Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal drive

Options
  • 11-02-2014 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Which is best...

Rotational speed: Variable or 7200rpm ?

Does it mean it could spin up to 7200rpm if needed?

Just to clarify my question... I'm not asking about different speeds and how they work. I'm asking how does a Variable drive work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Variable speed drives are used in environments where power consumption is critical - and allows the computer to only spin up the drive as much as it needs to and thus save power. If you're just surfing the net for example, and fast hard drive access isn't required, the computer will spin it up to (say) 2000 RPM. Of course, if the computer needs fast access to the drive, it can crank it up to the maximum speed of the drive. What that maximum speed is, will depend on the drive itself.

Better? Hard to say. If you're concerned about power consumption, say, in a laptop, then it's better in terms of prolonging the battery life of the machine.

Advertisement