Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Hard Case Wide Enough for Turrets etc

Options
  • 11-02-2014 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

I have a Dosko Sport case that is not thick enough to close on the ballistic turrets of my scope. I tried the Plano Airglide which I wasn't a fan of.

I'm looking for a good quality hard case. Foam lined and thick enough to swallow turrets, bipod n'all as I'm sick of stripping things off the rifle at the back of my truck as I risk dropping something. I'd appreciate info on what you are using, Also, where to get it would be good. I'd like to actually see them so would prefer to avoid amazon etc.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I use a Plano, Aluminium rifle case. It's large, deep enough for scoped rifle with high turrets, lockable clasps, and very sturdy. Think they are airline approved too.

opplanet-plano-moulding-plano-aluminum-gun-case-w-four-lockable-latches-76052.jpg

Jim Griifin has/had some of these, but lately i see they have a new model out.

Sean in Stakelums has one (i trip over it every time i'm down there). It's very close to the Peli case, but no where near the price. Same dimensions as the aluminium one, maybe even deeper, but the same lockabble clasps, airline approved, foam lined, etc.

28-5005.jpg
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Peli box is your only man..
    Expensive[very if bought here] But worth every last cent.Especially if by some chance it gets broken as happened to me last Nov.
    It has a lifetime global no questions replacment.
    Some things are just worth their price.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

Cass, is that pic of the plastic one you put up the one in Thurles?
    That looks exactle what I'm after. That M4 would be quite dinky... perhaps a little short for a bolt action & mod?

The one in Thurles is the same as the one in the picture. The only difference being the picture i used is a stock picture from the net. The one in Thurles has four clasps on the front as it's the larger model. Other than that it's identical.

I think Peli run around €380+ (not too sure on specifics so someone else might be better able to answer that). The one in Sean's, i think, is around €260 or so, but he'll do better than that if interested. To be sure maybe ring and find out.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Peli is way outta my price range though superb no doubt... I'll call him. Thanks... BTW, what kinda money do the aluminium ones you have sell for?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Cass wrote: »
    I think Peli run around €380+ (not too sure on specifics so someone else might be better able to answer that).

€295-€330 from Intershoot at the current rate of exchange and depending on which model you get. I don't know what the more nearby suppliers currently charge.

Robotack wrote: »
    Peli is way outta my price range though superb no doubt... I'll call him. Thanks... BTW, what kinda money do the aluminium ones you have sell for?
    Thanks for that. I'm only going on Sterling prices i found.
    IRLConor wrote: »
    €295-€330 from Intershoot at the current rate of exchange and depending on which model you get. I don't know what the more nearby suppliers currently charge.
    The aluminium one i bought was €200. However as the new models come out the older ones disappear. So if anyone has one it may be all that is left, and not something that can be brought it.

Other cases for sub €150, imo, are not great. They flex, are not hardened material, and are really only good for keeping the gun from getting scratched as opposed to actually protecting it.

Another option, if you only want the gun protected from scratching, etc would be something like a drag bag. Like this one.

8119421.jpg

However at around the €150 mark it's comparable to the cheaper hard cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

Cass wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I'm only going on Sterling prices i found.

The aluminium one i bought was €200. However as the new models come out the older ones disappear. So if anyone has one it may be all that is left, and not something that can be brought it.

Other cases for sub €150, imo, are not great. They flex, are not hardened material, and are really only good for keeping the gun from getting scratched as opposed to actually protecting it.

Another option, if you only want the gun protected from scratching, etc would be something like a drag bag. Like this one.

8119421.jpg

However at around the €150 mark it's comparable to the cheaper hard cases.

I have the AIM 50 drag bag and cannot rate it highly enough. Great protection and very versatile.

Also had a Starlight hard case which is compatible with Peli cases and worth looking at. Pretty pricey though.

I sold mine on and the Drag bag is what I use all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Have a Peli 1750 which I got from Peli Ireland. Fantastic case.

I also have an AIM bag and while it is a fantastic bit of kit they cannot be compared in terms of protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I've used Peli 17xx series cases for years - damn things are nearly indestructible (nearly - Grizz had one of his broken once but I think they had to ram it with a forklift prong to do that). They're not cheap, but they're cheaper than a broken rifle.

That being said, there are also SBS and Storm cases, which are pretty much equivalent to Peli cases - slightly different designs, shapes, sizes and costs, but worth taking a look at in case they'd be better suited to what you need.

I don't think I'd trust anything less than that if baggage handlers might ever be involved...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Storm and Peli are now pretty much one and the same.Peli bought them out for the EU market.
    You could of course buy on on Cabelas.com in the US for appx 260 USD and about 40 USD shipping to here and save a few quid even with duty paid...

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭badshot

Vegeta wrote: »
    Have a Peli 1750 which I got from Peli Ireland. Fantastic case.

I also have an AIM bag and while it is a fantastic bit of kit they cannot be compared in terms of protection.

just wondering are the AIM bags waterproof

They are marketed as water resistant/water repellent.

I've seen my fair share on the line and no one has every complained of water getting through to the gun so can only say that is does hold heavy rain. For how long, over what period of time/ownership, i don't know.

Water resistant would be fair to say but waterproof, unless a bag has taped and sealed stitching and weatherproof zips, its never going to be waterproof per say.

In case it needed to be said, the Pelis, Storms and SBS cases are all waterproof (the Pelis at least started off life as being waterproof camera cases) - chuck your 17xx series in the river and you'd probably see it float.

Despite innitial reservations, the drag bag idea is starting to appeal to me... I have no plans to take my guns on a flight and generally if I'm out lamping etc., I'd transfer my rifle from the hard case I took it out in, into something soft on the back seat of the jeep for quicker access. So, the drag bag might just do both, whilst needless to say I know it's not going to take a drop like a hard case will.

If ya want a dual purpose item then the drag bag/shooting mat might be worht a look. Slightly cheaper than the drag bag, but acts as both a soft shell rifle case, and unfolds into a lying down mat.

AimMatBagComboFront_ml.jpg

Despite innitial reservations, the drag bag idea is starting to appeal to me... I have no plans to take my guns on a flight and generally if I'm out lamping etc., I'd transfer my rifle from the hard case I took it out in, into something soft on the back seat of the jeep for quicker access. So, the drag bag might just do both, whilst needless to say I know it's not going to take a drop like a hard case will.

Those drag bags have a ton of extra storage too. When you don't need top end protection they are brilliant.

As you say though they only offer basic level of drop/bump/impact protection. They are water resistant and keep the majority of rain water off the gun but notebooks and cardboard cartridge cases have gotten quite damp in the front pockets.

If you are getting one choose the length carefully, get the smallest one your kit will fit in.

That's the conclusion I came to after spending a small fortune on a hard case that I was never going to use for travel.

The AIM drag bags give a lot of protection. They are not a hard case but they are well set to protect a firearm.

You will probably use it a lot more too. If you have a long set up, go for the 50 minimum. They do give a little extra space but better buy something that covers you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Cass.

I seen one down in Stakelums and though it was absalutely dirt.

Haven said that it was nearly a year ago but it was very flimsy and week. But it wasn't a perfect rectangle like then one in your picture.

Did he get newer ones in, in that time frame.

• Advertisement

I've no idea what you seen lad. Doesn't ring a bell. The one i'm talking about is identical to the one in the picture above. It came to mind because i thought he was starting to bring in Peli cases.

Now i did not inspect it to any great extent, although i'm heading down on Saturday so will have a check on it, but it looked the business. I was skeptical about the quality as it's price is lower than Peli, but then i realised that a cheaper price is not necessarily an indicator of poorer quality. Look at Deben v Harris for Bipods. Same materials, design, weight, etc. Yet the Harris is €99 and the Deben €69.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Ye I'm due a trip down there myself shortly. Havin said that I'm looking for a new bipod so that's a good little bit of side line info aswell.
    Cheers.

Although I can't remember the price of the one I seen. It didn't seem it would take much hacking at all any now that I think about it. The one I seen wouldn offer much long lasting protection. I need to sort a case myself. Will most cases take bipods an mods. It's looking like peli or a very simular equivalent is the only way to go.

I've been looking around online at drag bags and they seem really overpriced. The AIM for example. I'm sure it's good quality, but UK£150... I don't see how there could be a bag on earth worth that. I reckon you're paying for a bit of the Gucci military / tactical styling.

Play nice lads.

Thanks to everyone for the detailed replies. I'll get a drag bag I think but I'll be over and back to the US & Canada this year so I'll wait and avail of the value over there.

Much obliged

So my previous warning was ignored, and now infractions have been issued.

Any more and it's a ban. I;m not in form for dealing with this childish crap, and grown men should know better than to act like this.

Clean it up or i'll remove your ability to post. Then no one has to suffer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭badshot

just ordered the aim 60 tactical dragbag today
    i'll let ye know what i think of it

badshot wrote: »
    just ordered the aim 60 tactical dragbag today
    i'll let ye know what i think of it

Having the AIM 50 for ages and getting rid of my hard case, I think you will be happy with it. Great protection and practicality for a shooter that is not needing air travel but wants good protection.

I use an AIM bag and have a new Peli case (so I can't be accused of bias) but I don't think I'd describe bags as offering good protection. Certainly for everyday use they are fine, in and out of vehicle, long walk into a shooting stand etc etc but that's the basic level required.

For any sort of worse case scenario stuff, a bad fall or a significant drop, well that could end very badly. They really do not have a lot of padding.

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote: »
    They really do not have a lot of padding.
    Can't stress that enough, but this might do the trick:

dsc00550a.jpg

That was the last time I kept a rifle in a drag bag without treating it like an egg. Granted, it was just the anschutz drag bag and the AIMs might have more padding, but that break cost more to fix than the Peli I bought right afterwards. Just saying...

Advertisement