on - a view of the sea/bay/harbour/claddagh also it doesnt matter if its a hotel or B&B but something with some charm/character would be good. Also an excellent breakfast would be important for him!

For dining options - any suggestions for a great seafood place and also an authentic Italian within the city itself? They dont need to be fancy but really good food and possibly slightly romantic/with character etc.

Hopefully all this made sense. Its been a while since i have been to Galway so any suggestions for any other places to eat/stay/things to see that may have cropped up would be great.

I have been so sick - now i feel i have a chance to thank him for everything he has done for me...so hopefully you can help!

*phew* - thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

For somewhere to stay on Sea road with character I would stay at the Ivies. B&B with building dating from 1800s. Also where they filmed some of the Jack Taylor series. The Ivies
    For seafood I would always go for Oscars. For Italian perhaps try Venice on Abbeygate street or Il Viccolo on Buttermilk lane for something more romantic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

This might be what you are looking for?

http://www.theheronsrest.com

Supposed to be nice, not cheap, but with extra comfort.

The breakfast menu looks great!

You are right beside Ard Bia and The Kitchen in the museum too if ye want to lay low! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

lovely! thanks guys - keep the suggestions coming! i really want to take him for a romantic meal so the above suggestions look great

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Il Vicolo definitely for real Italian coffee,breakfast,lunch,dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Salthill Hotels ticka a lot of boxes.

Also, The Twelve Hotel in Barna could be worht the taxi ride out of town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 wowee

Have heard great things about The Heron's Rest! You couldn't beat the view from one of their front windows. Also Oscar's is, without doubt, the best for seafood-not sure if I'd describe it as romantic however. Have a great weekend, it sounds as if you have both been through the mill so you deserve it. Let us know where you decide and if it was a success

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

wowee wrote: »
    Have heard great things about The Heron's Rest! You couldn't beat the view from one of their front windows. Also Oscar's is, without doubt, the best for seafood-not sure if I'd describe it as romantic however. Have a great weekend, it sounds as if you have both been through the mill so you deserve it. Let us know where you decide and if it was a success

Thank you so much for such kind words!

I have booked the Marless B&B in Salthill as a co-worker was there recently and loved it. Oscars is a definite - i will book it soon...but any other suggestions for things to do/see/eat/drink would be appreciated.

Again thank you for your kind words. It has been tough but its looking better and my hero boyfriend deserves the best i can organise for him!

x

• Registered Users Posts: 1 itsa_mia

<Please do not sign up to promote a business. It makes us believe you are a proprietor that are looking for free advertising, not cool.
    PM a forum moderator if you have questions about this.>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

wowee wrote: »

Good advice. Two excellent recommendations there.

Kai and Anir are both top notch restaurants also.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Edward9

Kai and Anir are both top notch restaurants also.

Excellent Restaurants

• Advertisement
Advertisement