Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    He was told to say that! :D

Ja by Joan lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Milked out wrote: »
    And the search for this infamous laying hen goes on
    have to laugh at this , we spent most of he day trying to catch the last hen we have, great crack ,kids going in through tiny holes after her, took a while but we got her there a few minutes ago , we put her in coop and 2 new friends arriving tomorrow for her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    have to laugh at this , we spent most of he day trying to catch the last hen we have, great crack ,kids going in through tiny holes after her, took a while but we got her there a few minutes ago , we put her in coop and 2 new friends arriving tomorrow for her

I use the dog for that. She loves chasing the hens. That is till they all gang up on the dog and start chasing her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

Have a cow that calved 2 days ago! I know in JULY right! But she hides the calf after the feed and I was trying to find her today and No couldn't be found! Father went out half hour later and there she was sucking away!
    I have them in an old set aside so lots of trees/rushes and bushes! Must be a natural instinct to hide her calf in that type of environment! Never heard of that before!

Have a cow that calved 2 days ago! I know in JULY right! But she hides the calf after the feed and I was trying to find her today and No couldn't be found! Father went out half hour later and there she was sucking away!
    I have them in an old set aside so lots of trees/rushes and bushes! Must be a natural instinct to hide her calf in that type of environment! Never heard of that before!
    have learnt not to look for them if cow is drank and content ,calf is somewhere. learnt it the hard way

Noticed that this year with one cow aswell. Her calf was always lying in the long grass at the edge of the field. Could be hard to see at times

Fairly even game so far

Reggie. wrote: »
    Fairly even game so far
    thank fook for offside

thank fook for offside

Money on it have ya :D

I won't be looking anymore so! You would get the feeling The cow would no you were looking for the calf :D.

Argentina are doing fairly well I think! Be Nice to see messi win it!

• Advertisement

I won't be looking anymore so! You would get the feeling The cow would no you were looking for the calf :D.

my dad drove over a calf years ago looking for it, lesson learnt if the cow aint looking for it you dont look for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Step 1- Find calf
    Step 2- Tie helium balloon around calf
    Step 3- Always find calf in the field by watching the balloon floating around above her.

Success!

(One of my friends in college had a tortoise and this was how she could put him in the garden to exercise)

The defence is well buttoned up. Germany finding it hard to get through

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Step 1- Find calf
    Step 2- Tie helium balloon around calf
    Step 3- Always find calf in the field by watching the balloon floating around above her.

Success!

(One of my friends in college had a tortoise and this was how she could put him in the garden to exercise)
    You yard must be unreal. Balloons everywhere, you breaking yourself up and starting up a dating agency for grey crows :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

just do it wrote: »
    Sounds good. Any chance of a picture?
    Here are some pics. The handy thing with the second gate is that if you have animal in the head gate you can let any others out behind it if you don't want them until you come to another one that needs to go into the head gate - if you know what I mean.

The defence is well buttoned up. Germany finding it hard to get through

Some good chances at both ends! Might open a can for the second half, it's getting tense :D any excuse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Argentina will score! I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Relief! For a moment I thought you said soup :eek:

Relief! For a moment I thought you said soup :eek:
    was tempted....kids where saying here where would they be when next world cup final is on.. funny to hear their plans... youngest lad will be off helping ben 10

• Advertisement

We have an otter in the lake next to our house :eek::D

He goes well in a soup :D

He goes well in a soup :D

Even nicer in a tikka masala. It's like a curry but a little 'otter.

I'll get my coat.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Argentina losing the plot a small bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

One of my favourite creatures. Stunning animals. A good sign that the lake is healthy :)

Oh dear god

• Advertisement

Could get dirty shortly

the mods will be after you:cool:

the mods will be after you:cool:

Ah I hear she's well in :p

Yup! Still going strong though!

At what age can a calf be put on milk replacer?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

After 24 hrs if you really had too. Once they got beastings.

Mine went on at 4-6 weeks old this year

As long as it has it's feed of colostrum, any time after that I would have thought. Although ideally a few days on a cow first :confused:

As long as it has it's feed of colostrum, any time after that I would have thought. Although ideally a few days on a cow first :confused:

Bang on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Was out for a cycle in France last week one morning.
    Up a wee booreen I found an old mobile parlour in a bit of a state in with some farm machinery.
    One sided 5 units on probably 3ft centres. What looked like orby feeders, hoppers and all, auger still in place to fill. Vacuum pump and milk pump on pto. Vacuum gates front and back. Was mad as didn't have phone to take a photo. Looked like it was a decent item in it's day. Was on a 5th wheel style chassis for drawing. Presume a milk tank would be brought separate. Never saw a mobile parlour before.

_Brian wrote: »
    Was out for a cycle in France last week one morning.
    Up a wee booreen I found an old mobile parlour in a bit of a state in with some farm machinery.
    One sided 5 units on probably 3ft centres. What looked like orby feeders, hoppers and all, auger still in place to fill. Vacuum pump and milk pump on pto. Vacuum gates front and back. Was mad as didn't have phone to take a photo. Looked like it was a decent item in it's day. Was on a 5th wheel style chassis for drawing. Presume a milk tank would be brought separate. Never saw a mobile parlour before.

Its amazing what ya trip across when ya have no camera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Its amazing what ya trip across when ya have no camera

Or the gun at times :D

Was thinking at least 2or 3 weeks myself! Thanks.

moy83 wrote: »
    Or the gun at times :D

Don't talk to me about it

Was thinking at least 2or 3 weeks myself! Thanks.

Well if a calf is on a cow full time her milk starts to change after something like 72 hours to regular milk. I'd expect this to be ok to change to replacer. We've taken in calves at a week and they thrived well.
    2-3 weeks would be great but they will do well before that.

• Advertisement

1-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Gott in Himmel! 1-0

That young player is getting the shift tonight :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Base price wrote: »
    Here are some pics. The handy thing with the second gate is that if you have animal in the head gate you can let any others out behind it if you don't want them until you come to another one that needs to go into the head gate - if you know what I mean.

Thanks BP. A tidy set up alright.

does anyone remember a thread here a few years ago on stopping cats jumping up on window sills, think who ever i was was going to put a mini electric fence on window, trying to stop cats here at the minute but i am not getting on well

does anyone remember a thread here a few years ago on stopping cats jumping up on window sills, think who ever i was was going to put a mini electric fence on window, trying to stop cats here at the minute but i am not getting on well

I have a gardening book at home that recommends a plant that can be grown in a pot that keeps them away. Bu then you need to keep the plant alive. I thought it was a bit like swapping one inconvenience for another.

i put a grid thingy on the window sill, they climbed over it, then i put another grid on top of that at a slant . They climbed up that and in the open kitchen window

Lavender or rosemary plants work

i put a window box on the window-not lavender or rosemary in it- and they kept knocking it down. With the heat and the aga on, i like to have the window open

• Advertisement

i put a window box on the window-not lavender or rosemary in it- and they kept knocking it down. With the heat and the aga on, i like to have the window open

Get one of those herb pots and plant them in it with parsley etc that should do and handy for using when cooking lamb for dinner

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement