Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

Bodacious wrote: »
    U feeding at night to see will majority calve in daylight hours?!

Think he's talking bout the baby there bod:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I think you may be a tad confused Bodacious:D

Just slipped in before me tanko!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

Great minds................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Oh I wish bod :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Reggie. wrote: »
    Oh I wish bod :D

I had it typed when i twigged it you recently became a daddy

Still trying to get used to that term :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

At least you didn't ask after the condition of his calving jack :D

At least you didn't ask after the condition of his calving jack :D

Now now :D

In other news I see that twit Piers Morgan got the axe from CNN, my day has brightened somewhat at that news :)

In other news I see that twit Piers Morgan got the axe from CNN, my day has brightened somewhat at that news :)

For why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

For why

Just because I'd say tbh.

For why

For why did he get the sack? Cos he's a #######, and might have something to do with his ratings.

For why am I happy about it? Cos he's a ####### and one of these people who wants to ban guns.

For why did he get the sack? Cos he's a #######, and might have something to do with his ratings.

For why am I happy about it? Cos he's a ####### and one of these people who wants to ban guns.

Thanks for clearing that up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Wasn't there some currfuffle about a transgender guest he had on last week? I don't know the details, probably used the incorrect pronoun or something. I'm no fan either. Fovourite pastime of mine is to watch his attempts face Brett Lee over and over again.:)

Why don't you want to ban guns? I assume this is for America.

Gillespy wrote: »
    Wasn't there some currfuffle about a transgender guest he had on last week? I don't know the details, probably used the incorrect pronoun or something. I'm no fan either. Fovourite pastime of mine is to watch his attempts face Brett Lee over and over again.:)

Why don't you want to ban guns? I assume this is for America.

No idea, I don't watch him. The Alex Jones video was very funny too. Must look up Brett Lee.

I own three of them for a start, amazingly I have managed not to kill anyone in the last ten years :D Idiots and criminals kill people mostly, ban them first then reassess the situation. The logic of banning a legal gun leading to criminals having less guns doesn't make sense.

There's nothing stopping you going on a shooting spree. How many of them have we seen?

There's nothing stopping you going on a shooting spree. How many of them have we seen?

In Ireland, where we have what over 200,000 guns in the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

There's not much point comparing gun ownership laws in the US to here in Ireland. It's chalk and cheese. We have very strict regs here.

In America, that's where I assume Piers wants changes to their gun laws.

• Advertisement

Very few here. It aint the legally held weapons that's doing the damage.

In America, that's where I assume Piers wants changes to their gun laws.

That's up to them to decide not some anti gun foreigner sticking his oar in to publicise himself.

That's up to them to decide not some anti gun foreigner sticking his oar in to publicise himself.
    Plenty of Americans would agree with him. And it's part of his job as he works there.

Personally I have a small artillery here, but the weapon I choose to use most dates back centuries.

Plenty of Americans would agree with him. And it's part of his job as he works there.

Not so many as he thought, if you look up the Indo blurb about him he even admits people got bored listening to him bang on about it, even on a liberal network like CNN. I reckon he's probably done gun owners there a favour by going OTT on it.

Personally I have a small artillery here, but the weapon I choose to use most dates back centuries.

A good hefty schtick?

• Advertisement

A good hefty schtick?

A shooting stick as the dubs would say

A good hefty schtick?

A little bit more refined than simply a stick ( infact a lot more refined!), but still essentially a bent stick with a string.
    I've a few very serious weapons here, hardly a day goes by that I wouldn't use one, if only for a couple of mins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

No idea, I don't watch him. The Alex Jones video was very funny too. Must look up Brett Lee.

I own three of them for a start, amazingly I have managed not to kill anyone in the last ten years :D Idiots and criminals kill people mostly, ban them first then reassess the situation. The logic of banning a legal gun leading to criminals having less guns doesn't make sense.

The situtation in the USA is stupid. The amount of people killed by legally held guns is astonishing. This is before you get to the shooting spree's. The gun lobby answer always after such a spree it was a pity that someone was not there with there legally held fire arm. What do we get a few months later an ex cop watching a film in a cinema in Florida gets pissed off and shoots someone who he has an argument with.

However it will never change the idea that everyone is entitled to buy and own as many guns as they want has lead to a situtation where people lose control and kill all the time. They are paying a terrible price for this idea that guns solve anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

The situtation in the USA is stupid. The amount of people killed by legally held guns is astonishing. This is before you get to the shooting spree's. The gun lobby answer always after such a spree it was a pity that someone was not there with there legally held fire arm. What do we get a few months later an ex cop watching a film in a cinema in Florida gets pissed off and shoots someone who he has an argument with.

However it will never change the idea that everyone is entitled to buy and own as many guns as they want has lead to a situtation where people lose control and kill all the time. They are paying a terrible price for this idea that guns solve anything.

The genie is out of the bottle in the US and there is no way in hell they will get it back in. Well they know that it is easier to leave the status quo than try to tighten ownership laws and revoke firearms of people. The gun nuts in the US will die defending their precious personal arsenals rather than surrender them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

The problem is in what motivates people to do such things, not the gun itself. Like I said, I own three of them and despite many past challenges in life I've never once felt the need or desire to go out and mow down a few people in a hail of gunfire. The recession has had more of an effect.

We've seen handguns effectively banned here in Ireland, in what was a kneejerk reaction to a criminal shooting. What effect has banning legally held held handguns on criminals shooting other criminals or bystanders, SFA.

It just looks good in the meeja. The Gardaí and Minister for Justice being seen to be doing something, doesn't matter whether the something is effective or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Anyone see anything wrong with this picture in our national weekly farming paper?

8zd3.png

just do it wrote: »
    Anyone see anything wrong with this picture in our national weekly farming paper?

8zd3.png

The space between the roof sheets is excessive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

just do it wrote: »

8zd3.png

I presume you mean other than the obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭maxxuumman

He needs longer gloves

The problem is in what motivates people to do such things, not the gun itself. Like I said, I own three of them and despite many past challenges in life I've never once felt the need or desire to go out and mow down a few people in a hail of gunfire. The recession has had more of an effect.

We've seen handguns effectively banned here in Ireland, in what was a kneejerk reaction to a criminal shooting. What effect has banning legally held held handguns on criminals shooting other criminals or bystanders, SFA.

It just looks good in the meeja. The Gardaí and Minister for Justice being seen to be doing something, doesn't matter whether the something is effective or not.

However we have much lower levels of gun crime than the US. The situtation in the US is crazy. The amount of childern killed by gun freaks is crazy, we do not even hear of the one off shooting. There is a big difference between owning a shotgun, a small calibre rifle, a hand gun and semi-auto anf full automatic weapons. This idea in the states that they are needed for day to day protection is a complete fallacy.

The real issue is how do you restrict from those that will go crazy with them. The idea that you van access buyer that 5 years down the line will go is not a goer. Nor can you presume that his son or daughter( stastics show it will be the son rather than the daughter) go off the loop ans start shooting.

Yes in an ideal world we would all like to be able to do what we like and we can always know that we would not do that however we cannot gaurantee that someone else will not access them that will cause a serious incident

However we have much lower levels of gun crime than the US. The situtation in the US is crazy. The amount of childern killed by gun freaks is crazy, we do not even hear of the one off shooting. There is a big difference between owning a shotgun, a small calibre rifle, a hand gun and semi-auto anf full automatic weapons. This idea in the states that they are needed for day to day protection is a complete fallacy.

The real issue is how do you restrict from those that will go crazy with them. The idea that you van access buyer that 5 years down the line will go is not a goer. Nor can you presume that his son or daughter( stastics show it will be the son rather than the daughter) go off the loop ans start shooting.

Yes in an ideal world we would all like to be able to do what we like and we can always know that we would not do that however we cannot gaurantee that someone else will not access them that will cause a serious incident

Neglect, not freak accidents there's no such thing as an accident with a gun, two kids in this house. One off shootings can be for many reasons, home invasion etc. It's a different society to here.

Thankfully they have their constitution and a heavy weight lobby to back up the responsible gun owners rights. Where as here all there is is a lobby too busy with infighting, a media driven political body, and a somewhat dodgy police force.

Neglect, not freak accidents there's no such thing as an accident with a gun, two kids in this house. One off shootings can be for many reasons, home invasion etc. It's a different society to here.

Thankfully they have their constitution and a heavy weight lobby to back up the responsible gun owners rights. Where as here all there is is a lobby too busy with infighting, a media driven political body, and a somewhat dodgy police force.

I would not consider what they have is responsible gun ownership rights. The fact and figure's of the slaughter and mayhen caused in the US by privately held guns speaks for itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

iam just about alive after the weekend in manchester at a stag.it was unreal craic pitty about the irl vrs england game but lord did we get locked any way.it will take me untill thursday to be right again.
    so many stories that will never be told in public.would def recommed it for any one thats single,we could not get over the amount of women that loved or accents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

There is a guy on Youtube, called "Wranglerstar" who posts regular videos. Very much in love with his guns, he made a video of a trip the family took to Sweden, and his greatest concern, and indeed of many watching, was, did he not feel insecure having to visit a foreign country unarmed. Some scared, and scary, people out there.

• Advertisement

Anyone any ideas what ground is making to take silage off it? It's nearby so handy from that point of view?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

O ya banning legally held firearms makes sense and the criminals get to keep theirs

Banning things always works out and has so since time began.
    I don't think so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

feartuath wrote: »
    O ya banning legally held firearms makes sense and the criminals get to keep theirs

That's a very American type agreement, like pudseys comment above on Americans saying "if only someone with a legally held firearm had been there to shoot the baddie" :)

responsible gun owners rights
    I would not consider what they have is responsible gun ownership rights. The fact and figure's of the slaughter and mayhen caused in the US by privately held guns speaks for itself.

Comparing apples & oranges.

As an individual I am more responsible than the law of the land here allows me to demonstrate. For example I am disallowed from demonstrating I am responsible enough to own a pistol for sporting purposes, not that I want to, but that's not the point. There are gun owners in my parish here I wouldn't personally allow a catapult, but the system allows them own guns. Including people with drug offenses.

In the US, there would be many disallowed from owning certain firearms, or indeed any firearms if some were to have their way. Those responsible owners would be discriminated against in my opinion thanks to the failures of the system to identify and address the issues which lead to people flying off the handle and going on a spree.

If we are to go down that road no one would be allowed to learn to fly. September 11 for example killed over 3,000 people yet people are still allowed learn fly airplanes :eek: Why not drive your car, or larger vehicle into some pedestrians, ban gas canisters because they can be improvised into explosives, or any number of other scenarios.

Banning the inanimate object is pointless, address the underlying issues to solve the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Can anyone tell me what the road from Portumna to Gort is like for a lorry. I would not be familiar with the area and have to get from Birr to Ennis and it seems to be the most direct route.
    Internet signal is crap at the min and I can't open Google maps or AA maps. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Base price wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the road from Portumna to Gort is like for a lorry. I would not be familiar with the area and have to get from Birr to Ennis and it seems to be the most direct route.
    Internet signal is crap at the min and I can't open Google maps or AA maps. Thanks.

go onto limerick and then up to Gort.
    good road to limerick, and then the M18 to gort, its on the galway rd. the motorway finishes around gort by the looks of the map.

if you got to Galway and then south, you have a national rd, the N18. portumna to the motorway is crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

whats wrong in the pic?!

Interesting article on land carbon banks(not sure if it's just for subscribers or not!).

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/farmer-writes-we-need-to-see-our-farms-as-a-carbon-bank-154926/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Hey Reggie, you're running in the 6.00 at Wolverhampton:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Hey Reggie, you're running in the 6.00 at Wolverhampton:D:D
    prob will win it as well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement