Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

whats wrong in the pic?!

Hygiene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭maxxuumman

just do it wrote: »
    Hygiene

Tis quite a picture alright, tid make you want to go out and gulp down a litre of milk. Hmmm yummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭ABlur

Base price wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the road from Portumna to Gort is like for a lorry. quote]
    Its a terrible road you pass through Derrybrien the place that almost got washed away a few years back. Havent been on it since the floods wrecked a new tyre on it before xmas. Avoid if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Hey Reggie, you're running in the 6.00 at Wolverhampton:D:D

Too late again.....damn it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

That's a very American type agreement, like pudseys comment above on Americans saying "if only someone with a legally held firearm had been there to shoot the baddie" :)

But it is the truth,
    only a very brave burgler enters a property in rural US

• Advertisement

The main thing about the firearms act is that it is in the American constitution so if the right to bear arms was taken out what about the right that all men are created equal or the right to free speech.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Reggie. wrote: »
    Too late again.....damn it

You're alright Reggie, you were pipped at the post. Must be those night feeds knocking you out:P

Cooking kangaroo steaks here now, should be interesting!

You're alright Reggie, you were pipped at the post. Must be those night feeds knocking you out:P

Not as fit as I used to be... :(
    Has that cat of yours moved on the kangaroo now :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I just figured out that there is a friends button beside my avatar, - and I don't have any! :(

I just figured out that there is a friends button beside my avatar, - and I don't have any! :(

Have ya sorted lad :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Comparing apples & oranges.

As an individual I am more responsible than the law of the land here allows me to demonstrate. For example I am disallowed from demonstrating I am responsible enough to own a pistol for sporting purposes, not that I want to, but that's not the point. There are gun owners in my parish here I wouldn't personally allow a catapult, but the system allows them own guns. Including people with drug offenses.

In the US, there would be many disallowed from owning certain firearms, or indeed any firearms if some were to have their way. Those responsible owners would be discriminated against in my opinion thanks to the failures of the system to identify and address the issues which lead to people flying off the handle and going on a spree.

If we are to go down that road no one would be allowed to learn to fly. September 11 for example killed over 3,000 people yet people are still allowed learn fly airplanes :eek: Why not drive your car, or larger vehicle into some pedestrians, ban gas canisters because they can be improvised into explosives, or any number of other scenarios.

Banning the inanimate object is pointless, address the underlying issues to solve the problem.

Con I will agree to disagree but if you look at the situtation in the US it answers all the questions. We have not got a ban on firearms but rather certain type of fireams.

Like I said earlier it is very hard to light touch regulate gun ownership. We light touch regulated the banks and see what happened, that cost lives as well. Light touch regulation of gun ownership is much too dangerous.

A while back a lad was sermonizing about about a what another lad had done. As I explained neither he I or you Con know which or what our kids will do. In the US they are finding that about gun ownership.

I nor you can gaurantee no matter how responsible we are that in 10 or twent years time one of our children will not do somthing stupid.

And at least we know under present Irish law they will not have access to automatic weapons or high powered pistols or rifles that we could legally hold in the US.

Billy no-mates:P:P

I don't really think it makes much difference, if you want to PM someone they're usually easy to find!

Reggie, I got it in a market, paid more than I would pay for a bit of fillet beef too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Con I will agree to disagree but if you look at the situtation in the US it answers all the questions. We have not got a ban on firearms but rather certain type of fireams.

Like I said earlier it is very hard to light touch regulate gun ownership. We light touch regulated the banks and see what happened, that cost lives as well. Light touch regulation of gun ownership is much too dangerous.

A while back a lad was sermonizing about about a what another lad had done. As I explained neither he I or you Con know which or what our kids will do. In the US they are finding that about gun ownership.

I nor you can gaurantee no matter how responsible we are that in 10 or twent years time one of our children will not do somthing stupid.

And at least we know under present Irish law they will not have access to automatic weapons or high powered pistols or rifles that we could legally hold in the US.

Yeah, we're not going to agree.

Under current Irish law you can get semi automatic firearms, both shotguns and rifles. If you want to break the law, I'd be fairly sure one could source an illegal handgun for the right amount of €€€.

So to me laws are like what they say about locks, they only stop the honest law abiding person, there are laws about littering, speeding, animal abuse etc., etc. It all comes back to the individual making the decision to observe the law, or not. The gun doesn't make the decision.

There is a world of work could be done in fields like mental health, bullying, workplace stress etc. But lets face it, those who have the power where the money is spent take the easy road and just ban something. Great lads altogether, pat on the back from their friends and a nice headline in the morning.

They might be wary of the name :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Yeah, we're not going to agree.

Under current Irish law you can get semi automatic firearms, both shotguns and rifles. If you want to break the law, I'd be fairly sure one could source an illegal handgun for the right amount of €€€.

So to me laws are like what they say about locks, they only stop the honest law abiding person, there are laws about littering, speeding, animal abuse etc., etc. It all comes back to the individual making the decision to observe the law, or not. The gun doesn't make the decision.

There is a world of work could be done in fields like mental health, bullying, workplace stress etc. But lets face it, those who have the power where the money is spent take the easy road and just ban something. Great lads altogether, pat on the back from their friends and a nice headline in the morning.

I would not agree with all of the above, but some of it yes.
    Mental health plays a big part of the topic in this country. However in the US, (i've never been so I can only guess) its a herd mentality, e.g. well if everyone else has one..... and that's not going to change any time soon.

its also a huge, if not the largest of chunk their economy, so its in their "interests" to have low levels of regulations.

Maybe if you only had to flush once :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

ABlur wrote: »
    Base price wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the road from Portumna to Gort is like for a lorry. quote]
    Its a terrible road you pass through Derrybrien the place that almost got washed away a few years back. Havent been on it since the floods wrecked a new tyre on it before xmas. Avoid if possible.
    +1, brutal road. Last time I went over there I nearly put a deer up on the bonnet aswell. Bad enough in a jeep not to mind a lorry.

Spent €67 at the general merchant today on feck all :rolleyes: Reminds me of farmer pudsey's line about the lad who drops €50 at the co-op every Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Reggie. wrote: »
    The main thing about the firearms act is that it is in the American constitution so if the right to bear arms was taken out what about the right that all men are created equal or the right to free speech.......

But the American public have always strenuously defended the right to bear arms, while to a certain degree, they still do not fully support the notion that all men are created equal. As far as I can see, they justified this to themselves on the basis that people of colour weren't "men" in the full sense of the word. The situation in the US is not going to change, too much of their economy is arms driven, from the small gun maker to the giant corporations building weapons systems. When the "Sandy Hook" massacre happened, the rational was that an armed guard would be present in every school. people were clamouring that "if the teachers were armed, they could have shot him" Like all Societies, they pick and choose what they want to adhere to, as do most religion's etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Spent €67 at the general merchant today on feck all :rolleyes: Reminds me of farmer pudsey's line about the lad who drops €50 at the co-op every Saturday.

Its amazing how a few small things add up . Sure €50 will get feck all these days :mad:

• Advertisement

I would not agree with all of the above, but some of it yes.
    Mental health plays a big part of the topic in this country. However in the US, (i've never been so I can only guess) its a herd mentality, e.g. well if everyone else has one..... and that's not going to change any time soon.

its also a huge, if not the largest of chunk their economy, so its in their "interests" to have low levels of regulations.

I've been to the US, they're very nice people, but different to here. Also been very involved with US students coming and staying here.

The gun industry is a tiny % of the US economy. The highest figure I have come across is $32bn, while ExxonMobile alone does something like $450bn.

To use the herd mentality is to fall into the trap that Americans are all stupid. That's a fairly broad generalisation given the size of the country and it's population. It's also wrong.

I went to ours last week, bit of fert, bit of feed, few stakes, bit of wire €700+

:eek: I nearly had to have a sit down.

moy83 wrote: »
    Its amazing how a few small things add up . Sure €50 will get feck all these days :mad:

That's the thing isn't it. You don't take any notice of these small purchases but you make a lot of them during the year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I went to ours last week, bit of fert, bit of feed, few stakes, bit of wire €700+

:eek: I nearly had to have a sit down.
    That's the thing isn't it. You don't take any notice of these small purchases but you make a lot of them during the year!

What I have learned about this type of purchassing is try to have it in Stock. Buy it in Bulk it very easy to end up with a 400 yoyo bill every month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

came home from farm to be met by a birthday cake and tae, I hardy thought it was my bday but herself didn't forget, off for a few pints now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I said it earlier, but I'll say it again anyway, the gun ownership in US vs Ireland debate is chalk and cheese, we are at different ends of the scale, with very different traditions of gun legislation. I'm far happier with our model even if it is highly regulated and lacks subtly, than the American model. I don't see the need for Joe public to be armed to the teeth with automatic weapons or even handguns, though I'd agree that the law here is excessive intolerant of pistol shooters as a sporting pursuit.
    If I wanted a "weapons grade" device capable of massive power and accuracy, with no real regulation I'd arm myself with a compound bow. A modern set up in the right hands is a serious piece of kit. Magnified sights, Mechanical release aids, top end carbon arrows. The accuracy that can be achieved is seriously impressive, and can more or less be bought straight off the shelf.

What I have learned about this type of purchassing is try to have it in Stock. Buy it in Bulk it very easy to end up with a 400 yoyo bill every month.

Curse of the small farmer Puds, I only needed a half ton of feed, a few bags fert, 200m of fencing.

Think I will be spending on higher quality fencing materials when am doing my boundary next though. I see square creosoted stakes in my future.

case 956 wrote: »
    came home from farm to be met by a birthday cake and tae, I hardy thought it was my bday but herself didn't forget, off for a few pints now

Happy birthday case, behave yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭dzer2

Trying to do nitrates derogation on line has anyone any idea what the storage period values mean

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Well kovu, what was skippy like? What way did you cook it or with what? It should put a bounce in your step

Well kovu, what was skippy like? What way did you cook it or with what? It should put a bounce in your step

She'll be some woman for finding kids down wells and old mine shafts now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Never tasted kangaroo and would love to try it, also the bounce in your step would be a bonus :D

Skippy was delicious. Has a cut of steak which I flash fried and then I made a Skippy pie for tomorrow with another piece. Surprisingly very tender!:D
    She'll be some woman for finding kids down wells and old mine shafts now.

What's that Kovu?! TIMMAAY is stuck down the well!!;)

Skippy was delicious. Has a cut of steak which I flash fried and then I made a Skippy pie for tomorrow with another piece. Surprisingly very tender!:D

Sounds nice, what time will i call?

Sounds nice, what time will i call?

Ah just turn up at the door! Bring yer own tay though:D

• Advertisement

Ah just turn up at the door! Bring yer own tay though:D

No problem, won't bring Lyons tay anyway. Will have my little joey with me - and no smart remarks!

No problem, won't bring Lyons tay anyway. Will have my little joey with me - and no smart remarks!

Smart remarks? Ah now, would I do that:rolleyes:

went for a few "suppose to be quite" birthday drinks last night, well long story short ended up in club viva athlone and only getting to bed at half 5, am fooked today

went for a few "suppose to be quite" birthday drinks last night, well long story short ended up in club viva athlone and only getting to bed at half 5, am fooked today

Was there much of a crowd in it for a monday night . I havent been in a nightclub in ages

moy83 wrote: »
    Was there much of a crowd in it for a monday night . I havent been in a nightclub in ages

ye great crowd, full of students from the college, monday and wed nights busiest in athlone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

ye great crowd, full of students from the college, monday and wed nights busiest in athlone

Was viva bozos?

Muckit wrote: »
    Was viva bozos?
    I don't know muckit tbh where bozos was it was before my time :P all I do know is I have one mother of a hangover and come into the house and two nieces screaming there heads off isn't helping the situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Can anyone tell me what time the calf sales start at in new Ross on Saturdays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

0868452402 manager

leg wax wrote: »
    0868452402 manager

Good man thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Only came across this now. A good idea and hopefully it works for them.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/the-irish-beef-co-op/6474959

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

As prices are supposed to be between €200 - €250 euro a head better in England, is it possible to transport a load (say 28 finished bullocks) to england and get them slaughtered there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

10.30 I think but best to ring Richie as above.

As prices are supposed to be between €200 - €250 euro a head better in England, is it possible to transport a load (say 28 finished bullocks) to england and get them slaughtered there?

I dont know anything about bringing them over but did I hear that stena line is letting a few cattle on the ferry now ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement