Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

whelan2 wrote: »
    going to head over to see the giro d'italia:D

Are ya not gonna watch Suarez crying again Whelan. championeee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,867 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mulumpy wrote: »
    Are ya not gonna watch Suarez crying again Whelan. championeee!
    watching that now, liverpool did very well this season, if anyone had said this time last year they would be in with a chance of winning the premier league i am sure most people would have laughed, anyways we have a place in europe for next year which is better than man united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Well finally got the clock hung up in the child's room. HO only had to "remind" me a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

watching that now, liverpool did very well this season, if anyone had said this time last year they would be in with a chance of winning the premier league i am sure most people would have laughed, anyways we have a place in europe for next year which is better than man united

Ah they did in fairness its just the way they threw it away. When city got fourth and fa cup three seasons ago I didn't think it could get any better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Time will tell if it's a good job :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Off for a carvery dinner with the girlfriend. Should be nice. Back then for milking :(

And this is what would drive me away from gping back into milking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

And this is what would drive me away from gping back into milking[/quote

Just gave your neighbours a good trashing in p ui r

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

And this is what would drive me away from gping back into milking[/quote

Just gave your neighbours a good trashing in p ui r

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Mulumpy wrote: »
    Ah they did in fairness its just the way they threw it away. When city got fourth and fa cup three seasons ago I didn't think it could get any better than that.

If ya gave every club in the premiership a couple hundred million they would prob win it too, although spurs blew a 100 million on pure ****e

For the squad and money spent Liverpool did very well this year, next year will be interesting for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Off for a carvery dinner with the girlfriend. Should be nice. Back then for milking :(

Learn to cook a few decent meals for her Greengrass. There's a lot to be said for a rosemantic dinner for two with a candle and flowers and stuff ;)

Plus there's the added advantage of being able to keep an eye on the cattle in the fields through the window at the same time!

• Advertisement

If ya gave every club in the premiership a couple hundred million they would prob win it too, although spurs blew a 100 million on pure ****e

For the squad and money spent Liverpool did very well this year, next year will be interesting for them
    nearly cried on monday night liverpool 3-0 up and let in 3 stupid goals, they where lucky they wheren't bet. Its great for kids to see the man united dont win all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Learn to cook a few decent meals for her Greengrass. There's a lot to be said for a rosemantic dinner for two with a candle and flowers and stuff ;)

Plus there's the added advantage of being able to keep an eye on the cattle in the fields through the window at the same time!
    I can cook. Made roast beef a few times and pork and chicken..
    Feck all to it really. Through it in a pan with hot water and bung it in the cooker....simples :D
    Although it would be more like a farmers dinner than a restaurant dinner :)

And this is what would drive me away from gping back into milking

Ah its a nuisance sometimes. Hopefully in a few yrs I can get a milker in of a sat or Sunday.
    How'd the robots work out after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

nearly cried on monday night liverpool 3-0 up and let in 3 stupid goals, they where lucky they wheren't bet. Its great for kids to see the man united dont win all the time

Yep I was watching in disbelief. Unfortunately it was the Chelsea game that lost it. Should have played defensively that day and taken the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Ah its a nuisance sometimes. Hopefully in a few yrs I can get a milker in of a sat or Sunday.

A definite no go for now. There is a new generation of robots being rolled out on the next 5 yeard. I'd be better ofg buyong a second hand 14 unit and suffer the monotony/hardship until these new generation are proven on farms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

A definite no go for now. There is a new generation of robots being rolled out on the next 5 yeard. I'd be better ofg buyong a second hand 14 unit and suffer the monotony/hardship until these new generation are proven on farms

What sort of outputs are they talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

What sort of outputs are they talking about?

Yeh more information needed on these next generation robots!

Why in afew years? Why not now?? Your tied down enough with dairying as is milking 14 times a wk most weeks anyways, if you can't justify getting in a milker every so often then your doing something wrong. And before you mention your dad ha, it shouldn't be his decision at all, even if he disapproves at 1st it doesn't matter, he'll quickly adjust to it. Your better off get it out of the way now and letting him know that you getting a milker in randomly is going to be part of the deal of you working at home, than hold off until "sometime in the future" , because what happens is suddenly afew years do slip by and you realise you were an utter slave to the farm when you should have been having fun ha!

Timmaay wrote: »
    Why in afew years? Why not now?? Your tied down enough with dairying as is milking 14 times a wk most weeks anyways, if you can't justify getting in a milker every so often then your doing something wrong. And before you mention your dad ha, it shouldn't be his decision at all, even if he disapproves at 1st it doesn't matter, he'll quickly adjust to it. Your better off get it out of the way now and letting him know that you getting a milker in randomly is going to be part of the deal of you working at home, than hold off until "sometime in the future" , because what happens is suddenly afew years do slip by and you realise you were an utter slave to the farm when you should have been having fun ha!
    also no harm having someone trained in to your farm if an emergency arises

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    Don't feel I really need it tbh. It doesn't bother me at the minute being tied to milking. Might bother a lot of other lads alright. I'd prefer have all my facilities set up and running a good operation by the time I'm hitting my late 20's.
    Notions....I know

I don't know taking it easy tbh. Any way its summer now so once first cut silage us out if way and majority if breeding is done I'll have loads of free time in evenings to go off.

Not like I'm stuck at home everyday of the week. I'd be at something 4/7 nights a week away from home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

going to head over to see the giro d'italia:D

What did ya think of it all?

Don't feel I really need it tbh. It doesn't bother me at the minute being tied to milking. Might bother a lot of other lads alright. I'd prefer have all my facilities set up and running a good operation by the time I'm hitting my late 20's.
    Notions....I know

I don't know taking it easy tbh. Any way its summer now so once first cut silage us out if way and majority if breeding is done I'll have loads of free time in evenings to go off.

Not like I'm stuck at home everyday of the week. I'd be at something 4/7 nights a week away from home
    Ha fair enough, guess its more I enjoyed life before being tied down to the farm and milking every single day, and this is the 1st season block calving, all year around calving ya never get a break.

What did ya think of it all?
    alot of work went into it, plenty of garda motorbikes etc. Caravan went by shortly after 1-about 20 cars/vans in it- then around half 2 the cyclists came along, there was a break away group of around 5 and then a few minutes later the main group went by. Weather was the only downer , it bucketed down. Massive crowd where we where looking at it.

alot of work went into it, plenty of garda motorbikes etc. Caravan went by shortly after 1-about 20 cars/vans in it- then around half 2 the cyclists came along, there was a break away group of around 5 and then a few minutes later the main group went by. Weather was the only downer , it bucketed down. Massive crowd where we where looking at it.

I'd say I was very near ya! I was up from a staggered cross, not far from a pub.
    I was tucked in under a sycamore tree.

I was amazed by how tight the peloton was. And how relaxed they looked in comparison to the hard work the breakaway group we're doing. Glad I went, and a great crowd in the countryside to cheer em on.

we where across the road from pub, no umbrellas or raincoats as sun was shining when we left home:mad: was great to see the race, a once i a lifetime experience

• Advertisement

we where across the road from pub, no umbrellas or raincoats as sun was shining when we left home:mad: was great to see the race, a once i a lifetime experience

Woeful heavy shower of rain and hail, luckily the tree took most of it. I headed off to work straight after it.

Woeful heavy shower of rain and hail, luckily the tree took most of it. I headed off to work straight after it.
    was a serious shower of hailstones at milking time also-just after 5- no problem getting cows into parlour this evening

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I'd say I was very near ya! I was up from a staggered cross, not far from a pub.
    I was tucked in under a sycamore tree.

I was amazed by how tight the peloton was. And how relaxed they looked in comparison to the hard work the breakaway group we're doing. Glad I went, and a great crowd in the countryside to cheer em on.

You use waaaaay less energy in a group than in with a few riders. In the peleton, they can spin along at 42kmph average as they are covered in the group from wind resistence and slipstreaming. Very little required to cut through the air, just spin along.
    On track, the second rider in the team pursuit for example (the race where they are in a line and cross back every half lap) saves 30% of energy, the third rider saves 50%. So the second only has to spend 70% of the energy of the first person to go at the same speed, third 50 etc. And that's indoors, so you can imagine how much is saved on the road of a windy day!

Very envious of you and Whelan2 getting to watch it. Had to go to cavan. Went through Leitrim, and my god some of the land out there'd depress ya. How anything was reared or grew in some bits is a mystery. Although it wasn't too bad round Mohill to be fair. Went by one bit and the father goes 'jaysus chrisht, imagine livin here. Neare a green field ta look out on fcuk sake'. Talk about hardship!
    ETA feel bad about slagging leitrim. If ya can make a farm work there you could make it work anywhere!

gadetra wrote: »
    You use waaaaay less energy in a group than in with a few riders. In the peleton, they can spin along at 42kmph average as they are covered in the group from wind resistence and slipstreaming. Very little required to cut through the air, just spin along.
    On track, the second rider in the team pursuit for example (the race where they are in a line and cross back every half lap) saves 30% of energy, the third rider saves 50%. So the second only has to spend 70% of the energy of the first person to go at the same speed, third 50 etc. And that's indoors, so you can imagine how much is saved on the road of a windy day!

Very envious of you and Whelan2 getting to watch it. Had to go to cavan. Went through Leitrim, and my god some of the land out there'd depress ya. How anything was reared or grew in some bits is a mystery. Although it wasn't too bad round Mohill to be fair. Went by one bit and the father goes 'jaysus chrisht, imagine livin here. Neare a green field ta look out on fcuk sake'. Talk about hardship!
    ETA feel bad about slagging leitrim. If ya can make a farm work there you could make it work anywhere!

*appears out of rushes to shake fist at you......sinks back into rushes*

:P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

.Kovu. wrote: »
    *appears out of rushes to shake fist at you......sinks back into rushes*

:P

....... *stands looking around, scared* I could have sworn I heard something..............fcuk this I'm goin home.....
    *takes inaqequate cover in longford rushes* :p

• Advertisement

see gardai found a viable device in lucan on saturday night that they reckon might have been used at the giro d'italia:eek::eek: would have caused devastation with the crowds that where around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Used to do the Maracycle (Dublin to Belfast and back the next day)every year, you'd just spin along in the group and I'm certainly not built for speed. Cycling with friends is a great stress buster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

see gardai found a viable device in lucan on saturday night that they reckon might have been used at the giro d'italia:eek::eek: would have caused devastation with the crowds that where around

Madness.
    The thought process of these people is just sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Wait on............

Had a SFP map correction to do this morning, I forgot about the foundation for the polytunnel when I submitted maps to Teagasc last week. I photocopied my map, made the correction in pen, scanned the map into the computer and emailed it to my advisor. Very handy I thought.

how many days after a section do you inject cow and with what?

48 hrs but can't remember the injection

Had a SFP map correction to do this morning, I forgot about the foundation for the polytunnel when I submitted maps to Teagasc last week. I photocopied my map, made the correction in pen, scanned the map into the computer and emailed it to my advisor. Very handy I thought.

Very handy but it never works out that easy for ya

Reggie. wrote: »
    48 hrs but can't remember the injection
    was wondering our cow was done on saturday, got noroclav yesterday and today, will get it again tomorrow and vet said to get another bottle, its very hard to get her down the crush

Every vet will have their own preferences, we used 20ml of Betamox 48hrs after section, pain in the ass to get her up the crush. Can't blame her, that was her second section. Think she got a long acting shot of something too.

A clean bed for her is as good as any injection.

• Advertisement

Very handy but it never works out that easy for ya

For me or in general?

It'll do.

For me or in general?

It'll do.

Take your pick :D......sure you love hardship anyways

Take your pick :D......sure you love hardship anyways

Nah, be grand, sure it's only officialdom, what could possibly go wrong.

Nah, be grand, sure it's only officialdom, what could possibly go wrong.

And you buried under paperwork in the office the other day

And you buried under paperwork in the office the other day

Hah, didn't get done, I escaped and went weighing and dosing lambs instead.

Sooner I do it, sooner it's done, but the thought of it is an awful thing.

Hah, didn't get done, I escaped and went weighing and dosing lambs instead.

Sooner I do it, sooner it's done, but the thought of it is an awful thing.

Look con your better getting stuck into it when the weather is on the bad side. Horrible thing to be doing when the weather's fine

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Take note.

10264385_578839732213715_22387084913665136_n.jpg

Look con your better getting stuck into it when the weather is on the bad side. Horrible thing to be doing when the weather's fine

I live in the West of Ireland, there'll be plenty wet days yet :D

Fookin meetings queuing up like Dublin busses at the moment.

I live in the West of Ireland, there'll be plenty wet days yet :D

Fookin meetings queuing up like Dublin busses at the moment.

That's the price of popularity

• Advertisement

Anyone ever see those window suckers for holding monitors in the tractor Cab?
    Have one on monitor for wrapper and want to get one to hold baler moniter and hedge trimmer controls.
    Don't fancy welding a pipr on side if the cab. Seen them in donedeak but can't find add

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement