Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patio on top of concrete slabs?

• 11-02-2014 10:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

I got a few quotes for having a patio laid last year and am now thinking of getting it done. One thing that struck me was that a couple of the contractors said that that patio could be laid on top of the existing concrete slabs that are there. Is this correct? I would have thought that the slabs should be removed, and everything leveled out etc?

On another note, if anyone has any recommendations for contractors they have used and been happy with, I'd appreciate if you could give me details.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

On another note, if anyone has any recommendations for contractors they have used and been happy with, I'd appreciate if you could give me details.
    Your location may give you better answers;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

any photos of the concrete slab. jack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I put a patio over a concrete slab that was in the back yard, no issues 2 years on.

However I wouldn't put sandstone in a north facing garden again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

We had a new patio laid on top of old concrete 2 x 2 slabs a few years ago. The contractor said as the old slabs were solid they would make a perfect base. It worked out fine. The only issue is that the new patio will be higher so make sure you have the clearance for your house damp proof course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I got a few quotes for having a patio laid last year and am now thinking of getting it done. One thing that struck me was that a couple of the contractors said that that patio could be laid on top of the existing concrete slabs that are there. Is this correct? I would have thought that the slabs should be removed, and everything leveled out etc?

Can I ask what size patio you are laying and what were the ballpark figure quotes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Staplor wrote: »
    I put a patio over a concrete slab that was in the back yard, no issues 2 years on.

However I wouldn't put sandstone in a north facing garden again!!

When selecting which stone to use for a north facing garden (ie shaded area = lingering damp etc), choosing the correct colour and doing the appropriate ground preparation is much more important than deciding which material.

There is nothing wrong with using sandstone, the trick is to pick the correct colour.

No matter what material you do use, you will always need to clean after winter. The brighter the stone, the more cleaning which will be required!

OP - if you're existing concrete base is stable you can lay new paving on top. It is worth remembering that often, concrete flags are laid onto sand/weak sand cement mix, neither of which be suitable base for a new patio. If there are any signs of unevenness, cracking, loose slabs etc, better to remove. A firm and stable base is an essential prerequisite for installing any patio.

Advertisement