Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

_Brian wrote: »
    What were prices like ?
    Same stupidity going on with calves making more that weanlings.
    Fr bull calves making from €180 to €230 and weanlings making from €115 for planer ones to €280 for better types.
    A lot of dealers calves/weanlings went unsold.
    Also noticed that no indication of the number of movements for any animal going through the ring.
    Also noticed a weird looking AA type thing with a old looking head but tiny body that showed the last date of test was May 2013!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Base price wrote: »
    Same stupidity going on with calves making more that weanlings.
    Fr bull calves making from €180 to €230 and weanlings making from €115 for planer ones to €280 for better types.
    A lot of dealers calves/weanlings went unsold.
    Also noticed that no indication of the number of movements for any animal going through the ring.
    Also noticed a weird looking AA type thing with a old looking head but tiny body that showed the last date of test was May 2013!!!

Did the AA type thing sell ? I have a blue like that that I would love to get rid of :D

moy83 wrote: »
    Did the AA type thing sell ? I have a blue like that that I would love to get rid of :D
    No it didn't. Weirdest looking bovine I have seen in a long time. Might have been a dexter type cross with a turned up nose!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

No it didn't. Weirdest looking bovine I have seen in a long time. Might have been a dexter type cross with a turned up nose!!!!

having your name up on the board when that lad comes into the ring is no joke! better to land him on done deal with a throw away phone number, to keep the smart alec neighbours off the scent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Are you sure it wasn't an otter or something like that you saw :P:D

You're a right funny bucko:D

I have an otter story too. A Pike angler doing a bit of night fishing on a large S Cavan lake, had a couple of dead baits out, got a run, struck and the 'fish' ran...............and ran.........and ran........ Angler got into a boat that was moored nearby and was rowing out when the fish stopped running out into the lake and ran back towards the shore.............And kept running to the shore and out onto the bank. And it wasn't a hare this time;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭mayota

just do it wrote: »
    Cycled the Greenway today from Westport to Achill with the kids behind in trailers. Fantastic day out and I'd highly recommend it. This is the way forward for Irish tourism and a great boost for disadvantages rural economies. Can think of a similar suitable route at home!

Do drive past it fairly regularly, love to see all the people using it so I do blow the horn and give a little wave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Had a few small bags of fertiliser left over in the shed and decided to spread them this evening.

10 grand, but 2 had small holes since I got them and stuff was lumpy and damp. Like a big dirty eejit didn't l throw them in on top of the good stuff!:O

Oh a good boot in the hole is what l'd want! Lesson learnt!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Muckit wrote: »
    Had a few small bags of fertiliser left over in the shed and decided to spread them this evening.

10 grand, but 2 had small holes since I got them and stuff was lumpy and damp. Like a big dirty eejit didn't l throw them in on top of the good stuff!:O

Who says ya can't teach an auld Muckit new tricks :D

Out on the concrete and give them the back of the shovel first .Absolute hardship

Very frustrating. I was fit to be tied!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I bet Muckit wasn't going around shouting Muckit ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

just do it wrote: »
    Cycled the Greenway today from Westport to Achill with the kids behind in trailers. Fantastic day out and I'd highly recommend it. This is the way forward for Irish tourism and a great boost for disadvantages rural economies. Can think of a similar suitable route at home!

We were in Mayo last year for a weekend and did the greenway. It's wonderful.
    For anyone that way inclined there is a great canal side cycle in Newry, heads up to Belfast, Tarmac track and the countryside is very nice, all easy going along the canal. We didn't go all the way to Belfast but really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Been there muckit, and been in the field in the spreader trying to get the ****e out too,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Laid up today so I'm reading the F.I. Looking on the back page and the NI Ag Minister, Michelle O Neill is a savage bit of gear. Just saying like:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Well fook it anyway, bull is very lame and empty today and still have 5 or 6 left to bull. Hoof man going taking a look at him in the evening. Could have to ai the last few cause I'm not to hopeful of him doing much work for a few weeks :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

lefthooker wrote: »
    Laid up today so I'm reading the F.I. Looking on the back page and the NI Ag Minister, Michelle O Neill is a savage bit of gear. Just saying like:p

I think a lot of us would prefer if she could do her job or knew anything about her job, rather than what she looked like. Just saying like...;)

when she was appointed one farmer asked a local farmer if he knew anything about her, the farmer says aye she comes from a big estate near dungannon, what sort of estate the other farmer asks, a housing estate yer man says. :D:D

Just waiting for a lady from ICBF to weigh a few weanlins . Are they usually punctual does anyone know ?

Just waiting for a lady from ICBF to weigh a few weanlins . Are they usually punctual does anyone know ?

We had two lad here last year that arrived slightly late but they had gotten lost.

If it's a lady make sure you're clean and tidy moy!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭lefthooker

I think a lot of us would prefer if she could do her job or knew anything about her job, rather than what she looked like. Just saying like...;)

I'm on a day off, not too worried about technical ability today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Well fook it anyway, bull is very lame and empty today and still have 5 or 6 left to bull. Hoof man going taking a look at him in the evening. Could have to ai the last few cause I'm not to hopeful of him doing much work for a few weeks :(

Wonder what charliebull would do in similar situation:o

Serious though, if there an infection do some of the antibiotics you might give him not reduce a bulls fertility?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Wonder what charliebull would do in similar situation:o

Serious though, if there an infection do some of the antibiotics you might give him not reduce a bulls fertility?

I don't think it's the antibiotics itself that causes it, it more to do with a rise in body temperature killing the sperm if there is an infection there. I'll know more in a few hours anyway, he was a bit lame with a few days and I shouldn't have left him as long. He has a heap of weight shed now and looks right down in himself, made no attempt to go back to the cows when I brought him in which was a bad sign I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

Won a half ton of meal in local co-op:D. Every little helps!

.Kovu. wrote: »
    We had two lad here last year that arrived slightly late but they had gotten lost.

If it's a lady make sure you're clean and tidy moy!!:D

She was ten mins early . I'm not as clean and tidy now as I was before she came ! Its as dead as Elvis , neither me nor the cattle were in form for herding and everything went arseways . The father said she wanted just 1 in particular and a couple others but she actually needed 3 and 5 others , not all of which I had gathered . There was cursing and swearing done :D

She was ten mins early . I'm not as clean and tidy now as I was before she came ! Its as dead as Elvis , neither me nor the cattle were in form for herding and everything went arseways . The father said she wanted just 1 in particular and a couple others but she actually needed 3 and 5 others , not all of which I had gathered . There was cursing and swearing done :D

Repent my friend for swearing. Say 3 Hail Marys and you'll be grand.

That reminds me, only 146 more to go:D

Repent my friend for swearing. Say 3 Hail Marys and you'll be grand.

That reminds me, only 146 more to go:D

You probably racked up that penance today alone :D

• Advertisement

You probably racked up that penance today alone :D

And I'm a Protestant:D

And I'm a Protestant:D

I thought you said that before alright , do ye get away without cofession and penance ?

I thought you said that before alright , do ye get away without cofession and penance ?

Ya, we don't have anything like that. Otherwise I spend more time at that than I do milking (bad cows)

Line I hesrd once thought was humorous
    " I'm an atheist now .............. thank God!"

No offence meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

Seems legit!! :D

I hurt from the hair down

• Advertisement

That's disgusting! ! We don't want to know! !

Reggie. wrote: »
    I hurt from the hair down

http://i.imgur.com/t7uWkqS.jpg :D:pac:

I'm refraining from saying what I'm thinking :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

The neighbour had some help today

The neighbour had some help today

Am I sad for going phoarrr when I saw the tyres on the tractor before looking at the two women ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Am I sad for going phoarrr when I saw the tyres on the tractor before looking at the two women ? :D

Like a true farmer but not a true Irish one :D

Yes. ;)

Your right.
    How's a fella to get work done with them hanging off there

I was wondering there. How do people get pickled onions out of the jar?
    I try stab them with a fork but it's a tricky job. Is there a better way?

:pac:

Drink the vinegar first like a real man.

• Advertisement

Spoon under them ? Or turn the full jar into a bowl and pick them that way

Drink the vinegar first like a real man.

After you

Drink the vinegar first like a real madman.

FYP:)

Spoon under them ? Or turn the full jar into a bowl and pick them that way

In a big jar it's still tricky to fish them out with a spoon. The bowl is a non runner, all's I want at a time is six. 5 for the plate and one for me on the spot!

A steak-knife. Stab the fcukers and pull them out.

I like vinegar but not pickled onions. Give me beetroot any day and I'll drink that vinegar.

FYP:)

In a big jar it's still tricky to fish them out with a spoon. The bowl is a non runner, all's I want at a time is six. 5 for the plate and one for me on the spot!
    I use a carving fork - two prong one and its long enough to spear them even in the bottom of the jar.

I use a carving fork - two prong one and its long enough to spear them even in the bottom of the jar.

That sounds like a plan. I'll try it.

A steak-knife. Stab the fcukers and pull them out.

I like vinegar but not pickled onions. Give me beetroot any day and I'll drink that vinegar.

The same applies to the baby beetroot. They can be slippery customers too. Great feeding in them.

Are pickled onions more of a Christmas thing ? Herself does something around then with onions and red cabbage I think . Tasty enough

Are pickled onions more of a Christmas thing ? Herself does something around then with onions and red cabbage I think . Tasty enough

Never had one but I'm more a scallon man

• Advertisement

Jaysus, I never heard of that. I'd have them mainly in the summer with a salad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement