Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

greysides wrote: »
    Take samples first, Zanil is a useless dose for anything else.

I know a couple of bulls that left here for feeding weren't thriving right while being fed over winter. Got them sampled and both had very high levels of it.

Will double check it wth samples from cows here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Reggie. wrote: »
    Don't want to burst your bubble but it's to be wet tomorrow

Ah feck.....I was 'hoping' to pick stones tomorrow out of 5 acres that has been reclaimed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Parishlad wrote: »
    Ah feck.....I was 'hoping' to pick stones tomorrow out of 5 acres that has been reclaimed!

You poor poor fcuker.
    Think of the new grass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Lads going doing a crush on an out farm that I had half done two years ago over the next few weeks. Have the yard built and just need to hang the gates, lay blocks on one side of the race and stick down pillars and bars on the other. Need to get a head gate though and not sure what type to get or any idea of price either. Fully auto is the best I would imagine but a bit dear?? I don't think the head gate itself will be used too much so no point spending a fortune on it. Also the way it's laid out I will be loading cattle out of the race itself so need a gate that will stay open. I believe this is an issue with the semi auto gates. Would I be as well of to get one of the old type ones?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Lads going doing a crush on an out farm that I had half done two years ago over the next few weeks. Have the yard built and just need to hang the gates, lay blocks on one side of the race and stick down pillars and bars on the other. Need to get a head gate though and not sure what type to get or any idea of price either. Fully auto is the best I would imagine but a bit dear?? I don't think the head gate itself will be used too much so no point spending a fortune on it. Also the way it's laid out I will be loading cattle out of the race itself so need a gate that will stay open. I believe this is an issue with the semi auto gates. Would I be as well of to get one of the old type ones?

My preference is for the older of the self-closing types. Neck bars all the way to the ground, adjustable width on both sides, 4 pegs to adjust width, and should stay or be locked open. Plain, simple, works.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

TBH every year the army gets a little worse. Wouldn't advise anyone to join up nowadays. 7 years and counting

Have you seven years service left to do until you can leave or just seven years done so far.? Served my time with a couple of lads that got a trade thru it. They didn't mind but were still happy to get away from the day to day of the barricks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

I have the one of those automatic ones on an out farm and i dont like it.

If an animal doesent push it fully they pull back out of it and it can be very hard to get them back into it. Also it supposed to stay open but if one brushes of it , it closes behind them.

Have a couple of the old type ones that are just hinged like an ordinary gate and the head lock is closed with a rope. Much better gate imo. Bring the rope back along the side of the crush so you can close it while behind the animal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

base price, hows biddy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Oh no forking into shed around here....Thank god

Do you just shoot it in? :D

mf240 wrote: »

If an animal doesent push it fully they pull back out of it and it can be very hard to get them back into it. Also it supposed to stay open but if one brushes of it , it closes behind them.

Have a couple of the old type ones that are just hinged like an ordinary gate and the head lock is closed with a rope. Much better gate imo. Bring the rope back along the side of the crush so you can close it while behind the animal

Ya I was thinking the same myself. Going to have some job trying to put down the pillars and the gate, there's a solid sheet of rock where it's going, had gone done a foot with a jackhammer and was going to put 6-8 inches of concrete over it aswell. Hopefully it will be solid enough at that.

• Advertisement

would you need to put the pillars in sleeves that you could lift them out in an emergency, also what side is a c section done on? might be an idea to have the crush that the correct side is easily accesible.. had a section on a mental suckler a few months ago that couldnt be done in crush:mad:

whelan2 wrote: »
    would you need to put the pillars in sleeves that you could lift them out in an emergency, also what side is a c section done on? might be an idea to have the crush that the correct side is easily accesible.. had a section on a mental suckler a few months ago that couldnt be done in crush:mad:
    You will be working off their left side alright but it's highly unlikely I'd ever be doing a section there. Easy throw them in a box and bring them home for that. Was just going to set the pillars themselves and leave it so I could pull the bars out if I got stuck. A fellow down the road has a panel crush and it's a great job the way you can take off all the gates back along it but I'd have to put down way more pillars and I'd imagine it's a good bit dearer. Might put it in at home in the next couple of years though because our crush is getting a bit rickety.

You will be working off their left side alright but it's highly unlikely I'd ever be doing a section there. Easy throw them in a box and bring them home for that. Was just going to set the pillars themselves and leave it so I could pull the bars out if I got stuck. A fellow down the road has a panel crush and it's a great job the way you can take off all the gates back along it but I'd have to put down way more pillars and I'd imagine it's a good bit dearer. Might put it in at home in the next couple of years though because our crush is getting a bit rickety.
    ye, think our section was a one off, total disaster though crush wise, first section in over 25 years of sucklers, hopefully the last

ye, think our section was a one off, total disaster though crush wise, first section in over 25 years of sucklers, hopefully the last

Haven't had one here in my memory but I'd witness a few every year with the neighbours. I think I have it planned fairly well, 40ft race that I can load straight out of, smallish forcing area funnelling into it and the crush will look like an escape route to them so should be easy enough to get them up it. If they were in the yard at all one man could manage them no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

We would usually pop them in the crush , put on a good head rope , give them a shot of anesthetic and then back them out with the head rope tied to the last post of the crush .
    Knock them when they're out and tie the legs . Butcher away then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

If its on an out farm is there a chance the panel sections could get stolen?
    Times were in and all. If its not nailed down now I've gets taken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭Base price

base price, hows biddy?
    I had a look at her when I arrived. A bit better today and not dehydrated any more. OH let her out this morning as the weather was sunny. She is back in now. No milk on the other two quarters so we are putting tar on her until she dries off.
    Going to have a chat with the vet tomorrow to see how we will proceed.

moy83 wrote: »
    We would usually pop them in the crush , put on a good head rope , give them a shot of anesthetic and then back them out with the head rope tied to the last post of the crush .
    ah our one was thick from start to finish, she even had a pop at me today when i had them in yard 2 months on:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We put in a new indoor race and crush into one of the sheds a few years ago. OH's cousin is a welder and did most of the work. He put in two gates (3 bars at the head gate end) one swinging from the first post and the second from the next post. Also the first post is removable if needed. Great job when you are only running cattle through for a test or need to multi suckle a cow (caught by the head gate) as you can open the two gates and let the calves do the rest.
    Only downside is the ground is a bit higher than the outside and cattle are inclined to jump out when they go through the head gate rather than step out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Just finished trying to sort out a couple of sheep with maggots, give me mastitis cows anyday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Muckit wrote: »
    Do you just shoot it in? :D

Tip it up so no forking

visatorro wrote: »
    Have you seven years service left to do until you can leave or just seven years done so far.? Served my time with a couple of lads that got a trade thru it. They didn't mind but were still happy to get away from the day to day of the barricks

7 years left and 14 done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Tip it up so no forking

Do you pull a tarp over it?

Muckit wrote: »
    Do you pull a tarp over it?

Yeah then the following year we put it into the shed with the loader

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Yeah then the following year we put it into the shed with the loader

We tip ours in the hayshed and push it up into the corner with the loader.

Sept is the month for drawing turf with us, unless it's too black and turning to mould. Then all bets are off :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

7 years left and 14 done

Retired on a full pension at 37, Frig me, even a taoiseach couldn't get away with that!

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Retired on a full pension at 37, Frig me, even a taoiseach couldn't get away with that!

Well I will :D

Am reminded of those child soldiers you see in Rwanda, SLR and a 1000 yard stare .........

Am reminded of those child soldiers you see in Rwanda, SLR and a 1000 yard stare .........

Try meeting them

• Advertisement

Try meeting them
    No thanks, brutalized, desensatised amd hopped up on a cocktail of drugs. On a totally unrelated note , the neighbour had two lads came to his farm to work, Woofers,( willing workers on organic farms ) three years ago. African American lads. good workers and great lads, salt of the earth types . However after two months exposed to our weather, they started to fade. Kind of a reverse "farmers tan ". They reckoned they would need to holiday somewhere hot before returning home , to retain any kind of credibility!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

You poor poor fcuker.
    Think of the new grass!

I'll need to think of more than new grass to get me through this hardship! :(
    Worse still looks like I have a cracked cylinder head on the jeep. Not a happy camper!!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

10540377_730045333728725_6366859101599301186_n.jpg

No messing with the brave Clare men;)

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

I'd say he got some dirty looks up there :D fair play to him.

He's a tough hoor -BE...Takes some stick on Facebook for his slight Clare bias ;)

He's just like moy. He got lost on the way home and just ended up there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Yeh the kid drinking the cider looks shocked.!!!

He's just like moy. He got lost on the way home and just ended up there :D

Ha ha , would you believe I took the wrong yesterday evening to get me on the m50 but I wasn't long getting back where I should .Fecking satnav on the phone :rolleyes:

Ha ha , would you believe I took the wrong yesterday evening to get me on the m50 but I wasn't long getting back where I should .Fecking satnav on the phone :rolleyes:

Never use the auld sat nav. Maps, road signs and the auld chat to the local is the only way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Sure them clare supporters usually have nothing else to follow by mid july :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Not a full pension tbh. It'll be 21 parts of a 31 year pension. And he'll probably be 38. Still young enough to do something worthwhile.

• Advertisement

Never use the auld sat nav. Maps, road signs and the auld chat to the local is the only way to go

Ya I was better off when I wrote out my list of roads and turns from the map

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Not a full pension tbh. It'll be 21 parts of a 31 year pension. And he'll probably be 38. Still young enough to do something worthwhile.

I reckon he will do well if he goes out tractor valeting or the welding of course

We released the caged grey crow we were using in the Larson trap and he's managed to find a mate. So now we have a tame grey crow missing a tail and a 1/2 tame wild bird down the fields:eek:

Can't kill the fecker now, he looks too happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

.Kovu. wrote: »
    We released the caged grey crow we were using in the Larson trap and he's managed to find a mate. So now we have a tame grey crow missing a tail and a 1/2 tame wild bird down the fields:eek:

The main problem I see with that is you realeased a grey crow! Dirty feckers all them hoors are

simx wrote: »
    The main problem I see with that is you realeased a grey crow! Dirty feckers all them hoors are

I didn't expect him to find true love while walking around the fields! :D

He brought in enough while he was caged to make up for it.

He is probably going to give lessons to all the other greycrows now about how to avoid the cages :D he has seen it all now after his incarceration

He is probably going to give lessons to all the other greycrows now about how to avoid the cages :D he has seen it all now after his incarceration

naw, he'll tell them about the bounty of catfood that's inside:D

naw, he'll tell them about the bounty of catfood that's inside:D

Ya right , I can hear him now " I would go back in for all the whiskas in the world " :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

mf240 wrote: »

I'm starting to think your right. Take the money saved and put it into an anti-reversing bar. How long will the crush be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

You're a fierce man for animal welfare ;):D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement