Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Mostly its very simple things, like a gate or a tractor wheel left leaning against a wall, deadly for kids who love to climb. A elderly bachelor or anyone who hasn't kids around simply don't notice, cause it would never enter their heads that anyone would dream of climbing up that old gate.

Different times

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I'd suggest anyone with a metal crush check the inside-bottom part of the supporting posts. Most older and even some relatively new are scarily worn through. I've seen a bunch of dairy cows with their heads all out the one side, pick up a length of crush and walk off with it.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,861 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Mostly its very simple things, like a gate or a tractor wheel left leaning against a wall, deadly for kids who love to climb. A elderly bachelor or anyone who hasn't kids around simply don't notice, cause it would never enter their heads that anyone would dream of climbing up that old gate.
    yes the gate one is a good example, always lie on flat or if standing tie a rope on them to attach them to something.... a farmyard is not a playground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

greysides wrote: »
    I've seen a bunch of dairy cows with their heads all out the one side, pick up a length of crush and walk off with it.

Thats kinda funny :D

Thats kinda funny :D

You could imagine it.... right ladies on the count of 3 1....2....3......lift :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I started farming just over 4 years ago. I would be scared to count up exactly what i have spent on a small small hobby farm

Rewired 3 sheds including new 10 square armour cable in the ground (€2500)

new calf shed so i wasnt lugging milk and feeders about - Safety was no1

changed a mixing point in the slatted shed so the tractor and driver could be outside not inside. probable 500euro .

chainsaw trousers, gloves, wellies and helmet €450

full face mask, muffs, googles etc for grinding/cutting steel or concrete.

New pto and a cover or 2.

Hung a gate or 2 and new mains fencing along road so cattle wount break onto road.

next 2 is a good cattle crush and change the tractor and get a tractor with a loader. My back is getting fecked (Non farm related)

I started farming just over 4 years ago. I would be scared to count up exactly what i have spent on a small small hobby farm

Rewired 3 sheds including new 10 square armour cable in the ground (€2500)

new calf shed so i wasnt lugging milk and feeders about - Safety was no1

changed a mixing point in the slatted shed so the tractor and driver could be outside not inside. probable 500euro .

chainsaw trousers, gloves, wellies and helmet €450

full face mask, muffs, googles etc for grinding/cutting steel or concrete.

New pto and a cover or 2.

Hung a gate or 2 and new mains fencing along road so cattle wount break onto road.

next 2 is a good cattle crush and change the tractor and get a tractor with a loader. My back is getting fecked (Non farm related)

Same as that....can be a nice money pit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Reggie. wrote: »
    Same as that....can be a nice money pit

Only if you let it , I spend shag all on the farm . I just dont have the disposable income for it .
    It amazes me to see most of the suckler farms around here that have top notch gear and facilities when we all know the price of beef . For people looking over the wall it must be hard for them to believe us when we are crying about the low margins in farming

moy83 wrote: »
    Only if you let it , I spend shag all on the farm . I just dont have the disposable income for it .
    It amazes me to see most of the suckler farms around here that have top notch gear and facilities when we all know the price of beef . For people looking over the wall it must be hard for them to believe us when we are crying about the low margins in farming

Yeah but I had to build up from scratch started up with a blank site two years ago. The spending ain't too bad now as I've it fairly set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Farm Family committee are constantly pushing farm safety awareness, but the deaths keep happening, so they decided to designate a day and go all out....sure if it saves one life....loads of women farming but it's the men that's careless and killing themselves.
    When I was growing up there was never much weedkiller used here, it was always spade, hoe or whatever, but my brother 19 yrs old was doing some voluntary work. He was given an knapsack sprayer full of paraquat to spray paths, the sprayer was leaking and he was wearing just a Tshirt and it was absorbed through the skin, you can guess the rest...waste of a life

• Advertisement

off now to look for a missing fr calf, they where in a square field fenced all around with 4 strands of barbred wire, strange for 1 to go off on its own. Kids going to help too

whelan2 wrote: »
    off now to look for a missing fr calf, they where in a square field fenced all around with 4 strands of barbred wire, strange for 1 to go off on its own. Kids going to help too

In that heat....good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Long day on every front.

You need it.

Sweet dreams

jayus:eek: are you the reason he had to change the sheets

jayus:eek: are you the reason he had to change the sheets

God damn it .....river they're on to us ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Happy hunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

rangler1 wrote: »
    Farm Family committee are constantly pushing farm safety awareness, but the deaths keep happening, so they decided to designate a day and go all out....sure if it saves one life....loads of women farming but it's the men that's careless and killing themselves.
    When I was growing up there was never much weedkiller used here, it was always spade, hoe or whatever, but my brother 19 yrs old was doing some voluntary work. He was given an knapsack sprayer full of paraquat to spray paths, the sprayer was leaking and he was wearing just a Tshirt and it was absorbed through the skin, you can guess the rest...waste of a life

Jeez rangler that's awful. Unfortunately sprays weren't giving enough respect in the early decades of their use.

Hadn't reallythought aboutit before but you can't really complain about new rules for sprayers when you think of the potential harm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Rangler my deepest sympathys on your loss. The number of people I have seen on various 'voluntary' groups, tidy towns etc using spraying equipment without PPE is gobsmacking. Often the 'volunteers' are given no choice, no training and yet are expected to handle and mix heavy duty sprays. It beggars belief imo that this is ever allowed.

just do it wrote: »
    Jeez rangler that's awful. Unfortunately sprays weren't giving enough respect in the early decades of their use.

Hadn't reallythought aboutit before but you can't really complain about new rules for sprayers when you think of the potential harm

I have to admit I'm terrible when it comes to spraying. I'll just throw on the knapsack and work away for a half hour. Never bother with masks or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

I have to admit I'm terrible when it comes to spraying. I'll just throw on the knapsack and work away for a half hour. Never bother with masks or anything

Are ya ****ing mad always wear a mask and gloves the amount of apes ya see slowly try to kill themselves with spray is scary

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Quad sprayers are v.bad too.
    Sent off one day when I was on placement up the hill to spray grazon around ditches.
    Windy day and kept getting face fulls of spray.
    Thought nothing more of it.
    Next morning I couldn't breath. Doctor said I was lucky not to have fcuked my lungs completely.
    There were all raw and burnt inside.
    Took a month to recover

Got a bad doing on my back with sorgene years ago. Burnt the bejaysus out of me. Always wear waterproofs now even in the heat we have now. Still looking for calf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

I said wrote: »
    Are ya ****ing mad always wear a mask and gloves the amount of apes ya see slowly try to kill themselves with spray is scary

I was spraying all day tuesday with both the quad sprayer and handlance and tractor sprayer in the evening and wearing no PPE but a pair of gloves. splashed myself twice with spray and felt a serious heat around my neck where it landed on my skin. Ran in and showered but now on the hunt for ppe which is light enough to wear but still gives protection. Heard of a man here last week that was spot spraying his garden and wind changed and he breathed in a few lungfulls of vapour and took a cardiac arrest within 2 hours and died - only 53.
    Reminds me of an uncle of the fathers who was clearing old scrub from a hill where they would spray off whins and briars, the uncle would walk behind the sprayer and lift the booms over the big whins or piles of briars while wearing nothing but trainers and shirt and trousers while smoking a park drive. In the evening time his eyes would be like something you had rubbed a raw chilli into, and they did this for weeks on end. This was when things like paraquat were kept in empty coke bottles lying about sheds where children played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

I was spraying all day tuesday with both the quad sprayer and handlance and tractor sprayer in the evening and wearing no PPE but a pair of gloves. splashed myself twice with spray and felt a serious heat around my neck where it landed on my skin. Ran in and showered but now on the hunt for ppe which is light enough to wear but still gives protection. Heard of a man here last week that was spot spraying his garden and wind changed and he breathed in a few lungfulls of vapour and took a cardiac arrest within 2 hours and died - only 53.
    Reminds me of an uncle of the fathers who was clearing old scrub from a hill where they would spray off whins and briars, the uncle would walk behind the sprayer and lift the booms over the big whins or piles of briars while wearing nothing but trainers and shirt and trousers while smoking a park drive. In the evening time his eyes would be like something you had rubbed a raw chilli into, and they did this for weeks on end. This was when things like paraquat were kept in empty coke bottles lying about sheds where children played.

These suits can be got in most Agri stores. There fairly cheap and can be used a couple of times for the likes of nap sack work, grand and light and because there white not bad in the likes of this heat...

https://www.spaldings.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?SubcatID=100&GroupID=9618&tree=1&CorpArea=AG

found calf, alls ok, off now to do the work i should have been doing this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Zr105 wrote: »
    These suits can be got in most Agri stores. There fairly cheap and can be used a couple of times for the likes of nap sack work, grand and light and because there white not bad in the likes of this heat...

https://www.spaldings.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?SubcatID=100&GroupID=9618&tree=1&CorpArea=AG

This guy quite down-to-earth

https://www.youtube.com/user/OntarioPesticideEd/videos

• Advertisement

found calf, alls ok, off now to do the work i should have been doing this morning

Excellent. In the long grass or ditch.

Excellent. In the long grass or ditch.
    in another group, count was wrong in other group, see we all make mistakes, pity i walked miles before i realised:cool:

in another group, count was wrong in other group, see we all make mistakes, pity i walked miles before i realised:cool:

Blame the kids. It's always easier

flies are mad on heifer that lost her tail the other day, i put more tar on her, is there anything else to stop them, she get pour on too. Would some sheep dip work or is that a no no

flies are mad on heifer that lost her tail the other day, i put more tar on her, is there anything else to stop them, she get pour on too. Would some sheep dip work or is that a no no

There's talk of garlic links for cattle. Supposed to keep flies away but that could be biting flies

• Advertisement

Contractor rang this morning saying he was on his way to spread lime, bringing the big Bredal spreader with 12t lime pulled by a Case Puma 230, I asked him had he the front weights on and he says no, i told him to go back and get them or he'll never make it to the field.
    Still had to give him a pull every load with a 160hp Valtra, so needed 400hp to get to the field. :eek::eek: At least it's done now and not waiting to september when its likely too wet to travel on the ground. 2t acre needed according to my soil analysis.

Contractor rang this morning saying he was on his way to spread lime, bringing the big Bredal spreader with 12t lime pulled by a Case Puma 230, I asked him had he the front weights on and he says no, i told him to go back and get them or he'll never make it to the field.
    Still had to give him a pull every load with a 160hp Valtra, so needed 400hp to get to the field. :eek::eek: At least it's done now and not waiting to september when its likely too wet to travel on the ground. 2t acre needed according to my soil analysis.

Field that wet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Lavender oil is very good as are some essential oils diluted with water. (eucalyptus, peppermint, tee-tree etc)

I used to use that on horses though, not cattle!

Field that wet?

No GG, lane that steep!

No GG, lane that steep!

Jaysus lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Lavender oil is very good as are some essential oils diluted with water. (eucalyptus, peppermint, tee-tree etc)

I used to use that on horses though, not cattle!

++1 notting is better than that stuff. Perfectly safe to put on yourself to.

Jaysus lad

Ah Reggie you'd know about it if you had to run up it with a full pack on your back, parts of it are 50% gradient of loose stone with nothing but the sea hundreds of feet below you. Oh the joys of youth when driving a 165 with a dodgy multi power, one side brake and full silage trailer down it!! You soon LEARN to drive around this part of the world.

Ah Reggie you'd know about it if you had to run up it with a full pack on your back, parts of it are 50% gradient of loose stone with nothing but the sea hundreds of feet below you. Oh the joys of youth when driving a 165 with a dodgy multi power, one side brake and full silage trailer down it!! You soon LEARN to drive around this part of the world.
    I've forgotten how to drive on hills now. Farm in Wicklow had a steep one on it. Could never mow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Benson & Hedges

Yeah DONT CLUTCH going down :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Some steep ground around here too. Fellow says to me one time "it's like it's hanging up on the wall, you'll have to get cattle with short front legs."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Whelan2 wrote:

Benson & Hedges

That Heifer doesn't smoke as far as I know ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Grain price is on the way up. Sheebadog may come back. Ukraine is going to go into meltdown, passenger plane with up to 300 on boards was shot down buy either the ruskies or the ruskie rebels

Grain price is on the way up. Sheebadog may come back. Ukraine is going to go into meltdown, passenger plane with up to 300 on boards was shot down buy either the ruskies or the ruskie rebels

Was watching this since it happened. Not confirmed yet if shot down I believe. The incident the other day had things on edge over there. Thought it was nearer the polish - Russia border than Ukraine - Russia border.

was making a cup of tea before milking, lifted up lid on hot plate on aga to put kettle on but there was something behind the lid stopping it from going up full,the lid came down on my hand against the kettle. Burnt my hand. Took the skin off the side of my hand, its very sore, who knew making a cup of tea could be so dangerous:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

was making a cup of tea before milking, lifted up lid on hot plate on aga to put kettle on but there was something behind the lid stopping it from going up full,the lid came down on my hand against the kettle. Burnt my hand. Took the skin off the side of my hand, its very sore, who knew making a cup of tea could be so dangerous:cool:

Ouch, any kind of a burn is dirty whelan, so I recall this aga tried to cause harm to you or someone else before? Possessed cooker :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

yes the gate one is a good example, always lie on flat or if standing tie a rope on them to attach them to something.... a farmyard is not a playground

Is tying up kids not frowned upon nowadays?

Muckit wrote: »
    Is tying up kids not frowned upon nowadays?
    sssssh dont tell anyone

Jaysus lad

Now Reggie, if you did a 4 miler in AG's place then I might be impressed ;)

• Advertisement

Great craic in winter no doubt when the roads get icy! If I remember rightly from a photo a good while you've also got views to the sea - was that yours?

I've a friend who lives out in the moors in North England and they all drive 4wd estates or jeeps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement