Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

the good auld "huffy puffy" classes :D

Your time will come too let me tell ya. Then there will be real hiding in the calf shed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

_Brian wrote: »
    The Mrs and eldest lass are just off to One direction concert. Has anyone been yet ??

Me and the younger lass are heading to the Postman Pat movie later. I'm much happier seeing PostmanPat rather than sitting in a cold Croke Park listening to 80,000 screaming kids.

Daughter was up to Croke on Friday night and loved it, she went with friends and an adult. It rained but not as bad as it did at last night's concert by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Good game between Donegal & Derry, thrilling to the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Farrell wrote: »
    Good game between Donegal & Derry, thrilling to the end

Was watching the golf. Mcillroy won. Shane lowry second. Very exciting afternoon of golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

sea12 wrote: »
    Was watching the golf. Mcillroy won. Shane lowry second. Very exciting afternoon of golf.

Good to see he's starting to win.
    Was Lowry tied for the lead on day 1, good to see him finish strong.
    See draw in hurling, was it a good game, first few minutes looked good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

_Brian wrote: »
    The Mrs and eldest lass are just off to One direction concert. Has anyone been yet ??

Me and the younger lass are heading to the Postman Pat movie later. I'm much happier seeing PostmanPat rather than sitting in a cold Croke Park listening to 80,000 screaming kids.
    what was postman pat like? was it watchable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

whelan2 wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTh-gEAnvIM :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Bah! Went out kayaking earlier and I'm sunburnt. Wasn't even that sunny but it was bright and it was coming back off the water at me:mad:
    Wind over the lake meant I didn't feel it!

And I got chased by the cob swan when I went to see if there were any cygnets out! Ffs.:o

aaah that's windburn you have there :P

• Advertisement

Oldtree wrote: »
    aaah that's windburn you have there :P

Whatever it is I don't like it:(

Kids and I get that a lot when we visit the seaside, plenty of moisturiser lather it on.

Just had a look in the kitchen and we use Malibu soothing after sun with aloe vera and vit E and it works very well, it does what it says on the packet cools, sooths and moisturises lol

Not the alcoholic Malibu with some 7up? Damn:P

Ah aloe is somewhere in the house. I'll find it later

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Not the alcoholic Malibu with some 7up? Damn:P

Ah aloe is somewhere in the house. I'll find it later
    probable wont do any harm to get that extra bit of relief :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Had a stone mad cow calve last night. She wouln't let me anywhere near the calf, so I spent a good 30 mins just waiting there at a safe distance to make sure it drank.
    Anyway, had a brainwave today and took a bucket with some meal to one side of the field away from the calf. Checked the calf anyway, stood it up and everything while the cow was munching away. I walk away and what does the calf do, she decides to follow me. I leg it and she comes running down the field after me. Cow spots her and takes on after us. Just made it to the gate.:D
    Funny now, but she would have made mince meat of me if she got near me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Bah! Went out kayaking earlier and I'm sunburnt. Wasn't even that sunny but it was bright and it was coming back off the water at me:mad:
    Wind over the lake meant I didn't feel it!

And I got chased by the cob swan when I went to see if there were any cygnets out! Ffs.:o

Ah yes, reflection burn :D

Think it was one of my sisters bought a now deceased fisherman uncle a big wide brimmed straw hat, on the thinking he'd not get burned out in the currach.

We happened to have an abnormally sunny calm summers day, and the uncle came into our house. Burnt to a cinder from the neck up to a nice neat brim shaped line across the top of his forehead :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Had a stone mad cow calve last night. She wouln't let me anywhere near the calf, so I spent a good 30 mins just waiting there at a safe distance to make sure it drank.
    Anyway, had a brainwave today and took a bucket with some meal to one side of the field away from the calf. Checked the calf anyway, stood it up and everything while the cow was munching away. I walk away and what does the calf do, she decides to follow me. I leg it and she comes running down the field after me. Cow spots her and takes on after us. Just made it to the gate.:D
    Is stone mad all the time or just around calving? Like others have said before, too risky, let her rear the calf and then off to the factory. God forbid you might not be so lucky next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »

Watchable... just
    Young lass was delighted to get doing something when the older girl was away at the concert..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Is stone mad all the time or just around calving? Like others have said before, too risky, let her rear the calf and then off to the factory. God forbid you might not be so lucky next time.
    She's so so most of the time. Goes mad at calving though. I could hear her bawling at the calf from the next field when she calved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

She's so so most of the time. Goes mad at calving though. I could hear her bawling at the calf from the next field when she calved.
    Two neighbours of mine have had very close calls with cows calving. Any cow can turn at calving and all need to be treated with respect. If she is so so the rest of the time, my advice would be to say bye bye and use the proceeds to buy a good replacment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

Haha first time I laughed out load at a post..mind you not to funny if she had of got at you
    But made me forget about this hangover for a minute, when will I ever learn !

I don't effin' believe it. Got first cow in heat today. And sod's law, which one is it? The one that was sectioned twice:pac::pac:

Think I may chance her with a V easy ch bull. If she doesn't take first time then let her off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I don't effin' believe it. Got first cow in heat today. And sod's law, which one is it? The one that was sectioned twice:pac::pac:

Think I may chance her with a V easy ch bull. If she doesn't take first time then let her off.

What AI company do ya use?

What AI company do ya use?

Lad that carries both Bova & Dovea. Was thinking Rosemead Karona (AA) or OSI (CH)

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

I have a 13 year old cow that I'm getting rid of at the end of the year. Every 3 weeks without fail she comes in heat but some of the cows I want to put in calf have no signs at all of coming in heat :(

Lad that carries both Bova & Dovea. Was thinking Rosemead Karona (AA) or OSI (CH)

I'd be slow enough meself to put a Ch on a cow that had 2 CS's. The Ch calves can bring a bit of bone and frame, that doesnt give much when you're trying to get it out of a tight space:)
    We tried KJB on a cow heifer there lately, another cow heifer is getting MBP today.

I'd be slow enough meself to put a Ch on a cow that had 2 CS's. The Ch calves can bring a bit of bone and frame, that doesnt give much when you're trying to get it out of a tight space:)
    We tried KJB on a cow heifer there lately, another cow heifer is getting MBP today.

MBP is touchy enough at times I heard. OSI has never had a difficult calving here, we use him on most of our heifers. See, she's had the sections with a LM and a BB bull. I'd like to get a replacement out of her though but I would take any live calf that doesn't take a side route out. On the 2014 book there's a French Charolais bull Sicilen. He'd be one to hope for a heifer off. Otherwise may be a Saler!

Her chances of going back incalf after 2 of them must be pretty slim though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

MBP is touchy enough at times I heard. OSI has never had a difficult calving here, we use him on most of our heifers. See, she's had the sections with a LM and a BB bull. I'd like to get a replacement out of her though but I would take any live calf that doesn't take a side route out. On the 2014 book there's a French Charolais bull Sicilen. He'd be one to hope for a heifer off. Otherwise may be a Saler!

Her chances of going back incalf after 2 of them must be pretty slim though.

Friend of mine bred Sicilien. You won't find any dairy cows on his farm!

French Charolais bull Sicilen.

He's by a bull called Exclusif, who I used a good few years back. He was easy calved.

Will see if AI man has him so! Sheebadog, I'm putting the onus on your friends good breeding:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Will see if AI man has him so! Sheebadog, I'm putting the onus on your friends good breeding:D

He puts a lot of emphasis on milk. Lots of these top breeders have to run dairy cows to feed the calves properly!

sheebadog wrote: »
    He puts a lot of emphasis on milk. Lots of these top breeders have to run dairy cows to feed the calves properly!

Not so bad. If she goes incalf it'll be sacrifices to the bovine gods to give me a heifer calf.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

man dies in co Kerry farm accident today rip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Bokka8cIgAEplX2.jpg-large-e1401118760281.jpg

In bed early for once...... score :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Reggie. wrote: »

Its the small things in life that make us happy.......

Its the small things in life that make us happy.......

Sing that....the whole clan is in one room here

That only means one thing in this house :D

That only means one thing in this house :D

Feck all on tv....... ;-)

• Advertisement

We interrupt this broadcast too bring you an important announcement....... :D

We interrupt this broadcast too bring you an important announcement....... :D

Whats the important announcement

Whats the important announcement

I think he got some....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Peat bog the size of England discovered!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057217980

And as a poster notes, Ming only elected yesterday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

what was the name of the burn cream/spray ye where on about the other day, going to newry on thursday , i want to stock up my first aid kit. Any ideas for anything else?

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Peat bog the size of England discovered!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057217980

And as a poster notes, Ming only elected yesterday!

Anyone grazing it, does it qualify for SFP? :confused:

;)

• Advertisement

Anyone grazing it, does it qualify for SFP? :confused:

;)

If anyone would know it would be you

If anyone would know it would be you

Looked at the photo, needs a little deforestation first :D

Looked at the photo, needs a little deforestation first :D

Where's iverjohnson :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Going doing some spraying round the house with roundup biactive. Knapsack holds about 20 liters how much roundup should I throw in? Instructions are gone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

C0N0R wrote: »
    Going doing some spraying round the house with roundup biactive. Knapsack holds about 20 liters how much roundup should I throw in? Instructions are gone!
    when you think you have enough,throw in another dast just to make sure

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement