Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

moy83 wrote: »
    Yup I'd say we got half an inch in the last couple of hours :mad: The last day when you said it was dark and showery back your neck of the woods we were getting a smashing day . Some difference

Yeah, often noticed an invisible line between Oughterard and Maam Cross where one side can be having a great day and the other side...... not so great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Showers on and off in morning. Then thunder and heavy shower. Then afternoon very nice. However, just after thunder and lightning and two downpours.

Booked the ferry to France during last drenching................:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Booked the ferry to France during last drenching................:)

Is it not a bit drastic to emigrate because of a shower of rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Its the shower in the dail that drives most out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Not one bit. Thunder and Lightning and downpours, and the fertilizer out 6 weeks today. I knew I was tempting fate by draping the plastic on the pit walls yesterday. If the summer turns out bad, I'll keep driving south till I get weather that agrees with me! (or until the school contacts the Gardaí)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Reggie. wrote: »
    Would ya not show them some love and not let them in before it rained

They wouldnt stay inside for five minutes and they would be overheating . We had a newfoundland before that lad and he slept in the lawn during that hard frost we got a few years ago , wouldn't even go in turf shed .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

They wouldnt stay inside for five minutes and they would be overheating . We had a newfoundland before that lad and he slept in the lawn during that hard frost we got a few years ago , wouldn't even go in turf shed .

As thick a neck as his owner I bet :D

Reggie. wrote: »
    As thick a neck as his owner I bet :D

Ah I only come across that way online . Im lovely in real life !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

What sort of money should ya charge for topping per acre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Not one bit. Thunder and Lightning and downpours, and the fertilizer out 6 weeks today. I knew I was tempting fate by draping the plastic on the pit walls yesterday. If the summer turns out bad, I'll keep driving south till I get weather that agrees with me! (or until the school contacts the Gardaí)

Just sitting in south of france at the moment after polishing off a bottle of red wine, cracking weather, 30 degrees and the locals are flat out at hay, seen an unreal number of tedders on the go since I arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

C0N0R wrote: »
    Just sitting in south of france at the moment after polishing off a bottle of red wine, cracking weather, 30 degrees and the locals are flat out at hay, seen an unreal number of tedders on the go since I arrived.
    :rolleyes::mad:;):cool::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

working with my dad for the last two and a half hours. after bringing in most of the bullocks and sorting out the one's fit for the factory in the next week or two. Dosed the rest aturnrd back out to grass. Have 22 lined up for the hook
    Got a savage kick from one of the fookers for the hook. Caught me just above the knee and threw me back against the wall. ....... the old lad says "what were ya doing so close to them"........ I give up

working with my dad for the last two and a half hours. after bringing in most of the bullocks and sorting out the one's fit for the factory in the next week or two. Dosed the rest aturnrd back out to grass. Have 22 lined up for the hook
    Got a savage kick from one of the fookers for the hook. Caught me just above the knee and threw me back against the wall. ....... the old lad says "what were ya doing so close to them"........ I give up

Loads of sympathy there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

What would you be hoping to get per kg for bullocks?...factories up this end meant to pulling prices again this week!...get some ice on the leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

We are waiting for prices back from 2 haulage lads. I'll be able to tell you Tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

I remember milking with my dad when I was about 12, I foolishly stuck my head in under the rump rail to pick something up and got a kick square on the nose, with tears etc flowing I looked to my dad for sympathy, to which his answer was "u won't put ur head in there again"!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Dupont wrote: »
    What sort of money should ya charge for topping per acre

Charge it per hour, by the acre will break you as you'll be sent into all the poxy little half acres that take more time getting in through the crooked 10ft gate than it will to top the bloody thing

I wondered earlier was it a Newfoundland when i spotted the at Bernard behind looking small :p id love to have one! they look to be such a nice dog, bloody massive though!

Zr105 wrote: »
    I wondered earlier was it a Newfoundland when i spotted the at Bernard behind looking small :p id love to have one! they look to be such a nice dog, bloody massive though!

Id recommend them to anyone so long as you can give them the exercise . Really placid loving dog .

We just had a few kittens here now if anyone is looking for one

Id recommend them to anyone so long as you can give them the exercise . Really placid loving dog .

We just had a few kittens here now if anyone is looking for one

Id say they need a fair bit of maintainance on their coats to?

Id love to have a Newfie, husky and German Shepard here but there's 3 collies already so id be shot for bringin another about the place :D:D that and the mother hates German shepards

• Advertisement

Zr105 wrote: »
    Id say they need a fair bit of maintainance on their coats to?

Id love to have a Newfie, husky and German Shepard here but there's 3 collies already so id be shot for bringin another about the place :D:D that and the mother hates German shepards

Ya they have a double coat so they feel the heat this time of year . We should have him clipped by now but only do that once a year and if it gets tangled we send him off the get groomed . But he is fairly clean anyhow himself and a girl down the road could sit for hours brushing them so I dont have alot to do with regards maintenance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

I have pink eye in one of my eyes the last few days. It's definitely one of the worst things I ever got. I'll feel sorry for the next cow I see with it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I have pink eye in one of my eyes the last few days. It's definitely one of the worst things I ever got. I'll feel sorry for the next cow I see with it now.

Tis a horrible dose, especially if you have long eyelashes. I used to wear the monthly day & night contacts and they were terrible for starting it off if dust got under them.

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Tis a horrible dose, especially if you have long eyelashes. I used to wear the monthly day & night contacts and they were terrible for starting it off if dust got under them.

Unfortunately I have eyelashes like a cammel ha, I'm vertically blind for the first few hours of the day.

Unfortunately I have eyelashes like a cammel ha, I'm vertically blind for the first few hours of the day.

Ouch. Not nice. You'll have most of them pulled out in a few days!! I always found the eyemasks that have the gel in them which you leave in the fridge for a few hours good to help me. However they may be a little feminine for your liking!:D:pac:

Ouch. Not nice. You'll have most of them pulled out in a few days!! I always found the eyemasks that have the gel in them which you leave in the fridge for a few hours good to help me. However they may be a little feminine for your liking!:D:pac:

I'll skip that one for another while ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Bad morning here. Cattle broke out into neighbour garden and lost effin wallet in town. Cancelled cards but 50 odd euro I'll never see again:mad:

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Bad morning here. Cattle broke out into neighbour garden and lost effin wallet in town. Cancelled cards but 50 odd euro I'll never see again:mad:

That's one of those mornings that you'd be better off go back to bed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

That's one of those mornings that you'd be better off go back to bed!

I was actually in town having a blood test etc. and my Doctor recommended I get a few hours kip after my lunch to clear the head. I'm going to follow that advice ASAP!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭mayota

In hospital with daughter. Rushed by ambulance Saturday evening. Convulsions and unresponsive due to high temp. Not fully sure of cause yet but she's nearly back to normal. Prob caused by a virus. Nearly lost her in ambulance. I never felt fear and worry like it. She's nearly 2. I suppose I'll spoil her a bit more than usual when she's home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

mayota wrote: »
    In hospital with daughter. Rushed by ambulance Saturday evening. Convulsions and unresponsive due to high temp. Not fully sure of cause yet but she's nearly back to normal. Prob caused by a virus. Nearly lost her in ambulance. I never felt fear and worry like it. She's nearly 2. I suppose I'll spoil her a bit more than usual when she's home.
    that happened to our daughter at the same age, worst time ever. oh was driving behind the ambulance and they put the sirens on he thought she was dead:(. Keep a very close eye on any temperatures from now on. Hope she gets home soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Been down that road and it's not nice. Puts a fair perspective on things for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

What we really want to know is....who farted in your eye :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

that happened to my daughter to ,she was 7 months old ,scary time she was in and out of hospital up until she was 4 and I've her spoiled, she's 9 now and everything ok thank god .

What we really want to know is....who farted in your eye :D

I thought that might cum up, but iv been very good since I came back to the mother land!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

I thought that might cum up, but iv been very good since I came back to the mother land!!

So it's an old war wound playing up then is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

stuff should come with a health warning

Someone has a sense of humour :rolleyes:

MAD as hell.. :mad:
    Feckiin Mags have figured out to take hens eggs !!

I'm off to borrow a Larsen Trap later... GRRRRRRRRrrrrr

_Brian wrote: »
    MAD as hell.. :mad:
    Feckiin Mags have figured out to take hens eggs !!

I'm off to borrow a Larsen Trap later... GRRRRRRRRrrrrr

Seen them at it? Had a few hens here before that would eat the egg themselves, particularly if they were low on something.

Tip I found with the larsen traps, bring a dog/cat down the first day you've caught your call bird and they will make a racket which draws the others in.

• Advertisement

Biros kept going missing from dairy , found the solution, i brought daughters one direction pen out and it has been there a month, no one will rob it:D

whelan2 wrote: »
    Biros kept going missing from dairy , found the solution, i brought daughters one direction pen out and it has been there a month, no one will rob it:D

Your daughter might!:D

Seen them at it? Had a few hens here before that would eat the egg themselves, particularly if they were low on something.

Tip I found with the larsen traps, bring a dog/cat down the first day you've caught your call bird and they will make a racket which draws the others in.

Havent seen them with the egg but theyve been in and out of the run more and more and found the shells out in the garden and straw pulled out the door of the coup.. I'll get rid of them first, nasty beggars !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I'd say your spot on with magpies. Beginning to see them hopping around the garden here last week or so. Hate the sight of them!!

Muckit wrote: »
    I'd say your spot on with magpies. Beginning to see them hopping around the garden here last week or so. Hate the sight of them!!
    had a duck sitting on eggs a few years ago and the fecking magpies took the eggs , was raging , they where near hatching out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Sure they'd try steal the eye out of your feckin head!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

whelan2 wrote: »

The two hardest places to keep biros are in the dairy and beside the house phone.

Luckily, I got rid of the house phone. But still write feck all down

Rik Mayall wasn't everybody's taste in comedy but I grew up sneaking to see episodes of The Young Ones, and Bottom was just great slapstick comedy with a dose of pure rudeness thrown in.. Young man to be just found dead.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzWYfIBkHHs

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Hope all is okay with your girl Mayota!

My own self has just returned from hospital with one very near miss by a lake wth a seizure.
    I always passed off my seizures as very hit & miss but dear god, if those lads near me weren't there today I'd be face down with my lifejacket.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement