Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

[Mod]

Suckler, do NOT post any further comments in this vein on this thread. Show some respect.

[/MOD]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,867 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Base price wrote: »
    It probably would be a better idea to give her boluses and then I know she is covered. She does not seem to like the taste of the cal mag powder in the nuts and it is supposed to be sweetened :(
    I might add a little treacle or honey to it this evening :)
    are you feeding her dairy nuts? there should be calmag in them anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

I don't think suckler was even referring to the tragic incident. Some of the health and safety laws are a bit excessive but not to be laughed at I think. I don't actually see what he did to deserve a warning :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    are you feeding her dairy nuts? there should be calmag in them anyway?
    I was buying her bags of dairy nuts but the sales rep was here last week and he said it would be ok to feed her the beef nuts if we added calmag.
    Unfortunately we had to bring her to the vet last night as she developed ecoli mastitis in her front right quarter. Vet gave her 3 injections into the vein and I rugged her up last night when we got home and gave her electrolytes in warm water.
    We drew the quarter again this morning and after liquid stuff the milk came. We got a strong calf to suck off the other 3 quarters this morning as she was much improved.
    Got more injections from the vet this morning to give to her.
    Do you think the quarter is gone or is there a chance it will come right?

I was buying her bags of dairy nuts but the sales rep was here last week and he said it would be ok to feed her the beef nuts if we added calmag.
    Unfortunately we had to bring her to the vet last night as she developed ecoli mastitis in her front right quarter. Vet gave her 3 injections into the vein and I rugged her up last night when we got home and gave her electrolytes in warm water.
    We drew the quarter again this morning and after liquid stuff the milk came. We got a strong calf to suck off the other 3 quarters this morning as she was much improved.
    Got more injections from the vet this morning to give to her.
    Do you think the quarter is gone or is there a chance it will come right?
    keep strigging her out, do you remember all creatures great and small where the farmer stayed up all night strigging out the cow and she was fine. You need to get the posion out of her system,

• Advertisement

keep strigging her out, do you remember all creatures great and small where the farmer stayed up all night strigging out the cow and she was fine. You need to get the posion out of her system,
    Now that you mention it I do remember that episode. Although the one that always sticks in my memory is when James goes to visit the farmer and gets a lovely fatty bacon dinner :eek:
    I bathed the quarter with warm water this morning. I will do it now and strig her out again.
    When I get my phone fixed I will put up a pic of her :) She been the only cow on the farm.

Woohoo - got the battery charged on the lawnmower in time to get the grass cut before the rain :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

PB lm heifer arrived today off CWI, mother has good milk so this calf will hopefully be one for keeping!

.Kovu. wrote: »
    PB lm heifer arrived today off CWI, mother has good milk so this calf will hopefully be one for keeping!
    Best of luck with her. Always nice to get a heifer from a good cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Notice chit-chat 4 nearly half way to 10000 posts. There's been a lot of changes etc in the first 5000 posts. Any guesses as to what the next 5000 will bring?????

• Advertisement

Notice chit-chat 4 nearly half way to 10000 posts. There's been a lot of changes etc in the first 5000 posts. Any guesses as to what the next 5000 will bring?????

I plan on being abducted by aliens for a week or so.

Or Belgians as they're also called.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

A Christmas wedding between two posters ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

plenty of rows bans and infractions and thats just next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Woohoo - got the battery charged on the lawnmower in time to get the grass cut before the rain :D

Result :D

moy83 wrote: »
    A Christmas wedding between two posters ?

Between who now Moy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

got it cut also yesterday while was dry,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭premier10

Ewes could get few days in mine, gone too strong to dry out for cutting. Bulling rain again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Complaints about weather/ department/ ect.

Lots of talk about silage and bales.

And if we get a fine week, free and frazzeled complaing about drought and another couple of heros asking about haybobs and square bales.

And most likely at some stage,a night of drunken posting that results in bans and closed accounts. And the arrival of whelan 3 a week later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Have you used CWI before? If so, what's your opinion of him? I enquired about him last week and was told that his daughters would have more milk than their mothers but that he's best suited to cows with muscle and shape.

tanko wrote: »
    Have you used CWI before? If so, what's your opinion of him? I enquired about him last week and was told that his daughters would have more milk than their mothers but that he's best suited to cows with muscle and shape.

Just once, a calf that had to be sectioned so can't really use him as a comparison. The mother is large framed with a great frame and confirmation so I'm hoping the calf will be nice as she grows.

Have another PB 2 weeks over to ERE, that bull with the 20% difficulty:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

I plan on being abducted by aliens for a week or so.

Or Belgians as they're also called.:D

Ya, but will you have caught that illusive mink?:D

Ya, but will you have caught that illusive mink?:D

I'll bring him with me and we can be married next day, by the Turkey who lives on the hill :p

Just once, a calf that had to be sectioned so can't really use him as a comparison. The mother is large framed with a great frame and confirmation so I'm hoping the calf will be nice as she grows.

Have another PB 2 weeks over to ERE, that bull with the 20% difficulty:pac:

Some breeders think that ERE doesn't deserve that figure at all, that it should be about 13%. Do you think Navarin would be a good bull to use on commercial cows to try and breed replacements?

Some breeders think that ERE doesn't deserve that figure at all, that it should be about 13%. Do you think Navarin would be a good bull to use on commercial cows to try and breed replacements?

Most of our LM cows are Navarin crosses or have him in their back breeding!

Find them very docile, maybe lacking a bit in milk and the cows put on fat very easy. Bad feet too but that could be just us with the bad land:D

Most of our LM cows are Navarin crosses or have him in their back breeding!

Find them very docile, maybe lacking a bit in milk and the cows put on fat very easy. Bad feet too but that could be just us with the bad land:D

Last question:D. Is he hard calved?

From what I remember, no. All the cows we have off him just spit out their calves too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

Does any know where you can get Hansen water connections. I'm sick of the new Phil Mac. They just don't do it for me. The Hansen seem to have a good lock and give mostly unrestricted flow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Navarin ain't hard calved. He's a ball of muscle, docile and holds milk.
    We've had some good stock off him. Where he worked best for us, The cow would ideally bring a bit of size.

Does any know where you can get Hansen water connections. I'm sick of the new Phil Mac. They just don't do it for me. The Hansen seem to have a good lock and give mostly unrestricted flow.
    Mullinahone are approved distributors.
    http://www.hansenproducts.co.nz/distributors.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

Mullinahone are approved distributors.
    http://www.hansenproducts.co.nz/distributors.htm

Do any of you use these types for bigger pipes say 1'' and how do you find them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭premier10

Have another PB 2 weeks over to ERE, that bull with the 20% difficulty:pac:[/quote

I sense a section soon enough

premier10 wrote: »
    I sense a section soon enough

Ugh, not another one I hope. She's in on hay for the last 3 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Anyone read the artical about Ardlea's new lim herdsire bought for E70k in the UK. The guy who reared him only has 3 pbr cows and this was only his second haltered sale. One can only dream!!

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Anyone read the artical about Ardlea's new lim herdsire bought for E70k in the UK. The guy who reared him only has 3 pbr cows and this was only his second haltered sale. One can only dream!!

Sure stick a few Cerberus straws in your best cows and that'll be you in a couple of years:D

Sure stick a few Cerberus straws in your best cows and that'll be you in a couple of years:D
    You'll enjoy this then (even if I did'nt) Had a heifer bulling on Wed, told the auld man to ring ai man and use one of the gzp straws on her, however when I came home gzp became wta. He had used one of the tonka straws on her. Flippen 40e straw which can't be got anymore on a commercial heifer. I nearly cried.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

It will be hard for him to try and get better prices for his weanlin next year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Do any of you use these types for bigger pipes say 1'' and how do you find them.

All our water pipes are 2inch here and it's all we use.

You'll enjoy this then (even if I did'nt) Had a heifer bulling on Wed, told the auld man to ring ai man and use one of the gzp straws on her, however when I came home gzp became wta. He had used one of the tonka straws on her. Flippen 40e straw which can't be got anymore on a commercial heifer. I nearly cried.

Couldn't help having a good laugh at that. You can be certain that she'll go in calf, no danger of a repeat there. According to semenstore.ie tonka straws are available for €25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Anyone here done the trailer towing test ? Whats involved, I have a daughter doing it so she can tow horsebox with jeep , she has b licence

Couldn't help having a good laugh at that. You can be certain that she'll go in calf, no danger of a repeat there. According to semenstore.ie tonka straws are available for €25.
    Tanko, your really making my night!!! I paid 40e for mine off powerful genetics. Did'nt know about that site though. So I'll forgive you this time just don't make a habit of it.

• Advertisement

dharn wrote: »
    Anyone here done the trailer towing test ? Whats involved, I have a daughter doing it so she can tow horsebox with jeep , she has b licence
    There is a very good forum on the motoring thread on boards.ie regarding learner drivers. They are super helpful over there and will answer any question that you have.
    I got some excellent advice when I was applying for my learner permit for OH lorry.
    Apparently,nowdays all trailers need to have correct ballast while doing the test.
    Here is the link
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=909

Tanko, your really making my night!!! I paid 40e for mine off powerful genetics. Did'nt know about that site though. So I'll forgive you this time just don't make a habit of it.

No bother, you're welcome. Can't think of anything else to annoy ya with at the minute:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

GY A1 wrote: »
    got it cut also yesterday while was dry,

Young lad here burned the drive belt off the mower 2 nights in a row. It'd gotten heavy but I think he needs to adjust his driving style:D:D. Got 2 replacements the first time so he was going again in 5 mins.

feck another one gone, hope ya come back, everytime i see your name i think of bananas:D

feck another one gone, hope ya come back, everytime i see your name i think of bananas:D

Maybe that's why they are changing their name :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Noah's ark will be called for of this rain keeps up.....is Russell Crowe around to pilot it!?

got the youngest lad a kindle fire hd for his birthday yesterday, rather than having a big party, it worked for about 2 hours and stopped:(:mad: have just been on to amazon and they are sending out a new one, fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Reggie. wrote: »
    Maybe that's why they are changing their name :D

Who have we lost now ?

got the youngest lad a kindle fire hd for his birthday yesterday, rather than having a big party, it worked for about 2 hours and stopped:(:mad: have just been on to amazon and they are sending out a new one, fair play to them.

Great idea! And fair play to amazon for doing that.
    I got a good deal on an iRiver a while back, just so useful when travelling. Lots of books to be found online too;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Can I claim a prize :D ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement