Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Anyone ever see those window suckers for holding monitors in the tractor Cab?
    Have one on monitor for wrapper and want to get one to hold baler moniter and hedge trimmer controls.
    Don't fancy welding a pipr on side if the cab. Seen them in donedeak but can't find add
    Found it. Alls good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭eire23

http://www.donedeal.co.uk/fertiliserspreaders-for-sale/controller-monitor-in-cab-mounts/6674604

This the one yer thinking of greengrass? Bought one of him last year and it does the job fierce well.

eire23 wrote: »
    http://www.donedeal.co.uk/fertiliserspreaders-for-sale/controller-monitor-in-cab-mounts/6674604

This the one yer thinking of greengrass? Bought one of him last year and it does the job fierce well.
    That's the job. Would they hold a but of hand pressure with the hedge trimmer controls?
    Don't want a big ignorant pipe stuck in the tractor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭eire23

That's the job. Would they hold a but of hand pressure with the hedge trimmer controls?
    Don't want a big ignorant pipe stuck in the tractor

I think it would, i have a monitor on it and there isnt budge out of it.
    Talk to yer man anyways, he will tell ya for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Really beautiful night out there tonight, as least here it is.
    Love nights like this, walked down to check a cow close to calving and no torch needed as the moon is enough, warm enough for a t shirt as well. Could hear curlew away in the lower bog lands piping away and the other cows munching away in the field.

Almost made me forget about all that hail earlier. Almost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Really beautiful night out there tonight, as least here it is.
    Love nights like this, walked down to check a cow close to calving and no torch needed as the moon is enough, warm enough for a t shirt as well. Could hear curlew away in the lower bog lands piping away and the other cows munching away in the field.

Almost made me forget about all that hail earlier. Almost.

Just remineded me that I was meant to check two heifers for calving before I went to bed , and of course I'm under the blankies now :mad:

moy83 wrote: »
    Just remineded me that I was meant to check two heifers for calving before I went to bed , and of course I'm under the blankies now :mad:

Remember don't be silly and wrap your .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Too late gg , its me should be giving you that advice :D

moy83 wrote: »
    Too late gg , its me should be giving you that advice :D

I'm only a youngin. Haven't a clue about them things yet :D

Silage. Wait....that doesn't seem right.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I'm only a youngin. Haven't a clue about them things yet :D

Ya won't be long learning if she comes with the good news for ya.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Meeting a guy from GEA milking machines in Stoneleigh today........ any questions for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭jfh

Meeting a guy from GEA milking machines in Stoneleigh today........ any questions for him.

Fair play, you're doing a bit of research, be interesting to compare, lely, Delaval, GEA. price & service contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭jfh

Herd test today, I just know there's going to be a lot of excitement & swearing, giving out! Love it!
    which drives those limos worse than they need to be.
    I'm going to read "if" just so I might be a bit calm myself ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Had a young female vet testing recently who insisted on clipping neatly, you would think they were getting a haircut, then the jab had to land in the dead center of this spot , this involved waiting for the lim to stop moving, approach with injector take aim....it took so long the crush finished up bent, and a bullock on his back 4 legs in the air stuck, another hour to drag/ lift him out of it:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Who services GEA in west cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Just back from visiting some family and a few friends, sitting on boards having my last nz beer on my last night in New Zealand. I've had a fantastic time over here, nearly four years ago I took a notion and booked a flight thinking I'd go over for eight months, didn't think I'd stay this long, in its own way that's an achievement for myself. But what I did realise here is an interest in agriculture that I probably didn't realise I had before I left. I've learnt a lot in the time I've been out here and forgotten even more, but to me the best thing about being out here is the people I've meet. No doubt about it, be they irish or kiwi or from other parts of the world, I've made some friends for life out here and it's been a pleasure.

Now I'm off to thailand for a week of paradise before I get back to reality, I hope I haven't missed the summer!

Slán

C0N0R wrote: »
    Just back from visiting some family and a few friends, sitting on boards having my last nz beer on my last night in New Zealand. I've had a fantastic time over here, nearly four years ago I took a notion and booked a flight thinking I'd go over for eight months, didn't think I'd stay this long, in its own way that's an achievement for myself. But what I did realise here is an interest in agriculture that I probably didn't realise I had before I left. I've learnt a lot in the time I've been out here and forgotten even more, but to me the best thing about being out here is the people I've meet. No doubt about it, be they irish or kiwi or from other parts of the world, I've made some friends for life out here and it's been a pleasure.

Now I'm off to thailand for a week of paradise before I get back to reality, I hope I haven't missed the summer!

Slán

Fair play. Are you going to set up here or what's the plan. NZ is an absolute stunning country. I'd say its nearly like leaving home again. You might be home sick when you get back to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 kake

Word around these parts is that a famous limousin breeder in {modsnip} had all of his bulls removed and slaughtered over the last few days by the Department of Agriculture because he was feeding them something contaminated / illegal. The Department of Agriculture are currently in the process of locating and slaughtering all of the bulls that he sold over the last few years. Even his own vet had bought a bull from them and his bull was removed and slaughtered yesterday with very little notice!

kake wrote: »
    Word around these parts is that a famous limousin breeder in {modsnip} had all of his bulls removed and slaughtered over the last few days by the Department of Agriculture because he was feeding them something contaminated / illegal. The Department of Agriculture are currently in the process of locating and slaughtering all of the bulls that he sold over the last few years. Even his own vet had bought a bull from them and his bull was removed and slaughtered yesterday with very little notice!

I heard that this morning. Can we just refrain from mentioning this further until I speak to the other mods? Please & thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

C0N0R wrote: »

Slán

Fair play to you I know how you feel.
    Ps in Thailand make sure they are shorter than you and look at the hands ha,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,867 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

do department of ag offices close at 12.30 for lunch:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

whelan2 wrote: »

Ya pritty sure the Portlaoise one dose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We have been having a problem with one bull that got squeezed a few weeks ago. Noticed that one scrotum was enlarging daily. Brought him in this morning to have a look and when I put my hand on it to have a feel it burst and a load of puss came out :eek:
    I got some peroxide and water to wash it out. After a few syringes pumped into it the and me inserting my finger to get the gunge out the hole got bigger.
    Next thing out popped one of his testis onto the ground. OH nearly keeled over there and then. Men are such whimps ;)

Base price wrote: »
    We have been having a problem with one bull that got squeezed a few weeks ago. Noticed that one scrotum was enlarging daily. Brought him in this morning to have a look and when I put my hand on it to have a feel it burst and a load of puss came out :eek:
    I got some peroxide and water to wash it out. After a few syringes pumped into it the and me inserting my finger to get the gunge out the hole got bigger.
    Next thing out popped one of his testis onto the ground. OH nearly keeled over there and then. Men are such whimps ;)

Upon reading that,I wonder how many men crossed their legs!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

The shock froze my body so no crossed legs here :eek::D

the smell will be on your hands for ages, did you inject him-the bull- too with antibiotics

the smell will be on your hands for ages, did you inject him-the bull- too with antibiotics
    Don't worry, I wore gloves.
    Yes he has been treated twice with both Betamox and Dextameth over the last few weeks.
    I smothered the best of the skin with stokholm tar to help keep the flies away.
    I will bring him in a wash it out every day until it starts to heal.
    Had one last year as well but the testis didn't drop out :cool:
    Brings a whole new meaning to dropping the ball :D

Who services GEA in west cork?

No one as far as I know. But it's the technology side of things I'm investigating. If they are going to have a robot in a rotary parlour that can milk 150 cows or more they would be the way forward for those that are interested in going down the robot route

• Advertisement

Off to go visit girlfriend in hospital. Hopefullyvbe back for milking

Off to go visit girlfriend in hospital. Hopefullyvbe back for milking

Is she ok

Is she ok

She was in crash last week and still not right after it. Nothing broken but load if muscles tire and she's dizzy the whole timkw. Doc sent her to hospital yesterday at 5 and she didn't get bed till 2 and still no doctor saying what's wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

She was in crash last week and still not right after it. Nothing broken but load if muscles tire and she's dizzy the whole timkw. Doc sent her to hospital yesterday at 5 and she didn't get bed till 2 and still no doctor saying what's wrong
    ya want to be getting a ct scan if she is still dizzy
    ans right everthing down about the crash as you might need all the info later down the line

naughto wrote: »
    ya want to be getting a ct scan if she is still dizzy
    ans right everthing down about the crash as you might need all the info later down the line

They won't do a ct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

No one as far as I know. But it's the technology side of things I'm investigating. If they are going to have a robot in a rotary parlour that can milk 150 cows or more they would be the way forward for those that are interested in going down the robot route

Wow, that's interesting, u would really see robots take off if they could master idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I feels queezy now. what way did you castrate him? Burdizzo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

Two blocks I'd say after what has happened the poor basta1d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Another young man had been taken from us today.
    Be safe on the farm folks especially during the busy season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

12:30 to 1:30 AFAIK

_Brian wrote: »
    12:30 to 1:30 AFAIK

Found out the hard way 12.30 -2pm

• Advertisement

They decided now it might be best to get a ct scan. FFS some joke. That's what she was sent for.
    Doctor couldn't believe she hit the wire railing at 120k and was still in one piece

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Fair play. Are you going to set up here or what's the plan. NZ is an absolute stunning country. I'd say its nearly like leaving home again. You might be home sick when you get back to Ireland.

Plan at the moment is to come home for a few months, work at home doing some tidy up jobs and give the auld lad a break plus any other casual work I can find, then in October head to oz to do a harvest as its something ive always wanted to do. After that travel oz a bit then home to start my green cert and seriously look and see if the home place can provide some sort of reasonable income going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Eaten by feckin midges this evening:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Damo810 wrote: »

He would annoy the hell out if me at a mart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Doctor couldn't believe she hit the wire railing at 120k and was still in one piece

Good God, when you put it like that you realise how much worse it could of been and also how poorly the health service is run.
    Keep the pressure on them and hope she makes a speedy recovery. Look after her anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

when our neighbour had a stroke, luckily his son was with him and bundled him into the car and straight to hospital. There he met a family friend, a nurse, coming off shift. She told him straight to" shout and roar like the Africans do, or he Will be left sitting till its too late" He rise hell and the interm finally got the doctor, who grudgingly decided that a lay person may actually have correctly diagnosed a condition. The neighbour is back contracting now, a month later .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

They decided now it might be best to get a ct scan. FFS some joke. That's what she was sent for.

Keep asking questions and for second opinions. Do not stop or become complacent until you are satisfied all your questions have been answered. While it is up to your girlfriends parents, you can help in describing symptoms to the parents and supporting them by giving them questions to ask, and pointers. Keep pushing, the system is clogged and things are easily overlooked imo. Older people can have a deference for the medical profession and hesitate, don't. Be a pest.

Vet did him along with about 70 others with a burdizzo - he was the only problem that we had this year.

Greengrass - hope your OH is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

they are already tailing a robot arm in rotary sheds on a farm in nz think it is gea, milking a lot of cows too, how its going is been kept under wraps id say because you hear very little about it. In this shed tho the robot only replaces the milker , someone still has to get cows in for milking.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement