Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Roadtrip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Nelly 21 wrote: »
    MadsL wrote: »

Its not set in stone yet but the way plan is to join route 66 in OK and work from there as best as we can. Thank you for your kind offer!?!!! ;)

Not a worry. There is some good stuff to see on 66 through OK, TX, NM and AZ.
    Shamrock TX of course being worth a visit :D

I live about a mile or so from the pre 1932 alignment of Rt 66, in fact I'm looking at it as I type. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Not a worry. There is some good stuff to see on 66 through OK, TX, NM and AZ.
    Shamrock TX of course being worth a visit :D

I live about a mile or so from the pre 1932 alignment of Rt 66, in fact I'm looking at it as I type. :D

You know, one day you are going to look out the window and see 300 boards members approaching your house for free beer, thanks to all the info you have provided here.

You know, one day you are going to look out the window and see 300 boards members approaching your house for free beer, thanks to all the info you have provided here.

I have offered to host a boards beers...no-one showed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 me.me

hello!

i set up this boards account to start a thread. Basically I'd like to organise a USA road trip. I really want to do this with a small group but unfortunately all my friends are tied down in different ways. Although this sounds a bit cazy I was thinking that maybe I could look for people in Ireland who might be interested in planning this with me. So i thought i may as well leave my idea here too in case there are people out there reading this thread wishing they could do the same thing but have no one to do it with.

I haven't decided on a route yet, its something you'd have to decide with a group. The Canadian to Mexican border looks good. Then there's the Great River road along the Mississippi river from MN to New Orleans and on the other hand the landscape across Oregon, Idaho, and Wyoming and the diversity of the route from Oregon to New Hampshire sounds unreal...there are so many options!

A few years ago i drove from south to north Iceland with my friends - listening to Icelandic radio and stopping in little towns and shops in the middle of no where, it was class. I really want to do something like that again.

I'd like to go with people of a similar age. I'm 31 (I'm a girl but gender isn't relevant for me personally!)
    I'm really easy going, i'm not interested in tourist traps but will happily go along with someone to see something they have always wanted to see even though i have no interest in it. Anyway if there is anyone out there who wants to do this let me know. We'd need some drivers but if you are not a driver and you really wanna go it might be possible if we can get at least 2 drivers including myself. Grand with in car smoking or non smoking people too!

To all the other people on this thread who are heading off on their road trips, i hope you have a fantastic time!

me.me wrote: »
    hello!

i set up this boards account to start a thread. Basically I'd like to organise a USA road trip. I really want to do this with a small group but unfortunately all my friends are tied down in different ways. Although this sounds a bit cazy I was thinking that maybe I could look for people in Ireland who might be interested in planning this with me. So i thought i may as well leave my idea here too in case there are people out there reading this thread wishing they could do the same thing but have no one to do it with.

I haven't decided on a route yet, its something you'd have to decide with a group. The Canadian to Mexican border looks good. Then there's the Great River road along the Mississippi river from MN to New Orleans and on the other hand the landscape across Oregon, Idaho, and Wyoming and the diversity of the route from Oregon to New Hampshire sounds unreal...there are so many options!

A few years ago i drove from south to north Iceland with my friends - listening to Icelandic radio and stopping in little towns and shops in the middle of no where, it was class. I really want to do something like that again.

I'd like to go with people of a similar age. I'm 31 (I'm a girl but gender isn't relevant for me personally!)
    I'm really easy going, i'm not interested in tourist traps but will happily go along with someone to see something they have always wanted to see even though i have no interest in it. Anyway if there is anyone out there who wants to do this let me know. We'd need some drivers but if you are not a driver and you really wanna go it might be possible if we can get at least 2 drivers including myself. Grand with in car smoking or non smoking people too!

To all the other people on this thread who are heading off on their road trips, i hope you have a fantastic time!

Hi me.me, welcome to boards. I think your idea is a fantastic one.

You haven't started a thread though I am afraid, but what we called 'hijacking' another user's thread with a post, not an actual thread.

Not to worry. Could I suggest that you use the New Thread button to create your own thread and I for one will give you as much support as I can.

As to routes I'm a big fan of the Mother Road, route 66. I haven't done all of it, but I've done sections through from Oklahoma through to LA, some several times. It is an amazing thing. In places abandoned and desolate, in others brought back to life. I love a road trip.

EDIT Yay! Post 66 about Route 66

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 me.me

Hi me.me, welcome to boards. I think your idea is a fantastic one.

You haven't started a thread though I am afraid, but what we called 'hijacking' another user's thread with a post, not an actual thread.

Not to worry. Could I suggest that you use the New Thread button to create your own thread and I for one will give you as much support as I can.

As to routes I'm a big fan of the Mother Road, route 66. I haven't done all of it, but I've done sections through from Oklahoma through to LA, some several times. It is an amazing thing. In places abandoned and desolate, in others brought back to life. I love a road trip.

oops!
    yeah i created a new thread "Road Trip USA Anyone?" after i posted on this one.

thanks for the tip

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭nazzy

Hi all

Sorry to be hi-jacking the thread but I didn't want to start a new thread unnecessarily. But I can do that if needed!!!

I'm getting married in Jan 16 and want to do a us road trip. The recent weather there has me freaked out somewhat though but I am hoping it was a freakish once-off thing!

Just wondering if anyone would have any advice on whether we're silly for doing this or where we should stick to?

I was planning on Orlando to Houston but the route doesn't seem overly exciting but hoping I'm wrong!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I know we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves as it's not for AGES but I don't want to look forward to a honeymoon and find out down the line that it isn't a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

nazzy wrote: »
    The recent weather there has me freaked out somewhat though but I am hoping it was a freakish once-off thing!

Well they say weather extremes are going to be more common now so who knows.

But January in the states is never the best time for weather outside of Florida really.

The South will be nice. Cool Irish summer kind of nice.

Hi all

Sorry to be hi-jacking the thread but I didn't want to start a new thread unnecessarily. But I can do that if needed!!!

I'm getting married in Jan 16 and want to do a us road trip. The recent weather there has me freaked out somewhat though but I am hoping it was a freakish once-off thing!

Just wondering if anyone would have any advice on whether we're silly for doing this or where we should stick to?

I was planning on Orlando to Houston but the route doesn't seem overly exciting but hoping I'm wrong!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I know we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves as it's not for AGES but I don't want to look forward to a honeymoon and find out down the line that it isn't a good idea!

Errm - don't miss Austin would be my advice. But the Everglades are so, so wonderful and Jan is a good low mosquito time to see them.

You want romantic, right? Then how about a taste of the South, and historic hotels. You can pretend to be in Gone with the Wind much of the trip.

Firstly screw Orlando, you are grown ups now, so unless she's always wanted to meet Mickey, treat her like one.

Fly to Miami and stay in a classic historic South Beach hotel. Refined elegance and history. There are lots to choose from but here is an example.
    Now perhaps down to the Everglades, and kayak with alligators and crocodiles.
    Tours in the Glades is my recommendation.
    Handy spot to stay close by is in Homestead, and the Redland hotel It drops the elegance factor (and the cost) but still has an old-time American feel.
    Now - go see the Florida Keys, forget driving, you should be sipping cocktails and sneaking below decks for sexytime...so rent a boat :) There are any number of options, but a skippered boat will let you avoid the hell of the traffic in the Keys and let you two get some less stressful time than driving. Here's a starting point.
    http://www.sailboat-charters.com/honeymooners_dream_trip.htm

Now back on land..time to Salsa it up and party...how about Ybor City? Former 'cuban' cigar town and now a bit of a nightlife destination. Classic historic main street and great food. The Don Vicente hotel should fit the bill nicely. Or if you want some real privacy after the boat, how about these Bonita Casitas (Pretty Little Houses) as a one or two night rental.

Now, lets get out of Florida...go see Mickey if you really wish, I would do Universal personally, but since you are this side of FL. The best theme park in FL is Busch Gardens in Tampa. It has it all...

However before leaving FL, hit St Augustine, it vies with Sante Fe for the title of the US's oldest city, Sante Fe being abandoned after the Pueblo Revolt for a good few years. This 1885 Historic hotel should work its charm and give you Spanish accents...you will feel like you are in Mexican soap opera.

Onwards, North...to the South!! :D

Savannah. Most Southern women I know cannot pronounce it with sighing. Savannaaaaaaaah.

As cotton is so central to the story of the South, why not stay in an old cotton factory in the heart of the historic district.
    http://www.historichotels.org/hotels-resorts/river-street-inn/ Why I do declare!!

Onwards to Charleston...

Now there are no shortage of places with the Scarlet O'Hara factor in South Carolina, but why not just go for it and stay in a cotton baron's mansion. Frankly my dear...that is incredible...

A spin back to Miami ends your trip, either in one days long driving - down that spectacular coastline I might add, and a night at somewhere nice in Miami...try downtown and Cuban food, and dancing. The Intercontinental is nice and has a fab restaurant.

So much more romantic and something to remember rather than Orlando and sharing hotels with overly spoilt children don't you think?

So much more romantic and something to remember rather than Orlando and sharing hotels with overly spoilt children don't you think?

SOLD! Thanks so much - what a reply! Everything in that sounds unreal! Can't wait to check out the links properly and get planning.

We're gonna try stretch it out to over three weeks - really wanna see Chicago and Washington so we were gonna fly up there after 10 days of heaven in the south!

Thanks again!!

• Advertisement

SOLD! Thanks so much - what a reply! Everything in that sounds unreal! Can't wait to check out the links properly and get planning.

We're gonna try stretch it out to over three weeks - really wanna see Chicago and Washington so we were gonna fly up there after 10 days of heaven in the south!

Thanks again!!

No worries.

Chicago will freeze your nuts off in Jan. Completely different wardrobe to the south...it is getting down to -14C tonight in Chicago.

Think of your poor bride, man. jesus the packing! Going from Beach to Arctic.

Some alternatives.

Week in Vegas/Grand Canyon/Northern Arizona.
    Week driving Route 1 LA to SF.
    Week in Bahamas/Cuba
    New Orleans/Memphis/Nashville...go on a music overload week.

Chicago is a great city but there is a reason you will meet a lot of people from Chicago in FL in January...Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Very good advice, MadsL. Although, no one says "I do declare". A bit like begorrah :)

nazzy, while you're following MadsL's roadtrip route, don't forget to check out the barrier islands. Jekyll Island, where the original billionaires liked to play has a rather lovely hotel you can stay in. Then Cumberland Island is a short ferry trip from St. Mary's. Rent bikes when you get to Cumberland and see if you can keep up with the wild horses.

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Very good advice, MadsL. Although, no one says "I do declare". A bit like begorrah :)

They do when they are play-acting the antebellum South. My wife spent 22 years in the South and she can be quite the Missy when she wants to be...:D
    nazzy, while you're following MadsL's roadtrip route, don't forget to check out the barrier islands. Jekyll Island, where the original billionaires liked to play has a rather lovely hotel you can stay in. Then Cumberland Island is a short ferry trip from St. Mary's. Rent bikes when you get to Cumberland and see if you can keep up with the wild horses.

Yes, meant to be amazing place.

You guys are great, thanks a million for all that advice!

I'm actually the bride with a hatred for the sun, hence the bizarre decision to hit Chicago! It really is very much in the pre-planning stage which is why all your advice is superb!

I wanted to do a driving trip with maybe taking in an NBA game or something but not sure we're timing it right.

We've done the west coast a couple of times so veered towards the east for a change. Now that has extended thanks to you guys ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I would also avoid flying anywhere near the northeast at that time of year, even on your way there try to avoid any of the major northern hubs. Atlanta would (usually) be fine. I usually always try to avoid them but got stuck in Chicago for 2 days myself this January, it was about 40 below at the time too and we didn't have the gear to go out in it so we just sat in a hotel room looking out the window. Not to mention it cost $250 plus an extra vacation day from work.

spideog7 wrote: »
    I would also avoid flying anywhere near the northeast at that time of year, even on your way there try to avoid any of the major northern hubs. Atlanta would (usually) be fine. I usually always try to avoid them but got stuck in Chicago for 2 days myself this January, it was about 40 below at the time too and we didn't have the gear to go out in it so we just sat in a hotel room looking out the window. Not to mention it cost $250 plus an extra vacation day from work.

Ouch, thanks for that. Delays a very real possibility by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

So you've 3 days left for your holiday!! Hope you have a great time and be sure to let us know how you go!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inspector Dhar

Bring us back a stick of rock.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

So you've 3 days left for your holiday!! Hope you have a great time and be sure to let us know how you go!!!!

Thanks Nelly. Will give a full report when I get back. A bit apprehensive at the length of the journey but being so busy in work has taken one eye off it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SoFarSoGood

No need to be apprehensive Whiplash, ye have plenty of time to play around with. An obvious thing to say but some places will appeal more than others. The places that don't appeal, hop back into the car and find a place that does. Then chill out, let the hair down and soak it all up. It'll be fantastic. Enjoy!

• Advertisement

Trip report? ;)

Trip report? ;)

Yeah I'd like to hear about it too!!!!!!!

Trip report? ;)

Ok a full summary or a half winded one?? It's impossible not to run away with myself. Amazing, life changing, surreal. Lots of emotions come to the surface when looking back. I'm home a short week so here it goes.

Flew into Atlanta on the 15th March, Stayed downtown, place was kind of dead so stayed in our comfort zone and went to Irish bar called Meehans. Queue lots of Kentucky fans in town for Gators SEC championship game. There was some 20,000 Kentucky people in town so had a laugh with them. We would be Kentucky wildcats fans for the rest of the trip and March Madness.

Following day (16th March) did world of Coca Cola, Olympic park, CNN center and Georgia dome where our beloved Kentucky were playing. Great experience. Following day hired car from national car rental and took to the road.

Paddys day or St Patty's day as many like to call it. Auburn Alabama. This could quite possibly have been one of the best days drinking I have ever put down. Auburn is a real college town and is probably best known for their College football team and some of the great Alumni like Bo Jackson and Cam Newton that have graced Jordanhare stadium. Quite surreal to see a 80,000 seater stadium in a town the size of Cashel. Went to Toomers drug store for soakage and then made plans to stay in the university inn which was only a hop, skip and a stumble away. It was bedlam. We were like celebrities in the place. Green beer, Bourbon. Bourbon with Jason Dufner, Irish rebel songs. Yes Irish rebel songs in Alabama. Educating locals about hurling, Irish anglo relations. The rest of the night was a blur.

Wearily left Auburn with heavy hearts the following day. Next stop gulf springs/ Pensacola beach. Spring break had just come and gone. Thankfully. A bit of respite. Took advantage of the long beach and went for a 5 miler. Beautiful beach and the gulf of Mexico is nice for a swim as well. It was decided collectively after been served up another plate full of deep fried food that would make the producers of man v's food blush to head to a wallmart and buy a cooler. We now had Kentucky ham, cheese, bread etc etc. We were sorted and very much resembling stereotypical supporters going to a GAA match.

It was onto Mobile Alabama from here. Quite a " I don't know what to think of it" kind of place. But worth a day anyway. We were quite sunburned from Pensacola and maybe had sunstroke but our judgements were severely impaired to check into the budget inn on Govt St. Its worth looking at this place on Tripadvisor for a sense of perspective. They rent rooms by the hour here. There was people hollering accross the courtyard to each other, the rooms were shockingly bad, we were informed by a gentlemanly redneck that we shouldn't have stayed here. After watching an episode of forensic files the previous night where there was a whole menu of ways to kill victims the unsecure nature of the doors to our rooms was becoming more and more glaring. We bailed out of there and checked into the Malaga Inn. If it was good enough for Ronald Reagan it was good enough for us. The kind lady at reception informed us we had just dodged a bullet. I wasn't taking that as a metaphor. USS Alabama is a must see if in the area. You could spend hours there but you get a sense of how much the militiary means to the people. And you also learn that the wars are not just about the freedom of America but Freedom of the world from Tyranny.

Biloxi Mississippi was a good precursor for Vegas because I lost €50 in about 5 minutes because the table was "hot" or so I was told. I was playing blackjack and not very good at it. Had a buffet and a general wander, played the slots and lost some more. This place is literally Vegas for the Rednecks. There were 5 Stretched Limos ferrying high rollers from the most obscure places. It was all a little bit absurd. Anyway it was a needless stop along the journey but staying in the beau rivage was sweet. Hit up the gym in the morning and we were inching further along the map to New Orleans Louisianna.

New Orleans, Whatever people tell you about this place its all true. Arrived here mid - afternoon on a Friday after discovering at the Louisianna welcome centre in Slidell that there was a Tennessee Williams Festival on. We finally got affordable accomodation for 3 nights in a Super 8 motel/hotel. It was grand. Again sun was splitting the rocks. There were street performers, voodoo, palm readings, Jazz, Rythm and Blues, Cajun, Creole, Beads, verandas, Fluer de lis. It was a total awakening of the senses. And then these was Bourbon St. Where seediness, senselessness, debauchery and shamelessness all run amok on this artery of the French Quarter. After a quiet first night, in which we get some food and go for a casual wander, we all take stock and are mindful of the fact that we might be ever so slightly out of our depth here. we return to the Motel for an early night.

Following day we go to the Superdome which is home of the NFL Saints Franchise. I must go see a game here someday I think to myself. We get Po Boys in Serio's and go to Lake Pontchatraine which being so beautiful also features as Brian Cowens party piece on occasion. We drive through areas which were ravaged by Hurricane Katrina and are staggered to learn some of the statistics from the legacy of the unfortunate event. Out of the places I have been, it feels the least nationalistic and I feel as though the locals are divorced from the union through neglect. Filled with trepidation for what lies ahead we go back to motel, put on gladrags and head to rum house on magazine street on Irish channel for what else..... Rum. And Tacos. It truly was an incredible night tainted a little by the mugging of a friend but truly an unforgettable experience. You can meet anyone here, shoot the breeze with randomers, meet new best friends, throw beads at people or have them thrown at you, drink "big ass beers" or "green grenades". Anything goes in this place. If you are prudish, sensitive or feint at heart or take offence easily maybe avoid at all costs, but it is an eyeopener and pretty unforgettable.

Yeah I'd like to hear about it too!!!!!!!

Thats the first instalment. I will add to it when I find the time. I'll even throw up a few pics too if ye're good.:D theres plenty more to come anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Amazing. I'm really glad you had a good time.

Those southerns really love their college sports. In america its like college sports is the lower division, and the money that goes into it is almost crazy. I believe the top ten largest stadiums in the US are in colleges.

I'm glad you liked New Orleans. I think its my favourite US city. Las Vegas is tame compared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Brilliant review so far!

Loved reading your post and waiting for the next one!!!! Sounds like an amazing adventure?!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    And you also learn that the wars are not just about the freedom of America but Freedom of the world from Tyranny.

Uh oh... Somebody drank the Kool-Aid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Did you do a Plantation Tour?

• Advertisement

Moar!

Advertisement