Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

.Kovu. wrote: »
    What if you have your ground planted ;)

She'd have no cows to milk and be off spending all the time. Short answer, no cows and no wife.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I rang a very smart woman today about maiden heifers she had advertised on the paper. The conversation went something like this
    Me: how many have you for sale?
    Woman: how many do you want?
    Me: it depends on the price, how much are you looking for them?
    Woman: how much would you pay for them?
    Me: around 650
    Woman: huh! Actually we can't sell them we must have a herd test first, goodbye

What was that all about? Surely if you are selling anything you must be prepared to answer questions and give some information about what you have for sale.
    Anyway if you by some chance you are reading this you just got rid of a perspective buyer and I would have been prepared to pay more if they were suitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I rang a very smart woman today about maiden heifers she had advertised on the paper. The conversation went something like this
    Me: how many have you for sale?
    Woman: how many do you want?
    Me: it depends on the price, how much are you looking for them?
    Woman: how much would you pay for them?
    Me: around 650
    Woman: huh! Actually we can't sell them we must have a herd test first, goodbye

What was that all about? Surely if you are selling anything you must be prepared to answer questions and give some information about what you have for sale.
    Anyway if you by some chance you are reading this you just got rid of a perspective buyer and I would have been prepared to pay more if they were suitable.

You ll always have people like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

where would a man go to get a look at them there maps you refer to Brian
    _Brian wrote: »
    When I'm back at the laptop I'll post a link to the article I was using.

Here's the link I was using.. Now I haven't had time to read though all of the paper but the maps give good giudance.

http://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2011/823/Trace_Elements.pdf

Maybe there are better more detailed maps out there but this one showed what I was looking for so I didn't search any further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

It is not rocket science placing a water trough in the middle of the field is an answer to a lot of these issue, but most drystock and older farmers would have a hearth attack. Put a few posts beside it and fence to them this allows a field to become 4 paddocks.

Most dairy farmers forget that they supplement early and late in the season so it is a factor on turnout date. The biggest factor I see is resistance to reseeding by drystock farmers

Yep that's the biggest prob. One neighbour my father would be fairly friendly with and would be talking most week. I told him I'd spray off an acre for him and spread the fert and post emerged spray on it for nothing just so he would see the difference in the grass. His land is in top nick so I suggested DD.
    Nope no go

• Advertisement

Here's the link I was using.. Now I haven't had time to read though all of the paper but the maps give good giudance.

http://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2011/823/Trace_Elements.pdf

Maybe there are better more detailed maps out there but this one showed what I was looking for so I didn't search any further.

Was just reading through the detail and interestingly soil with high Iron (Fe) content also suppresses copper (Cu) uptake, many or even most of our field drains both old and new would run orange with rust from the Iron deposits in the soil..

Was just reading through the detail and interestingly soil with high Iron (Fe) content also suppresses copper (Cu) uptake, many or even most of our field drains both old and new would run orange with rust from the Iron deposits in the soil..

We are the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Reggie. wrote: »
    We are the same
    We are the same here. We automatically give copper to everything whether they are showing signs of deficiency or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Yep that's the biggest prob. One neighbour my father would be fairly friendly with and would be talking most week. I told him I'd spray off an acre for him and spread the fert and post emerged spray on it for nothing just so he would see the difference in the grass. His land is in top nick so I suggested DD.
    Nope no go

You're judging it in a dairy situation, is it worth the difference in the profit margin in a sheep/cattle situation, probably cost the profit of eighty ewes to reseed 10% of my land every year.....sounds like a busy fool scenario here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

rangler1 wrote: »
    You're judging it in a dairy situation, is it worth the difference in the profit margin in a sheep/cattle situation, probably cost the profit of eighty ewes to reseed 10% of my land every year.....sounds like a busy fool scenario here

Would you not be able to carry more ewes and get better lamb growth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Cue rangler, "ah, ahem, ah, ah, cough, ah.....ah";)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Can you guarantee that, lamb thrive is very fickle...... any way the question was, is the difference in margin worthwhile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

rangler1 wrote: »

Reseeding is not as expensive as farmers make out, DD costs about 150/acre including seed. Sheep are better to maintain grassland than cattle and are less fickle than cattle. You be able to stock at a higher rate, have better quality silage, have earlier grass I see that at present I have grass a 3-4 weeks earlier than old pasture. IMO it is generally cost neutral. At these sums would it be the profit on two ewes for one year, I expect that you could stock another ewe/acre and still have lambs finished 10 days earlier.

The biggest issue would be what to do with grass at end of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

Ok lads and lassies , any body in the Mid West Region or indeed willing to travel,

2 up coming events well worth attending

Next Sunday Limerick Classic Car will put on a fantastic display at Limerick Racecourse > Adm is just €5 and all profits after expenses will go to charity

http://www.limerick-classic-car-club.com/page3.htm

Then on June 8th , the pink ribbon walk in the Killaloe area , I will taking part sporting my pink bra, :(:( so that reason alone is enough to attend.

http://www.pinkribbonwalk.ie/

thanks for reading please spread the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Every year I put our own bred heifers to the same land with my dad, every year there are no problems.

This year we bought in three as shown in pics thread. One of them managed (:confused:) to find a nailed plank to walk on.
    Very very glad I bought heifers that are quiet, managed to halter her in the paltry bit of a crush and pull a 2 1/2 inch rusty nail out of her foot.

Tomorrow, walk the land.

Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Every year I put our own bred heifers to the same land with my dad, every year there are no problems.

This year we bought in three as shown in pics thread. One of them managed (:confused:) to find a nailed plank to walk on.
    Very very glad I bought heifers that are quiet, managed to halter her in the paltry bit of a crush and pull a 2 1/2 inch rusty nail out of her foot.

Tomorrow, walk the land.

Again.
    is she covered for tetanus? we lost a smashing heifer a few years ago when she got a nail in her foot:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭knockmulliner

Tomorrow, walk the land.

Again.
    I would also give her a shot of antibiotics to cover her for infection penstrepe or such.

got a text of a positive, can i get another tag and retest it that way or does it have to be blooded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

whelan2 wrote: »
    got a text of a positive, can i get another tag and retest it that way or does it have to be blooded?

Got one last yr so put him to one side for the knacker feed him away expected him to die after all that was said he made it to factory weight at 10 months 850 euro. Its not all its cracked up to be

dzer2 wrote: »
    Got one last yr so put him to one side for the knacker feed him away expected him to die after all that was said he made it to factory weight at 10 months 850 euro. Its not all its cracked up to be
    i am in year 3 of the scheme, had 1 positive early on in the scheme. Thought i was clear .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 kake

A client of ours had 1 last year too. Isolated him from the rest of the herd and fed him. Got €800 for him at 12 months.

But . . . .

He had 7 PI's this year out of 20 cows.

All cows have been button tagged and all are clear. It's quite possible that he transferred the disease himself on his clothes, wellingtons, meal buckets etc.

It's just not worth the chance! You risk the health of your own herd and worse than that you risk the health of other farms that you may come in contact with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Whelan I'd blood test him as it's a different test tested in a different lab.could just be a false positive.also get mother and any other descendants of calf tested.this happend neighbour of mine earlier in spring and did as I outline above and all clear.obviously isolate calf immediately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

What's the point in me and many like me shooting a positive calf if everyone else aint?
    Either we want to eradicate BVD or we don't.
    It's a joke that it's not compulsory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

i am in year 3 of the scheme, had 1 positive early on in the scheme. Thought i was clear .

In third year of scheme as well. Had first positive as well. Calf and mother blood tested. Cow ok, calf positive and sent to knackery.
    Never vaccinated at any stage. So should I
    1. Cull cow?
    2. Vaccinate all, and if so, when? And is date a.i. starts significant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

In third year of scheme as well. Had first positive as well. Calf and mother blood tested. Cow ok, calf positive and sent to knackery.
    1. Cull cow?

I'd keep the cow if the blood test is negative for her, she just came into contact with BVD while she was pregnant.
    Ask your vet about vaccinating but I would if I was you, breeding animals need to be protected from all the BVD virus being spewed out from positive animals which are being "fattened" all over the country.
    It is better if you complete vaccinations before ai starts but this isn't always possible.

1. Cull cow?
    we never vaccinated here. Will see what comes up on retest. This cow is a 3rd calver, so her 2 previous calves would have been tested .

I would also give her a shot of antibiotics to cover her for infection penstrepe or such.

Ya, we gave her a shot of betamox as well, not covered for tet though so we'll be watching her close the next few days.

Ya, we gave her a shot of betamox as well, not covered for tet though so we'll be watching her close the next few days.
    we had a neighbouring farmer who would only throw a pallet in a gap rather than fencing it. The end result was loads of rotten pallets in gaps that broke down. Disaster . Heifer stood on one of these and died of tetanus:mad::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

we had a neighbouring farmer who would only throw a pallet in a gap rather than fencing it. The end result was loads of rotten pallets in gaps that broke down. Disaster . Heifer stood on one of these and died of tetanus:mad::(

ya lazy farmer beside me also. wont do any fencing only throwing pallets and branches into gaps. somethings just never change. :mad:

• Advertisement

ahi rang me there, telling me to isolate and retest etc. I was saying its strange as i am in year 3 of the scheme etc, she said another farmer had a positive one today also , it was the final calf to finish off his 3 years in the scheme:eek:

ahi rang me there, telling me to isolate and retest etc. I was saying its strange as i am in year 3 of the scheme etc, she said another farmer had a positive one today also , it was the final calf to finish off his 3 years in the scheme:eek:

That is very unfortunate. And I for one am not a sceptical person:rolleyes:

we got 2 -female- pot bellied pigs today. Would they drink milk?

Damn sure they would - make pigs of themselves :)

Damn sure they would - make pigs of themselves :)
    cool got them for nothing off my toyboy friend:D:D they kept breaking out on the road from his house will post a pic later

cool got them for nothing off my toyboy friend:D:D they kept breaking out on the road from his house will post a pic later

Onions, lemons and oranges.
    They seem happy to eat anything only these three things.

• Advertisement

cool got them for nothing off my toyboy friend:D:D

So............. Your Toyboy porked ya?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

can you put up a picture of the pigs as well.:D:D

can you put up a picture of the pigs as well.:D:D

There's one up already in the photo thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

There's one up already in the photo thread.

yea the one on the left is the toyboy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

That is very unfortunate. And I for one am not a sceptical person:rolleyes:
    yes i for one am glad my last cow has turned up empty so

• Advertisement

Onions, lemons and oranges.
    They seem happy to eat anything only these three things.

They great with apple............sauce!

Have you named them yet. Call them after some of the posters that here on boards. Have few ideas but maybe see what their 'personality' is like first.

And let us know who you decide to call them after:)

They great with apple............sauce!

Have you named them yet. Call them after some of the posters that here on boards. Have few ideas but maybe see what their 'personality' is like first.

And let us know who you decide to call them after:)

Bet she calls one after me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Breakfast & dinner.

Tweedledum & Tweedledee or Humpty & Dumpty.

Galtee & Denny :D

Actually that reminds me. I once kept a spider I found and named him Galtee.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Tweedledum & Tweedledee or Humpty & Dumpty.

Galtee & Denny :D

Actually that reminds me. I once kept a spider I found and named him Galtee.

Did ya ever name that limo heifer?

Damo810 wrote: »
    Did ya ever name that limo heifer?

Jesus what did I call her again. Jinx I think it was, with our herd name before that. (I'm not telling ye that, you'd be all turning up at my house for tay!!:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Jesus what did I call her again. Jinx I think it was, with our herd name before that. (I'm not telling ye that, you'd be all turning up at my house for tay!!:D)

And pate

Just wondering.
    Will ye keep them on as pets or can they be eaten ??

Just wondering.
    Will ye keep them on as pets or can they be eaten ??
    i dunno, is it pot bellied pigs you have?

i dunno, is it pot bellied pigs you have?

Nope,
    Ours are Glosticure Old Spot crossed with a Max Grow Boar, bred for the table.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement