Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screw "cap" for a rifle barrel?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

4200fps wrote: »
    I've a muzzle thread cap for your rifle. Mines Tikka Lite, they come factory threaded and yours is M14X1 not any other thread. No muzzle cap like the original, after market ones never look right

[IMG][/img]DSC02211.jpg

Aftermarket ones custom made are far better..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

garv123 wrote: »
    [IMG][/img]DSC02211.jpg

Aftermarket ones custom made are far better..
    I do see nobody with these flush caps only badly knurled caps like what put on my previous rifle and it wasn't colored making it look way outa place. is that your rifle and if so how much did that job cost??? Thanks for going out of your way to send that :-)

There putting these big heavy UNF threads on light barrels. Why?? I can't see the point. Why not metric? Looks way better, easier to get mod. They do nearly end up cutting away the whole crown of the rifle leaving it with no crown. The crown is your rifle. My taste may be different than someone else's.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just a quick update. I forgot to post the cap on Friday so it's only gone this morning. Might be a day or so until you get it.

As for thread caps. Any rifle that did not come pre-threaded that i have gotten done has the flush fit cap. It's a personal preference. However other rifles, especially CZ 455, that come pre-threaded have the 1/2" unf when the barrel is big enough to accomodate a 5/8", M18, etc. I often wonder why they mate the threading so small then i realised what it may be.

The guns are produced "en masse". So it's easier to stick a 1/2" unf thread on it as their other rifles (452, etc) are already being threaded to that. So no changing the machining process. Also for the rimfire calibers most mods to suit it are 1/2" as standard such as Sak, Parker Hale, etc. Only the more expensive mods are readily available in different threads. I have contemplated getting the CZ cut, just the threaded section, and re-threaded to suit one of my other, larger, mods. Then i did not as the Sak sits nicely on it, but i can see where you are coming from about the tiny threading on a barrel that would easily accommodate a much larger thread size.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

4200fps wrote: »
    I do see nobody with these flush caps only badly knurled caps like what put on my previous rifle and it wasn't colored making it look way outa place. is that your rifle and if so how much did that job cost??? Thanks for going out of your way to send that :-)

It is, the cap is made from the off cut piece of the barrel. The barrel isnt polished as well as the cap so you can see the cap is that bit shinier.

The threading on it is 1/2" unf, assuming to suit most rimfire mods.

The cut, cap, re-crown and thread was €100.

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »
    It is, the cap is made from the off cut piece of the barrel. The barrel isnt polished as well as the cap so you can see the cap is that bit shinier.

The threading on it is 1/2" unf, assuming to suit most rimfire mods.

The cut, cap, re-crown and thread was €100.
    I payed 70 euro for my previous rifle to be threaded. He made a mess of it. Even the threads looked rough, cap was a disaster, I was embarresed to show anyone. Yours looks really professional 10 outa 10 i must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hi Cass,
    Many thanks, the cap arrived today. Fits perfectly, and I might give it a dusting of matt black aerosol. Again, greatly appreciate your kind gesture. Nek.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You're more than welcome.

A little touch of black paint would make her blend in nicely. Perhaps the black one would have been a better fit? Still at least you're sorted.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement