Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Fella near here had a saying, if you want to do someone long term harm, leave him a farm. Think that curse status could be upgraded if it was filled with jex bulls first :D

Neighbour was in yard here other day. Never been in yard before and he was watching a cow calving and she had a bull and he thought she was a right yoke. Looked at me when I said he was only a bobby

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

pulled a giant angus bull calf a short while ago ...its rare I get to the last few inches on the calving jack:eek:...he belongs in some weanling sale in perth not inside my dairy cow...I too belong in perth (the other one) and maybe I should have stayed in it when i was there...:D

If it was ai what's the sire?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

had a second calver with meningitis today,vet was out, shaking in her head has stopped now but i dont think she can see right, how long will this last or is it a wait and see job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Lads..
    Maybe I was dreaming but was someone looking for solar lighting for a tunnel or out farm shed...

Stumbled onto this on e-bay.. might be of some use if I could remember who was asking :rolleyes:

15W Off-Grid Solar Lighting System with 4 LED Lights, Solar Panel and Battery

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/15W-Off-Grid-Solar-Lighting-System-with-4-LED-Lights-Solar-Panel-and-Battery-/111244734318?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item19e6b3ef6e

SL-15W_650x650.jpg

bbam wrote: »
    Lads..
    Maybe I was dreaming but was someone looking for solar lighting for a tunnel or out farm shed...

Stumbled onto this on e-bay.. might be of some use if I could remember who was asking :rolleyes:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/15W-Off-Grid-Solar-Lighting-System-with-4-LED-Lights-Solar-Panel-and-Battery-/111244734318?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item19e6b3ef6e

SL-15W_650x650.jpg
    Think it was con

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

biddy2013 wrote: »
    had a second calver with meningitis today,vet was out, shaking in her head has stopped now but i dont think she can see right, how long will this last or is it a wait and see job

Had a 12 month old bull with that last year, had to inject him every day for ten days. It was a slow recovery, his sight came back ok. Engomycin 10 was the main thing that cured it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

tanko wrote: »
    Had a 12 month old bull with that last year, had to inject him every day for ten days. It was a slow recovery, his sight came back ok. Engomycin 10 was the main thing that cured it.
    this one is slobbering alot, was walking in circles. She is on nuflor, alamycin and voren

Yeah it's a horrible infection alright. If she's not able to drink water herself you might have to put it into her.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

Anyone use dovea s925 broomfield... Is he easy calving? Its him or PCH or mlj AA tomor morning for bb x Sim heifer

Anyone use dovea s925 broomfield... Is he easy calving? Its him or PCH or mlj AA tomor morning for bb x Sim heifer

Never used him , he's looks easy calving, he's €25 a straw so will cost you more than the other bulls. With BB blood in the heifer the Angus would be the safest bet.

• Advertisement

Mlj, zzl and cza is what they have in aa and AI man telling me he PCH would br as easy, I was looking for the very easy tui brother they have but he hasn't got him,she is a big scopy heifer and not at all extreme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Lads..

SL-15W_650x650.jpg

Cheers bbam, that was me alright :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

not cheap, but the first such kit I've seen for sale..
    4 15w doesn't seem much light... until your in complete darkness, then it would be blinding!!

4 15w doesn't seem much light... until your in complete darkness, then it would be blinding!!

I got a Nitecore HC50 headlamp since, will try that out first and see how I get on with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

when is the weather supposed to improve. what is the postman up in Donegal and ken ring saying is going to happen next month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

A rough rule of thumb is that 1W of LED is the equivalent light output of around 15W of incandescent.
    These bulbs are 3W LED, so they should give off light similar to a 45W or so conventional bulb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Anyone know how late u can get sheep scanned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Anyone know how late u can get sheep scanned?

They recommend 90 days

Farrell wrote: »
    They recommend 90 days

About 115 days now.
    Is it to long overtime now I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Bitch of a morning here. Calved a heifer around 2 snd she was slow to stand. Got her up but she went down faster. Got the loader and out to paddock. Couple of bottles of calcium and she was making shapes so went for a cuppa before milking. Still down when I was going for cows but said I'd wait for light didn't see anything wrong at that stage. Went to check her after milking and her entire vulva was gone, eaten away. Long story short vet just gone and knacker rang . Those humane killers have a bit of a bang when they go off.

• Advertisement

About 115 days now.
    Is it to long overtime now I wonder?

Too late for telling you what no. of lambs is inside them I think, but they will be able tell you if in lamb or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

Bitch of a morning here. Calved a heifer around 2 snd she was slow to stand. Got her up but she went down faster. Got the loader and out to paddock. Couple of bottles of calcium and she was making shapes so went for a cuppa before milking. Still down when I was going for cows but said I'd wait for light didn't see anything wrong at that stage. Went to check her after milking and her entire vulva was gone, eaten away. Long story short vet just gone and knacker rang . Those humane killers have a bit of a bang when they go off.

Fox?
    I've said it before and I'll say it again animal rights groups that are anti hunting/shooting need to see this

Must have been an old fix I'd say?
    Were you up since 2?
    Say your near wrecked by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

epfff wrote: »
    Fox?
    I've said it before and I'll say it again animal rights groups that are anti hunting/shooting need to see this
    we are overrun with them around these parts. was gonna declare war on them around now but my attendation is elsewhere..... maybe in a few more weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Only caught the last 10mins of the Scotland Italy match, was fairly edge of the seat stuff, lets hope the Ireland match will be as good. Cows can wait 1/2hr this evening!

tanko wrote: »
    Never used him , he's looks easy calving, he's €25 a straw so will cost you more than the other bulls. With BB blood in the heifer the Angus would be the safest bet.

She got PCH this morning,was mad on and she gets mad lively when she comes in,had been jumping all night so took him a long while to get her straight for the straw,will know in 3 wks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Must say, I'm enjoying the wimmens rugby...anyone else watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭knockmulliner

K
    Tough one all right. Had to put down a heifer this week 7 days after calving, metal in the belly put in magnets course of betamox kept fading away, vet said it was nerve damage in the stomach, never saw it before. In fact i never saw so much wire/metal in the gut, is it common

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

K
    Tough one all right. Had to put down a heifer this week 7 days after calving, metal in the belly put in magnets course of betamox kept fading away, vet said it was nerve damage in the stomach, never saw it before. In fact i never saw so much wire/metal in the gut, is it common
    Don't know how common it is but wire usually comes in in silage, then if feeding through a diet feeder they gulp it down. I know metal detectors are on silage harvesters but our lad has been known to turn it off or forgets to turn it on. Any chance you could post a pic of the magnet?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Magnets are something I'm interested in too, never been an issue but just to be safe and can be done when dosing or bolusing. They're €2 each on the website below so not dear.

http://www.stockhealth.ie/mineral-vitamins/bolus/bovimax-cow-magnet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 small farms association

weathers shocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

blue5000 wrote: »
    Don't know how common it is but wire usually comes in in silage, then if feeding through a diet feeder they gulp it down. I know metal detectors are on silage harvesters but our lad has been known to turn it off or forgets to turn it on. Any chance you could post a pic of the magnet?

Bolus everything over 6 months old with 2 magnets. 47 cent each.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭knockmulliner

sheebadog wrote: »
    Bolus everything over 6 months old with 2 magnets. 47 cent each.
    2 euro here, are they the same as the one in the link above. Why two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Typo. 1 magnet per head. The magnets I use are rectangular.
    Bought cows lately and tested them with a compass. Anything that didn't have a magnet immediately got one.

Fecking stormy night and morning guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Plenty of wind but not much rain here cows out.

He says as it starts to fn hammer down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Was away since last Saturday. Place is saturated. No need to order fertilizer for another while :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

biddy2013 wrote: »

Wondering how is your cow getting on now

Yeah fair wind blowing here around midnight

Ah the night feeds........my new nemesis :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I know how you feel. I was up half the night giving myself bottles

Muckit wrote: »
    I know how you feel. I was up half the night giving myself bottles

Bite me :D

Reggie. wrote: »
    Bite me :D

We'll leave that to Mrs reggie

Two words for you. Breast Feeding! !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Hope you invested in the Avent bottle warmer. Only prickin around with kettles. Best thing I bought since the head scoop!

munkus wrote: »
    Hope you invested in the Avent bottle warmer. Only prickin around with kettles. Best thing I bought since the head scoop!

Oh yeah we did, pure lifesaver that thing

Two words for you. Brest Feeding! !!!!!

Only works for some my friend

We'll leave that to Mrs reggie

Greengrass just think of night feeds the next time your out "wandering" the town :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

munkus wrote: »

I'm picturing a head scoop on the cot ! In fairness it would save a bit of back ache leaning in to pick them up

moy83 wrote: »
    I'm picturing a head scoop on the cot ! In fairness it would save a bit of back ache leaning in to pick them up

Back is at me ever since the child arrived, bloody amazing how it happens

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement