Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meet joey100, the man who for one month at least knocked Fazz off his perch

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

how a society invests in its youth and elderly speaks volumes .... but anyway .. lets just keep talking about the weather, aren't those bankers bad and anything else to keep on ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Favourite Movie?
    Favourite Movie Character?
    You say your girlfriend of 8 years (3 of them engaged) is the smartest woman you know - is she also the most laid back - have you set a date?
    Best concert you were ever at?
    Most memorable holiday?
    Have you a picture of Courdelion and yourself standing side by side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

61kg?? I've had bigger dinners
    What height are you?
    I dont know why I'm asking this but favourite food?
    Whats your biggest vice?

Do you think being smaller and therefore lighter is an advantage at this lark?

Who are you cycling with?

Would you take top 20 in a NS or winning a small race?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭joey100

Hey Catweazle,
    Favourite Movie?

Probably city of god, from the first time I've seen it I've really liked it. Very real and well put together. Have shown it to some of the kids in work, they are usually a bit shocked by it, doesn't glamourise violence, shows it how it really is.
    Favourite Movie Character?

Not sure really, my favourite characters from TV would probably be Michael Scott or Andy Bernard from the US Office. Usually what I watch when I want to switch off the brain. Thinking about it, probably Tyler Durden from Fight Club, just really cool.
    You say your girlfriend of 8 years (3 of them engaged) is the smartest woman you know - is she also the most laid back - have you set a date?

She can be laid back but is definitely more of a worrier than me. She is the smartest person I know, book smart definitely. But doesn't always have the best common sense, I convinced her once that if you put a raisin in the microwave it will turn back into a grape. In her mind it made perfect sense, things can expand in the microwave so why wouldn't it? Cue her putting it in and waiting to see. (she will kill me if she reads that!).

No date set yet, house is first priority. We are living with my parents at the moment to save money and don't want to be married and living in my parent's attic. Will only be a small thing anyway but hopefully in the next two years.

Best concert you were ever at?

Haven't really been to many concerts. Florence and the Machine was good in the Phoenix park or gomez at witness years back. In a past life I was in the Artane Boys band, we played on stage with Bon Jovi once and that was a pretty cool concert!
    Most memorable holiday?

Probably the trip around France kayaking. I went over with UCD Canoe Club, and there was around 50 of us in total. Memories include racing around a shopping centre on Micro scooters, being asked to leave a campsite in the alps by the mayor of the local town because we were making too much noise, our car breaking down on one of the highest passes in the alps and freewheeling from the top to the campsite. We ended up staying a week longer because of the car, no money and no accomodation. We made our last dinner in France in the town square in Rostock. Great holiday overall.
    Have you a picture of Courdelion and yourself standing side by side?

I think there is one of us floating around somewhere but because of the angle it is taken at I don't look too much smaller.

Hey G&R
    What height are you?

I am just under 5''8. Depends what shoes I'm wearing.;)

I dont know why I'm asking this but favourite food?

Can't beat a good pasta dish, probably a carbonara with nice fresh tagliatelle.
    Whats your biggest vice?

Ice cream and jellies. I could live off these, when we were living in our apartment we didn't really buy it because it would never last. I'd sit down an eat a tub in a sitting. My parents fridge is always stocked and it's very hard not to just have a bit every now and again.
    Do you think being smaller and therefore lighter is an advantage at this lark?

For the bike and the run definitely. I've seen lads who would leave me for dead on the flat but once we get to any incline I call pull away. Fortunately for me there isn't many downhill or completely flat tri courses. Helps with aerodynamics too, small frontal area for wind to hit. Helps with running too, less stress on the body so less chance of injuries, I think anyway. I put my lack of injuries down to it really. Not sure about the swim, suppose I don't have the reach of other people but I have less resistance moving through the water. None of that is based on science, just my opinions!
    Who are you cycling with?

Normally do my long cycles with Dublin wheelers. The rest is done with Netflix on the turbo. I've been invited out a few times by a friend who goes out with a group of racers, mostly A3/A2's but haven't been able to make it out with them yet. A few friends have signed up to do the ring of kerry too so will try get out with them too, these will more than likely be recovery cycles.

Would you take top 20 in a NS or winning a small race?

I came second in a small race towards the end of last year. It felt great, I knew the field wasn't that competitive but was nice to have people come up and say well done. I think though I would prefer top 20 in NS, you would be racing against some of the top lads in the country and would be good to get that close to them. I think I would need a better race to go top 20 in NS than win a small race. But wouldn't say no to either of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Hi again,

If not a fan of Joe 90, where did your username come from?

Re tattoos;

Have you any you regret?
    Ever had a cover-up done?
    Is there a particular tattoo artist you keep going back to?

Hey Zico,
    If not a fan of Joe 90, where did your username come from?

When I was younger my uncle set me up with an email address with the name joey100, just kept using that as my name.
    Have you any you regret?

I don't regret getting any of them but the ones on my back I kind regret but not the tattoos, just that these were the first I got when I didn't really know what you could do with them. Would love a full back piece and have an artist offer to do one for cost if he could do it at a convention and then enter it. Only problem is what's on my back already, would have to get some laser to lighten it so he could cover it.
    Ever had a cover-up done?

No proper cover up but the writing on my left arm is covered by the japanese sleeve but you can still read it. With the size of most of mine cover ups aren't really an option.
    Is there a particular tattoo artist you keep going back to?

The majority of my work is done by Darren Brauders and Rob Mulligan in Colourworks tattoo studio. Sound lads and very very good. My next piece I would like would be my left leg from my knee down to my toes, there is an artist called Dave Barry down in Cork who does amazing dot/geometric designs mixed with polynesian stuff that I would like to get done. Problem is the amount of time out of the water after I get it done. maybe if I ever have the money and a bit of a break at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Very interesting read so far Joey.

Has El D a target on his back?
    Favourite meal?
    5 people you'd like to have around for dinner and why?
    What's a typical training week for you?
    If you had to pick 2 boardsies for a relay, who would you pick and what disciplines would ye each do?
    8 years eh? Plenty of time yet. Some of us went 12.....
    What you at for Valentines :)

Have a good weekend

Hey Pgibbo, sorry been a busy weekend!
    Has El D a target on his back?

A bit. I'd like to come close to him but it might be a season or two too early to beat him. From looking at the SBR table he's logging consistent miles and with that new bike will always be hard to beat.
    Favourite meal?

Probably carbonara with some fresh pasta, or any type of pasta really.
    5 people you'd like to have around for dinner and why?

Tough question. First would probably be Eric Jackson, one of the best kayakers ever, has changed the way it is done and what people think can be done. Set up a small independent company that is beating many of the bigger companies in sales now.

Probably Marc Degryse, my favourite Sheffield Wednesday player ever, my first ever jersey had his name on the back.

Cristiano Ronaldo, as much as I don't really like him you have to damire the work and effort he puts in. Have read a bit about him and everyone who has ever trained with him talks about how hard he trains and works. First to training ground and last to leave. Practices his step overs with weights around his ankles so that he's even quicker with them off. Got to admire that work ethic.

Usain Bolt seems like good craic and a bit of a laugh. Again one of the best in his sport ever.

Seems to be very sports based so maybe throw in a comedian, Micky Flannery, like his stuff.
    What's a typical training week for you?

Usually 2 X 1.5-2 hour turbo sessions where at least 1 hour of them focused on a particular aim, working on VO2 max or tempo. Last half an hour is usually focused on endurance.

3 X swim sessions, one with interested, one more focused on drills and one longer tough session.

3 X run sessions, 1 long run, and 2 X interval type runs, usually around 13 km distance.

1 X long bike at the weekend, try to get in and around 100km done. Hasn't happened the last few weeks with the weather though.

Usually get at least 1 extra session a week in and hoping to add another session in too.
    If you had to pick 2 boardsies for a relay, who would you pick and what disciplines would ye each do?

I'd be the weak link on the team here, probably do the bike myself, it's my least bad sport. Interested for the swim and probably zico for the run, the miles he is logging is something else.
    8 years eh? Plenty of time yet. Some of us went 12.....
    What you at for Valentines

No plans, had a very romantic Eddie Rockets the night before and heading away next weekend instead. Feb is usually not a great month for training, few birthdays and valentines makes it hard to get any type of consistency but miles are still not bad.

Thanks pgibbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Just a quick one from me.

You say you're living with your parents. How is that going and how is your other half dealing with it? I've been in that position myself years and years ago and I know it's not easy living with a partners parents. And how does she feel when you spend most of your free time out training?!

• Advertisement

Hey BTH
    You say you're living with your parents. How is that going and how is your other half dealing with it? I've been in that position myself years and years ago and I know it's not easy living with a partners parents. And how does she feel when you spend most of your free time out training?!

Living with the parents is tough. I have a little brother still living at home so there is always someone around. Hard to get any time to ourselves. Simple things like when we come home from shopping and my ma comes in and starts asking about our day and where we are. It's all well meaning but hard when you never get a minute to ourselves. Nearly have the deposit so by end of summer at the latest we will move out. If we don't get a bank to give us a mortgage we will just go back to renting and keep the deposit.

I'm lucky enough with the job I work in and the fact she is doing a bit of training too. Monday's I train before work, (before 1 o'clock) so she is already in work. Tuesday morning I train after she leaves for work and in the evening we train together. She does TRX on Wed so I train then, Thursday I train again before work 1.00. Friday I swim and she tries to meet up with friends. The long spin on Sat morning is probably the toughest, I feel bad leaving her sitting in my house with my parents but she has been doing TRX so not too bad. Sunday we usually run together and swim together in the evening so not too bad overall. She does give me a lot of time to do it and has even started aiming for some sprints herself so we do get time together training and hopefully racing this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Nice one Joey. It was a good read and all going well your setting yourself up for a great season. I have no chance of catching you now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

If Courdelion ever gets the Saturday morning cycles going it would be perfect for her to join up Joey, and pass some of that time while you're out racking the miles. Great read over the last week btw - really enjoyed it.

Advertisement