Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Zr105 wrote: »
    Best of luck with it! What make of baler is it you have?
    Have used a single rotor before in front of a welger ap61 and it absolutely loved it :) spat out very very good even bales after it, we've done both single and twin rows depending on the crop, it sore as hell beats racing up after the little haybob in light crops trying to keep pickup full to keep bales consistent,

just drop down the gears and let it take it at its own pace :) we wont be going back to the haybob infront of it anyways!

I've a new holland 276 (upgraded:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Best of luck with it! What make of baler is it you have?
    Have used a single rotor before in front of a welger ap61 and it absolutely loved it :) spat out very very good even bales after it, we've done both single and twin rows depending on the crop, it sore as hell beats racing up after the little haybob in light crops trying to keep pickup full to keep bales consistent,

just drop down the gears and let it take it at its own pace :) we wont be going back to the haybob infront of it anyways!

I didn't slove my problem after with the uneven swards. Just as bad.
    Father thinks I'll make ****e swards if I get a rake? I don't think it will?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Reggie. wrote: »
    I've a new holland 276 (upgraded:D)

Id say she'll be for for it, just take her handy :D id say your biggest thing might be keeping swarth tight enough for pick up!
    After you get the first swarth away from the ditch if you throw the swarth out the way you dont have to even take the full width of the rake so can leave it lighter for it, the best thing about it is that you have more room between the swarths for the tractor pulling baler!

Id say she'll be for for it, just take her handy :D id say your biggest thing might be keeping swarth tight enough for pick up!
    After you get the first swarth away from the ditch if you throw the swarth out the way you dont have to even take the full width of the rake so can leave it lighter for it, the best thing about it is that you have more room between the swarths for the tractor pulling baler!

Dead right about the width. You could always leave the curtain closer to the tines to leave the swarth tight for the pick up

I didn't slove my problem after with the uneven swards. Just as bad.
    Father thinks I'll make ****e swards if I get a rake? I don't think it will?

Aye? Thats a strange one, cant think of anything else now, and it's not just that one side of swarth is being trampled down more than other by tractor mowing? We had that problem with the 600's on back of tractor but we widen out the wheel track and she seems better now.
    The rake to be honest will depend on how well it's piloted to be honest, and thats not trying to put anyone down but it needs to be done right, rotor speed and ground speed are very important and can vary a little in different crops.
    it'll also depend how much you want to put together, have found throwing one swarth on top of the other isn't wonderful as it will only really leave it along one edge so the bales will be lob sided, we'd normally have shook out before the baler so just raking up off the flat, or else throwing 30's together as it would normally be lighter cuts with silage and the lads baler loves grass :D

Dead right about the width. You could always leave the curtain closer to the tines to leave the swarth tight for the pick up

Aye thats what we would do but with a big crop you have to be careful enough doing that as it can make the rows very high and they get caught by the arms even when they've turned up horizontal, or even get caught in the curtain support arms,

Aye thats what we would do but with a big crop you have to be careful enough doing that as it can make the rows very high and they get caught by the arms even when they've turned up horizontal, or even get caught in the curtain support arms,

Duly noted

What rake do you run

What rake do you run

Untill this year it's been contractors krone 4.6meter. Got a Kuhn 4.2m ourselves this year as we are doing a fair bit and generally ended up having to go up to pick up contractors rake which was taking up a lot of time...(id advise not barreling down the road at 40k with rakes, I've seen a fair few broke up and cracked because of it) I've driven for him for a couple of years so he doesn't mind us running his gear

Aye? Thats a strange one, cant think of anything else now, and it's not just that one side of swarth is being trampled down more than other by tractor mowing? We had that problem with the 600's on back of tractor but we widen out the wheel track and she seems better now.
    The rake to be honest will depend on how well it's piloted to be honest, and thats not trying to put anyone down but it needs to be done right, rotor speed and ground speed are very important and can vary a little in different crops.
    it'll also depend how much you want to put together, have found throwing one swarth on top of the other isn't wonderful as it will only really leave it along one edge so the bales will be lob sided, we'd normally have shook out before the baler so just raking up off the flat, or else throwing 30's together as it would normally be lighter cuts with silage and the lads baler loves grass :D
    What were doing at the minute is mowing down and leaving in rows. Balescare dry but could be drier. So my idea was When mowing it down open the boards out till last. Then next day rake it up and then bale it the following day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

What were doing at the minute is mowing down and leaving in rows. Balescare dry but could be drier. So my idea was When mowing it down open the boards out till last. Then next day rake it up and then bale it the following day.

Rake just before baler,you can open boards out as wide as u want but it still won't compare to tedded out grass..get it as dry as possible and less to bale and stack

Thats what we'd do with paddocks alright, the only thing is results can vary depending on year. What i mean is in a year like this it wont help much unless your going to ted it, if its lying flat on top of wet ground it wont dry much, a neighbour was saying the other day he reckoned it was better not to spread with mower if your going to ted it, his thinking (and id agree in a year like this) is that now it I'm swarth, ground between will dry out and wind will blow through swarths, then when ted half will be on dry ground.

However in a dry year id be all for throwing swarth board in the ditch and get the sun baking it!

Untill this year it's been contractors krone 4.6meter. Got a Kuhn 4.2m ourselves this year as we are doing a fair bit and generally ended up having to go up to pick up contractors rake which was taking up a lot of time...(id advise not barreling down the road at 40k with rakes, I've seen a fair few broke up and cracked because of it) I've driven for him for a couple of years so he doesn't mind us running his gear
    One good slap would be the end of them I reckon

One good slap would be the end of them I reckon

Yeah you'll find they crack around the pivot just behind the head stock. It's hardly surprising tho, most are up over 700kg and 90% of this weight is hanging at least 2m back from the linkage and in all fairness the frames aren't that heavy...

Oh and one other word of warning make sure the rake isn't slapping off the ground when your dropping it, it'll bugger up the bogie axles in no length!

Yeah you'll find they crack around the pivot just behind the head stock. It's hardly surprising tho, most are up over 700kg and 90% of this weight is hanging at least 2m back from the linkage and in all fairness the frames aren't that heavy...

Oh and one other word of warning make sure the rake isn't slapping off the ground when your dropping it, it'll bugger up the bogie axles in no length!

Excellent stuff. Mine weighs about 500kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Had a lovely evening cooking on the barbecue and the weather held up :)
    Eldest son arrived unexpectedly which was a nice surprise :D
    They all headed away on a mini bus to some disco thingie :cool:
    I pulled out quilts, sleeping bags and duvets from the hot press for them when they eventually get home.
    Unfortunately my wrist is really sore, probably due to all the cooking that I did on the barbie.
    Think I need a third glass of wine tonight - medicinal purposes only ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Base price wrote: »
    I pulled out quilts, sleeping bags and duvets from the hot press for them when they eventually get home.
    Unfortunately my wrist is really sore, probably due to all the cooking that I did on the barbie.

That's the third glass tonight not counting last night.
    I've had my 3 glasses tonight and the bottles empty. Jamie is going down well though before bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Just fell in the door home with it getting bright n all out
    fairly epic night on the tiles in coppers of all places ha. Milking in 3hrstime, won't be fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Timmaay wrote: »
    Milking in 3hrstime, won't be fun!

For you or the cows or both :pac:

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    Just fell in the door home with it getting bright n all out
    fairly epic night on the tiles in coppers of all places ha. Milking in 3hrstime, won't be fun!

The milking in 3 hrs will be fine. It's the one in 15 hrs when the hangover has kicked in you've to worry about.

The milking in 3 hrs will be fine. It's the one in 15 hrs when the hangover has kicked in you've to worry about.

:D id love to be a fly on the wall for that one

Bit of pillow talk with the wife this morning about the baby. Rising her about when she starts bringing home the "boyfriends". Apparently any future husband has to be very nice and have loads of money before he gets the missus stamp of approval. That's most of the farmers out of the equation so :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Bit of pillow talk with the wife this morning about the baby. Rising her about when she starts bringing home the "boyfriends". Apparently any future husband has to be very nice and have loads of money before he gets the missus stamp of approval. That's most of the farmers out of the equation so :rolleyes::D

Could be a different story when the time comes.
    The night he stays over first, it'll be you not sleeping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Farrell wrote: »

Haha thats what I was thinking , the rise will be on Reggie when that day comes alright :D

Its all about letting him see the rifle and the strategicly placed squeaky floor board :D. Oh and the dogs bed will be outside the bedroom door too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Its all about letting him see the rifle and the strategicly placed squeaky floor board :D. Oh and the dogs bed will be outside the bedroom door too :D

Watched too much Meet the fockers:D:D

dzer2 wrote: »
    Watched too much Meet the fockers:D:D

Never seen it. May watch it now for study purposes :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Base price wrote: »

We had the worst thunder and lightning yesterday that I have ever seen in my 33 an half yrs.fork lighting all over the place it was in unreL.just
    Having the fry now then off to the mayo vrs rossies game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

This could work...

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    This could work...

Guns don't kill people.....Fathers with pretty daughters kill people :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Apparently your parents-in-law said the same when your wife was a baby.

And look what happened:D:D

10yrs to the day since the cows arrived here on the farm.
    Nice to look back and see the changes in the the yrs in the land. Hopefully by yr 20 I'll be where I want with the place :)

Apparently your parents-in-law said the same when your wife was a baby.

And look what happened:D:D

LOL....Hey that's their own fault :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Cattle moved and dosed, ate the dinner and get out the strimmer then

See mayo back in final, was the game good?
    Any word on other games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

See mayo back in final, was the game good?
    Any word on other games?
    louth where hammered -again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Good man simx. Fair play. What dose you use? Inject, pour on or oral drench?

I see they are recommending now to leave cattle on same ground for few days before moving. But that's not really practical. People usually dose before moving to an outfarm.

whelan2 wrote: »
    louth where hammered -again
    Any word on Cavan Armagh
    Oh come on Laois, sadly don't give them much hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Muckit wrote: »

I see they are recommending now to leave cattle on same ground for few days before moving. But that's not really practical. People usually dose before moving to an outfarm.

used curafluke there today, find its a good aul dose, i moved them after dosing to a fresh bit anyway

simx wrote: »
    used curafluke there today, find its a good aul dose, i moved them after dosing to a fresh bit anyway
    We do same, find it easier than put back & then move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Any word on Cavan Armagh
    Oh come on Laois, sadly don't give them much hope

Think the Cavan Armagh game kicks off at 4pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Armagh 4, Cavan 2

Ah Sunday evenings :D

Muckit wrote: »

Think the idea there might be that when they shed the worms/fluke they don't put it on new pasture and pick it back up again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Think the idea there might be that when they shed the worms/fluke they don't put it on new pasture and pick it back up again

Ya but then wouldn't you think they'd be dead if the wormer did it's job?

Ah Sunday evenings :D

Not so nice for my two drowned rats , I dont even think they know its raining !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

moy83 wrote: »

Is it raining with you? I've been out spraying all afternoon, didn't give any heed to the forecast as they had it wrong the last day too.

I think the idea might be that they pick up worms and have a low worm burden going to fresh pasture to help develop a natural resistance to worms.

Is it raining with you? I've been out spraying all afternoon, didn't give any heed to the forecast as they had it wrong the last day too.

Yup I'd say we got half an inch in the last couple of hours :mad: The last day when you said it was dark and showery back your neck of the woods we were getting a smashing day . Some difference

• Advertisement

moy83 wrote: »

Would ya not show them some love and not let them in before it rained

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement