Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

just do it wrote: »
    Now Reggie, if you did a 4 miler in AG's place then I might be impressed ;)

After you ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Reggie. wrote: »

That's right, you'd be a long way after me :D

(says I as I suck in the mid-rife!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

You would be sucking in the fumes of my Patrol if I had to do it :D

That's right, you'd be a long way after me :D

(says I as I suck in the mid-rife!)

You ain't the only one anyways
    it's only hard for 2 miles then it's DOWNHILL :D

You ain't the only one anyways
    it's only hard for 2 miles then it's DOWNHILL :D

Ah, but I'll definitely beat you in the downhill rolling race :D

• Advertisement

Well got 99 bales off the 9-10ac reseed 48 days after first cut. And the rain held off, phew!

Delighted with the reseed - best investment on the farm by a distance

Well got 99 bales off the 9-10ac reseed 48 days after first cut. And the rain held off, phew!

Delighted with the reseed - best investment on the farm by a distance

I stacked bales for a man last week. 5 acres....how many chopped bales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

38 (I have no idea)

.Kovu. wrote: »
    38 (I have no idea)

Nope if I didn't stack them I wouldn't have believed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

65. Is there a prize?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Was thinking of getting my strongest heifers freeze branded and it reminded me of story I told by freeze brander a few years ago.
    He was branding cows for a farmer in the mid nineties for the first time - before the yellow tags were introduced. Started at 1, 2, 3 and so on. Neighbouring man called and thought this was a great idea and asked him would he brand cows for him even though he only had two. Not a problem says brander.
    He calls to the neighbour and said I suppose I'll just put 1 and 2 on these cows.
    Ah jaysus no says yer man put 136 on one and 258 (or whatever) on the other.
    Why those numbers he asks
    Well, if I walking my cows along road and someone sees me with cows with 1 and 2 on them they presume I only got two cows. When they see them now they will say that farmer there must have a hell of a cows, look how high he is in the numbers.:D

Will say 5 just to be odd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

None were chopped :D

or 15 av x 5 , 75?

Was thinking of getting my strongest heifers freeze branded and it reminded me of story I told by freeze brander a few years ago.
    He was branding cows for a farmer in the mid nineties for the first time - before the yellow tags were introduced. Started at 1, 2, 3 and so on. Neighbouring man called and thought this was a great idea and asked him would he brand cows for him even though he only had two. Not a problem says brander.
    He calls to the neighbour and said I suppose I'll just put 1 and 2 on these cows.
    Ah jaysus no says yer man put 136 on one and 258 (or whatever) on the other.
    Why those numbers he asks
    Well, if I walking my cows along road and someone sees me with cows with 1 and 2 on them they presume I only got two cows. When they see them now they will say that farmer there must have a hell of a cows, look how high he is in the numbers.:D

I know a lad with 2 vans , he has van no.s on the door say 34 and 29 . He changes the every now and then to try and cod people into thinking he has a fleet :D

That a boy Charlie. ....83 bales

Bulk alright but not quality. Perfect I suppose if you're feeding dry cows for the winter

65. Is there a prize?

Nope just keeping ya occupied

Bulk alright but not quality. Perfect I suppose if you're feeding dry cows for the winter

Seen it before it was cut and not much of it had headed out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,861 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

anyone watching the programme on the Shelbourne hotel:eek::eek:

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    anyone watching the programme on the Shelbourne hotel:eek::eek:

Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,861 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Nope
    brother got married there few yars ago, think it was 260 for the 5 of us for the night, i would have slept in a cubicle shed, totally wasted on me... breakfast was 35 euro if you walked in off the street.

brother got married there few yars ago, think it was 260 for the 5 of us for the night, i would have slept in a cubicle shed, totally wasted on me... breakfast was 35 euro if you walked in off the street.

Classy lady :D

Tbat not fair. They were charlie's bales:rolleyes:

Lads what's the story with the High King of Connaught

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Just having the last few holiday beers here in Killarney, was at the Munster Fleadh earlier and it was a bit of crack.
    We've had a great run of weather both here and France, this will be the 20th night away in our caravan. Time to get back and see some stock and mow the lawn me thinks.

_Brian wrote: »
    Just having the last few holiday beers here in Killarney, was at the Munster Fleadh earlier and it was a bit of crack.
    We've had a great run of weather both here and France, this will be the 20th night away in our caravan. Time to get back and see some stock and mow the lawn me thinks.

You'd a great run of it. The weather really makes all the difference.

Still, even the savage loves his native shore!

Ya going to the all ireland fleadh Brian,n

Ya going to the all ireland fleadh Brian,n

No the Fleadh wouldn't be my thing at all. Didn't even know it was on here till we landed this week.
    But both girls do irish dancing so they loved it.

Me, I was happier hiking up Carrauntoohill earlier. Obviously not to the top but we made it up to the lake at the base and back in two and half hours with a six year old, 8k round trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Is clay pigeon shooting on grazing land bad. Shot or clays. Just a few times a year?
    Anyone here do it

satstheway wrote: »
    Is clay pigeon shooting on grazing land bad. Shot or clays. Just a few times a year?
    Anyone here do it

I think it wouldn't be ideal. As well as the broken clays you'd have the wadding to account for. I'd be afraid stock might chew/choke on them.

Anyone here do it

I wouldn't like the plastic wads in the grass or all the broken clays either really
    You would never get it all picked up

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

This is what I was thinking too.
    Be ok on a rough hill though.

This is what I was thinking too.
    Be ok on a rough hill though.

It would make no difference if cattle were grazing it , they could still eat the plastic wad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Woohoo - tomorrow is my last day of exams :)
    I have to do an on-site assessment off a SME somewhere in the Leinster region in the morning. It maybe a first time audit or a repeat audit for the company or community group etc.
    After I do the audit, I have to hand in my assessment to the auditor and then she/he will conduct the official audit. The auditor will then compare my audit with the official one :eek:
    I have to achieve a minimum of 80% with the official audit in order to pass the final.
    I should know by lunch time tomorrow......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Sold 4 this evening in local mart. Lm bull 11 months, 415kg - 1,000. 3 heifers all lm, 370kg-780, 350kg-755 & 290kg-735. Heifers were 12-14 months and apart from one were from our worst cows. They will calve once more and will then be replaced by some heifers We are letting up this year. Tried to get heifers to eat nuts from the calve feeder but the feckers would never go into it!!!

Very best of good luck B P. I hope ya get a good run of it.

Base price wrote: »
    I have to do an on-site assessment off a SME somewhere in the Leinster region in the morning. It maybe a first time audit or a repeat audit for the company or community group etc.
    After I do the audit, I have to hand in my assessment to the auditor and then she/he will conduct the official audit. The auditor will then compare my audit with the official one :eek:
    I have to achieve a minimum of 80% with the official audit in order to pass the final.

Best of luck , I'm sure you'll walk it Base price

Best of luck to you. You have my support for what it's worth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

The very best of luck Base Price!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Best of luck. Exams are never much fun.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Seen it before it was cut and not much of it had headed out

'tis at times like this you'd miss Bob!

Fair deuce and best of luck Base Price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Some thunder here and rain I'll need arm bands tomorrow!! Hope the cattle are ok! ☔️⚡️

Some thunder here and rain I'll need arm bands tomorrow!! Hope the cattle are ok! ☔️⚡️

Hasn't started here yet but it's brewing and lightening is flashing close by. Got up to take down a temporary fence as I couldn't face into it at 6 when it's bound to be lashing. Dogs were tetchy which is a sure sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Hasn't started here yet but it's brewing and lightening is flashing close by. Got up to take down a temporary fence as I couldn't face into it at 6 when it's bound to be lashing. Dogs were tetchy which is a sure sign.

Ha your mad but better off.
    gonna get up now and check all stock! Power gone so no fence, joys of farming, but I wouldn't change it for the world

Best if luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

moy83 wrote: »
    I know a lad with 2 vans , he has van no.s on the door say 34 and 29 . He changes the every now and then to try and cod people into thinking he has a fleet :D

At lambing time a neighbour of mine starts spraying the numbers of the ewes lambed at 301 to make everyone think he has a big flock of ewes, when he has only about 50. All the neighbours have a good oul laugh at it now. :D

At lambing time a neighbour of mine starts spraying the numbers of the ewes lambed at 301 to make everyone think he has a big flock of ewes, when he has only about 50. All the neighbours have a good oul laugh at it now. :D
    These tricks fool no one alright :D

was making a cup of tea before milking, lifted up lid on hot plate on aga to put kettle on but there was something behind the lid stopping it from going up full,the lid came down on my hand against the kettle. Burnt my hand. Took the skin off the side of my hand, its very sore, who knew making a cup of tea could be so dangerous:cool:

How is your hand this morning. Still sore enough I would think.
    _Brian wrote: »

Back to normality yet? Did grass on fields grow as well as on lawn?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement