Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meet joey100, the man who for one month at least knocked Fazz off his perch

Options
  • 11-02-2014 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

Previous threads of this series are:

Kurt Godel
    littlemsfickle
    BTH
    Green&Red
    Catzweazle
    Dory
    Oryx
    RQ
    Fazz
    Bambaata
    pgibbo
    AKW
    shotgunmcos
    peter kern
    zico10

My week is up and I’m passing you over to a newcomer to the SBR Challenge, someone who has sursprised many by the distances he’s logging, and who according to Herr Kern has the best named log around here. So without further ado, I hand you over to joey100.

Reading your log I see you go to interested’s swim sessions on Friday nights. I also heard through the grapevine there’s a skinny guy, covered in tattoos, called Joey, who goes to these sessions. Is that you?
    Another poster has taken out copyright on the question ‘What tattoos have you got?’, so I’ll leave that to them.

Have you ever lined up against Fazz? If so, how did you fare?
    What has been your biggest scalp so far in tri?
    Have you any specific time goals this season?
    And finally, are you a fan of Joe 90?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Cheers Zico,

Yep that's me at the Friday night swim sessions alright.
    Have you ever lined up against Fazz? If so, how did you fare?

Nope, not that I know of, and will probably stay that way for a while. Fazz would be a lot faster than me. This is my second season with proper training and even though I'm seeing improvements I'm still away off the likes of Fazz.
    What has been your biggest scalp so far in tri?

Not sure to be honest. Had a few decent results last year but didn't really know who I was competing against so not sure who I beat. Looking at my times and positions though I wouldn't say there was any really. Hopefully something I might change this year.
    Have you any specific time goals this season?

Was only talking a fella in the club about this the other day, the opinion seems to be to aim high and see how close you can get. With that in mind I'm looking at a 1.05 sprint (last year's PB was a 1.08.xx) and as close to 2.10 for Olympic as I can (last years PB was 2.13.00 at joey Hannon, in open water and longer transition around 2.16.xx).
    And finally, are you a fan of Joe 90?

I remember hearing the name alright but the fact I had to google it would say I'm not a fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Hi joey,

1. How does your training volume compare this year to last? Have you any TT or race indicators so far of progress?
    2. Will you swim under a 6:00 400TT this year?
    3. Whats your favourite swim set?
    4. How important is company for the long bike rides?
    5. Any interest in wearing a green suit for international AG race?

Hey Kurt,

1. How does your training volume compare this year to last? Have you any TT or race indicators so far of progress?

Training volume is up on this time last year, but down on the peak of last year. I hope to start increasing a little at a time over the next few weeks and taking it slowly to see how the body reacts to it. Mondays turbo is usually an hour and a half and was upped to two hours this week and haven't felt any worse for it so will try to stick to that.

The only race indicator I have is the Naas duathlon. Last year I done it, well part of it, the rear wheel jammed on the bike so only the first run done. But was around 40 seconds quicker over 3.5km this year. A good improvement and one that I have been working hard on. The bike right now is down a bit on my peak last year but is up on where it was this time last year, based on virtual power using trainer road. But part of this is down to me cheating a bit on my FTP tests last year and not really attacking the 5 min test, was more concerned about getting a high number. Resulted in really hard sessions on the bike that I struggled to hold and regularly didn't finish. Wasn't good for the confidence either. Swim volume is probably down to but the quality is much higher. Have really improved from Interested's sessions, think I was around 6.08 for 400m last year and I'm around 6.04 now. But the difference is I can hold around 6.25 for them now.
    2. Will you swim under a 6:00 400TT this year?

I would love to. A bit like a sub 20 5km in a tri this is a marker I really want to beat. I've come close (6.04) and have swam 4 X 400 off 6.40 and had a rest at each one so reckon it's there with a bit of work and fitness.
    3. Whats your favourite swim set?

Not sure to be honest, can see the benefit of 100's but find anything above 10 X 100 hard, I get bored easily and if I'm doing this by myself it's tough. Enjoy the longer sets ( 4 X 400m) or a broken 400m set so 3 X (4 X 50m off 50 and then 200 off 3.30). A tough session but good to finish. I'm probably abit different than most and like a good kick set, probably the only chance I get to go faster than most people in the pool.
    4. How important is company for the long bike rides?

Very. Makes it a lot more bearable. The longest I would have done by myself is around 70-80km but with a group I have gone 125km. Just makes time pass that much quicker.
    5. Any interest in wearing a green suit for international AG race?

Yes and no. Don't like the high cost behind it but it is something I would have some interest in doing. If it was in a nice area that I could combine a holiday with. And if I was going with a decent chance of doing well. I'd probably (at the moment anyway) be more interested in doing a normal race in a foreign country. The ocean lava in Lanzarote looks nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

joey100

I only read 2 blogs the comedy blog and the one of a guy that really trains. Is it worth it, having a look at yours ?

how many rest days do you take?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Hi Joey

Age, height, weight?
    What is your sporting history?
    Which do you do better, ascending or descending on the bike?
    How important is your diet to you, are you very careful about what you eat?
    Most precious tri-related item you own?
    What part of your body would you NOT have tattooed?
    The triathlon genie grants you three wishes. They are?

• Advertisement

Hey Peter,
    I only read 2 blogs the comedy blog and the one of a guy that really trains. Is it worth it, having a look at yours ?

Not sure to be honest, I write up what I do but it's more so I have a record of my training that I can look back over. You might find a lot wrong if you look over it so might be worth it from my point of view but not sure about yours. And so you know Peter, I was the fella from Activ Multisport (with the tattoos) who was at the endless pool a few weeks back. I've bought a set of paddles since.;)

how many rest days do you take?

Nothing really set in stone with these, but I take them when I feel I need to. From last years training I've found that I work better doing active recovery, so slow runs, slow swims and spinning the legs on the bike. I do take complete days off when I feel I need to and am just starting back this week after a recovery week and a Sunday off.

Hey Oryx,
    Age, height, weight?

30, 5''8 (or just a little bit under) and 61kgs.
    What is your sporting history?

Bit of everything in here. Played a lot of football when I was younger. Never had the natural talent to be brilliant but I worked hard and done well from it. Got annoyed of the lads with bags of natural talent who thought that was all they needed so stopped playing properly in around my mid teens. Still played a bit in college and done ok.

Kayaking was my main sport growing up, started around 8 and loved it. Liked the way I didn't have to rely on anyone else, it was all up to me. If I capsized or swam it was because of something I done. I was kayaking when some of the biggest changes in the boat design happened, boats changed from being 3 metres long to under 2.2 metres. It meant I actually had more control on the boat and could get it to do what ever I wanted. I competed in freestyle kayaking, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGrOB52myUA, that sort of stuff. Done quite well and won a few competitions, had a decent level of sponsorship and travelled around France competing and running rivers. Pretty much gave it up after watching my dad nearly drown and the drowning of a friend. Still paddle every now and again but not to the same level that I did.
    Which do you do better, ascending or descending on the bike?

Climbing definitely. I am probably the biggest chicken you will meet when it comes to descending.
    How important is your diet to you, are you very careful about what you eat?

I try to eat healthy but it wouldn't be the most important thing to me. I'm lucky in that I was never very heavy and seem to hold off weight well. With my training over the last year or so I can eat what I want really and don't seem to gain weight. I love ice cream and jelly sweets, and I probably should be keeping a better eye on my diet.
    Most precious tri-related item you own?

My tri bike without a doubt. It's my pride and joy and has always been kept in the spare bedroom. It even gets transported in the car.
    What part of your body would you NOT have tattooed?

Not a fan of face or neck tattoos really. Anything else I'd consider, would love to have my hands done but can't really get it done.
    The triathlon genie grants you three wishes. They are?

To be able to run fast. I think the run is my worst part of my race. I'd love to be able to run a sub 18 min 5km. I'm trying something new in training this year and it seems to be working but this would be up there.

Second would be to stay injury and sickness free, consistency is so important in training that if I could stay injury and sickness free I'd have no excuses not to do well.

Third would probably be that one day I get to Kona. Until recently I had no desire at all to race Ironman, but the more training I do and the more improvements I'm seeing it's something I would like to do one day.

with what zico wrote and your post about active multisprt I had figured out it was you.

I have one more question if you dodnt mind.
    What makes you such a positive person?
    The 2 times i have seen you I noticed something, i see very rarely with triathletes, you seem to smile and are in a good mood , all the time .

No problem Peter,
    What makes you such a positive person?

People who have to live with me might not agree with you there Peter. But when you have seen me i am doing something I enjoy, I enjoy training, I enjoy racing.

Part of it comes from my job, I work with kids who have been through more in their lives than anyone should have been through. Makes you appreciate the little things. For me triathlon is fun, yes I want to do well but if it wasn't fun I wouldn't do it. The majority of people I have met through it are nice people and are up for a laugh so there isn't the need to be serious the whole time. I was the same when I competed in kayaking, some people would get into the 'zone' and be all serious, I found it more relaxing just to chat with people and have a laugh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

How many bikes have you got? What are they? Pics?
    What is your dream bike?
    What's your favourite flavour of crisps?
    Favourite distance?
    Bucklist race?
    Favourite training session?
    Least favourite session?
    What got you into tri?

• Advertisement

Thanks for your answer!
    and you are obviously in the right job,as iam sure you deal with those kids very well, given your charisma.
    joey100 wrote: »
    No problem Peter,

People who have to live with me might not agree with you there Peter. But when you have seen me i am doing something I enjoy, I enjoy training, I enjoy racing.

Part of it comes from my job, I work with kids who have been through more in their lives than anyone should have been through. Makes you appreciate the little things. For me triathlon is fun, yes I want to do well but if it wasn't fun I wouldn't do it. The majority of people I have met through it are nice people and are up for a laugh so there isn't the need to be serious the whole time. I was the same when I competed in kayaking, some people would get into the 'zone' and be all serious, I found it more relaxing just to chat with people and have a laugh.

Hey RQ,
    How many bikes have you got? What are they? Pics?

At the moment I have four. An Eddie Merckx that I use for general training and commuting, carbon frame, 105 groupset. Not a bad bike, just can't seem to fet fully comfortable on it.

A Scott CR1 pro with ultegra Di2. Weighs in around 7.5kg, built from frame up and from bits I got on sale. Newest bike and hasn't been used a whole lot but will be taking to Sardinia with me for club training camp.

An Argon 18 E118 as my tri bike. Sram force on it. Love this bike, maybe not as aero as some other bikes but doubt I'd notice the difference. Plan is to upgrade the parts to Ultegra Di2 eventually and get a power meter for it.

Turbo bike is a HED aerolab. Ultegra deraillers on it with shimano shifters, no brakes on it because it does not leave the turbo. This might be getting sold in the next months to fund a power meter but depends on finances.

No pics at the moment but think they are in the images of beauty thread somewhere.
    What is your dream bike?

Like most bikes, that's the problem. Love my TT bike but if I was to change it I would probably look at the new trek speed concept or the canyon speedmax cf. Both lovely looking bikes. If I ever get the ultegra DI2 on my bike I'd pretty much have my dream bike though.
    What's your favourite flavour of crisps?

Either salt and vinegar hoolahoops or chilli heatwave doritos. Don't think I could decide between the two.
    Favourite distance?

At the moment Olympic, but mainly because I seem to do better at that distance. Only done sprint and Olympic though.
    Bucklist race?

Not sure really. Maybe Kona? Hell of the west in Ireland, never got to do it and won't get to do it this year because trying to save for a house.
    Favourite training session?

Anything on the bike really, can seem to suffer on the bike better than anything else. 6 X 4 mins at 105% with 45 seconds recovery is tough but good when you get it done, if you finish it.
    Least favourite session?

Probably a long 100 session in the swim. Heart drops a bit when I see 20 X 100m on the session plan. Not because it's too tough but just because I get bored during it and find it hard to concentrate for the full time.
    What got you into tri?

I moved in with the gf a few years back and had pretty much stopped kayaking, we used to go to the gym few times a week. Never really into the weights or anything but used to swim a bit, run a bike and bike a bit. Signed up to do a try a tri and enjoyed it. Good to have something to train for, done the event in Athy and found it great. Done a little bit more the next year and went back and done it again and came third. Was up to Olympic by the end of the summer and still enjoying it. After that joined Activ Multi sport and from there have improved to where I am now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hi Joey!! :D

Okay, let's get this question out of the way....how many tattoos do you have, and what and where are they?

Additionally, how old were you when you got your first tattoo...and could you tell us a little about the circumstances surrounding getting that first tattoo?

When might you try your hand at your first HIM?

Have you ever completed a marathon? If so, what is your PB? And if not, what is the longest distance you have run in a race, and its corresponding PB?

Speaking in terms of favorite to least favorite, in what order would you rank the three disciplines?

Speaking in terms of how you stack up against the field from most competitive to least competitive, in what order would you rank the three disciplines?

What is the biggest asset you bring to a race? (keep it clean! ;))

Most embarrassing moment you've ever had in training or at a race?

If you could have one super-hero power, what would it be and why?

Favorite band or genre of music you listen to?

Do you have a favorite song to psych you up before a race?

What is your favorite color?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

The man who keeps Fazz honest hmmm...

What would be your kayaking technique advise?

How long can you do a handstand against a wall for after reading this? :D

61kg :eek: If you can apply the whitewater confidence to your bike descents you would be savage. What was the scariest kayak run you have done?

Could you eat a bowl of crushed dry cornflakes without milk?

If you were as good at tri as you were at kayaking, where would you be on the Irish tri scene?

Hottest female elite triathlete?

Hey Dory,
    how many tattoos do you have, and what and where are they?

Additionally, how old were you when you got your first tattoo...and could you tell us a little about the circumstances surrounding getting that first tattoo?

Not sure on an exact number, depends what you count as one tattoo. I have initials on the back of my neck, Roman numerals across my chest, Arabic writing down my right ribs, Tribal on top of back with latin writing underneath it, 4 big stars down my spine, two roses one on each hip bone but on my stomach (if that makes sense), Symbols on both wrists, writing down the outside bone on my left forearm, Maori/polynesian sleeve on right arm, japanese sleeve on left arm, Poynesian design on my right leg from knee down with some japanese flowers in it and then polynesian design on my right foot.

First one I got when I was 22, had been waiting a while to get one and just built up the courage. Some mean something to me, some I just like the art and some I got because I just wanted a tattoo.
    When might you try your hand at your first HIM?

Plan is to spend at least the next two seasons at Olympic distance but like all good plans I probably won't stick to it and could see myself doing one next season if training was going well.
    Have you ever completed a marathon? If so, what is your PB? And if not, what is the longest distance you have run in a race, and its corresponding PB?

Nope, longest race has been a 10km and I've only done one standalone one. A smashing time of 48.50. My PB over 10km is from an Olympic tri and was 41.30.
    Speaking in terms of favorite to least favorite, in what order would you rank the three disciplines?

Favourite is the bike, I've finally found a sport that suits my size and weight. Next two would be close but I'd probably say I prefer the run just because it's a bit more social and can be done a bit handier without having to head to a pool.
    Speaking in terms of how you stack up against the field from most competitive to least competitive, in what order would you rank the three disciplines?

Judging by my times last year in the swim and bike I'm fairly even. Probably a bit better on the bike in relation to other people. Run would be my weakest.
    What is the biggest asset you bring to a race? (keep it clean! )

Not too sure. Could be the fact I'm fairly laid back and don't get too stressed. Could be I can be pretty stubborn and don't like to give in. If someone says I can't do something usually spurs me on. Either of them things.
    Most embarrassing moment you've ever had in training or at a race?

Nothing yet really, but I'm sure there will be some.
    If you could have one super-hero power, what would it be and why?

Probably to be able to fly, just because it would be cool! I don't like heights but I reckon I could get used to them.
    Favorite band or genre of music you listen to?

Like a bit of everything really, Kings of leon, Rudimental, bit of bluegrass even. Have a wide and varied taste in music. Probably the strangest band on my Ipod would be gogel bordello (not sure how spell it) a Romanian traditional/punk band.
    Do you have a favorite song to psych you up before a race?

Liking some of the Rudimental stuff at the moment but don't really listen to music too much at the start of a race. Find it more relaxing talking to the gf and other club members, helps me relax and eases any nerves.
    What is your favorite color?

Something bright and in your face, probably yellow or red (could be part of the reason I joined Activ Multisport!)

Thanks Dory!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

I'd probably (at the moment anyway) be more interested in doing a normal race in a foreign country. The ocean lava in Lanzarote looks nice.

easy question so, will i meet you in Lanzarote for the Ocean lava half end of 2015? (i did the ocean lava quarter last november, absolutely loved it, would go back for the half this year but it doesn't suit, so have made a promise to myself to get back there for it next year)

i'm impressed by the level of training, given the focus on olympic. Are you doing this level because you enjoy that much training irrespective of end results, or because you think that's what's needed to make you competitive?

Fazz is going long on similar training levels(for now anyway). Are you getting the training levels right for long distance now to get used to them?

Focus on olympic distance, but no post in the kilkee thread, don't remember you mentioning it,and not on your goal list race.Given it's the NC, the best will be there,
    1) are you doing it
    2)if not why not
    3) if yes: predicted time

:)

Hey Shotgun,
    What would be your kayaking technique advise?

The big thing for complete beginners would be to concentrate on keeping the boat straight, no need to add in extra metres to the race by having to keep turning the boat.

I don't know if it is the same in rowing but you don't have to paddle fast to go fast. Keep the blade of the paddle close to the boat, run it parallel to the boat from your toes to your hips, nice and tight. You will hit your hands a few times but this is were the most power is, blades further away from the boat to control direction. Keep your top hand high and push with this hand as you pull with your bottom hand. Try and use your core alongside this so you are using body twist as well as arms to pull the blade through the water. Hope this makes some sense, If you have any questions for your adventure race team just let me know.
    How long can you do a handstand against a wall for after reading this

0 seconds, have tried this drunk and I'd say if I wasn't drunk I would have hurt myself so definitely a 0!
    What was the scariest kayak run you have done?

Probably a river in France called Chateau queyras. It's a tight gorge, around 2 metres wide at it's narrowest. Only a short run, around 1.5km on the water but once your on it and in the gorge your staying there until the end. We drove from the bottom where you get out up to the top and it was around 1.5km in the car. Once we got to the top about 5 of us who were doing it jumped out and got to the bottom before the car, a few mins before the car. It's a grade 4 + run and is scary as hell. After we ran it we found out that because of the high water levels the french police had closed the gorge and people weren't meant to be on it.
    Could you eat a bowl of crushed dry cornflakes without milk?

Another nope, not a chance!
    If you were as good at tri as you were at kayaking, where would you be on the Irish tri scene?

I done well in a few kayaking competitions but at the time I was more known for my paddling on rivers. I grew up with a bunch of lads and we were there as kayaking went through a huge change. This opened up a lot for us, we could run rivers that hadn't really been done, we could do lines that no one else had done and we could surf bigger waves. It was a combination of all of these rather than how good I was at competing that got me to where I was. If it's how good I was at kayaking overall I'd say probably top ten in the tri scene. I was pretty good but I was very confident about how good I was, and that's what you need when you are running big rivers. A lot of it is technique and another good chunk is just having the guts to do stuff. I was good at both. Got to a stage where as a group we were probably too confident about our abilities and there were a few scares on the France trip. We were running rivers using a ten year old guide book, in boats that were as small as we could get ourselves into, driving around in a ten year old fiesta with 3 boats on the roof. It worked out well in the end but there were a few scares and it started to rein us in a bit.

Alright Mossy,

Ocean Lava is a race I'd love to do, I reckon the course would suit me with it's climbing and if I can sort out my descending it would definitely be on the cards. When though I'm not 100% sure.

Are you doing this level because you enjoy that much training irrespective of end results, or because you think that's what's needed to make you competitive?

It's a bit of both to be honest. I do enjoy my training (apart from the early mornings) and most of the time look forward to it. I do think that's what's needed to be competitive too though. From the bit of what I've seen the top lads do they probably do more. Some of it is with an eye to the future though, trying to get my body used to high training levels so the jumps up the distance aren't too bad.
    Think that sort of answers your other question too.

No Kilkee for me, never done it, was looking forward to doing it but I'm trying to save for house so with the cost of entry+accomodation+spending money+travel I can't do it this year. The majority of my races this year will be ones I can drive to and come home the same day. Watching the penny's! Even if I was there I wouldn't be changing the result, here's hoping next year I'll be able to compete.

Probably the strangest band on my Ipod would be gogel bordello (not sure how spell it) a Romanian traditional/punk band.

(love Gogol Bordello....fave song to run hills on is Super Taranta! ;))

With all the art that is on your body, I have to ask.....if you were to go to "the city" for the day with your girl friend, are you more likely to a) go to a play, b) see Cirque du Soleil, c) visit an art museum, or d) attend a concert?

(P.S. not only did you knock Fazz off his perch, but I think you've set the bar on the most timely responses to our questions!! )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Rudimental, KoL, I like the cut of your gib, what bluegrass would you recommend?

From your times and goals it sounds like we are in and around the same, (Dont think its been asked....so) what races are you planning this year?

I see your A race is DCT, will you be able to keep up ur current volume until then? You must have another peak planned somewhere earlier?

What do u do for a living that will allow u take a run at lunch?

Whats your favourite book?

Do you watch telly? If so, what?

Whats a good nite out?

What keeps you up at nite? (keep it clean)

What would be your patronus?

• Advertisement

Hello again Dory,
    With all the art that is on your body, I have to ask.....if you were to go to "the city" for the day with your girl friend, are you more likely to a) go to a play, b) see Cirque du Soleil, c) visit an art museum, or d) attend a concert?

It would probably be go to see Cirque du Soleil, I went to see one in Las Vegas and it was amazing. Thought the tickets were expensive when we got them but worth every penny. Never really been to see a play, concerts are good but too full of drunk people to be enjoyable sometimes. I like some art, have a few friends who are artists but wouldn't be into going to a museum to see it, like stuff that's a bit different. Remember seeing photo's of an artist who made portraits using screws, they were screwed in different depths to get the contrast and it was pretty cool.

Alright G&R,
    what bluegrass would you recommend?

Can't remember the name of the band but the soundtrack from Lawless is pretty good. Some real traditional stuff on it.
    I see your A race is DCT, will you be able to keep up ur current volume until then? You must have another peak planned somewhere earlier?

I'll probably take a bit of a mini break in June, partly because I'm heading away for a week and partly because I will probably need it. If last season is anything to go by I will probably have a mini peak around April/May so if I could get it to match with 3d tri or Athy I'd be happy.
    From your times and goals it sounds like we are in and around the same, (Dont think its been asked....so) what races are you planning this year?

Think we are in and around the same alright, and think we are both looking at a bit of bike racing this year too. Still not 100% sure on races but looking like 3d Sprint in the NAC, TriAthy Olympic, Henley sprint in London, Triathlone Sprint, Caroline Kearney Olympic and Dublin city Tri. Might add one in after Dublin, maybe Beast of the East but that will be decided later in the season. Would hope to do another duathlon or two and some bike races too during the summer, not sure which ones yet though.
    Whats your favourite book?

Not a big reader but did enjoy the Tyler hamilton book the secret race. Liked the book lawless that the film was based on and fight club was a good book too.
    Do you watch telly? If so, what?

Watch a bit but wouldn't really watch anything religiously. Any sport that's on really. Enjoyed the series Speed with Guy Martin, seems like a nice fella, few screws loose but good craic. Have been watching the american office on netflix a good bit recently.
    Whats a good nite out?

Few years ago would have been going out and getting drunk, having a kebab on the way home and back to a house party. Now it's more a good meal with the gf and if there is anything good on in the cinema.
    What keeps you up at nite? (keep it clean)

Nothing really, when I start racing first I did have a bit of trouble sleeping before races but that's it. I'm fairly laid back and don't get too stressed so suppose it's a good thing.
    What do u do for a living that will allow u take a run at lunch?

I'm a youth worker. I've recently moved to Ringsend and we have a shower and some decent space to run close by. Most of the time the kids I work with don't come in until half 2 so I've been looking at moving some paperwork to give me a chance to run in the afternoons. Yet to happpen but fingers crossed.
    What would be your patronus?

Had to google that, never read Harry Potter or seen a full film and can say I have no idea! At all!

Hi Joey....it's me again with another question. :)

First let me say, hat's off to you for being a youth worker - that says so much about your character. Props. It must be heart wrenching at times, but incredibly rewarding at other times....and that leads me to my next question: do you ever bring triathlon to the young kids you work with....share with them the special talents and knowledge you possess with the hope of giving them something they might never have had the opportunity to learn about and experience othewise with the possibility of inspiring something within them?

Difficult question Dory, and no real clear cut answer. In it's simplest form i have tried to get the kids into triathlon but when you ask them if they want to train for one of them or go kayaking or do DJ'ing it doesn't usually win. It does get their interest though when they hear I do them and when I bring my bikes into the office (sometimes I train after work and the TT bike doesn't get left it the car!) they are full of questions. The other part of that bit is that it's easier to sell the other stuff to funding agencies. They like the pictures from the other stuff and it gives the kids a chance to try something they haven't done before.

On a deeper side I think the stuff triathlon has thought me, around discipline and focus I bring to my work and I'd like to think I pass a bit of this on. I like my job because I can bring alot of myself to it. I can be myself in work. Kids appreciate this and see you for being who you are. If you didn't, and I've seen workers who have done it before, the kids will catch you out very quickly and can take a lot to get back from there. I suppose the parts of my personality that have helped me work well in triathlon where there before I started in it and I would like to think I share some of these with the young people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Hi Joey

If you have a perfect triathlon at the start of this season what times do you think you could realistically hit (assume its an accurate course)? (Swim/T1/Bike/T2/Run)

If you weren't a youth worker what would you be doing?

Do you think you get prejudged when people see you with all the tattoos?

I think underneath the calm, cool exterior you are intensely competitive. Who is on your radar to beat / who are your nemeses this season?

Are black bikes faster than white?

Cat's or dogs?

Next triathlon based upgrade? New bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Jesus 61kg's you are a wippet!!!! I'm your weight with 50% extra free :o:o

Where do you see yourself in tri in 5years time??
    Will you move onto another sport or stick with tri?
    How well do you think you can do in oly distance tri's this year with the level of training you are doing and what is your goal?? podium or top 10?

How long are you with the GF and does she read your blog??
    is she the one?? ;);):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Joey, only one question - where do I apply for a job like yours ? ;)

I think kids and adults benefit more than they realise at the time from structure, commitment to goals and struggling with something like a sport. All the great things come with a bit of a struggle.

Hey couerdelion,
    If you have a perfect triathlon at the start of this season what times do you think you could realistically hit (assume its an accurate course)? (Swim/T1/Bike/T2/Run)

Last year Joey Hannon was my perfect race and I reckon I could go faster this year. I would say (and a bit of this is hoping because I'm a few months off it) 22 min swim, 1.30 T1, 1.06 Cycle, 1.30 T2, 40 min run. Would have me in around 2.11. I would be delighted if I could get near that this season, the biggest jump there from last season would be my run.
    If you weren't a youth worker what would you be doing?

Probably a teacher. Worked in an office for a year and it nearly killed me, hated it.
    Do you think you get prejudged when people see you with all the tattoos?

By certain generation probably. My ma hates my tattoos, doesn't know what they are because she won't even look at them. I think the stereotype around them isn't as strong as it was, people like David Beckham and Cheryl Cole have helped them become more mainstream. If I was a big fella I'd say I'd experience it more, I think my size sort of stops it a bit.
    I think underneath the calm, cool exterior you are intensely competitive. Who is on your radar to beat / who are your nemeses this season?

I definitely am very competitive. But I'd say it's more with myself than other people. Can be hard enough on myself after some races and I tried to work on it last year. Who would I like to beat? Everyone in the club really, anyone who beat me last year. But I'm realistic too and know I'm a while off beating a lot of the top lads in here.
    Are black bikes faster than white?

From my very scientific research, I own a black and a white bike, I can conclusively say that yes they are. A lot faster.
    Cat's or dogs?

Definitely dogs, when I get my own house we will be getting two dogs. Herself wants a pug and I'd like a big dog, a dogue de bordeaux or something.
    Next triathlon based upgrade? New bike?

I wouldn't say no to a new bike but can't see me getting one for another while. I'm looking at possibly a stages power meter. I want to change the Argon TT to electronic gearing and would mean it would be easily swapped between bikes. A new wetsuit would be up there too, I'm not 100% comfortable or happy with the one I have and a new Zerod would be nice. A long way off buying either though.

hey Trig, hope the calf is on the mend,
    Where do you see yourself in tri in 5years time??

In 5 years I could be possibly starting my ironman racing. I'd like to think that if I can avoid injury, and I have up to now, that I would still be competing in triathlon.
    Will you move onto another sport or stick with tri?

I really hope to stick with tri. The only reason I would drop any of the sports would be due to injury. I enjoy training for all three and it stops me getting bored. Nice to be able to do different training most days.
    How well do you think you can do in oly distance tri's this year with the level of training you are doing and what is your goal?? podium or top 10?

Both of them are probably a while off yet, in national series races anyway. The standard is very good and there is improvement every year. I would have a successful season if I got a top 20 in a NS race. In a smaller race I could go top ten or push for podium. But that's more down to who else shoes up than me doing well.
    How long are you with the GF and does she read your blog??
    is she the one??

We are together over 8 years. Engaged for 3. She reads it every now and again, usually if I leave the computer open, I come back and she will be reading it.

She def is, I'm not going to be as soppy as AKW or Shotgun here, but she is. She puts up with me talking about my training, talking about racing and all my training. We get on really well, she can have a laugh at herself. She is probably the smartest person I know too, has a phd and has been awarded 2 of the best fellowships in the country. Complete package really. (I'll probably leave this page open now on purpose now to make sure she does read it!).

You are 100% right interested. I was very lucky with my job, most of the sector are on reduced hour weeks, projects have gotten a lot smaller. When I left college I was offered two jobs, I picked one for no other reason than it seemed like a nicer area. Turned out the one I picked means I'm now a public servant, there is only 14 public servant youth workers in the whole country so gives a bit of stability to the job.

Young people do crave structure, without a doubt. They want boundaries and rules and will push to see what these are. We run 2 different types of group, 1 is a small group for young people, depending on their age and where they are in there life we do things like drug and alcohol awareness, art, healthy living programmes and sexual health programmes. The other type we do is called a drop in style, kids can just come and go as they want, the wii is set up and there is pool and table tennis and they can do what they want. On paper this should be the busier session but 99% of the time it's not. Whether they realise it or not they want to be challenged and they want that structure there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

"there is only 14 public servant youth workers in the whole country"

I think I need to take a moment after reading this .... :eek:

• Advertisement

Yep the rest of the youth workers in the country rely on yearly funding. There would be some who would work for larger organisations like Crosscare of Foroige but realistically if there is severe cuts to funding they will be gone. There are 14 of us who have public servant status, this only came about because we are paid through a public body. It took years for them to even get this recognition, for years they were paying into the pension but had none of the rights. Luckily for me it was sorted out (mostly) just before I was employed.

Advertisement