Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

Wondering how is your cow getting on now
    gone to cow heaven, she couldnt eat, along with a smashing fr heifer calf that dislocated her shoulder in the calf pen:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Can't work this twitter thing at all, going to have to give and take lessons or something :pac:

eco eye on now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Can't work this twitter thing at all, going to have to give and take lessons or something :pac:

Patqfarmer or lakill farm will set you straight. Still figuring it out myself.

biddy2013 wrote: »
    eco eye on now

Anything worth watching on it, was doing homework with the kids.

Anything worth watching on it, was doing homework with the kids.
    antibiotic resistance, was interesting enough, better than ettg anyday, am warming a bit to duncan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

antibiotic resistance, was interesting enough, better than ettg anyday, am warming a bit to duncan
    Steady biddy.....
    yeah local vet says to me the other day that antibiotic resistance is becoming a problem

I will watch it on player so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Wrecked. Calving cows looking after sick calves and healthy ones along with putting up fences and milk recording makes a busy day. Along with the aunties coming to say happy birthday didn't help either.
    Milk recording adds a lot if time to milking when ye haven't got a proper routine going

• Advertisement

Wrecked. Calving cows looking after sick calves and healthy ones along with putting up fences and milk recording makes a busy day. Along with the aunties coming to say happy birthday didn't help either.
    Milk recording adds a lot if time to milking when ye haven't got a proper routine going
    (hope i read this right but)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GREENY :D

we where milk recording here too, 5-10 minutes extra is the norm here

we where milk recording here too, 5-10 minutes extra is the norm here

Second time doing it and I made a muck off it at the start. I had a heap of water in Meters and had to get a hold of the lad that does them to try fix it.

Reggie. wrote: »
    (hope i read this right but)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GREENY :D

It will end up like Facebook here in a while ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Dehorned calves today and blooded two cows for the mart. One of them is still lame for the last 3 months. Annoyance as she was mud fat this time last year.

Cooking venison too at the moment, Skippy all gone :pac:

Oh and happy birthday Green!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Dehorned calves today and blooded two cows for the mart. One of them is still lame for the last 3 months. Annoyance as she was mud fat this time last year.

Cooking venison too at the moment, Skippy all gone :pac:

Oh and happy birthday Green!

Didn't know you were into roadkill. I suppose you'll be having badger tomorrow night:D

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Didn't know you were into roadkill. I suppose you'll be having badger tomorrow night:D

I eat the oddest meats, not the best advert for beef farming!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I eat the oddest meats, not the best advert for beef farming!:eek:

Lidl had a great range, hare, wild boar, venison steaks and diced, guinea foul, quail, pheasant, hog roast.
    The diced venison in particular makes a great pie.

Lidl had a great range, hare, wild boar, venison steaks and diced, guinea foul, quail, pheasant, hog roast.
    The diced venison in particular makes a great pie.

Had them all except the hare, then again it's coming near to the time when I will be getting leverets brought as presents to the door:o:pac:

Bear remains the weirdest one though. I don't know how I will top that!

Had them all except the hare, then again it's coming near to the time when I will be getting leverets brought as presents to the door:o:pac:

Bear remains the weirdest one though. I don't know how I will top that!

****ing cats. I dread them for that carry on.

****ing cats. I dread them for that carry on.

Yes but we never have a rat or mouse around the place! And he's a cheap way of heating my bed:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

GC is the meat in lidl you mentioned frozen or in fridge? Must keep an eye out. Eating a lot of fish and usually get my red meat from local butcher.

Did make some lovely tandoori chicken thighs after marinating them in natural yoghurt, cumin and gara masala. Now they were finger lickin good! :D

Tis nice to have something tasty for the lunch when everyone else is eating sambos or beans and waffles :D

Good debate on primetime

Muckit wrote: »
    GC is the meat in lidl you mentioned frozen or in fridge? Must keep an eye out. Eating a lot of fish and usually get my red meat from local butcher.

Did make some lovely tandoori chicken thighs after marinating them in natural yoghurt, cumin and gara masala. Now they were finger lickin good! :D

Tis nice to have something tasty for the lunch when everyone else is eating sambos or beans and waffles :D

Frozen. Some of it was wild too. I see on the box there that the Hare is Argentinian, shot may be present. The Venison,I remember was wild according to the pack too. I forget where it came from. I've a leg of Wild Boar there too from USA. Deluxe is the brand on it.

shot may be present

Dentist on speed dial :eek: Place here is over run with hares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

999928_674457999243253_1071295742_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

good one LOL
    and not far off either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

....Wild Boar there too from USA. Deluxe is the brand on it.

Had wild boar pasta in Italy a few years back. Now that was seriously tasty. More like beef than pork

Muckit wrote: »
    Had wild boar pasta in Italy a few years back. Now that was seriously tasty. More like beef than pork

Yeah, I'd have never guessed it was pig.

Dentist on speed dial :eek: Place here is over run with hares.

Was a nice few about but them traveling lurcher men has them hounded. The wagons are circling on them boys too.

Was a nice few about but them traveling lurcher men has them hounded. The wagons are circling on them boys too.

Place is full of them here. Are you allowed to shoot them? Never thought about it before tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

The F**kers always eat the earth wire on electric fencers on me!

Spotted 2 tonight. I read story on here about fox eating vulva out of downer heifer .. Brought shotgun and a mate with me tonight to hold torch but no sign of my bold fox :-) too windy

Place is full of them here. Are you allowed to shoot them? Never thought about it before tbh.

Season Sept 26th to Feb 28th. I shot one years ago when I was a young lad and never again. They're big animals when you're up close to them.

Season Sept 26th to Feb 28th. I shot one years ago when I was a young lad and never again. They're big animals when you're up close to them.

I have 3 days so :D Why never again for you?
    Now where's that shotgun......

Bodacious wrote: »
    The F**kers always eat the earth wire on electric fencers on me!

Spotted 2 tonight. I read story on here about fox eating vulva out of downer heifer .. Brought shotgun and a mate with me tonight to hold torch but no sign of my bold fox :-) too windy

Windy night is the best (and the moon is good now too), particularly with a shotgun as you can get closer faster without being as fearful of making noise like on a quiet, or God forbid, frosty night.

Would leave the mate at home though, I hold light in left hand, rest shotgun fore end on left forearm, works beaut.

I have 3 days so :D Why never again for you?
    Now where's that shotgun......

I suppose I didn't realise at the time how uniquely Irish they are. They have a very special place in the Irish landscape and psyche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Windy night is the best (and the moon is good now too), particularly with a shotgun as you can get closer faster without being as fearful of making noise like on a quiet, or God forbid, frosty night.

Would leave the mate at home though, I hold light in left hand, rest shotgun fore end on left forearm, works beaut.

he came to door of shed to take a cleaning of a cow one night with me in shed.. too close for comfort now me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Bear remains the weirdest one though. I don't know how I will top that![.QUOTO

Was wondering, as i am prone to do, if the bear meat was grizzly?:D

Was wondering, as i am prone to do, if the bear meat was grizzly?:D

It was bearable.

;)

I suppose I didn't realise at the time how uniquely Irish they are. They have a very special place in the Irish landscape and psyche.

Love to see the hares here beautiful animal. I would strangle anyone who killed them on me.
    Only have two though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Shot one once myself, years ago. The way they scream like a child is unsettling. Found a leverett a long time ago abandoned, and fed him with a 10ml syringe till he was enough to eat solids. He grew to a great size, but would never be anything but a wild animal.He escaped one day when i opened the hutch ,and ever since, when i see one on the land I wonder if its a descendant.a

many a fright i got when walking in the fields and a hare would jump out from somewhere, they can do some speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Not a day goes by that I don't see a hare here, place is full of them and I would stumble across a fox or a badger most weeks too. I actually nearly drove over a rabbit with the quad a few days ago, haven't seen one around in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Love to see the hares here beautiful animal. I would strangle anyone who killed them on me.
    Only have two though

I agree, there is something special seeing a few hares rambling about the place.
    They say too that if you got hares you wont see too many rabbits in their area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Ran over a cat last night on way home poor bast##d never seen a bit of him.

I agree, there is something special seeing a few hares rambling about the place.
    They say too that if you got hares you wont see too many rabbits in their area

I remember a few years ago I down the the silage field and these two hares were running up the field and they actually came up my way and ran around me. Was something that would only happen yo ye once.
    My dog is a Labrador crossed with a Japanese Akita. Used to be well able to get up on them and turn them before he turned two. He's 5 now and a bug fat lump and can't even catch a baby rabbit. He has killed two squirrels in his time and lots of rabbits

• Advertisement

Bodacious wrote: »
    he came to door of shed to take a cleaning of a cow one night with me in shed.. too close for comfort now me thinks

Came out from the shed one day at midday and a fox was sitting in the middle of the yard looking at me. Threw the yard brush at him......missed the fox but broke the head off the brush :rolleyes:

heading out now to powerwash:D last calving pen , all the rest have been cleaned, powerwashed and disenfected in the last week or so, they where all done before calving started too

heading out now to powerwash:D last calving pen , all the rest have been cleaned, powerwashed and disenfected in the last week or so, they where all done before calving started too

Go biddy :D:D

I said wrote: »
    Ran over a cat last night on way home poor bast##d never seen a bit of him.

:eek::eek::eek:

Interesting thread over on AH, would you put an animal out of its misery if it was badly injured and not going to survive?

Only thing I hit was a fox when getting home from Carnaross one night round 2am. Car right behind me so couldn't even stop to see if I killed him or what:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

:eek::eek::eek:

Interesting thread over on AH, would you put an animal out of its misery if it was badly injured and not going to survive?

Only thing I hit was a fox when getting home from Carnaross one night round 2am. Car right behind me so couldn't even stop to see if I killed him or what:(

I think its only right to put something out its misery , alot worse to leave them suffering .
    Ive never hit any animals with the car . But I did shear a telecom pole !

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement