Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

just do it wrote: »
    Great craic in winter no doubt when the roads get icy! If I remember rightly from a photo a good while you've also got views to the sea - was that yours?

I've a friend who lives out in the moors in North England and they all drive 4wd estates or jeeps.

Sometimes a 4wd aint enough, a couple of years ago during the bad winter i was going to check the ewes lambing about midnight and driving the jeep i managed to hit a patch of ice and did four 360's before straightening up and i continued on down the road. There was only a sheep wire fence between me and about a 300ft drop on one side, the oul fella was watching me from the sheep house and when i got there he asked what i was at cos all he could see was the lights going round like a disco ball. Not a scratch on the jeep despite hiting the bunkers a good few wallops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,861 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

How is your hand this morning. Still sore enough I would think.

Back to normality yet? Did grass on fields grow as well as on lawn?
    just stinging, cant wear milking glove, covered it with sudocreme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

How is your hand this morning. Still sore enough I would think.

Back to normality yet? Did grass on fields grow as well as on lawn?

Haven't moved yet.
    Sitting back having rasher sandwidges in Killarney. Have to be well fueled up for the drive ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Sometimes a 4wd aint enough, a couple of years ago during the bad winter i was going to check the ewes lambing about midnight and driving the jeep i managed to hit a patch of ice and did four 360's before straightening up and i continued on down the road. There was only a sheep wire fence between me and about a 300ft drop on one side, the oul fella was watching me from the sheep house and when i got there he asked what i was at cos all he could see was the lights going round like a disco ball. Not a scratch on the jeep despite hiting the bunkers a good few wallops.

:eek: :eek: nerves of steel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

_Brian wrote: »
    this will be the 20th night away in our caravan. Time to get back ......and mow the lawn me thinks.

Take it out for bales altogether! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Muckit wrote: »

More bales we"ll be starting silage 2015 shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

And I'm sure Reggie will stack them for you.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

And I'm sure Reggie will stack them for you.:D

And KatyMac can cut the garden for you!

Base price wrote: »
    Woohoo - tomorrow is my last day of exams :)
    I have to do an on-site assessment off a SME somewhere in the Leinster region in the morning. It maybe a first time audit or a repeat audit for the company or community group etc.
    After I do the audit, I have to hand in my assessment to the auditor and then she/he will conduct the official audit. The auditor will then compare my audit with the official one :eek:
    I have to achieve a minimum of 80% with the official audit in order to pass the final.
    I should know by lunch time tomorrow......
    hope you got on well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    hope you got on well
    Thanks for all the good wishes everyone - I nailed it - all your positive vibes paid off :D

Thanks for all the good wishes everyone - I nailed it - all your positive vibes paid off :D

Thats absolutely brilliant. Delighted for you. The sky is the limit for you now. Bit of a celebration planned I hope. Well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Thats absolutely brilliant. Delighted for you. The sky is the limit for you now. Bit of a celebration planned I hope. Well done
    I am just leaving Dublin now heading back to Longford. OH and I are going out for dinner later to celebrate ;););)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

I am just leaving Dublin now heading back to Longford. OH and I are going out for dinner later to celebrate ;););)

Congrats base price. Great when all the work pays off.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

The Turf is loaded, ya ****ing goon!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=250579345130595

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Anyone know accurate weather forecast websites instead of met eireann. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

The weather channel and accuweather

brilliant well done , enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Yr.no!

a lad rang me this evening looking for biestings. I dont give out biestings anymore as i had a couple of johnes +. He said cow calved yesterday and had no interest in calf and he hadnt had a drink yet:eek:, i gave him one of the osmonds colostrum tubes i have . Not a great start for the calf. He came to me before in same situaion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

XC weather but i find Met Eireann the best even if it is wrong most of the time the others just get your hopes up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

a lad rang me this evening looking for biestings. I dont give out biestings anymore as i had a couple of johnes +. He said cow calved yesterday and had no interest in calf and he hadnt had a drink yet:eek:, i gave him one of the osmonds colostrum tubes i have . Not a great start for the calf. He came to me before in same situaion
    Don't think johnes makes a diff for beef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Zr105 wrote: »
    Yr.no!

+1

wouldnt give it out if there was a chance they could get it, others might though

wouldnt give it out if there was a chance they could get it, others might though

It doesn't matter beef though. Its gone out of the food chain before it becomes I problem I am told. 7 yrs old before it effects them isn't it.
    Would you keep colostrum from cows you know don't have johnes?

Yes it does, it turns the lining of the gut so that it cant absorb anything so therefore no thrive, no weight gain, animal weans off and ends up dying off costing money rather than putting on weight and condition. Admittedly being that it only shows up after a certain age its effects are normally limited but could still cause major problems for cows,

It doesn't matter beef though. Its gone out of the food chain before it becomes I problem I am told. 7 yrs old before it effects them isn't it.

Thought they were saying it could affect from 2years at the day in grange, they were certainly looking to start testing for it to try get rid of it, cant see why they'd be worried if it had no effect on beef cattle till they were up on 7tear to be honest

Zr105 wrote: »
    Thought they were saying it could affect from 2years at the day in grange, they were certainly looking to start testing for it to try get rid of it, cant see why they'd be worried if it had no effect on beef cattle till they were up on 7tear to be honest

That's what we were told at the meetings. You won't see effects in animals till age 7

That's what we were told at the meetings. You won't see effects in animals till age 7

Dont know, but it seemed by the stand in grange that it had potential to be a major problem, and may in fact have been a problem that has been around and just not recognised till now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

What if it's a heifer calf, potential replacement? It will be spread from the animal before it appears as a clinical case. Seven may be an average but it can appear a lot younger.

The tests are 'not good' so it's impossible to be sure which don't have it.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

in ahi johnes scheme all animals over 2 are tested, have had 2 , 4 year old test positive......the test is not accurate enough even though they have tested negative they can still have it, a negative is not a negative and a positiveis not a positive, very difficult disease unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

found lactation 4/5 they were most likely to show up. For some reason jerseys seem to be more susceptible to it. Shot 5 with it this year and managed to get two into the factory before they got to dyeing looking. going to be a real problem in nz in the furure id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I had a 1st calfer die this year from it and she was only about 2 1/2 or 3 .
    They fairly waste away once it sets in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Reggie. wrote: »

315113.jpg

Is that the new Department of Agriculture and Defence standard issue tractor? ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Reggie that deserves a thread of it's own.:pac:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

in ahi johnes scheme all animals over 2 are tested, have had 2 , 4 year old test positive......the test is not accurate enough even though they have tested negative they can still have it, a negative is not a negative and a positive is not a positive, very difficult disease unfortunately

A positive by blood or milk is a positive in 95% of cases. By faecal culture in 100%.

http://online.pageflippdf.com/fitx/btmp/#p=6

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Them front mudguards wouldn't last long in the soft ground around here :D
    Its a rare one I'd say , where is it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Great yoke for covert bog ops!

greysides wrote: »
    A positive by blood or milk is a positive in 95% of cases. By faecal culture in 100%.

http://online.pageflippdf.com/fitx/btmp/#p=6
    thanks, i know that a negative does not mean a negative:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I use M T Cranium here on the weather forum and yr.no
    When the both agree I get confident!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

That's a bit of a rare girl in an XL cab!!

Same here.
    Rain radar on met eireann site is handy too. Gives an idea where and how fast rain is moving.

Brother had mowed the lawn.
    Then he dropped the mower and cut a smiley face into it.
    Must stick up a snap. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

blue5000 wrote: »
    Reggie that deserves a thread of it's own.:pac:

Typical Reggie, throws up something to tease us, then disappears to let us stew a bit.

Luxembourg or Netherlands flag on top corner of the cab? Dutch most likely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Haven't heard of yr.no!

A quick look at MTC in the morning mostly to see the long term. Accuweather app is good enough then for the general idea (ands pictures/ graphs on android app make it very easy). Then when I want a more accurate picture met.ie 5 day and rainfall radar are good.

Learned a lot about weather patterns/ prediction probabilities etc from reading MTC for a few months and just need to scan the above now to know what I need to know.

• Advertisement

Brother had mowed the lawn.
    Then he dropped the mower and cut a smiley face into it.
    Must stick up a snap. :)

He decided it was either cut in the smiley than add CAN and let it grow in the smile..

egsd1c.jpg

He decided it was either cut in the smiley than add CAN and let it grow in the smile..

egsd1c.jpg

Haha thats a good one! Id have done both, that way the smiley would grow out for the next few cuts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Have they no pictures of those tractors with 3 mowers on them or a 6 furrow reversible plough
    Is this your way of breaking the news to us that you're going to join the north korean army then Reggie

Anyone see the new Fendt 1050 tractor ? 500hp ! Im not really a machinery person but it looks class , would love a spin in it :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement