Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Lightning blew the router yesterday evening.. Rang Eircom at half eight and logged the fault, she said someone would be out Friday, I asked was there anything she could do as we run a small on-line business so she said she would see what could be done..
    Engineer landed before ten thismorning and installed new Router..

In fairness Eircom get a bit of bashing but I thought it was great service..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I dunno. Not many stone walls in our end of Offaly :-)
    I'll have to take yer word for it. Is there an Irish term for these holes I wonder?

Pol san mballa :D? Sorry about my irish spelling and lack of fada's . Con might be able to do a spell check on it for me :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

moy83 wrote: »
    Style ?

A stile is what we'd call where we'd cross over a fence. Some fancy ones into woods etc would have timber steps

Muckit wrote: »
    A stile is what we'd call where we'd cross over a fence. Some fancy ones into woods etc would have timber steps

The fisheries have a few of them put in our place alright .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Lads, anyone know the holes you see built into stone walls. Like a creep gate! What are they called?
    heard them called wickets here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Thanks lads. Phones about to die. Then back to no internet land for a few more days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

To cut or not to cut, that is the question:confused:

Enjoy the break freedom,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

To cut or not to cut, that is the question:confused:

Enjoy the break freedom,

We cut 15 acres today. Cutting another 12 on Saturday I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

We cut 15 acres today. Cutting another 12 on Saturday I'd say

How the hell have you any grass left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Reggie. wrote: »
    How the hell have you any grass left

Acres in Wexford must be the size of a tennis court. .....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Ok darragh, one last time.

These fields we have here are small… but the ones out there in Wexford are far away. Small… far away…
    002-smallfaraway.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We have had a few problems with scours in weanlings on grass in the last week. First one I noticed was last Wed and there was a pull on him as well. Brought him in and his temp was 104. Phoned the vet and got an injection for him resiflor to deal with the pneumonia. Next day there was 2 others in the same batch and 2 others in another batch all with a smelly watery scour but they didn't have a pull or high themp.
    I took dung samples and vet tested for 5 of the nasties, e coli, rotavirus, crypto, coronavirus and another one. Negative to all.
    I brought the rest of the dung samples to a lab and got them tested for Cocci and stomach worms - negative to all.
    I put them back on the teat feeder on Friday with electrolytes one feed, then kaolin powder with sulphamathezine powder (N0.2) next feed electrolytes and natural yogurt for the last feed.
    They also got sulphamet injections for 4 days. They are slowly improving but still not right. They have hay ad-lib and today I am slowly introducing nuts back to their diet.
    Has anyone had similar problems.
    They are all bought in stock as calves (from 10 days to 2 weeks old) and reared here. They would all be 3+ months old. Dosed and coppered 2 to 3 weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Lads, anyone know the holes you see built into stone walls. Like a creep gate! What are they called?

Could be a "counting hole", is it big enough for sheep to go through?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Just home from helping neighbour bring in round bales. Getting about 12 acres mowed tomorrow. Hope he returns the favour. About 40 acres to do in total. Will be seeing bales in my dreams after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Base price wrote: »
    We have had a few problems with scours in weanlings on grass in the last week. First one I noticed was last Wed and there was a pull on him as well. Brought him in and his temp was 104. Phoned the vet and got an injection for him resiflor to deal with the pneumonia. Next day there was 2 others in the same batch and 2 others in another batch all with a smelly watery scour but they didn't have a pull or high themp.
    I took dung samples and vet tested for 5 of the nasties, e coli, rotavirus, crypto, coronavirus and another one. Negative to all.
    I brought the rest of the dung samples to a lab and got them tested for Cocci and stomach worms - negative to all.
    I put them back on the teat feeder on Friday with electrolytes one feed, then kaolin powder with sulphamathezine powder (N0.2) next feed electrolytes and natural yogurt for the last feed.
    They also got sulphamet injections for 4 days. They are slowly improving but still not right. They have hay ad-lib and today I am slowly introducing nuts back to their diet.
    Has anyone had similar problems.
    They are all bought in stock as calves (from 10 days to 2 weeks old) and reared here. They would all be 3+ months old. Dosed and coppered 2 to 3 weeks ago.
    whats the water like where they are? Our weanlngs need alot of looking after this year, mainly with lameness, had 1 scour and a couple of pneumonia too:cool:

Either that or he's breaking into the neighbours fields

whelan2 wrote: »
    whats the water like where they are? Our weanlngs need alot of looking after this year, mainly with lameness, had 1 scour and a couple of pneumonia too:cool:

Yeah what the hell is he story with the lameness this year

Water is mains. With all the rain they could have been drinking from pools collected on the ground. Had a problem with stomach worms 2 years ago for the same reason that is why we got the samples tested for worm counts.
    No problems with lameness.

Base price wrote: »
    Water is mains. With all the rain they could have been drinking from pools collected on the ground. Had a problem with stomach worms 2 years ago for the same reason that is why we got the samples tested for worm counts.
    No problems with lameness.
    have they been done with bovicox, i changed from vecoxan and find bovicox great. Alot of extra work looking after them

have 1 in i have been injecting for 8 days:eek: tried pen/strep first , shes now on tylan and betamox and is coming on nicely

• Advertisement

have they been done with bovicox, i changed from vecoxan and find bovicox great. Alot of extra work looking after them

Yep, do them when they arrive here and use bovicox too. Did them again when I saw them scouring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

have 1 in i have been injecting for 8 days:eek: tried pen/strep first , shes now on tylan and betamox and is coming on nicely

Usually go for tetroxy LA if possible first for lameness, find it good

Have one b*llocks of a cow here allowing 3 calves to suck her. Wouldn't be thew best milker in the world either. Although she's in heat today and only calved the second week of May so it's not doing her any harm!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

the turf is fierce wet atfer all these heavy showers the last few days,
    needs a bit of drying :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Watching a little shrew running around the Kitchen here now wondering how im going to catch the fecker! Very annoying.

Watching a little shrew running around the Kitchen here now wondering how im going to catch the fecker! Very annoying.

From experience with the cats, I've used cling film stretched across the kitchen and he'll run into it and it will give and catch him.

Lovely timid little things, can die of fright too so don't chase after him like a lunatic!

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Have one b*llocks of a cow here allowing 3 calves to suck her. Wouldn't be thew best milker in the world either. Although she's in heat today and only calved the second week of May so it's not doing her any harm!:eek:

So long as her own calf is getting as much as she needs I wouldn't worry to much about the cow . We have a few clowns of cows here that let anything suck , they have loads of milk but the odd time their calf looses out on what it should be getting if a bigger weanling is too greedy

So long as her own calf is getting as much as she needs I wouldn't worry to much about the cow . We have a few clowns of cows here that let anything suck , they have loads of milk but the odd time their calf looses out on what it should be getting if a bigger weanling is too greedy

Seems to be getting enough from her. Hilarious thing is that she had twins before and abandoned one. :rolleyes::confused:

Seems to be getting enough from her. Hilarious thing is that she had twins before and abandoned one. :rolleyes::confused:

The female mind is a tricky one :-)

• Advertisement

Herd test done...... clear for another year, OH YEAH :D

Don't I feckin' know it:D

not near as tricky as the male one:D

Says you :p

its that time of year again , started powerwashing:D, giving milking parlour a run down and then off to slatted sheds. Amazing how dirty the milking parlour was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ah Ha !!
    Recognition that we DO have our own mind !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

its that time of year again , started powerwashing:D, giving milking parlour a run down and then off to slatted sheds. Amazing how dirty the milking parlour was

If we ever meet I'll know ya barbecue in one hand power washer in the other lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

_Brian wrote: »
    Ah Ha !!
    Recognition that we DO have our own mind !!

good lad brian

i was about to say we never get to use them;)

See ya in about a week. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Tackling the slatted shed here also....have all the heavy stuff cleared out from calving pens, creep area, around edges of slatted pens etc. Powerwasher coming out this evening or some time tonight and will tackle it bit by bit.

See ya in about a week. :D
    ha! will probably still be powerwashing in september:o

• Advertisement

ha! will probably still be powerwashing in september:o

Just in time for them to come back in :D

Aha new toy has arrived :D

Aha new toy has arrived :D

Please elaborate. I am very comfused:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

See a 500kg bullock sucking the daylights out of a cow yesterday, he may be getting a bit of nose jewellery

Please elaborate. I am very comfused:eek:

New silage rake (new to me) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

throw up a pic there reggie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Just heard that lad few miles from here lost 6 or 7 cattle earlier during the week. They were sheltering under a tree that got hit by lightning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

How much round-up per litre of water do you use when knapsack spraying

Here ya are

Another

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement