Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drylining Walls -approx cost?

• 11-02-2014 10:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but it didnt seem to belong anywhere else.

We have a problem with condensation in our 2up-2down terraced house. We got a company in last week to look at it and they said it's not that bad and a chemical pump to alleviate a small bit of rising damp and drylining the 2 affected walls would resolve the problem.

They have quoted €1800 for the drylining alone. This would be the two front walls in our house (living room and bedroom). Is this a reasonable price or should we shop around? We are going to get the chemical pump from them anyway (€250).

Also, we have heavy fitted wardrobes in our room and I just couldn't face removing them so will the drylining be effective if we only do the exposed wall (about 80% of the wall?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭pat35

yellow hen wrote: »
    Sorry if this is the wrong forum but it didnt seem to belong anywhere else.

We have a problem with condensation in our 2up-2down terraced house. We got a company in last week to look at it and they said it's not that bad and a chemical pump to alleviate a small bit of rising damp and drylining the 2 affected walls would resolve the problem.

They have quoted €1800 for the drylining alone. This would be the two front walls in our house (living room and bedroom). Is this a reasonable price or should we shop around? We are going to get the chemical pump from them anyway (€250).

Also, we have heavy fitted wardrobes in our room and I just couldn't face removing them so will the drylining be effective if we only do the exposed wall (about 80% of the wall?)
    1800 is a ridiculous price,half that price would be still alot.Ideally the insulated slabs should be skim coated to give a proper finish.How did the company test the floors for rising damp?.Does the house joined onto you have the same problem?,Is there wall vents in these two rooms? Do you have extractor fans in the bathrooms..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

pat35 wrote: »
    1800 is a ridiculous price,half that price would be still alot.Ideally the insulated slabs should be skim coated to give a proper finish.How did the company test the floors for rising damp?.Does the house joined onto you have the same problem?,Is there wall vents in these two rooms? Do you have extractor fans in the bathrooms..

Thanks pat. To answer your questions:
    1. The report said that moisture was tested by a protein moisture reader (I don't know if that included testing the riding damp)
    2. We're joined on two sides. One side does not have a problem however our other adjoining house had been vacant for 9 years. Although its somewhat maintained by a relative off the owner, I'd imagine it to be very damp. I did tell the surveyor this but he didn't make dng comment and its not included in the report.
    3. There are no wall vents in either room. We did consider getting these but friends with a similar problem didn't find them any benefit and they are quite draughty.
    4. There is no extractor fan in bathroom but I am very careful to open windows after showering to expel moisture. I don't dry wet clothes in the house either.

Stupid question but who do you ask to look at this? A general builder?

Saw doubters we have a regular extractor fan in the kitchen. we don't have any condensation build up in the kitchen or bathroom though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭pat35

Thanks pat. To answer your questions:
    1. The report said that moisture was tested by a protein moisture reader (I don't know if that included testing the riding damp)
    2. We're joined on two sides. One side does not have a problem however our other adjoining house had been vacant for 9 years. Although its somewhat maintained by a relative off the owner, I'd imagine it to be very damp. I did tell the surveyor this but he didn't make dng comment and its not included in the report.
    3. There are no wall vents in either room. We did consider getting these but friends with a similar problem didn't find them any benefit and they are quite draughty.
    4. There is no extractor fan in bathroom but I am very careful to open windows after showering to expel moisture. I don't dry wet clothes in the house either.

Stupid question but who do you ask to look at this? A general builder?

Saw doubters we have a regular extractor fan in the kitchen. we don't have any condensation build up in the kitchen or bathroom though.
    Does the house next door have vents and extractor fans?You should have vents and extractor fansYour friends didnt find the vents any good because they closed the vents.However if you did fit insulated dry lining board on the external wall it would help plus make the house a lot warmer.A recommended plasterer or recommended builder would do this.also fit vents and extractor fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

pat35 wrote: »
    However if you did fit insulated dry lining board on the external wall it would help ...

... or hide the problem and ultimately make it worse.

Proceed carefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I appreciate your responses but I'm more confused now.
    The facts are that we have a damp problem and a finite amount of money to spend on it. The options are
    A. Do nothing
    B. put a vent in the relevant rooms and continue to use dehumidifier, not dry clothes etc
    C. Dryline the walls in addition to the above
    D. Do something else with the damp as mick seems to suggest. Although I don't know what that something else is..

What to do????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

I appreciate your responses but I'm more confused now.
    The facts are that we have a damp problem and a finite amount of money to spend on it. The options are
    A. Do nothing
    B. put a vent in the relevant rooms and continue to use dehumidifier, not dry clothes etc
    C. Dryline the walls in addition to the above
    D. Do something else with the damp as mick seems to suggest. Although I don't know what that something else is..

What to do????

A variation to B above: Install a simple MEV system and improve the heating regime (MEV - mechanical extract ventilation) + no drying of clothes indoors.
    PM sent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭teecee74

Hi

Apologies for the long post but hope it's useful.

I have a modern (<10 years old) 2 up 2 down terraced house with an extra room added on at the back - the 2 bedrooms and bathroom are downstairs and an open planning living room/kitchen upstairs. The house is generally warm and cosy with the exception of the back bedroom which is essentially a flat roof extension (actually a hipped roof). It was always much colder than the rest of the house and black condensation/mold patches appeared along one side - even though there was a vent in the room. In the mornings there was condensation running down the windows and even my duvet felt damp. About 4 years ago I invested in a PIV ventilation system and it didn't improve things at all.

Last November I got someone in to dry line the bedroom - 3 external walls and also the ceiling as it seemed less hassle and more benefit than making an insection hole in the ceiling and then trying to shove in insulation.

He put the thinner warm board on the ceiling and the medium one on the walls, a vapour barrier and skimmed everything. It's been a mild winter and I know it's only been 3 months but it's amazing the difference it's made. The room no longer has a musty small, it's always warm when the rest of the house is warm - I've even had to turn down the radiator which is certainly not something I had to do before.

The cost for the 3 walls, ceiling and skimming was 1350. I looked around for 3 quotes but only 2 turned up and 1 guy clearly wasn't interested and didn't bother getting back with a quote. I'm happy that job was done well and that I wasn't fleeced. It took about 4 days. I'd definitely recomend the guy who did the work - let me know if you want his details. I also got him to do some work on my roof so he can do most things - though he brought in an electrician and plummer obviously.

Advertisement