Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Some lad called to the home house today when myself and the father were gone . He told the mother that he was doing a study on bats for the co co and that he was going to have a walk around and take a few pictures if he found any .
    Would this be normal goings on , or would you usually get letter of phonecall first ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

moy83 wrote: »
    Some lad called to the home house today when myself and the father were gone . He told the mother that he was doing a study on bats for the co co and that he was going to have a walk around and take a few pictures if he found any .
    Would this be normal goings on , or would you usually get letter of phonecall first ?
    did he have id?

whelan2 wrote: »
    did he have id?

She didnt ask him for any and cant remember his name either :rolleyes:
    Im not too pleased about anyone snooping around the sheds like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I would be very wary of that carry on. Def need to see some Id

did he want to get into the house?

No one would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I've a friend who does this work for quite a few of the councils, some EU bodies and private companies. I must ask her that question about specific ID for the job and what the accepted practice is.
    Did you call the CoCo to see if indeed they have someone doing work for them.

did he want to get into the house?

No just around the yard .We do have bats so its likely someone is doing a survey I just thought we would get notice first

Spent the afternoon at the PC working spreadsheets. Then jeep was like a feckin microwave when I left to come home. Swear I'm wrung out now. Have lawns and hedges to trim while I'd really love to be having a run at some mole ploughing while ground is fit !!

_Brian wrote: »
    I've a friend who does this work for quite a few of the councils, some EU bodies and private companies. I must ask her that question about specific ID for the job and what the accepted practice is.
    Did you call the CoCo to see if indeed they have someone doing work for them.

I'll buzz them tomorrow alright and see

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

Lock up the yard for the next few nights, ... any trailers cow boxes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Stakeout with mr double barrel for the next few nights me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I only have experience of Daubentons bat surveys. They typically live and hunt over water. They surveys are carried out generally in august, and at evening time, through dusk and into the hours of darkness.
    Ran by Bat conservation Ireland and NPWS. I dunno what the council have to do with it.
    I'd be ringing around if I were you.

Thanks folks , we'll be keeping an eye out for awhile just in case . Good luck to anyone that come up here at night , myself and the father would wake at a pin drop .
    Maybe he is legit , its just that the mother let him off without looking for ID or a letter or anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Stumbled upon this . <MODSNIP>

Nosensical imo.

<MODSNIP>

Feck it, if he's fair and even handed I could care less about interests in eating meat.. same goes for others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

<MODSNIP>

There are more types of farming than just cattle, sheep, pigs etc.
    I think MicraX on this site is a veg/tillage farmer. I am sure he considers what he does as farming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Ah come on lads please. Don't be bringing in things like that to chit chat.

Enjoy the good weather instead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Had arranged to go to the beach today with OH and kids. Just arrived into car park when the rain started. So we had our picnic in the car looking out at a few damp seagull on Galway bay with the wipers on. Rain blew off after a while so down to the beach, but tide almost in so only a few feet of sand. Twas like siomething out of a Monty python sketch. Icecream cones on the way home so all in all a good day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Had arranged to go to the beach today with OH and kids. Just arrived into car park when the rain started. So we had our picnic in the car looking out at a few damp seagull on Galway bay with the wipers on. Rain blew off after a while so down to the beach, but tide almost in so only a few feet of sand. Twas like siomething out of a Monty python sketch. Icecream cones on the way home so all in all a good day!
    You just can't beat a typical Irish summer :D

Is that Silver Strand jimmy ?

Yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

not a bad day, sister got a clear herd test and baled some hay, lucky didnt leave till tomorrow as it rained about 2 hrs after

That happens us so often the girls have a name for it.. its not a picnic, its a CARNIC. :eek:

Yep

I was only up the road from it when that burst of rain fell and my mate was in spiddal at the time and he reckoned it was bone dry !

• Advertisement

I was only up the road from it when that burst of rain fell and my mate was in spiddal at the time and he reckoned it was bone dry !

Yeah, tiz mad the way it can fall. My brother was in the city at the time and no rain there either.

Yeah, tiz mad the way it can fall. My brother was in the city at the time and no rain there either.

Saw a video on a friends phone taken at a local football match..
    Literally at the half way line the rain started... Lads on one end of the pitch were in sunshine while at the other end the rain was running off them.. It was bizarre, the rain was coming down like dowel rods..

10559728_10152630553966803_258606425555176357_n.jpg?oh=f6b5e05e5b229402e6bc1e912a28e457&oe=545356A5

Tell him or not?:eek:

10559728_10152630553966803_258606425555176357_n.jpg?oh=f6b5e05e5b229402e6bc1e912a28e457&oe=545356A5

Tell him or not?:eek:
    Couldn't be real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Spent afternoon catching strong store lambs as was weaning them from their mammies,lost some amount of sweat at it!....hoping to get to beach tomorrow eve.

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    Couldn't be real

No use being an eejit without proving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Another terrible tragedy! Sympathies to his wife and family. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

I learned to swim there. Lessons given by myself.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Just had one of those callers saying that my PC has a virus and must be checked thoroughly before using it (thus getting you to download a virus/software that gives them access to your laptop)

Grand says I, time for some fun.

Firstly I had to find my laptop, while he was left on hold for ten minutes. Made myself a lovely cup of coffee in that time.
    He was still there so I decided to ask how prices of cattle were in his country, suspect they may have been holy to him as he didn't seem to want to answer.....
    Anyway got to the laptop and proceeded to make out I was the biggest amadán in Ireland with computers. He was giving me instructions on what to do for another 10 mins or so, including me accidentally switching it off and I also left to feed the cat for a couple more minutes. He then asked me to download something for it. But sure I've no internet here says I, I didn't tell you before because I thought you'd make a fool of me!

Strangely, he hung up on on me:(:pac:

Anyway, make sure to tell older generations that this scam is still ongoing, the caller ID came up as 00000000 and he identified himself with an Irish name but definitely not an Irish accent.

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Just had one of those callers saying that my PC has a virus and must be checked thoroughly before using it (thus getting you to download a virus/software that gives them access to your laptop)

Firstly I had to find my laptop, while he was left on hold for ten minutes. Made myself a lovely cup of coffee in that time.
    He was still there so I decided to ask how prices of cattle were in his country, suspect they may have been holy to him as he didn't seem to want to answer.....
    Anyway got to the laptop and proceeded to make out I was the biggest amadán in Ireland with computers. He was giving me instructions on what to do for another 10 mins or so, including me accidentally switching it off and I also left to feed the cat for a couple more minutes. He then asked me to download something for it. But sure I've no internet here says I, I didn't tell you before because I thought you'd make a fool of me!

Anyway, make sure to tell older generations that this scam is still ongoing, the caller ID came up as 00000000 and he identified himself with an Irish name but definitely not an Irish accent.
    He picked the wrong one there to mess with :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Reggie. wrote: »
    He picked the wrong one there to mess with :D
    Heard of a guy (only home from US on Holiday) who answered his mother's phone to this type call & went on a 4 letter rant. Later that night his wife went to go onto her Laptop to check her mail - crashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

.Kovu. wrote: »

played along similar with a fellow last year, and after about 15 minutes his instructions weren't loading , in desperation he asked what version of windows i was using

told him i only use linux ... :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

jt65 wrote: »
    played along similar with a fellow last year, and after about 15 minutes his instructions weren't loading , in desperation he asked what version of windows i was using

told him i only use linux ... :D:D
    I followed the lads instruction from a lad earlier this year and when he asked what windows i was using, i told him i was using an Apple Mac. I heard some nice curses in Indian that i wish i had recorded:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Got the new app for board's it's crap I think it's a fossil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Anyone get school bus tickets using the new easy online system!!!!! Been at it for an hour, has me hopping mad now, kids using bus for yrs. U have to locate your house on the map, couldn't get within 15 miles of our place. Then could not find 1 of the pps numbers and tax office is shut.... Used to just send in a cheque, that was actually easy!!!!

Anyone get school bus tickets using the new easy online system!!!!! Been at it for an hour, has me hopping mad now, kids using bus for yrs. U have to locate your house on the map, couldn't get within 15 miles of our place. Then could not find 1 of the pps numbers and tax office is shut.... Used to just send in a cheque, that was actually easy!!!!
    was doing our's yesterday eventually got it done and it wouldn't let me pay , rang them and their system was down they said they'd text when it was up and running again ,still waiting , no problem any other year just pay online easy now it's a pain . :(

i nearly had a breakdown here last week doing this, total nightmare, i had entered most of the details last year . Also had the problem of the address, its not cheap either. Also wouldnt accept payment after all the hassle:o:mad::( oh said he never saw me as annoyed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

td5man wrote: »
    was doing our's yesterday eventually got it done and it wouldn't let me pay , rang them and their system was down they said they'd text when it was up and running again ,still waiting , no problem any other year just pay online easy now it's a pain . :(

Same here, just couldn't even get to the payment option, cause I don't have Google Chrome installed.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

i think they have extended the closing date by a week

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Same here, just couldn't even get to the payment option, cause I don't have Google Chrome installed.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

How much does an average bus ticket cost these days ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

For 1 child, minimum €100, maximum €260, depending on distance I think. If you have 2 or more all getting the bus, there is a sliding scale of reduced payments.

100 euro each here for the year , its not bad you d spend more running with diesel and the time you'd waste on the road going with them and collecting , money well spent IMO.

hassle:o:mad::( oh said he never saw me as annoyed

Yeah right . :)

• Advertisement

350 for secondary. Max payment per family 650

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement