Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Was flicking through a few different things on Wikipedia a while ago and I came across this page, his story would make for a great film I reckon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Lee_McNair
    We stayed in Penticton in Alberta on honeymoon. I had always wanted to see Head-smashed-in-buffalo-jump a few miles north of there.

And discovered the meaning of 'wind chill' there too:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

How much would ya charge for topping???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

5live wrote: »
    We stayed in Penticton in Alberta on honeymoon. I had always wanted to see Head-smashed-in-buffalo-jump a few miles north of there.

And discovered the meaning of 'wind chill' there too:eek:

Ha ha, tis a while since I read of head-smashed-in-buffalo-jump :)

We found ourselves there once upon a time too, in summer and there was still a nice old breeze...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Ha ha, tis a while since I read of head-smashed-in-buffalo-jump :)

We found ourselves there once upon a time too, in summer and there was still a nice old breeze...

If I ever go missing, chances are I can be found not far from there. Absolutely loved the area and the people were fantastic. Hope to take the kids there in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Just back home after spending a lovely evening with one of my best friends celebrating the Solstice. Youngest son dropped me earlier and I got a taxi home.
    Feckin taxi fare was €20 for a 3 mile odd run :(
    If I had known that before I would have walked home, probably only 2 odd miles cross country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Base price wrote: »
    Just back home after spending a lovely evening with one of my best friends celebrating the Solstice. Youngest son dropped me earlier and I got a taxi home.
    If I had known that before I would have walked home, probably only 2 odd miles cross country.

We were out with a group on a Bat and Moth talk and walk.
    What a wonderful night and it's nice to take the time to see a bit of nature that we usually just pass bye.

_Brian wrote: »
    What a wonderful night and it's nice to take the time to see a bit of nature that we usually just pass bye.
    I would love to go on one of those. Super weather tonight too.
    I remember hearing on Mooney Goes Wild that there are something like 6 times more the weight in insects than there is in other species on Earth. I think plants may also be included in that calculation. Stand corrected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

we have bats in the roof space of our house. Nice to see them fluttering out at dusk, but they have the window ledges destroyed with droppings on that side of the house. Had to seal the attic water tank, they kept getting drowned in it.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    we have bats in the roof space of our house. Nice to see them fluttering out at dusk, but they have the window ledges destroyed with droppings on that side of the house. Had to seal the attic water tank, they kept getting drowned in it.
    I love bats, they are superb flyers, considering they are doing so at night and using echo location to find their way.
    Years ago, I got my brother to seal off the header water tank in my attic as I was convinced that mice/rats were dying in it after eating Storm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Traveled most of the county tonight and had a god few pints in 4 or 5 diderrnt pubs was right craic. Up at 6 so I'll say goofmd night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Traveled most of the county tonight and had a god few pints in 4 or 5 diderrnt pubs was right craic. Up at 6 so I'll say goofmd night

Never mind them cows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

You should of done a runner ;)
    Walking home cross country is some craic full of beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

You should of done a runner ;)
    Walking home cross country is some craic full of beer.

The slightest hill becomes a mountain :D

Ya can't beat the 5 month old alarm clock in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Reggie. wrote: »
    Ya can't beat the 5 month old alarm clock in the morning

Ya you can't really beat them at 5 months alright Reggie !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Tell me you put no bags in the hold. Sil insisted she had to. We had to turn the aircon on in the cars and there was still no sign of her a good three quarters of an hour after we cleared passport control. The kicker is they're part owners of the apartment they were staying in and have a secure garage to store gear in.

Only delay was on the taxi driver. I had lre booked it as theres 5 of us. had to wait 20 minutes for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Just noticed bee keeping, when did that start

whelan2 wrote: »
    Only delay was on the taxi driver. I had lre booked it as theres 5 of us. had to wait 20 minutes for him

All settled in are ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Saw a pair of pine martins yesterday evening when i was bringing the cows in.

Farrell wrote: »
    Just noticed bee keeping, when did that start

There's reckords of the Egyptians keeping bees back more than 2000 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

And they say honey is the only food that doesn't spoil. So that Egyptian honey, if found, should still be edible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Up at 4am for 5 hour drive to showjumping competition.
    Arrive to the most hellish thunderstorm.
    Haven't seen the likes of it in years.
    Everything delayed. Won't be home until very late.

Oh my god :rolleyes:

sheebadog wrote: »
    Up at 4am for 5 hour drive to showjumping competition.
    Arrive to the most hellish thunderstorm.
    Haven't seen the likes of it in years.
    Everything delayed. Won't be home until very late.

No beach for you today

Oh my god :rolleyes:

Cheesy I know. But i couldn't resist.

Cheesy I know. But i couldn't resist.

Ref Ref.....A Yellow card surly :D

You find yourself doing the oddest of jobs sometimes.

Mum was thinking the decorative stone on my Dads grave were dull and a bit of green on them so she asked us to clean them.

Ended lifting them in 25l buckets, bringing them home, running through cement mixer with hypachloride, back into buckets, then back onto the grave.

Was the whole day yesterday at it and the back is a little more than delicate today. Brother got a fair bit of sunburn too.

Mum was thinking the decorative stone on my Dads grave were dull and a bit of green on them so she asked us to clean them.

Ended lifting them in 25l buckets, bringing them home, running through cement mixer with hypachloride, back into buckets, then back onto the grave.

Was the whole day yesterday at it and the back is a little more than delicate today. Brother got a fair bit of sunburn too.

Would it have worked aswell if you sprayed the stuff onto the stones and rinsed it off again ?
    When I'm dry dashing a house I used to gather what falls on the ground , wash them and use them the following day for dashing again . But in my old age I gave up and just buy a few new bags , its nearly as cheap as the labour of picking them up and cleaning them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

No beach for you today

Oh yes beach for me today!
    Equestrian centre is 100 meters from the beach and once ponies are tacked up, I'm there.
    Just like Whelan2.

Back would be sore but fair play to ya for keeping the grave well kept.

• Advertisement

sheebadog wrote: »
    Oh yes beach for me today!
    Equestrian centre is 100 meters from the beach and once ponies are tacked up, I'm there.
    Just like Whelan2.

Damn it :D

moy83 wrote: »
    Would it have worked aswell if you sprayed the stuff onto the stones and rinsed it off again ?
    When I'm dry dashing a house I used to gather what falls on the ground , wash them and use them the following day for dashing again . But in my old age I gave up and just buy a few new bags , its nearly as cheap as the labour of picking them up and cleaning them .

Amazing how the mind works as ya get older

I was talking to the parents about this awhile back , I was thinking cremation would be the way to go . Scatter the fathers ashes on the land ( somewhere of his choice obviously ) and split the mother between her fathers grave and my sisters one .
    We cant keep burying people and filling the graveyards , our local one is bursting and I wouldn't be the best to keep a grave tended either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Christ, everyone is full of smart remarks this morning!:D
    td5man wrote: »
    Saw a pair of pine martins yesterday evening when i was bringing the cows in.
    Family of 3/4 being brought up around us, seen two wee ones on the lane the other evening.
    Damo810 wrote: »
    I think my thumb may be broke, fecking beer. Betwe=em ,y thumb, Kove's ankle, whats next?

Well that's arm and leg, so maybe someone will do their ribs in?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Christ, everyone is full of smart remarks this morning!:D

Family of 3/4 being brought up around us, seen two wee ones on the lane the other evening.

Well that's arm and leg, so maybe someone will do their ribs in?:confused:

Haha i did a rib curtesy of a snowboard,but that was back in January so hardly counts :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

moy83 wrote: »
    I was talking to the parents about this awhile back , I was thinking cremation would be the way to go . Scatter the fathers ashes on the land ( somewhere of his choice obviously ) and split the mother between her fathers grave and my sisters one .
    We cant keep burying people and filling the graveyards , our local one is bursting and I wouldn't be the best to keep a grave tended either

Supposed to be one gone through the planning stages for ballinasloe. Great idea as fairly central to a lot of the country and undertaking is far from a dying trade :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

I think its a disgrace when you see graves not kept well there your parents well in my case they are.I've seen some in or graveyard with no headstone or names for yrs afters wards

Muckit wrote: »
    Supposed to be one gone through the planning stages for ballinasloe. Great idea as fairly central to a lot of the country and undertaking is far from a dying trade :)

:P:D

I'm one to be cremated anyway, have always said it. No need to put me in a box under the ground, I prefer the open air thank you very much.

One just about completed in Cavan town. Not for me however. Can see the silage fields from our family plot, so will be keeping an eye on things........:cool:

• Advertisement

"For us to live you must die " as the undertaker says :D
    I think there was planning turned down for a crematorium in Tuam last year , dont know why cos it would be a great job .

Was there not plans to build one in Cork, in Ovens, off all places?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

yeah that adjoining cemetery must be fairly full now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Was there not plans to build one in Cork, in Ovens, off all places?

There is one in Ringaskiddy, doing a lively trade.

To be fair it did ask for it.
    Anyway when did the sub forum start

Just on Friday so you weren't blind to it for too long:D

• Advertisement

Nice to see it.
    I'd love to keep bees here.

Nice to see it.
    I'd love to keep bees here.
    +1
    Great to see this forum. Lots of interest in bee keeping in the last couple of years. A friend keeps bees and with the help of others set up a bee keeping club in our area. Apparently they have lots of new members.
    I love honey but to be honest I get freaked out when I see so many bees in such a confined space. I would like to get over this phobia but doubt it :o
    I just discovered that the bird nesting in my barbecue is robin and not a wren as I previously thought. 5 chicks hatched successfully and are doing well. Viewed with the assistance of a camera probe thingie belonging to my brother.

+1
    Great to see this forum. Lots of interest in bee keeping in the last couple of years. A friend keeps bees and with the help of others set up a bee keeping club in our area. Apparently they have lots of new members.
    I love honey but to be honest I get freaked out when I see so many bees in such a confined space. I would like to get over this phobia but doubt it :o
    I just discovered that the bird nesting in my barbecue is robin and not a wren as I previously thought. 5 chicks hatched successfully and are doing well. Viewed with the assistance of a camera probe thingie belonging to my brother.
    Find of honey myself.
    Wouldn't of had it as a child, but really got into it about 10 years ago. Good for you especially if you suffer hay fever .
    Only down side is bread's supposedly bad for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Honey is great to put on the end of dummy when a child is roaring

naughto wrote: »
    Honey is great to put on the end of dummy when a child is roaring
    I have done that too plus other old age treatments that would be considered a no no now days.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement