Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Reggie. wrote: »
    Forrest gump was released 20 years ago this month :(

What was he in for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    a farm is a very dangerous place. I dread anything happening to the kids on the farm.

That it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

a farm is a very dangerous place. I dread anything happening to the kids on the farm.

Dreadful stuff.
    I said before I landed to a farm one day to service a machine and their 3 yo was missing. I said I'd come back but he asked would I stay and help. He asked me to check a few field drains and TBH I was sick doing it.
    Young lad was found safe and well in a machinery shed playing away oblivious, but what those parents went through was awful till he was found.

Another customer crossed a 4yo old himself with tractor. Just awful having to go on after something like that. He wasted away himself after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,861 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

That it is
    its the totally unexpected , god love any family that have lost a child on farm

I thought I crossed the dog one time and that nearly did me. Not gonna think of little herself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

_Brian wrote: »
    Dreadful stuff.
    I said before I landed to a farm one day to service a machine and their 3 yo was missing. I said I'd come back but he asked would I stay and help. He asked me to check a few field drains and TBH I was sick doing it.
    Young lad was found safe and well in a machinery shed playing away oblivious, but what those parents went through was awful till he was found.

Another customer crossed a 4yo old himself with tractor. Just awful having to go on after something like that. He wasted away himself after that.

IFA have nominated 21stjuly as farm safety day so go round your farm on Sat with a critical eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,861 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

rangler1 wrote: »
    IFA have nominated 21stjuly as farm safety day so go round your farm on Sat with a critical eye
    every day is farm safety day here.. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

it is, and certain times its best keep kids away altogether if ya can, i know its not easy all the time,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

It at stage now where everyone knew someone or knows someone that lost family member in accident. Puts weather, prices, regulations and dare i say it - the issues being raised on Forum Healthcheck- into perspective.
    There a lot of families would swap their problems for ours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

C0N0R wrote: »
    Can you hold onto it please, ive 30 acres that im contemplating mowing for bales!

Turned into a beaut of a day herw after from about 10.30 on. If I had a dirty tail I would have maggotted it was that warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

If I had a dirty tail I would have maggotted it was that warm.

smiley-shocked032.gif

Ohhhh baby. In bed early for once. New sheets and all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Turned into a beaut of a day herw after from about 10.30 on. If I had a dirty tail I would have maggotted it was that warm.

Wasnt to bad, dodging showers a bit bit once they blew away came fine. Knocked 22 acres and kicked it out a good morning another kick and she'll be rite as rain, fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Long day on every front.

You need it.

Sweet dreams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Emm we'll say no more

• Advertisement

Long day on every front.

You need it.

Sweet dreams

4 miler does that to ya :)

Farrell wrote: »
    Emm we'll say no more

Not what your thinking ya animal :D

Not what your thinking ya animal :D

yup ;);)

Right I'm outta here

that time alright, gn all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

An yer online! Are you crazy man? ... ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Reggie, hello Reggie!

REGGIE, TURN OFF THE CAMERA ON THE LAPTOP!!!!

(Haven't seen it done that way before................

The man's an animal!)

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Truly one of lifes greatest pleasures! Along with a fine woman to help you mess them up of course. Now if I could just find one who would change me sheets for me.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

4 miler does that to ya :)

Ah now lad, there was a time when you'd do that before breakfast with 20k on your back ;)

Damn right too.

One place I worked had a mirror just outside the cleanroom where we would degown and disguard gloves and suits.
    Slogan at the bottom of the mirror read;
    "This is the person most responsible for your safety today"
    Simple but made you think.
    I think a lot of farmers could do with a similar mirror to remind them.

Graveyards are full of farmers that thought that

Graveyards are full of farmers that thought that

I'd say your wrong there.
    The graveyards are more full of lads who never thought safety.

Safety IS a daily task. I'm all for an awareness day, but it's when lads are flat out trying to beat te weather, or just to get the tank emptied before dark, or whatever that they need to be thinking safety.

One days safety leaves 364 other days, do we just leave these to chance ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

I know farm safety is important but that's all ettg is about nowadays. Same old drivel.
    Ye have to make sure machines your using are fit for purpose and keep yer mind on your work.
    Why can't they do something the same as country fil? Very informative for urban and rural a like.
    Nothing new on ettg last few yrs

I know farm safety is important but that's all ettg is about nowadays. Same old drivel.
    Ye have to make sure machines your using are fit for purpose and keep yer mind on your work.
    Why can't they do something the same as country fil? Very informative for urban and rural a like.
    Nothing new on ettg last few yrs
    I'd agree. There was a time I'd make an effort to see it but not any more. I'll add the same about most TV to the extent we have no TV provider nor ariel any more.

just do it wrote: »
    Ah now lad, there was a time when you'd do that before breakfast with 20k on your back ;)

I'm getting old

• Advertisement

greysides wrote: »
    Reggie, hello Reggie!

REGGIE, TURN OFF THE CAMERA ON THE LAPTOP!!!!

(Haven't seen it done that way before................

The man's an animal!)

Ya never seen it done that way :eek:

Stick with me and ill teach ya a few tricks and you'll go far my friend :D

I'm getting old

Good morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Ya never seen it done that way :eek:

Stick with me and ill teach ya a few tricks and you'll go far my friend :D

Ya have to do things differently when you're in a boys club like the army

Ya have to do things differently when you're in a boys club like the army

Spooning in a trench. Hey don't dis it till you've tried it :D

Good morning!
    Were ya having a lie in or something JDI

I'd say your wrong there.
    The graveyards are more full of lads who never thought safety.

Safety IS a daily task. I'm all for an awareness day, but it's when lads are flat out trying to beat te weather, or just to get the tank emptied before dark, or whatever that they need to be thinking safety.

One days safety leaves 364 other days, do we just leave these to chance ?

Aware ness is not out there, child drowning, farmers asphyxiating looking at agitating, cows attacking farmers,......no one is rushing in those incidents.
    We're now the most careless sector

Were ya having a lie in or something JDI

Was just in from a swim out to the island and back ;) Pulling a telephone pole behind me as well of course :D

Aware ness is not out there, child drowning, farmers asphyxiating looking at agitating, cows attacking farmers,......no one is rushing in those incidents.

Its not that really rangler1. We just happen to be in close proximity to very dangerous situations most of our working day. More than other occupations. So by the law of statistics alone there will be accidents.

Most jobs aren't as close to family areas as farms are. Such as having kids nearby and all

My point is that a one day awareness is a great idea. But safety is something that needs to be thought of every day like Whelan said.

After spending years working in safety the statistics would support that more accidents happen when people are rushing and not being careful.

Proper safety is a culture, a way of thinking. We need to get farmers constantly thinking "what could go wrong here?" And "is this the safest way of doing this?" In a working environment with a safety culture this becomes second nature to people.

• Advertisement

Was just in from a swim out to the island and back ;) Pulling a telephone pole behind me as well of course :D

Ah nice warm up. ..what was the main exercise :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Went down field this morning at 5, cows roaring everywhere thought they were ours.
    The neighbours on the hill across from me. Swear they were nearly dead with all the roaring that was going on

Its not that really rangler1. We just happen to be in close proximity to very dangerous situations most of our working day. More than other occupations. So by the law of statistics alone there will be accidents.

Most jobs aren't as close to family areas as farms are. Such as having kids nearby and all

Many workers in manufacturing work with just as dangerous situations, many work in far more hostile environments.
    However in manufacturing safety has been pushed forward now for decades. The result is that proper procedures and equipment design/modifications have seriously reduced incidents. Safety just isn't being prioritised on farms. In manufacturing it's not uncommon for a random employee to be chosen by a manager/safety officer to audit the workplace with a fresh set of eyes - weekly in some places. How many farms can honestly say they do a safety walk round monthly never mind weekly. AND then do something about what they see.

In manufacturing if an employee sees and raises a safety concern then there is a responsibility on the employer to act to rectify. The action may just be an assessment that no physical work is required, but they muse act on the employee information.

I completely agree in your point in the uniqueness of having the family home in the workplace, this is a full time challenge for families with young children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Proper safety is a culture, a way of thinking. We need to get farmers constantly thinking "what could go wrong here?" And "is this the safest way of doing this?" In a working environment with a safety culture this becomes second nature to people.

You have hit the nail on the head there. To be honist it is only when I worked in a completely diffrent working environment to farming where safty was drilled into us every day like a broken reckord that I now see the farmyard in a diffrent way to befoure.

It's the little things, that we see every day and don't bat an eyelid at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I completely agree in your point in the uniqueness of having the family home in the workplace, this is a full time challenge for families with young children.

And on NewsTalk as well!

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    And on NewsTalk as well!

??

• Advertisement

Many workers in manufacturing work with just as dangerous situations, many work in far more hostile environments.
    However in manufacturing safety has been pushed forward now for decades. The result is that proper procedures and equipment design/modifications have seriously reduced incidents. Safety just isn't being prioritised on farms. In manufacturing it's not uncommon for a random employee to be chosen by a manager/safety officer to audit the workplace with a fresh set of eyes - weekly in some places. How many farms can honestly say they do a safety walk round monthly never mind weekly. AND then do something about what they see.

In manufacturing if an employee sees and raises a safety concern then there is a responsibility on the employer to act to rectify. The action may just be an assessment that no physical work is required, but they muse act on the employee information.

Agree with ya but most farms are one man shows most of the time so maybe that's why lads don't bother with the safety walk I'd say as it's just themselves they have to worry about. They don't be thinking of any visitors or any uninvited guests

??

Sorry there, wrong post!

Agree with ya but most farms are one man shows most of the time so maybe that's why lads don't bother with the safety walk I'd say as it's just themselves they have to worry about. They don't be thinking of any visitors or any uninvited guests

This is a problem. They don't bother looking after themselves. This isn't a criticism as they were never trained nor educated to do this. It just wasn't a culture thing in farming down the years.

This is a problem. They don't bother looking after themselves. This isn't a criticism as they were never trained nor educated to do this. It just wasn't a culture thing in farming down the years.

Have to say it's the older generation. Most lads my age are very conscious of dangers. I often said to the older farmers move this or this would be safer but only got , that would take too long or I'm it's always been done this way. Younger farmers are far better educated so hopefully the situation will improve in time

Have to say it's the older generation. Most lads my age are very conscious of dangers. I often said to the older farmers move this or this would be safer but only got , that would take too long or I'm it's always been done this way. Younger farmers are far better educated so hopefully the situation will improve in time

Mostly its very simple things, like a gate or a tractor wheel left leaning against a wall, deadly for kids who love to climb. A elderly bachelor or anyone who hasn't kids around simply don't notice, cause it would never enter their heads that anyone would dream of climbing up that old gate.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement