Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Burn shield? Ye mother put that on it. Did a great job

Where would ye be without the mammies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

I know. Would be lost without mine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Anyone remember their Mammies putting "Gentian Violet" on burns?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Did anyone else in the border counties express an interest in the Social Farming Across Borders? Got an application form this morning in the post, meetings in Fermanagh though so it would be far enough away.

Tell me more?? Is it closed for people now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

C0N0R wrote: »
    Tell me more?? Is it closed for people now?

I put my name down to keep up with info on it a good while back.
    Website here may be of more use to you than me trying to explain it!

It's not closed yet, they're taking applicants, or so the website says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Turn your device off and on again and check your Internet connection
    still happening running malaware now on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Anyone have a good cure for a bad burn? After burning the whole palm of my hand. Grapped a piped that had just been welded without thinking

Get to a doctor or A&E, if there isn't much pain then the burn may be very deep, ie the nerves are shot. On your way to the doctor or A&E, use grease (butter, marg) for a dry burn (you use water for a steam burn!)

_Brian wrote: »
    There's a great burn gel that you get in the chemists.. forget its name, in a smallish white bottle... Takes the heat out and seals it over so the burn heals quickly...

Is that Flamazine? it is no longer reccomended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Anyone have a good cure for a bad burn? After burning the whole palm of my hand. Grapped a piped that had just been welded without thinking
    Aloe Vera plant. Just break the leaves and rub the juice onto the burns. I've a relative that keeps a plant just for burns.
    I've done that too with welded parts. You feel stupid for doing it, but you learn teh hard way.

Oldtree wrote: »
    Get to a doctor or A&E, if there isn't much pain then the burn may be very deep, ie the nerves are shot. On your way to the doctor or A&E, use grease (butter, marg) for a dry burn (you use water for a steam burn!)

Ah I wouldnt go to A&E unless I will as half dead. Grand now once the burn ointment did its job. Still a good sting in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

whelan2 wrote: »
    still happening running malaware now on it

Could be a virus
    Did you update your virus protection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

There's a great burn gel that you get in the chemists.. forget its name, in a smallish white bottle... Takes the heat out and seals it over so the burn heals quickly...

If it's the one I'm thinking of its just called cool gel, the description matches anyways, its good stuff, but as others have said an aloe Vera plant is a great yoke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Ah I wouldnt go to A&E unless I will as half dead. Grand now once the burn ointment did its job. Still a good sting in it

Sore dose gg. We've all done it. Some heat off the hand still I'd say.

sea12 wrote: »
    Sore dose gg. We've all done it. Some heat off the hand still I'd say.

Yep. The burn shield helped a lot. Hard to milk alright

Still and all you need your hand and if its a bad burn the nerves could go...... the ointment may only be killing the pain as against a cure. Could always ask the pharmasist what they think. Or indeed ask mammy (anyones) :D she will set you straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Yep. The burn shield helped a lot. Hard to milk alright

Still ok to type though!

Smiley face

Could be a virus
    Did you update your virus protection

I use norton but even with that you need to be careful, all kinds of nasties in everything these days.

sea12 wrote: »
    Still ok to type though!

Smiley face

Ye I'm using my index finger.........takes ages. I'm like an oul fella ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

i am sure you will find it easy enough:rolleyes:

Ah

• Advertisement

Medicare burnshield hydrogel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I put my name down to keep up with info on it a good while back.
    Website here may be of more use to you than me trying to explain it!

It's not closed yet, they're taking applicants, or so the website says.
    I think that it is a good initiative for those who can gear themselves towards it as in, prepared for the responsibility and commitment. I know one of the farmers involved in the pilot scheme.

Base price wrote: »
    I think that it is a good initiative for those who can gear themselves towards it as in, prepared for the responsibility and commitment. I know one of the farmers involved in the pilot scheme.

I'd be interested in the meetings for 12 weeks but they're just so far away from me! How have they found it so far do you know? Have they had to make any changes around the yard etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

after taking peanut better down outta the press and spread on toast, lovely. best before dec 2013! gf wants to throw it out. i reckon there is that many chemicals in it, it should never go off!!

visatorro wrote: »
    after taking peanut better down outta the press and spread on toast, lovely. best before dec 2013! gf wants to throw it out. i reckon there is that many chemicals in it, it should never go off!!

Same argument the whole time in my house

I'd be interested in the meetings for 12 weeks but they're just so far away from me! How have they found it so far do you know? Have they had to make any changes around the yard etc?
    PM sent.

• Advertisement

PM sent.

Hope you sent it to the right .Kovu. :eek:

There's another poster with the same name but with no '.'s' surroundng the name. Think I may have to change again as it does cause confusion!

Anyone else having a problem with tags recently. We normally have to replace a few every year (5 or 6) mostly in older cattle but seldom in calves. We had the outdoor calves in for dosing & copper yesterday and I now have to apply for 17 tags :eek:. Only one of the calves had a torn ear the rest have a hole but no tag.

Anyone else having a problem with tags recently. We normally have to replace a few every year (5 or 6) mostly in older cattle but seldom in calves. We had the outdoor calves in for dosing & copper yesterday and I now have to apply for 17 tags :eek:. Only one of the calves had a torn ear the rest have a hole but no tag.
    is it the bvd tags they are losing, i think they replace them for free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Yeah, similar story here, I was remarking the other day that its nearly all right ear tag that's missing. Why ever that would be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Yeah, similar story here, I was remarking the other day that its nearly all right ear tag that's missing. Why ever that would be the case.

Heard a fella in the vets last week saying the same thing, said it was all the Bvd tags that were falling out. Haven't noticed any great difference here though.

• Advertisement

I did not notice if there were more on the right or left ears. To be honest, since I am out of the breeding scene, I only twigged the white and black buttons sometime in February and the reason for same :eek:
    Put it down to been too busy and feck all time to read the journal etc.
    I remember when the yellow tags were first introduced (with the four letter prefix for each herd) a good gust of wind would blow them out.
    Seems like history is repeating itself ;)

I did not notice if there were more on the right or left ears. To be honest, since I am out of the breeding scene, I only twigged the white and black buttons sometime in February and the reason for same :eek:
    Put it down to been too busy and feck all time to read the journal etc.
    I remember when the yellow tags were first introduced (with the four letter prefix for each herd) a good gust of wind would blow them out.
    Seems like history is repeating itself ;)

96/97 wasn't it?
    I only remember it was around then as I bought my very first suck calf that year in Carrigallen. Bought because her tag said 3D at the bottom. Wasn't too pushed with colour or quality at that age then!:o:D

96/97 wasn't it?
    I only remember it was around then as I bought my very first suck calf that year in Carrigallen. Bought because her tag said 3D at the bottom. Wasn't too pushed with colour or quality at that age then!:o:D

Still have a 49p and 71w here. Their days are numbered now though I'm afraid.

96/97 wasn't it?
    Yes, I think you are about on the mark. I have the old herd registers in a filing cabinet in the attic but don't have a ladder to gain access.

@ GSD - Last Autumn I helped a elderly local farmer to update the medicine section of his herd book due to a Dept inspection. He had all the receipts but they were not written up in the book. He had suckler cows in their late teens and twenties with brass tags.
    His oldest cow was a shorthorn cross cow that was 24 years of age. She never failed to calf and gave him 3 sets of twins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Still have a 49p and 71w here. Their days are numbered now though I'm afraid.

Neighbours wife has a 40 DD........

Steady....

That's an awful weight to be carrying around!

That's an awful weight to be carrying around!

Imagine the back pain

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

That must be some sight coming down the road!

Steady on there lads - I think ye are losing the run of yourselves and getting over excited.
    No offence to you lads but most of us farming ladies have handled more then most of ye could ever dream of.
    Life and all .......

• Advertisement

Steady on there lads - I think ye are losing the run of yourselves and getting over excited.
    No offence to you lads but most of us farming ladies have handled more then most of ye could ever dream of.
    Life and all .......
    :D:D:D

seriously the angleberry thread is closed. This place is unreal :mad:. My suggestion of what we did was done after vets telling us to do so:confused::confused: worked for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

seriously the angleberry thread is closed. This place is unreal :mad:. My suggestion of what we did was done after vets telling us to do so:confused::confused: worked for us

The 'veterinary advice' thing causes us mods considerable grief from time to time.
    That thread was an excellent example.
    This stuff has now come to the attention of the site owners/administrators, and the whole thing (the asking for/giving of veterinary advice) is now under review.
    The general site rules explicitly state that the giving/requesting of medical or professional advice is prohibited:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq_guidelines#faq_bie_faq_guidelines_medicalpro
    We've been running under the radar here in F&F for a long time regarding this sort of thing, but it's now being looked at at a much higher pay grade than us forum mods.
    The question being posed is does veterinary advice fall under the medical/professional rule?
    We must remember that the vast majority of the membership of this site, and by extension, the site owners and administrators, are NOT farmers or closely involved with the industry.
    To their eyes, it's a no-brainer that veterinary stuff is of course medical/professional, and that it should be very carefully watched and stringintly moderated.

We forum mods are arguing that farmers and stock keepers are 'professional' and 'competent' in their own right, and that the discussion of veterinary matters is perfectly acceptable within that context.

Some of the stuff in that Angleberries thread didn't do 'our' side of the discussion much good :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Rovi wrote: »
    The 'veterinary advice' thing causes us mods considerable grief from time to time.
    This stuff has now come to the attention of the site owners/administrators, and the whole thing (the asking for/giving of veterinary advice) is now under review.
    The general site rules explicitly state that the giving/requesting of medical or professional advice is prohibited:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq_guidelines#faq_bie_faq_guidelines_medicalpro
    We've been running under the radar here in F&F for a long time regarding this sort of thing, but it's now being looked at at a much higher pay grade than us forum mods.
    The question being posed is does veterinary advice fall under the medical/professional rule?
    We must remember that the vast majority of the membership of this site, and by extension, the site owners and administrators, are NOT farmers or closely involved with the industry.
    To their eyes, it's a no-brainer that veterinary stuff is of course medical/professional, and that it should be very carefully watched and stringintly moderated.

We forum mods are arguing that farmers and stock keepers are 'professional' and 'competent' in their own right, and that the discussion of veterinary matters is perfectly acceptable within that context.

Some of the stuff in that Angleberries thread didn't do 'our' side of the discussion much good :(
    Thats fair enough Rovi , probably doesn't do farmers reputation much good either if joe public reads some of those remedies

while i well understand that alot of people -myself included- come on here to ask other peoples opinions of various health issues of animals, its great to hear other peoples experiences/treatments and outcomes of various ailments& conditions. I know i for one have learnt a lot of things from asking such questions or reading other peoples thoughts on animal health. So is this not allowed any more?

while i well understand that alot of people -myself included- come on here to ask other peoples opinions of various health issues of animals, its great to hear other peoples experiences/treatments and outcomes of various ailments& conditions. I know i for one have learnt a lot of things from asking such questions or reading other peoples thoughts on animal health. So is this not allowed any more?

It is allowed, but we must tread very carefully pending a decision from the site admins on the whole thing.

We forum mods are suggesting a general guideline along the lines of: "Would you do it with a Department of Agriculture Veterinary Inspector watching you, or would you write it down in your Veterinary Remedies Record?"
    If it doesn't pass that test, it's probably not suitable for public publication here.

It is allowed, but we must tread very carefully pending a decision from the site admins on the whole thing.

We forum mods are suggesting a general guideline along the lines of: "Would you do it with a Department of Agriculture Veterinary Inspector watching you, or would you write it down in your Veterinary Remedies Record?"
    If it doesn't pass that test, it's probably not suitable for public publication here.
    yes i totally understand that. In fairness most people do go by that thinking on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'd say this is always going to be a contentious issue. Many of Joe Public wouldn't be best impressed if they seen animals being treated using legitimate methods, never mind some of the alternative methods mentioned from time to time.
    We could always restrict access to the forum, aren't some others access by request only.

Then Joe Public wouldn't wander in accidentally while were dehorning calves or curing angle berries and get themselves all queezy.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Imagine the back pain
    ah you get used to it:o

• Advertisement

In fairness most people do go by that thinking on here
    Absolutely!
    'Most' people are perfectly sensible and post away using common sense and discretion.

However, some people appear to think that this place is exactly the same as having a private chat with their like-minded colleagues, where they can natter away about stuff that they'd never speak of in the presence of strangers or persons in positions of authority/officialdom.
    The reality, as most of us know and understand, is that this place is composed almost entirely of 'strangers', with a fair smattering of Official Ireland, the media, and who knows who else listening in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement