Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screw "cap" for a rifle barrel?

Options
  • 11-02-2014 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Picked up my new rifle yesterday. Its threaded for a mod (predator wildcat 8) but due to a variety of reasons, I was unable to get the "S" on my license. Is it possible to get a screw-on end to tidy up the end of the barrel?
    I could get a guy to run one off on the lathe, but if he charges full rate for the time involved setting up the screw cutting etc, it could work out expensive. Any thoughts people?

PS, haven't found my set of screw pitch gauges, so not sure what thread is on in. Anyone know, offhand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Picked up my new rifle yesterday. Its threaded for a mod (predator wildcat 8) but due to a variety of reasons, I was unable to get the "S" on my license. Is it possible to get a screw-on end to tidy up the end of the barrel?
    I could get a guy to run one off on the lathe, but if he charges full rate for the time involved setting up the screw cutting etc, it could work out expensive. Any thoughts people?

PS, haven't found my set of screw pitch gauges, so not sure what thread is on in. Anyone know, offhand?

What make rife is it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

What make rife is it

Sorry, Tikka T3 lite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Sorry, Tikka T3 lite.

www.sportsmanguncentre.com

Try the above very good to deal with, I lost the cap off my steyr and made contact with them, within a week had one (origional steyr) in the post.
    e-mail them and explain your predicament tell them what you are looking for, now I cannot say you will get it free like I did;) but check them out

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I don't think the T3 Lite comes pre-threaded. Open to correction on that.

If so then it's an after market job so you'll need the exact measurement for it. Is the rifle new or just new to you (second hand). Either way ring the dealer you bought from ask him who done the threading job (if not factory) or ask him the size/threading of the Mod you were going to buy for the rifle.

If you get the measurements for it then post them here. I have a few spare caps. Booth custom ones, and factory ones. If i have one that suits i'll pass it onto you. NO use to me anyway.

As a last resort a cap made by any gunsmith should cost no more than €15-€20. that is all i ever paid for mine.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Thanks guys, have a set of pitch gauges somewhere here, and will measure tonight.

• Advertisement

While you're at it, get a set of calipers and measure the width of the barrel directly before the threading. As said above i have a couple, but some are from heavy barrel rifles, and only one from a medium/narrow barrel. So if the thread pitch matches i don't want to send you something that looks like a suppressor on the end of the rifle. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 emk2

Sorry, Tikka T3 lite.

My Tikka T3 lite came factory threaded with a cap... Fairly sure u can buy them from tikka...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Check the P8, my one has the tread type indicated on the packageing. Only problem is you want to make sure the barrel tread and mod tread are matched.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭hollow point

My t3 lite came factory threaded as well the thread was M14x1

Hi Cass, thread pitch is 1.25, M12. I am fairly sure about the M12 bit, as the biggest die I have is a M10, its too small, but when you put the calipers on the thread they are 12.4mm, so I am calling that M12. Barrel diameter immediately above the threads is 16.24 mm. Many thanks.

Here is a pic of the rifle. Its second hand, but very very good condition. 1150 euro with a Hawke Panorama 4-12 illuminated, and the Mod, a Predator 8. ( which I can't get yet!)

Going to start zeroing it in today, so we'll see how it go's . Its an 8" twist and I'm using Fiocchi 50 gramme ballistic tips.

• Advertisement

I'll check the caps i have but i'm not holding out hope. I've never had an M12 threaded rifle so the chances are slim i have one. I know i have M18, 5/8", and 1/2" UNF. I'll still check though.

On another point. The second picture shows he scope on the barrel. That is not ideal lad. Not only is the flip cap housing touching the barrel but the housing of the scope objective lens is too. This will effect the harmonics of the rifle, and possible interfere/damage the scope. The constant "vibration" of the barrel when fired will resonate in the scope, and while it cannot damage the housing of the scope it can cause a knock on effect on the reticle/crosshair.

I stress may, not will, but why take the chance. If you have yet to zero i would seriously look at a set of higher rings and raise the scope up off the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Any chance that's a 1/2 unf thread? 12.7 mm versus 12.4 I know but it's close enough for me to ask the question

Was thinking that too. Rarely, if ever, have i seen an M12 thread. Not impossible, but very small for most rifles.

Hi Vegeta, don't think it can be a 1/2 UNF, as it is definitely a 1.25 metric thread. Now, stupidly, I didn't try the imperial gauges but I wouldn't expect a mix .

p.e.s. wrote: »
    A pitch of 1.25 metric is very close to 20th imperial. You know what they say. Assumption is the mother of all f##k ups.

OK, time to eat humble pie.
    p.e.s. , Vegata, You are 100% correct.
    1/2 UNF 20

I never doubted you, really!

The Imperial gauge has gone walkabout from my kit, bit the 1/2 inch UNF 20 die spins on perfectly.

Cass, on the subject of the sights touching the barrel, I suspect the guy trading in the rifle probably kept a better set of sights off the rifle, and popped this set on when trading in the rifle. They were 20 inches off on the first shot. If you move the sights forward enough so the front of the sights just clear the swell of the barrel, the rear mounts are more half their length over the ejection port. That's not critical as the 223 round is ejected long before it reaches the rear of the port, but I will get a slightly higher set. On the positive side of things, the gun is a lot more accurate than I am. Have to get a lot fitter! At 100 yards, can get overlapping holes in the target.

OK, time to eat humble pie.
    p.e.s. , You are 100% correct.
    1/2 UNF 20

I never doubted you, really!

The Imperial gauge has gone walkabout from my kit, bit the 1/2 inch UNF 20 die spins on perfectly.

Ah hem hem, cough cough......

Vegeta wrote: »
    Ah hem hem, cough cough......

Just goes to prove the old axiom, measure twice, cut once!

Thank you very much people!

If you move the sights forward enough so the front of the sights just clear the swell of the barrel, the rear mounts are more half their length over the ejection port.
    It may or may effect the accuracy, but if it were me i'd be looking for a slighter higher set.

If you push the scope forward where the ocular lens is in relation to the ejection port is not as important as your sight picture. The scope, when being mounted, should always be set to your eye relief, and then you can decide if you need higher mounts/rings, etc.

An alternative would be a different set of mounts. Not rings, mounts. However this may not have the immediate effect as a higher set of rings, and will cost as much as a set of rings. But it's an option.

Gonna check for that cap and get back to you asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

I've a muzzle thread cap for your rifle. Mines Tikka Lite, they come factory threaded and yours is M14X1 not any other thread. No muzzle cap like the original, after market ones never look right

I have two 1/2" Unf caps. So if it is that size you can have your pick of either of these.

Make sure it is 1/2" unf. If it is M14, while similar the 1/2" will not fit it. The best way to find out (if you cannot gauge the size) is go to the dealer or a friend that has a cap of similar size and try it. The cap will be here for you if it's the one. If not then i don't have an M14 spare. Sorry.

• Advertisement

4200fps wrote: »
    I've a muzzle thread cap for your rifle. Mines Tikka Lite, they come factory threaded and yours is M14X1 not any other thread. No muzzle cap like the original, after market ones never look right

Going by the dimensions given, it's not an M14x1. Has the T3 Lite always been factory threaded since introduction or is it only on newer rifles?

I'd also have to disagree about aftermarket thread caps:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_wRVG6FK31Q5S4ZX2fDnZDXzZhnJzYUYuYNW_7WPYeE3yVPR4og

I have two flush fit, barrel matching, thread caps, but the thread size on them is way too big. The only ones i have in 1/2" unf are the above and if they are not wanted for aesthetic reasons then i completely understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Check the P8, my one has the tread type indicated on the packageing. Only problem is you want to make sure the barrel tread and mod tread are matched.

Just a few pictures that may help others in similar circumstances.
    This is a Wildcat Predator 8 UNF1/2. The thread is marked on the Secound section from the left, as seen in the Fig 2.

Fig 1
    IMAG0997_zpse19173fa.jpg

Fig 2
    IMAG0995_zps69dc48be.jpg

Tikka only use M14x1 M18x1 and 5/8x24 as far as I'm aware. I've yet to see a tikka lite come with any thread other than M14x1. Nice job on the aftermarket thread cap. Was it done in Ireland. I seen some rough work done on rifles in Ireland.

Cass wrote: »
    I have two flush fit, barrel matching, thread caps, but the thread size on them is way too big. The only ones i have in 1/2" unf are the above and if they are not wanted for aesthetic reasons then i completely understand.

The one on the right in your post above looks nearly identical to the ones which now come with the T3 Lites if memory serves me correctly Cass.

That and it comes with the best price of all.....FREE :D

Ok folk, this Die runs on smoothly. Made a video of the fit, bit Vimeo requires I wait 45 minutes before its viewable on the web.

4200fps wrote: »
    Tikka only use M14x1 M18x1 and 5/8x24 as far as I'm aware. I've yet to see a tikka lite come with any thread other than M14x1.

I had an old Tikka barrel which was 1/2 UNF. Was an old rifle which did not come factory threaded at the time. If the OPs rifle is second hand there is a possibility that his was not factory threaded either, cause it certainly doesn't measure M14x1 going by figures above.
    Nice job on the aftermarket thread cap. Was it done in Ireland. I seen some rough work done on rifles in Ireland.

Nah that's just a picture off google of a style I like

All the tikka lites I seen are factory threaded, that chap is coming out to see if cap fits his rifle next week..if it does which I'm certain it will happy days. Won't cost him a penny only a 20 min drive. Fierce hard to get an original cap for them

Hi Cass, I met up today with the OP who kindly offered to let me try a spare factory cap he has.
    It is much too big, so I will take you upon your kind offer of one of the UNC caps. The 16.7 x 12.7 would closely match my barrel.
    regards, Nekarsulm.

• Advertisement

Got your PM and i'll have it sent in the morning.

Advertisement