Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Base price wrote: »
    I have done that too plus other old age treatments that would be considered a no no now days.

Wouldn't buy the ordinary shop stuff, local or none at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I have done that too plus other old age treatments that would be considered a no no now days.
    Botulism?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Farrell wrote: »
    Find of honey myself.
    Wouldn't of had it as a child, but really got into it about 10 years ago. Good for you especially if you suffer hay fever .
    Only down side is bread's supposedly bad for you

Indeed.. for the last few years weve been using honey produced locally and thought little of it, it was nice and supporting local enterprise.. The chap stopped selling honey - our youngest daughter is suffering badly with hayfever now, maybe not getting the local honey has added to the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    Botulism?
    Ha ha - no
    A drop of jemmie..
    How is the place. Looks really nice on the brochure. I suppose the kids have been in the pool already :)

_Brian wrote: »
    Indeed.. for the last few years weve been using honey produced locally and thought little of it, it was nice and supporting local enterprise.. The chap stopped selling honey - our youngest daughter is suffering badly with hayfever now, maybe not getting the local honey has added to the problem.
    Would you not consider keeping a hive yourself.
    I know of a few guys in the Arva/Gowna/Aughnacliffe area that would be willing to help you.

Great day today. Only 3 calls from home . Unfortunately one of them was that a very close friend died from cancer thankfully now free from pain

Great day today. Only 3 calls from home . Unfortunately one of them was that a very close friend died from cancer thankfully now free from pain
    May she or he rest in peace. Hopefully their family are ok. My Dad died from cancer and they only positive thing that I can say about the whole experience is that (when we realised that it was terminal) we got to spend quality time with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Botulism?

Yeah - I thought there was a risk of botulism from honey for babies too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

You're heard of the irish coffee. .. now let me present to you the 'irish' baby bottle!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Botulism?

More danger of Chlorophenical in stuff imported from China.

• Advertisement

Yeah - I thought there was a risk of botulism from honey for babies too?
    I never knew that there was a risk with honey. Just after goggling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Anthony Bourdain has the best job in the world, travel the world ate'n n drinkin' and get paid for it.

Adam Richmond isn't far behind him! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Muckit wrote: »
    Adam Richmond isn't far behind him! :D

Ah but he got really depressed as he put on weight. He recently lost a lot of weight and posed in the nip. I was told this. Yup, that's how I know.:rolleyes:

Anthony Bourdain has the best job in the world, travel the world ate'n n drinkin' and get paid for it.

Did ya think did he give nigella a rattle on 'the taste'? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

ya my mother in law has all the old treatments that we use ans she has reared 4 her self so who am i to tell here that we will not use us cos some p1rick on the telly said it bad for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Some very good documentaries on Nat Geo tonight,watching American skinheads now and North Korea uncovered on next.american skinheads at the moment some pretty screwed up people still in this world

Did ya think did he give nigella a rattle on 'the taste'? :)

Never watched the taste but if he coulda........ He shoulda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Just back from tullamore fcuk me some match

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Some very good documentaries on Nat Geo tonight,watching American skinheads now and North Korea uncovered on next.american skinheads at the moment some pretty screwed up people still in this world

Yep North Korea uncovered is a shocker... Would hate to have grown up in them parts. We don't know how lucky we are.!

Away to bed as I have an early start in the morning.
    I am attending a two week upskilling course in Dublin that is not farm related.
    I would prefer to pull my finger and toe nails out with a blunt pair of pliers :eek:
    However it has to be done to keep me in the loop.

Made it loads of times camping in France but never with duck eggs. We always used brioche too as it made it even sweeter, topped with sugar then. Oh god pass me the pan, I can cook some now perhaps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

An, I'm told, true story.

A farmer was having a dept dairy inspection by two people, one middle aged woman and a young lad who was been trained as a inspector. The woman introduced herself by name but the farmer kept calling her a 'pet' version of it much to her annoyance. The inspection dIid not go very well with several things wrong. The conversation went something like this

Inspector- Did you not read the book you were sent?
    Farmer- No, I left skoool when I was 12 and I can't read or write. They tell me it called being illegitimate!
    Inspector- Well you should of got someone to read it to you, but you have a lot of work to do here. Where is you isolation box?
    Farmer shows her shed full of rubbish, meal etc
    Inspector- This is desperate. This is meant to be clear and ready for a sick animal. You would have to clear out all this before you put a sick animal in here.
    Farmer- Ah that would not be a problem. I'll do that
    Inspector- And what would you do with sick animal when you were clearing this shed out?
    Farmer- I just do like they did with maaammy when she was in hospital.......I will put her on a trolly:D

Followed by fit of laughing by trainee (who relayed the story to friend)

May she or he rest in peace. Hopefully their family are ok. My Dad died from cancer and they only positive thing that I can say about the whole experience is that (when we realised that it was terminal) we got to spend quality time with him.
    Isnt it mad with all the advancements in medical science that there is no cure yet for cancer . My friend suffered for the last 6 years, never drank or smoked in her life:mad:

• Advertisement

Isnt it mad with all the advancements in medical science that there is no cure yet for cancer . My friend suffered for the last 6 years, never drank or smoked in her life:mad:

Weather nice ??

_Brian wrote: »
    Weather nice ??
    yup, really nice, just chillaxing before i bring kids swimming. Nice breeze.

Couple of chinooks (sp?) here this morning. Really hot and balmy weather and then all of a sudden a gust of cold wind will blow through and stir everything up. Like a mini whirlwind.

I would guess it's a local term so what are they called elsewhere or anyone else see them? Am I going mad (der) ?:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Like a mini whirlwind? saw one once in a hay field, brought up hay about twenty feet in the air. The father always said it was a sign of fine weather to come. here's hoping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Like a mini whirlwind? saw one once in a hay field, brought up hay about twenty feet in the air. The father always said it was a sign of fine weather to come. here's hoping!

I seen that happen a few times at hay but never one 20ft high. Something spooky about it!

• Advertisement

Would you not consider keeping a hive yourself.
    I know of a few guys in the Arva/Gowna/Aughnacliffe area that would be willing to help you.

Yea.
    I'm softening the boss up to the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

They are making some advancements, one or two were in the papers in the last few weeks. Will be a while yet before we see anything though. In the meantime all we can do is take basic precautions - sunscreen, types of food, smoking, radon checks but we will always run the risk of getting one form or another anyway. Seems like every other person from my folks generation around here have had it in one form or another - almost all lethally so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

must go find someone or something to burn tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

Carpet burns :D

ellewood wrote: »
    Carpet burns :D

so i heard;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Yes something indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Couple of chinooks (sp?) here this morning. Really hot and balmy weather and then all of a sudden a gust of cold wind will blow through and stir everything up. Like a mini whirlwind.

I would guess it's a local term so what are they called elsewhere or anyone else see them? Am I going mad (der) ?:pac::pac:

They are called Dust devils around here, when you said chinooks I thought you meant the helis. There was me thinking the Brits have landed :D

Reggie. wrote: »
    They are called Dust devils around here, when you said chinooks I thought you meant the helis. There was me thinking the Brits have landed :D
    that would have been perfect if they had, could have made a bonfire outa the bastards

Yes something indeed

carpet seems to be the recommendation, what will you do for a bonfire, would be hard lit on the river

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinook_wind

Where in the name of jaysus did Leitrim get the term to start using it.

• Advertisement

carpet seems to be the recommendation, what will you do for a bonfire, would be hard lit on the river

I think anything would be hard to light on the river. Try doing it on land ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

.Kovu. wrote: »
    I think anything would be hard to light on the river. Try doing it on land ;)

O very classy indeed

Ha ha.......victory :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Ha ha.......victory :D:D:D

Ya can keep it no turf this year yippee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

How do u work out stocking rate again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

How do u work out stocking rate again?

Check field if too much grass go buy to increase stocking rate

if field checked and theres no grass youre over stocked

Works well for me anyways;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

ellewood wrote: »
    Check field if too much grass go buy to increase stocking rate

if field checked and theres no grass youre over stocked

Works well for me anyways;)

Hmmm well this week il be over stocked.
    And if I get some rain ill be under stocked.
    Place is burning up here

Isnt it mad with all the advancements in medical science that there is no cure yet for cancer

Not quite true. It depends what form and stage of the big C you have. I am one of the lucky ones who managed to beat it after ~6mths of chemo. That's 13 years ago. 13... lucky for some ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Not quite true. It depends what form and stage of the big C you have. I am one of the lucky ones who managed to beat it after ~6mths of chemo. That's 13 years ago. 13... lucky for some ;)

Have a sister working in lab in regional in limerick,she did some thesis on cancer care as part of her college studies and she is utterly convinced that there is a cure out there but the drug companies are making so much money from all the current treatments that are there that it'll be some time before anything happens.if that's the case itd make u sick.my dad had prostate cancer about 12 years ago and successfully came through it and isxstill here to tell the tale.my sister in law only 31 with her whole life ahead of her was stuck down with ovarian cancer and had to have a full hysterectomy ,she also came through it and is still with us but will never have a family.any time I'm having a crap day I think of both and realise my problems are irrelevant when comparing to that.

• Advertisement

Hard to kill a bad thing Muckit :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement