Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

moy83 wrote: »
    Hot water ? Not really the weather for hot toddies though . I was getting lovely stuff there , you could drink it neat and had a lovely taste to it without killing the throat :D

Cold water. Proper poitin is great stuff, once you do do the dog on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

You won't do the dog on it too often , it gives a quare hangover :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I'll second that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Drank half a bottle of it one night,I never want to be that sick again even on my death bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Talking to few people after meeting and chat came around to differences between having a wife/husband and a dog. Usual stories - being there for the ccompany, forgiveness etc.
    One man summed up the whole thing when he said an old man told him "shut your dog in the boot of the car for half an hour, then shut your wife in the boot for half an hour. When you let them out, see which is pleased to see you.
    Enough said

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

_Brian wrote: »
    Do hope rangler is ok ;)

staying well out of it (for a change)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Spotted a calfs head looking a bit odd earlier, went up closer to see it was moving.
    Fcuking maggots in it after dehorning last week:(:eek:

Bleeeeeugh and double bleugh. Washed it out with salted water and bluestone. Will get a powder to seal it shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Spotted a calfs head looking a bit odd earlier, went up closer to see it was moving.

Bleeeeeugh and double bleugh. Washed it out with salted water and bluestone. Will get a powder to seal it shortly.
    We find aluminium spray to be good as it stops the flies laying eggs.

Base price wrote: »
    We find aluminium spray to be good as it stops the flies laying eggs.

Yup, have picked some of that up too. Least the weather is cooler though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I was drunk for two days off it. It was in a vodka bottle so I thought that was what I was drinking. Oh the memory *shudder*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Its the worst year I can ever remember for maggots. Had to deal with them on hoggets, one of the sucklers and even the wifes Shetland pony:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Its the worst year I can ever remember for maggots. Had to deal with them on hoggets, one of the sucklers and even the wifes Shetland pony:(

Where did the Shetland pony get them ? Perfect weather for blight , maggots and mastitis :mad:

I wouldn't mind but maggots are the one thing that makes me scream. I'd take showers of rats, snakes, spiders, mice etc. But not feckin maggots.

Took him and the mother in there and syringed it out completely and dosed it with Alamycin.

I wouldn't mind but maggots are the one thing that makes me scream. I'd take showers of rats, snakes, spiders, mice etc. But not feckin maggots.

Took him and the mother in there and syringed it out completely and dosed it with Alamycin.
    maybe put some tar on his head too... a neighbour rang me at milking time , did i want 20 round bales of hay? I asked him how much , he said we would sort that out at christmas and he would put the bales in my yard this evening, i like my neighbours:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

whelan2 wrote: »
    maybe put some tar on his head too... a neighbour rang me at milking time , did i want 20 round bales of hay? I asked him how much , he said we would sort that out at christmas and he would put the bales in my yard this evening, i like my neighbours:)

Obviously they like you as well.

whelan2 wrote: »

Yup, I tarred him (and myself :() in a circle around the sprayed hole, he'll get a re-do of it all tomorrow before being let out.

He seems to have had a bad start to life! He's got a weird lump hanging from his ear, just a tissuey growth but looks strange. Also a bony lump on one side of his upper ribcage, as if he got a belt of a cow and cracked/broke a rib that's healed wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

This might be a silly question but does every calf have to be tested and sample sent away?!:O

This might be a silly question but does every calf have to be tested and sample sent away?!:O
    yup, everyone alive or dead

Thought a calf looked a little shook this evening so called vet. Had my suspicions what it was and vet confirmed it. Bloody thing had Ibr. Vet gave him and injection and he's a different animal already thankfully :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Reggie. wrote: »
    Thought a calf looked a little shook this evening so called vet. Had my suspicions what it was and vet confirmed it. Bloody thing had Ibr. Vet gave him and injection and he's a different animal already thankfully :)

get a booster for him in 3 weeks and in a month after that as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

dzer2 wrote: »

Would Reggie be as well do all the calves?

Asked vet about the rest and he reckons they would be grand not to worry about them

He's getting one tomorrow. Vet says that's all he needs

Where did the Shetland pony get them ? Perfect weather for blight , maggots and mastitis :mad:

At the base of the tail. He hangs around with 2 donkeys one of whom can be a bit rough and appears to have bit him leaving a small wound which attracted in the blow flies. He's on his own now looking a bit sorry for himself but I've a feeling the trouble and strife will spring another suprise on me and get him a little buddy at next months fare in town:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

how did he/she confirm ibr on the spot ?

unless you nabbed it at a very early stage it takes 7 to 10 days to clear

got a wallop of it a few years and never want to see it again , vaccinating now and so far so good.

jt65 wrote: »
    how did he/she confirm ibr on the spot ?

unless you nabbed it at a very early stage it takes 7 to 10 days to clear

got a wallop of it a few years and never want to see it again , vaccinating now and so far so good.

Was a bit empty looking, eyes were half shut and a little red and there was a red rash developing on its nose.

Vet says leave him in for a couple of days and he'll be grand. Far more livelier already

Rats freak me out. I've shared a bedroom with giant wasps,scorpions, bats and snakes on a number of trips to Africa, where I tend to stay in remote areas to do voluntary/conservation work in basic acc0modation. No problem.However last trip had rat issues with the accomodation and was stressfull to say the least:(. Hasn't but me off travelling to the continent, its kinda of an addictive place to hang out where our species started.

Rats freak me out. I've shared a bedroom with giant wasps,scorpions, bats and snakes on a number of trips to Africa, where I tend to stay in remote areas to do voluntary/conservation work in basic acc0modation. No problem.However last trip had rat issues with the accomodation and was stressfull to say the least:(. Hasn't but me off travelling to the continent, its kinda of an addictive place to hang out where our species started.

Nothing like meeting a python face to face

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

Was a bit empty looking, eyes were half shut and a little red and there was a red rash developing on its nose.

Vet says leave him in for a couple of days and he'll be grand. Far more livelier already

if it is ibr you need to vaccinate ,

TBH I think your vet is talking bullsh1t

:pac::pac::pac:

Heading to a wedding tomorrow. OH reminded me that his shirt needed ironing :(
    My brother overheard him and suggested that I iron his shirt while I was at it as he is going to the wedding too.
    I would prefer to pick stones than iron bloody shirts :(:(

jt65 wrote: »
    if it is ibr you need to vaccinate ,

TBH I think your vet is talking bullsh1t

He never sent me wrong yet to be honest. He's at it 40 years so I'm sure he's not too far from the mark

:pac::pac::pac:

More like :eek:

They certainly are an impressive sight. At least their not poisonous, though obviously impressive predators in their own right. Came across one in Zim at the side of dirt track with a giant bulge half way down its belly. Guide reckoned it was a young Gazelle!!:eek:

• Advertisement

My brother overheard him and suggested that I iron his shirt while I was at it as he is going to the wedding too.

Burn a hole in one :D

theres a few here that need doing too;) enjoy the day

I shared a bedroom with a rat once or maybe it was a snake - amounts to the same :D

They certainly are an impressive sight. At least their not poisonous, though obviously impressive predators in their own right. Came across one in Zim at the side of dirt track with a giant bulge half way down its belly. Guide reckoned it was a young Gazelle!!:eek:

Well our one got a shotgun shell or two

I shared a bedroom with a rat once or maybe it was a snake - amounts to the same :D

Two legged ones was it :D

• Advertisement

I would vaccinate all under 6 months its cheap and worth the money
    the forecast is giving muggy weather for the next week.

I would vaccinate all under 6 months its cheap and worth the money
    the forecast is giving muggy weather for the next week.

All the calves are 7 months old are they old enough do you think

All the calves are 7 months old are they old enough do you think[/QUOTE

Rare that you get one that age getting it. is the calf getting enough to drink in this warm weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Another great night for the Clare hurlers. 3 U21 Munster titles in a row!

All the calves are 7 months old are they old enough do you think[/QUOTE

Rare that you get one that age getting it. is the calf getting enough to drink in this warm weather

Big drinkers in each paddock. Vet reckons it's the high pollen count in the air that brings it on. He says he's dealing of a lot of cases if ibr the last two weeks. One calf he called out to today is to far gone and developed into meningitis. 50 50 chance of it surviving he tells me. He reckons I was lucky I copped it when I did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

ibr?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

naughto wrote: »

Lads are saying that happened ,3 yrs ago. Wouldn't be a bad buy I suppose ,:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yea it's a hoax ok. Same photos were doing the rounds more than five years ago.
    I think the photos are actually from an automobile store room for some fancy auto museum.

Big drinkers in each paddock. Vet reckons it's the high pollen count in the air that brings it on. He says he's dealing of a lot of cases if ibr the last two weeks. One calf he called out to today is to far gone and developed into meningitis. 50 50 chance of it surviving he tells me. He reckons I was lucky I copped it when I did

Had a case of di-hydration here myself lovely heifer was on a cow while she was getting milk she was not drinking any water from the drinkers nearly lost her.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement