Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Are ya jumping nxt week?

Practicing now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

subcontracting into a big utility company doing surveys all week… they give me one or two jobs a day in london… no more than 30 mins tube ride form where my accommodation is. left at 8.30am this morning and was back by 10 :p not a fan of the concrete jungle tho!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Reggie. wrote: »
    Practicing now[/Q

A bit more whip needed:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

whelan2 wrote: »
    wouldnt it be great to be a kid again, not clock watching, not caring what time ya get up at.[/B] Youngest lad just came downstairs and asked is it morning time;)[/B]

But with the time you be up at every morning it would be near dinner time for a lot of people at that stage :D

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Practicing now[/Q

A bit more whip needed:D

At least :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

jt65 wrote: »

Very sad indeed. My heart goes out to the family...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Jeez there seems to have been a serious amount of farm tragedys this year so far. May he RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It really is the unthinkable !!
    Pity on that family and their community..

I wonder how our farm safety figures compare to our European cousins..

There are many unusual aspects to enforcing safety on farms but surely the biggest challenge is the fact that they so often incorporate a family home which at some stage will be home to young curious children..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Just desperate and a two year toddler died after been hit with a car in tipp town.god help the parents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

i dont know hope anyone could cope with the loss of a child, god love them, it would be my worst nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

i dont know hope anyone could cope with the loss of a child, god love them, it would be my worst nightmare.

Watched my own parents, and my neighbours go through it. It's the stuff that can break families alright.

was reading on another forum where airtricity cut off the electricity to the wrong house yesterday, when the people rang up they said it would be tuesday before they could be reconnected , i would be livid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Its the worst year I can ever remember for maggots. Had to deal with them on hoggets, one of the sucklers and even the wifes Shetland pony:(

For Shetland use a dose of Spot On on the withers and above tail ... Will last 6 weeks and prevents maggots or other type of flystrike

What would a very good pedigree Charolais bull calf be worth as a weanling around 6 months old and 320kg lads? A neighbour has one that toll my fancy a few weeks back and I have a heifer that took his. I really like the bull but haven't a clue what he's worth to be honest, he's by his own stock bull and a home bred cow but he's seriously wide and muscley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

What would a very good pedigree Charolais bull calf be worth as a weanling around 6 months old and 320kg lads? A neighbour has one that toll my fancy a few weeks back and I have a heifer that took his. I really like the bull but haven't a clue what he's worth to be honest, he's by his own stock bull and a home bred cow but he's seriously wide and muscley.

GSD, demand for bulls this year has not been great, too many bulls not enough demand. Is he registered? What's he worth as a weanling. From what I have seen recently say between 900 to 1,000 (given your description) allow a few hundred for his breeding ability, you would be looking at 1,200 to 1,300. It all depends on badly you want him. Are George Chandler puts it, what part of the bulls anatomy is not worth another 50 quid!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Ah the day job

Reggie Does Sweet ....

Are the last letters F and A? :D

Muckit wrote: »
    Reggie Does Sweet ....

Are the last letters F and A? :D

Your just jealous is all :p

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    GSD, demand for bulls this year has not been great, too many bulls not enough demand. Is he registered? What's he worth as a weanling. From what I have seen recently say between 900 to 1,000 (given your description) allow a few hundred for his breeding ability, you would be looking at 1,200 to 1,300. It all depends on badly you want him. Are George Chandler puts it, what part of the bulls anatomy is not worth another 50 quid!!!!

Ya he's registered alright, was thinking around that myself. I'd rather buy at that age to be honest and feed myself rather than buying a bull next spring. Added bonus that he won't get red water in me aswell where he's coming from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Ya he's registered alright, was thinking around that myself. I'd rather buy at that age to be honest and feed myself rather than buying a bull next spring. Added bonus that he won't get red water in me aswell where he's coming from.
    Would he be ready to work by next spring? Those Char bulls can take a little longer to mature.

Would he be ready to work by next spring? Those Char bulls can take a little longer to mature.

Hardly to be honest about it but if he would bull 7 or 8 in July I would be happy enough. Wouldn't want to letting too many off with a bull that age regardless of breed I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Hi guys..
    Probably going to have a look at this tomorrow...

ANyone running one? SHould be easy ran..

Obviously looking out for rust... what else should I be looking out for ??

http://www.donedeal.ie/agitators-for-sale/nc-slurrey-pump/7399093

31713892.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Hardly to be honest about it but if he would bull 7 or 8 in July I would be happy enough. Wouldn't want to letting too many off with a bull that age regardless of breed I think.

I'd be inclined to agree with Mac in his earlier post about how to value him.
    Probably born around Feb, I wouldn't be concerned at all about him working away next spring, once ya wouldn't dog him out of it.
    The redwater immunity would be a big bonus too.
    What sort of a cow is he out of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

pulled the short straw (again :( ) this weekend & home alone

o/h gone to belfast and junior & g/f to galway

mike denver blasting on the stereo and getting acquainted with a bottle of jimmy

life is good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

pulled the short straw (again :( ) this weekend & home alone

o/h gone to belfast and junior & g/f to galway

mike denver blasting on the stereo and getting acquainted with a bottle of jimmy

life is good :)

That's the short straw. Live it up you only live once

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I might have been late to the wedding but certainly made up for it afterwards. Got to bed at 7am. I am only beginning to feel sorta normal now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Base price wrote: »
    I might have been late to the wedding but certainly made up for it afterwards. Got to bed at 7am. I am only beginning to feel sorta normal now :)

You can't beatca good wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

_Brian wrote: »
    Hi guys..
    Probably going to have a look at this tomorrow...

ANyone running one? SHould be easy ran..

Obviously looking out for rust... what else should I be looking out for ??

http://www.donedeal.ie/agitators-for-sale/nc-slurrey-pump/7399093

31713892.jpeg

We have the same one and it hasn't given us any trouble . I think we replaced the bearing at the bottom and that wasn't a big deal . No bother on the 956 anyhow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

sea12 wrote: »
    You can't beatca good wedding.

And sometimes you can't wait for a good bedding! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

.Kovu. wrote: »
    And sometimes you can't wait for a good bedding! :D

Ya must have got a bit lately kovu with a statement like that

• Advertisement

I'd be inclined to agree with Mac in his earlier post about how to value him.
    Probably born around Feb, I wouldn't be concerned at all about him working away next spring, once ya wouldn't dog him out of it.
    The redwater immunity would be a big bonus too.
    What sort of a cow is he out of?

I'm haven't a clue of the breeding to be honest, all I know is he was a handy calf when he was born and the mother spat him out herself. The man doesn't feed any meal either so he isint blown out from that. He's like a blue with muscle, lines of it going all the way through him. I just said to him a few weeks ago if he was selling him to be sure and let me know and he pulled up to me on the road today and said the same to me about one of our heifer calves and I said she's yours if you sell me the bull and he said we will have some deal whenever we are weaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I'm haven't a clue of the breeding to be honest, all I know is he was a handy calf when he was born and the mother spat him out herself. The man doesn't feed any meal either so he isint blown out from that. He's like a blue with muscle, lines of it going all the way through him. I just said to him a few weeks ago if he was selling him to be sure and let me know and he pulled up to me on the road today and said the same to me about one of our heifer calves and I said she's yours if you sell me the bull and he said we will have some deal whenever we are weaning.

A straight swap so :-)

I was more asking ya about the cow herself rather than the breeding. If I was buying a bull I'd like to see the dam to see what sort of a cow she is.

If you like the cut of the bull, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Any of you lads or lasses heading up to the races tomorrow?

Damo810 wrote: »
    Any of you lads or lasses heading up to the races tomorrow?

No but I have a few bets on so cheer them home for me. Ta ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Just signed off for the weekend here, booting it down to Galway for a wedding in the afternoon. Should be great Craic!

Timmaay wrote: »
    Just signed off for the weekend here, booting it down to Galway for a wedding in the afternoon. Should be great Craic!

Behave yourself

Behave yourself

Pot and kettle spring to mind :P

Pot and kettle spring to mind :P

Bloody cheek of ya :p

Bloody cheek of ya :p

You still prancing round the RDS?

You still prancing round the RDS?

Nope. Got lunch with the fancy crowd at 1 then home :)

• Advertisement

Nope. Got lunch with the fancy crowd at 1 then home :)

Just thinking when seen your photos on the thread, how many sections did your imported cows end up having? Hopefully not too many more.

Just thinking when seen your photos on the thread, how many sections did your imported cows end up having? Hopefully not too many more.

Jaysus.......i can't remember in the end but it was around 8 in the 35 of them o think. Two calved themselves and the rest were jacked

Jaysus.......i can't remember in the end but it was around 8 in the 35 of them o think. Two calved themselves and the rest were jacked
    are they going back in calf to the same bull? will any of them be culled?

Ouch!:eek:

Ouch!:eek:

Yeah FIL overfed them waaaaaay too much. It was a pain in the arse

are they going back in calf to the same bull? will any of them be culled?

No idea have no say below in the main yard. Same bull is still there tho. Was talk of selling some off with calf at foot and keeping a few of the better ones but they are all still there anyhow

Yeah FIL overfed them waaaaaay too much. It was a pain in the arse

Found your problem:D:D Poor heifers!

Found your problem:D:D Poor heifers!

Felt sorry for them on more than one occasion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Cleaned out an old shed today and found old AI dockets from 1961.

• Advertisement

Cleaned out an old shed today and found old AI dockets from 1961.

AI dockets?

Was it not more along the lines of ''Daisy went to Charlies bull on Friday 5th'' etc etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement