Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

So your saying that kovu....is a cow ;)

Next year hopefully! Next year is the 'K' year for registering the pedigrees so I'll name a bull Kovu, train him and sell him in Carrick.

Then some lucky so and so can go out and watch Kovu all day long.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

So your saying that kovu....is a cow ;)

I'm pretty sure she is a good percentage cat.... she's on about cats as much as cows 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Next year hopefully! Next year is the 'K' year for registering the pedigrees so I'll name a bull Kovu, train him and sell him in Carrick.

Then some lucky so and so can go out and watch Kovu all day long.:D

He probably be as mad as a hatter...........in the best possible way of course:D

There was soooo much I could of said.....

I'm pretty sure she is a good percentage cat.... she's on about cats as much as cows 😉

*goes off to find LM bull with 'Cat' in his name
    He probably be as mad as a hatter...........in the best possible way of course:D

There was soooo much I could of said.....

:pac: I'm going to regret that post, aren't I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

whelan2 wrote: »
    have a rotten job this morning, have a heifer with a "**** " lump on her tail, the tail is swollen around it and i susprect there could be maggots there:eek::eek: going to bring them in and cut off lump, wash with hydrogen peroxide , inject with betamox and put tar on her, any other ideas.Will see if i can get a rubber ring over it. If i dont faint at the sight , i will report back:)

How did you fair out with the heifer .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,861 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

td5man wrote: »
    How did you fair out with the heifer .
    just back now... when we cut the lump off there was alamycin spray under it, we had taken a lump off her earlier in year, the tail fell off:eek: below the lump. I put peroxide on it, a ring above the cut, tar on her sides, fly pour on on her back and injected her with betamox.... there where 3 others with lumps but they where not cutting in, used about 5 pairs of milking gloves in the process.I kept her and another one in a paddock close to the yard and will inject her for a few days. No maggots in it but the smell was gross, flies everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

just back now... when we cut the lump off there was alamycin spray under it, we had taken a lump off her earlier in year, the tail fell off:eek: below the lump. I put peroxide on it, a ring above the cut, tar on her sides, fly pour on on her back and injected her with betamox.... there where 3 others with lumps but they where not cutting in, used about 5 pairs of milking gloves in the process.I kept her and another one in a paddock close to the yard and will inject her for a few days. No maggots in it but the smell was gross, flies everywhere

The tail falling off is usually the best thing, it should heal up nicely if the flies give it a chance.

This morning while testing a couple of calves, I learned that Cydectin pour on smells like Vicks vapour rub when putting it on the cows.

Kovu now smells like Vicks :o
    be careful with pour ons, they used to give me heartburn, cant be good for ya to be inhaling it,whatevers in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Wrecked tired. Awake half the night with a toothache and had an exam this morning. Just home and going horizontal for a few hours :)

Base price wrote: »
    Wrecked tired. Awake half the night with a toothache and had an exam this morning. Just home and going horizontal for a few hours :)
    the nights are very warm too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

I have a toothache with a few days as well, living on nureofen at the moment, really need to go to the dentist but I hate the thought of it :(

I have a toothache with a few days as well, living on nureofen at the moment, really need to go to the dentist but I hate the thought of it :(
    Regular diet of nurofen Plus for me. Also hate going to the dentist although the one I have is very good but like you, the idea of it :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Does anyone have a link to abbriviations for cattle breeds? Smx and so on
    I see them referenced here a lot and not fully understanding it.

Does anyone have a link to abbriviations for cattle breeds? Smx and so on
    I see them referenced here a lot and not fully understanding it.

Ask and you shall receive :D
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/200042/breedcodelist.pdf

LOL at Swiss Orig Braunvieh...... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Right lads back to bale handlers for front end loader, got a few prices just looking advice

Prodig €1000
    Quicke €900
    Conor €850

All excluding vat, thoughts? Are the prodig and quicke worth extra than the Conor? Prices alrite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

C0N0R wrote: »
    Right lads back to bale handlers for front end loader, got a few prices just looking advice

Prodig €1000
    Quicke €900
    Conor €850

All excluding vat, thoughts? Are the prodig and quicke worth extra than the Conor? Prices alrite?

From what I've seen, the prodigy is heavy but a lifetime piece of kit.
    I can't comment on the others as I've never used or seen them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Prodig €1000
    Quicke €900
    Conor €850

What about McHale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Prodig €1000
    Quicke €900
    Conor €850

Did you price Fleming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

And don't forget the weight of them implements on their own aswell

• Advertisement

simx wrote: »
    Did you price Fleming?

Tbh I wouldn't rate Fleming or Conor. Seen them yrs ago when we bought the McHale build quality wasn't near as good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Tbh I wouldn't rate Fleming or Conor. Seen them yrs ago when we bought the McHale build quality wasn't near as good

We have a Fleming here, wouldn't be overworked but has stacked a nice few over the years all the same, no complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Prodig €1000
    Quicke €900
    Conor €850

Neighbour that stacked bales for me has prodig. They BIG into thwir machinery -asking, pricing, examining etc. They very happy with after couple of years work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

You're a decade or two younger than I thought!

just do it wrote: »
    You're a decade or two younger than I thought!

Down boy ;)

Down boy ;)

Says your man :p

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    Says your man :p

I dont knoiw what you mean :D

What about McHale?
    simx wrote: »
    Did you price Fleming?

Still waiting on a price for a McHale one and couldn't get through to the fleming guy but will try again.
    Reggie. wrote: »
    And don't forget the weight of them implements on their own aswell

Its going on a 90hp landini so is the prodig going to be a bit heavy do you think?

Anyone any experience of the quickie?

Greengrass how do you find the mchale? We wouldn't be handling a massive amount but would like to buy something of quality at the right price. Have heard the fleming to be a bit on the lighter side alright.

I dont knoiw what you mean :D

Aye butter wouldn't melt!!

Still waiting on a price for a McHale one and couldn't get through to the fleming guy but will try again.

Its going on a 90hp landini so is the prodig going to be a bit heavy do you think?

Greengrass how do you find the mchale? We wouldn't be handling a massive amount but would like to buy something of quality at the right price. Have heard the fleming to be a bit on the lighter side alright.
    Had ours since 2000. Only got new bushings this year. She would have stacked 10k bales of silage a yr up to 2004 and only 800-1000 since then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Prodig €1000
    Quicke €900
    Conor €850

Do those prices include the brackets and all hoses etc? Brackets can be €100.

We have one of these handlers from Pj Coen in Mayo and find it well made, cost circa €1200 inc all brackets etc aprox 5 yrs ago. Preferred it to a rossmore or Fleming at the time. I'll put up a link later from dd. mite be a dealer near you.

http://www.donedeal.ie/balers-for-sale/hydraulic-bale-handler-heavy-duty/7127501

• Advertisement

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Do those prices include the brackets and all hoses etc? Brackets can be €100.

We have one of these handlers from Pj Coen in Mayo and find it well made, cost €1200 inc all brackets etc aprox 5 yrs ago. Preferred it to a rossmore or Fleming at the time. I'll put up a link later from dd. mite be a dealer near you.

That is a good question, and one im not sure of the answer of to be honest! Back to the phone! I know the Conor one does.

Just checked out all the weights,
    Prodig 200kg
    Quicke 195kg
    Fleming 170kg
    McHale 160k

That is a good question, and one im not sure of the answer of to be honest! Back to the phone! I know the Conor one does.

Prodig 200kg
    Quicke 195kg
    Fleming 170kg
    McHale 160k
    Not a whole lot of weight difference there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Yeah, great job of a Saturday night, ramble home with a few pints of stout on board, wake herself up, hell for leather for 3 or 4 mins, roll off, sleep.
    Great job! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Yeah, great job of a Saturday night, ramble home with a few pints of stout on board, wake herself up, hell for leather for 3 or 4 mins, roll off, sleep.
    Great job! :-)

Where u going with your 3or 4 mins one minute flat job doneB-)

naughto wrote: »

The poor wives. I give mine her moneys worth. :)

What she pays you....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

When she let's u

naughto wrote: »

Bit longer with a fill of porter on board. And it might take a min or more to pin her down :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

We had our handler from PJ Coen on a landini blizzard 85 for 2 years. No bother to it. It looks like there is less than 50kg weight difference between most handlers, according to some post above, that would not be enough to make one too heavy IMO. Bales could vary in weight by 2-300kg in any case so not worth getting excited about 50kg IMO.

Here's a link to the handler we have

http://www.donedeal.ie/balers-for-sale/hydraulic-bale-handler-heavy-duty/7127501

Prodig 200kg
    Quicke 195kg
    Fleming 170kg
    McHale 160k
    No real differance in weight there. I'd go quality with the prodig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Thank you kovu, downloading now

We have the Quickie Q45 loader. I can't fault it in any way. It's a good loader.

OH called the vet to come to see Biddy the cow this morning. Vet removed the teat of the bad quarter and the teat of the first infected quarter to help let the infection out. The quarter is twice its normal size. I bought sudocream on sat to rub into it as I was afraid of the skin chaffing against her leg.
    Vet injected her and left Betamox, more Dexameth and also suggested getting a heat type cream from the agri store to help reduce the swelling. Anyone know what the cream is called as when OH went to the agri store they did not anything like that. I was wondering if something like Deep Heat would work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Golden udder or one of those type products. We use stuff called vaccadine , not sure on spelling, on cows with swelling in the udder and find it good, we get it from osmonds

OH called the vet to come to see Biddy the cow this morning. Vet removed the teat of the bad quarter and the teat of the first infected quarter to help let the infection out. The quarter is twice its normal size. I bought sudocream on sat to rub into it as I was afraid of the skin chaffing against her leg.
    Vet injected her and left Betamox, more Dexameth and also suggested getting a heat type cream from the agri store to help reduce the swelling. Anyone know what the cream is called as when OH went to the agri store they did not anything like that. I was wondering if something like Deep Heat would work.
    cheno unction.... is t still on the market? otherwise osmonds have vaccadyne, or theres uddermint

Could you give a mastitis tube to her?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Used Normint it's a peppermint cream, stinks to high heaven but helps

To be honest GG I doubt a mastitis tube would make a difference. She has got more antibiotics in the last few days then I care to think about.
    I never thought of cheno unction but it does make sense as it contains something like winter green.
    Unfortunately it is a matter of keeping her alive at this stage :(

Just watching banshee here. Great show

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

cheno unction.... is t still on the market? otherwise osmonds have vaccadyne, or theres uddermint

Cheno Unction - a quare name but great stuff !
    That was a saying doing the rounds in the village here a few years ago :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement