Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

sheebadog wrote: »
    Anyone interested in a holiday home in France ?

Perhaps.. depending on location.
    You can PM me details if you like..

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Is that a picture of the little cottage on that land you bought? :D lovely looking building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Muckit wrote: »
    Is that a picture of the little cottage on that land you bought? :D lovely looking building.

Lawn gone a bit strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Photo.

Jaysus that would be nice. What's it like inside? Good to go?

Jaysus that would be nice. What's it like inside? Good to go?

No, it's bare inside. Hasn't been lived in since '06 but structurally perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Photo.

Christ on a bike, I wouldn't mind a wee castle like that to live in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Is this for real sheebadog or are you taking the p1ss

naughto wrote: »
    Is this for real sheebadog or are you taking the p1ss

French think they are shyte without a moat.
    No p1ss take.

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Christ on a bike, I wouldn't mind a wee castle like that to live in.

Real Rapunzel type towers.

Had to take down photo.
    17 pm's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Had to take down photo.
    17 pm's.

I was wondering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Had to take down photo.
    17 pm's.

No money in farming....;-)

5live wrote: »
    No money in farming....;-)

Long story. Can buy with or without.
    Problem is I need 100sq metres of the rear entrance to have access to the side of the farm that I would be coming from.
    Without that access it's 4.2km extra driving.
    Houses like that aren't worth what most people think. About the same price as a "monster" machine driven by a 16 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Problem is I need 100sq metres of the rear entrance to have access to the side of the farm that I would be coming from.
    Houses like that aren't worth what most people think. About the same price as a "monster" machine driven by a 16 year old.

Sure I was only pulling your leg:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

1 winner of the lotto, worth over 12 million, winning ticket sold in the north west

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

whelan2 wrote: »
    1 winner of the lotto, worth over 12 million, winning ticket sold in the north west

Not me! If it was I might be pm'ing Sheeba because that holiday home sounds interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

what size farm is with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Had to take down photo.
    17 pm's.

Put it up on adverts.ie and post a link to it.

Good luck, I'm off to France to buy the castle:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Sold a incalf heifer again this evening 2 year old BBx Fr dam x FL25 lim , calving Dec26th 14 - E1500.. Fine heifer tho

Bought in 3 last spring E580 , E640 and E850 got 4k for the three.. It's nice for a spring calving beef suckler man to get money this time of year

• Advertisement

Good luck, I'm off to France to buy the castle:D:D

You bloody wish missus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Bodacious wrote: »
    Sold a incalf heifer again this evening 2 year old BBx Fr dam x FL25 lim , calving Dec26th 14 - E1500.. Fine heifer tho

Bought in 3 last spring E580 , E640 and E850 got 4k for the three.. It's nice for a spring calving beef suckler man to get money this time of year

Well done.
    Didn't think late springers would sell that well this time of year, must be a few lads extending next year too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Farrell wrote: »
    Well done.
    Didn't think late springers would sell that well this time of year, must be a few lads extending next year too

Great demand for them, first fella in the gate said he was looking for 4 anyway ! I could probably get more for them October time but I will be selling my weanlings then and would utilise the £ better this time of year .. I didn't do too bad and they were out wintered on hill and 4 ones I bred are kept 3 scanned in calf 1 white char hadn't been bulled but he still with them.. 24months she is and is imagine she should be bulling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Just got a second non paying job in my favourite organisation :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

IRA???

:eek:

IRA???

:eek:

Must be one of them exploding hot potatoes you handed me.

Close..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Congrats ! I thought you were fed up of the first job ? Anyhow what title have you now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

moy83 wrote: »
    Congrats ! I thought you were fed up of the first job ? Anyhow what title have you now ?

Supreme leader of the mountain West division

He would definitely have the minerals for that job , I'd love to see Con rising up in the IFA . We know he isnt afraid of hard work and wont stop trying to get the job done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Bodacious wrote: »

Really surprised at the money to be made at this crack. I was talking to a neighbour recently and he sold calved heifers there in early may and made serious money on them. He bought them handy enough too last autumn.

Really surprised at the money to be made at this crack. I was talking to a neighbour recently and he sold calved heifers there in early may and made serious money on them. He bought them handy enough too last autumn.

Its all about selling at the right time I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Was in some state last night. Got sick and had an unreal pain in my stomach and didn't know why.
    Dawned in me thus morning when I was milking.
    That tank at back of parlour was full and when its full it comes back in through sump and floods the pit and I never got the chance to take a load out so what I normally do is turn on the sump pump and pump it out into the tank for the milking.
    Never happened before but it was churning up the tank and almost agitating it. Was an awfull smelkof gas this morning in the parlour even though it wasn't that strong

calf that was positive on bvd test came back positive on retest , mother was negative, we have no adjoining cattle here, how could the calf be positive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

sorry to see on back page of journal one of the previous presenters of ear to the ground passed away, young man with family. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 kake

calf that was positive on bvd test came back positive on retest , mother was negative, we have no adjoining cattle here, how could the calf be positive?

It could be transferred by your vet's hands or clothing, your kids or you coming in contact with a PI, a contaminated meal bucket or bag, a dog or a cat coming in contact with a PI and carrying it on their hair.

• Advertisement

He would definitely have the minerals for that job , I'd love to see Con rising up in the IFA . We know he isnt afraid of hard work and wont stop trying to get the job done

New title is Regional Secretary. Bigger counties can have groups of branches that have similar issues. South Galway have one for flooding I think. Ours is for Connemara but includes branches outside that normally recognised geographical area, I think there's 8 branches from Rahoon out.

Designations and political decisions are the two biggest problems for me.

Events took an interesting turn a while back and that's the only reason I stayed in. If they hadn't I'd be gone at the end of the year at the local AGM. What will come out of the next period of time we'll have to see.

Still prefer to move out than up TBH. It's very frustrating.

Hah, I'm only cannon fodder, there's worse than me :p

Tis not only the West either ;)

http://www.ifa.ie/hill-farmers-frustrated-at-spin-by-minister-coveney-on-commonage-stocking-levels/#.U5BNBfnSErI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Was mother AI ed or natural bull

Genuine question.

dzer2 wrote: »
    Was mother AI ed or natural bull

Genuine question.
    br/fr stock bull who is gone now, she would have been scanned after by ai man as where about 100 animals that day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

New title is Regional Secretary. Bigger counties can have groups of branches that have similar issues. South Galway have one for flooding I think. Ours is for Connemara but includes branches outside that normally recognised geographical area, I think there's 8 branches from Rahoon out.

Designations and political decisions are the two biggest problems for me.

Events took an interesting turn a while back and that's the only reason I stayed in. If they hadn't I'd be gone at the end of the year at the local AGM. What will come out of the next period of time we'll have to see.

Still prefer to move out than up TBH. It's very frustrating.

Hah, I'm only cannon fodder, there's worse than me :p

Tis not only the West either ;)

http://www.ifa.ie/hill-farmers-frustrated-at-spin-by-minister-coveney-on-commonage-stocking-levels/#.U5BNBfnSErI

Congrats,!!!!! will that entitle you to attend the National Hill Committee meetings

rangler1 wrote: »
    Congrats,!!!!! will that entitle you to attend the National Hill Committee meetings

Or more to the point cause havoc at..... :D

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    Its all about selling at the right time I think

That and buying at the right time/price. You can buy dear and be a long time waiting for the price to come up again, time is money.
    rangler1 wrote: »

Thanks, it's a brand new role. The previous regional chairman was a one man outfit. Now there's a secretary (me) and registrar added to the outfit. I don't believe it entitles me to attend NHC no, but we have two Hill reps local to this area anyway as well as good relations with the others so... Position is more to push the regional issues and not confined to Hill issues as there are areas of the region where they aren't as big an issue and that's fair enough.

Some of the things that came up were discrimination in GLAS, CFP, Political interference in payments, suckler industry, Greenway land issues, spread of wild rhubarb, Japanese knotweed and ragwort (mostly thanks to CoCo activities). There are other issues as well, but the first bite can only be so big and some issues are genuinely more time sensitive than others, which doesn't demote the importance of any other issue.
    Reggie. wrote: »
    Or more to the point cause havoc at..... :D

I can do that anywhere :cool:

Got a puncture on a trailer this morning that I only noticed after I loaded a boat onto it. I phoned up a lad (lets call him Joe) close to where I was at a lake, to see if he had a portable air compressor I could collect as I was driving back home to get ours and he was on the way.

So Joe answered anyway and I rattled off the story and asked if he had a compressor and explained that I would be driving by his yard and if I could borrow it. He was naturally a bit confused as I wouldn't normally be down that way at all, especially with a trailer. But anyway, after a couple of mins more chat about why I was there and what had happened, it dawned on me that he sounded a little different than usual so I looked at the phone screen.
    I was only after ringing the parish priest who was also called 'Joe'
    :o:o:o

Made my apologies and hung up as quickly as I could. And went to collect our own compressor!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Got a puncture on a trailer this morning that I only noticed after I loaded a boat onto it. I phoned up a lad (lets call him Joe) close to where I was at a lake, to see if he had a portable air compressor I could collect as I was driving back home to get ours and he was on the way.

So Joe answered anyway and I rattled off the story and asked if he had a compressor and explained that I would be driving by his yard and if I could borrow it. He was naturally a bit confused as I wouldn't normally be down that way at all, especially with a trailer. But anyway, after a couple of mins more chat about why I was there and what had happened, it dawned on me that he sounded a little different than usual so I looked at the phone screen.

Made my apologies and hung up as quickly as I could. And went to collect our own compressor!!

I suppose the big question here is why you have Joe the PP on speed dial ?

_Brian wrote: »
    I suppose the big question here is why you have Joe the PP on speed dial ?

Never know when you might need a shotgun wedding:D

Never know when you might need a shotgun wedding:D

Who would be holding the shotgun. You or the father :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

There's a joke in there but I don't want to get banned:)

, I think there's 8 branches from Rahoon out.

I didnt know there was a branch in rahoon . Are there many in it do you know ?

I didnt know there was a branch in rahoon . Are there many in it do you know ?

Rahoon-Bearna is the right name, wouldn't know how many members are in it to tbh. There's a branch in your own village too. I have phone numbers if you want to contact either branch chairman.

Rahoon-Bearna is the right name, wouldn't know how many members are in it to tbh. There's a branch in your own village too. I have phone numbers if you want to contact either branch chairman.

Rahoon/Bushypark would be my real village and I never knew there was an IFA there . I know the crowd in the moycullen one since I used go to the meetings there and I couldnt listen to them spouting for long :D I might go to one in rahoon for the craic though

Was there a template of a farm safety statement up here awhile ago ? The insurance co. want one for their renewal ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement