Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice Helmet City?

• 11-02-2014 10:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭

Bought a Shark Evoline 3 from Helmet City at the NEC bike show in Birmingham before christmas. After only using it once the bottom of the helmet has broke away (plastic support around the base) Sent numerous emails to HC and was told to leave it into a Shark Dealers up north or south. So I rang Cotters and they said to drop it up and the Shark Distributor would collect it. Helmet sat in Cotters (not Cotters fault, they were very good getting it sorted) for a week before being collected by Helmet City.

Would be hard pushed to buy a Shark lid again after this, honestly taught they were made to a much higher standard TBH.

Any way 3 weeks gone by and still no repair.......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Contact the Irish Shark distributor directly and outline the issue - ideally send an email with the dates and contact details of the people you have been dealing with, see if they can put you in touch with the 'Shark technical team'

Sure its dodgy buying something in the UK and getting the Irish distributor to deal with it but the warranty should extend to the EU. What happens if you buy online from HelmetCity? Maybe the right course of action would have been to post it back to HelmetCity and request replacement/refund.

'cpt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I sent an email to SHARK directly to see what the best route is....awaiting reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

The 2nd time I wore my Shark Vision R last year I came off the bike and hit helmet first. Eventually I got around to dropping it back to Cotters (bought it from them at RDS) who sent it back to Shark for assessment. Turn around time from dropping it to Cotters to collecting it from Cotters was roughly 3-4 weeks. Came back assessed and told it was a no go to continue wearing.

I've heard good things about the Shark support in the UK from the Fazer forum I am on but didn't experience that level of support myself. I have an email address for a Shark rep in the UK I'll send to you by PM, he might be able to help you out - the support from the Shark website would be from France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A helmet manufacturer is never going to tell you it's ok to use a lid that's been in a crash - they lose a sale and possibly open themselves up to being sued, so of course they're going to tell you to replace it.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wonda contact the European Consumer Centre. It's their job to help people with issues arising from cross border purchases within the EU.

I can't believe someone who crashed and landed first on their lid asked was it ok to keep using it. Helmets are designed to save your head one time only, even if the outer shell looks OK all the energy absorbing material is compromised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Contact the Irish Shark distributor directly and outline the issue - ideally send an email with the dates and contact details of the people you have been dealing with, see if they can put you in touch with the 'Shark technical team'

Sure its dodgy buying something in the UK and getting the Irish distributor to deal with it but the warranty should extend to the EU. What happens if you buy online from HelmetCity? Maybe the right course of action would have been to post it back to HelmetCity and request replacement/refund.

'cpt

Crappy service maybe so, but tbh not buying it off Cotters, and then expecting them to facilitate you is a bit of an imposition really..........this is the downside of online buying. Grand for nuts/bolts & things, but clothing and helmets....mmm, I think the backup of a shop stands for something. If you'd bought it off Cotters they may even have stepped in and sorted it themselves.

It must be driving high street retailers nuts, this kind of thing: they're only being used as 'try before you buy -somewhere else !' facility.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Del2005 wrote: »
    I can't believe someone who crashed and landed first on their lid asked was it ok to keep using it. Helmets are designed to save your head one time only, even if the outer shell looks OK all the energy absorbing material is compromised.

It doesn't hurt to ask. This is the lid in question straight after. It was a low speed spill and the damage appeared to be mostly cosmetic. I went back to wearing my old lid afterwards and said i'd chance it, helmet was only gathering dust after the crash. It was free of charge and I'd heard stories (myths?) about shark replacing/reconditioning damaged lids out of good will in some cases.

I ended up replacing it with the same model afterwards, at least I knew it worked :D

galwaytt wrote: »
    Crappy service maybe so, but tbh not buying it off Cotters, and then expecting them to facilitate you is a bit of an imposition really..........this is the downside of online buying. Grand for nuts/bolts & things, but clothing and helmets....mmm, I think the backup of a shop stands for something. If you'd bought it off Cotters they may even have stepped in and sorted it themselves.

It must be driving high street retailers nuts, this kind of thing: they're only being used as 'try before you buy -somewhere else !' facility.

Where did I say I wanted COTTERS to facilitate me??? :rolleyes:

It is Helmet City who were dragging their feet, I dont have a problem with Cotters. I bought my last set of PR3s off them....

I was told to leave it with either Crossans or Cotters by Helmet City as they were the closest to me (as they were told by Nevis the shark european distributors). I then rang Cotters 1st to ask would this be okay and they said no probs drop it up. Cotters were a great help in fairness, especially Steve. I would have bought it off Cotters originally but there is no way they would have been able to price match what I paid for it in the NEC, it was the brand new colour which fetches a premium on its own and only out and I paid €270. They are €400 everywhere even online......

Got sorted in the end, helmet was REPLACED with a new colour that was not available at the show. And was delivered to Cotters for me, all in all it took just over 3 weeks. Dont know if that is normal for a turnaround as I never had a faulty lid before but sorted in the end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement