Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

.Kovu. wrote: »
    I was only after ringing the parish priest who was also called 'Joe'
    :o:o:o

Made my apologies and hung up as quickly as I could. And went to collect our own compressor!!

Those parish priests are full of hot air. ...you could have just got him to blow into the valve!!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭rliston

moy83 wrote: »
    Was there a template of a farm safety statement up here awhile ago ? The insurance co. want one for their renewal ?

http://farmsafely.com/farmers/00_login.htm

Here's the link for doing it online. You can print it out after you've it filled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

dropped my phone in the silage juice this morning:mad: its turning on but not alot else happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

whelan2 wrote: »
    dropped my phone in the silage juice this morning:mad: its turning on but not alot else happening

Put it into a bag of rice, although silage 'juice' may not be as easy to manage as water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Between you and the oh ye should get sun fantastic deals in the local phone shop. Lol
    The days of the 3210 and the 3310 we never had these problems!

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Put it into a bag of rice, although silage 'juice' may not be as easy to manage as water.
    normally i would put it on the aga but youngest lad fecking turned off the oil tap going to the cooker last night....:mad::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

normally i would put it on the aga but youngest lad fecking turned off the oil tap going to the cooker last night....:mad::(

ON THE AGA :eek:

Reminds me need to get a new one though, mine is acting up and won't accept 50% or so of incoming calls for whatever reason.

Anyone any reason as to why a calf here is raiding and not fully sucking his dam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

DON'T BE TRYING TO SWITCH IT ON!

Remove the battery immediately.

It may be too late by now, but sending current through dirty/contaminated electrical components is likely to do irreparable damage.

Rinsing it through with Isopropyl alcohol and letting it dry off thoroughly should remove the dirt or contamination safely, without leaving residues.
    It MAY be enough to save it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

There's a joke in there but I don't want to get banned:)

Parish Pump politics ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Rovi wrote: »
    DON'T BE TRYING TO SWITCH IT ON!

Remove the battery immediately.

It may be too late by now, but sending current through dirty/contaminated electrical components is likely to do irreparable damage.

Rinsing it through with Isopropyl alcohol and letting it dry off thoroughly should remove the dirt or contamination safely, without leaving residues.
    It MAY be enough to save it.

Best if the Isopropyl Alcohol is 100%, and I'm not sure where your average punter will get this concentration..
    Most commonly its sold as a diluted product with DI water @ 50% and the water element will render it useless for cleaning out a phone.

Its extremely flammable so be careful, the flashpoint is below 80C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

_Brian wrote: »
    Best if the Isopropyl Alcohol is 100%, and I'm not sure where your average punter will get this concentration..
    Most commonly its sold as a diluted product with DI water @ 50% and the water element will render it useless for cleaning out a phone.

You can get it as a product for cleaning laser lenses, but I can't tell you whether that'd diluted product or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I have it in a 1 Litre can, but it's available in a handy aerosol too:
    http://ie.farnell.com/ambersil/6130011000/ambersil-ipa-400ml/dp/1439247

It SHOULD be available in places like 'proper' computer/electronics shops, office supply places, printer refill shops, etc.

my phone is working:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

_Brian wrote: »

I use that IPA alcohol in work, right stuff to wake ya up in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

my phone is working:D

That's the phone shop down a bit of commission

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

You can get Isopropyl Alcohol in some pharmacy's older shops are often best for things like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I got kicked earlier on my wrist when I was feeding meal to the weanlings. Little fecker of a whitehead bull :(
    I put it into a bucket of cold water and ice to reduce the swelling. Don't think anything is broken.
    Sprayed it with Painfreeze and strapped it up.
    Methinks a glass of wine just might help to sooth the pain ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

I seen a guy recently on my travels who had an attachment on to the back of the tractor that would lift 1/2 tonne bags into the manure shaker. (it fitted in behind the manure shaker) Never seen one before.
    Anyone known what they are called and how much they are. Could not find on donedeal etc Tks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    I seen a guy recently on my travels who had an attachment on to the back of the tractor that would lift 1/2 tonne bags into the manure shaker. (it fitted in behind the manure shaker) Never seen one before.
    Anyone known what they are called and how much they are. Could not find on donedeal etc Tks.

like this
    http://rossmoreeng.ie/index.php/farming-equipment/hoists/fertiliser-hoist/

Base price wrote: »
    I got kicked earlier on my wrist when I was feeding meal to the weanlings. Little fecker of a whitehead bull :(
    I put it into a bucket of cold water and ice to reduce the swelling. Don't think anything is broken.
    i think you might be allowed 2 glasses of wine tonight for medicinal puposes, hope its ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

rangler1 wrote: »

That's it Rangler. Cheers.
    Anyone any idea what they cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Anyone been to legoland in Windsor,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I think the wife brought the oldest lad there a few years ago and found it alright . We went to oakwood park last year and they loved it . Its not far from Fishguard , if you're driving across its well worth spendind awhile of a day in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

If you are bringing a car with small ones Irish ferries do a deal to Alton towers and drayton manor is not far from there if you have small ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    That's it Rangler. Cheers.
    Anyone any idea what they cost?
    From E2100 to E2600 new. Rossmore and Cashels do them. You will probably need the one with the valve chest, depending on how many spool values you have on the tractor and are using hydraulic shut off on the spreader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

hows the hand?

hows the hand?
    Still sore and black/blue. Find it difficult to change gear driving but the 2 ;) glasses of wine helped me sleep last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

5live wrote: »
    From E2100 to E2600 new. Rossmore and Cashels do them. You will probably need the one with the valve chest, depending on how many spool values you have on the tractor and are using hydraulic shut off on the spreader.

Jaysus thats mad money, ye'd be as well off to buy a second hand loader no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Damo810 wrote: »
    Jaysus thats mad money, ye'd be as well off to buy a second hand loader no?

Probably. Also if you have a 1t spreader it only lifts to the middle of the spreader so it gets a bit tricky swinging bags back and forth to empty the second bag out fully.

But for spreading in an out farm on your own its very handy. Only one man needed and no second tractor needed to lift the bags and having to be brought home again when finished.

• Advertisement

Youngest asked could we have a barbecue this evening and would it be ok to ask a few friends. No problem I said.
    Latest count is twelve 18/19 year olds :eek:
    I need the big barbecue to cook for that many and when I went into the shed to dig it out, I discovered a wren was nesting in it :P
    She has 5 eggs in the nest.
    Youngest is now on his way to grannies house to borrow her barbie which is a gas one so not quite the same experience.

Youngest asked could we have a barbecue this evening and would it be ok to ask a few friends. No problem I said.
    Latest count is twelve 18/19 year olds :eek:
    I need the big barbecue to cook for that many and when I went into the shed to dig it out, I discovered a wren was nesting in it :P
    She has 5 eggs in the nest.
    Youngest is now on his way to grannies house to borrow her barbie which is a gas one so not quite the same experience.

Pesky birds :D

Bloody fed up. Thought my new toy was coming today but the seller didn't get a chance to load it today. Being hearing excuses since Wednesday. Bloody frustrating :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Reggie. wrote: »
    Bloody fed up. Thought my new toy was coming today but the seller didn't get a chance to load it today. Being hearing excuses since Wednesday. Bloody frustrating :(

What ye getting? Think how I was for 6 weeks?

What ye getting? Think how I was for 6 weeks?

Its second hand but I bought a fella 4.26m single rotor rake.

Good job. What way do they work? Do ye have to travel up one side and them up the other to make a swarth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Will the square baler handle rows from it ?

I know someone who could transport it for u

moy83 wrote: »
    Will the square baler handle rows from it ?

Depends on the crop. If heavy it may rake up too much. Only time will tell

• Advertisement

I know someone who could transport it for u

Never thought of him. It's bloody stuck in a transport company's warehouse.

Good job. What way do they work? Do ye have to travel up one side and them up the other to make a swarth

Yeah or you can keep going around the same way to make the swaths bigger.most Double rakes max out at 30ft but the single ones keep gathering till your happy. Takes longer tho

Never thought of him. It's bloody stuck in a transport company's warehouse.

Would ye mind pm.infmg me where ye got it Reggie. Want to get something that will rake up 15 ft swards for the baler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Thoughts with that poor child in the north he's father is critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

I said wrote: »

And at the same time I see a picture of one of the 'grassmen' down in a tank looking for a phone on facebook. how many young lads see that and think it'll all be fine, even though we've lost too many to tank deaths already..

Yeah or you can keep going around the same way to make the swaths bigger.most Double rakes max out at 30ft but the single ones keep gathering till your happy. Takes longer tho
    I remember raking rows of rushes into one with a vicon wheeled rake so they could be pushed up with the transport box or land leveller. Same principle as your (not yet delivered) rake, although the vicon was inclined to wind grass/rushes into a rope.
    I reckon that it is still the best bit of kit for cleaning up after topping weedy ground.

• Advertisement

Would ye mind pm.infmg me where ye got it Reggie. Want to get something that will rake up 15 ft swards for the baler

It was a donedeal job green. Be careful tho if going down that route as the parts for rakes are bloody expensive

It was a donedeal job green. Be careful tho if going down that route as the parts for rakes are bloody expensive

If I do go buy one I'll bring the friend him and the father have a massive 4 rotor on and know a good bit about them

If I do go buy one I'll bring the friend him and the father have a massive 4 rotor on and know a good bit about them
    That's the style. Went too look at one re that had a damaged gear. Lad told me no more than 300e to fix. Did a little checking and the gear assembly has to be bought as a unit at about 1000e. We guessed he ran it without a slip clutch on the pto shaft and destroyed the gear off a heavy swarth so I walked away.
    Glad now as happy with my purchase. Strangely I was warned off class rakes. The arms are too easily broke apparently. Told kuhn, fella, taar up are better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Depends on the crop. If heavy it may rake up too much. Only time will tell

Best of luck with it! What make of baler is it you have?
    Have used a single rotor before in front of a welger ap61 and it absolutely loved it :) spat out very very good even bales after it, we've done both single and twin rows depending on the crop, it sore as hell beats racing up after the little haybob in light crops trying to keep pickup full to keep bales consistent,

just drop down the gears and let it take it at its own pace :) we wont be going back to the haybob infront of it anyways!

I said wrote: »
    TOTAL NIGHTMARE, god love them

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement