Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Off on a hotel break for a few days.

Went into the lift and read the sign
    ' 630kg - 8persons max'

Yes I thought 'or 2 nice heifer weanlings.'

.... I haven't fully unwound yet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

whelan2 wrote: »
    as i said before it would be my worst nightmare. All we can do is make 100% sure we know where they are at all times, we are lucky that we have a secure garden that kids cant get to yard unless we let them. Have a 6 year old with zero sense and you would need eyes in the back of your head for him:cool:
    My parents had to build a pen in the garden out of pallets to put my sister in when she was young. .
    Crackers, couldn't control her turn around and she would be out the yard behind my mothers back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

My parents had to build a pen in the garden out of pallets to put my sister in when she was young. .
    Crackers, couldn't control her turn around and she would be out the yard behind my mothers back
    brother used to climb out windows here, he went missing one day, i will never forget it, my mother was wading through a quarry pit we had convinced he had drowned:mad: little fecker was asleep in a field. An awful shock for anyone, we thought he was gone.

Farrell wrote: »
    No word, must be in the pub celebrating
    hope she wasnt arrested:D anyone hear the local news from leitrim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I'M HERE! No need for a search party:D

I didn't get anything with the heifer which was disappointing but I'll bring her to another one next week. I enjoy showing them, don't mind if I win or lose, sure if people didn't support local shows then they'd soon disappear.
    She walked very well so extremely pleased with her.
    Made up for it winning with paintings/baking/veg & two firsts in photography! Grand day out, now I'm off to eat a cheesecake.....

And craaaaaaaaaaap my back is completely sunburned :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

.Kovu. wrote: »

I enjoy showing them, don't mind if I win or lose, sure if people didn't support local shows then they'd soon disappear.

"Doesn't Mary have a lovely bottom?"
    "Careful there, Ted. That might offend the girls."
    "Right, Liam. Of course, they all have lovely bottoms."

Rock-a-Hula_Ted-grab01.jpg

mike_ie wrote: »
    "Doesn't Mary have a lovely bottom?"
    "Careful there, Ted. That might offend the girls."
    "Right, Liam. Of course, they all have lovely bottoms."

More like-
    father%20ted%20s3%2003.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

I didn't get anything with the heifer which was disappointing but I'll bring her to another one next week. I enjoy showing them, don't mind if I win or lose, sure if people didn't support local shows then they'd soon disappear.
    She walked very well so extremely pleased with her.
    Made up for it winning with paintings/baking/veg & two firsts in photography! Grand day out, now I'm off to eat a cheesecake.....

And craaaaaaaaaaap my back is completely sunburned :(

was it bonniconlon you were K ?

a friend of mine left yesterday with limousins,, bunk down around castlebar last night & on this morn

and 5 hour drive home this evening .. takes some commitment

meant to get to nenagh to day but plans went astray

wd on supporting the smaller shows

Not BC no, just a wee one near me, never made it to the Mayo one as it's always on the same time as the local one here. Always support that as I was born the same day the first show was held there!

Seen a few that were a bit nutty, one slipped the halter and went for a prance about the ring:eek:

I find the weanling headcollars for foals work excellently on young cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Those women were in the nip

• Advertisement

Any mushrooms yet?

Any mushrooms yet?

No, but the hedges on the lane are coming up trumps with blueberries!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Any mushrooms yet?

Its been too hot up till now to get big numbers. August is looking wet and cooler so there should be a good flush in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

Any mushrooms yet?

Found my first one in years on Saturday evening straight in and onto the grill with some butter.

No, but the hedges on the lane are coming up trumps with blueberries!
    we where at cattle this morning, youngest lad got a bucket and picked blackberries for around an hour, seems to be a bumper crop this year

Was very confused a min ago. Was wondering what Farming & Forestry had to buy that I could win a voucher for:D:pac:

Ow2cZWp.png?1

Any mushrooms yet?

Had heaps last month. None since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Any mushrooms yet?

There was hundreds of them around for a few mornings a fortnight ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

There was hundreds of them around for a few mornings a fortnight ago.

Rain might bring them back

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    Rain might bring them back

Had a local lad asking me the very same question this morning as it happens. We had plenty a few weeks back, I reckon that the weather at the moment have killed them off for a bit though. August is usually great for mushrooms down this side, so if we get a dash of rain I'd expect to be seeing them again pretty soon.

Anyone know where I could get a 200l plastic blue barrel?
    Don't need it till September but would be nice to have one ready

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Neighbour has a load of them for sale.

Water charges? :D

td5man wrote: »
    Neighbour has a load of them for sale.
    i have them , but you're a bit far away, look on donedeal.

i have them , but you're a bit far away, look on donedeal.

There all up in Meath Louth or cavan. I'll be up that way next week if its not too far away from where I'm going I'll try get one,

• Advertisement

There all up in Meath Louth or cavan. I'll be up that way next week if its not too far away from where I'm going I'll try get one,
    do you not use them for teatspray /detergent, alot handier than small drums

do you not use them for teatspray /detergent, alot handier than small drums

We've only ever got it in the small drums. Concentrate 20l makes 100l of spray

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Congrats to ireland womens rugby world cup team on beating current world champion new zealand in group game in France

What would you do if a mans bull broke in to your heifers and put one of them incalf, yet denies knowledge the bull was ever on your land? (even though he somehow mysteriously disappeared out of the field we shut him into)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

You should have a pm there in a min or 2!

• Advertisement

We've only ever got it in the small drums. Concentrate 20l makes 100l of spray

Someone in your discussion group probably has them. We mix up the teat spray in the big barrel with the concentrate

Someone in your discussion group probably has them. We mix up the teat spray in the big barrel with the concentrate

Ye I asked my mother to ask the uncle when's she's talking to him next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Congrats to ireland womens rugby world cup team on beating current world champion new zealand in group game in France

Yep what a great performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

What would you do if a mans bull broke in to your heifers and put one of them incalf, yet denies knowledge the bull was ever on your land? (even though he somehow mysteriously disappeared out of the field we shut him into)

Saw a repeat of a film last nite, not sure what it was called. It was about hare coursing. A couple of travellers asked an old farmer for permission to shoot on his land. It didn't end well for his dog or for his Hereford bull:eek:

tanko wrote: »
    Saw a repeat of a film last nite, not sure what it was called. It was about hare coursing. A couple of travellers asked an old farmer for permission to shoot on his land. It didn't end well for his dog or for his Hereford bull:eek:

Man about dog

Make the moves on his missus. And give him the same story afterwards.

Realistically though, not much you can do, only take solace in the fact that what goes around comes around, and if that's his attitude in general then most people will already be aware of it. Day will come when he'll need a favour from you and you'll be in the position to tell him to take a running jump.

Lol, if only it was a Hereford, hoer of a CH on a blue and dad won't inject her.

i'd make sure my boundary fences where secure that he wouldnt break in again, your neighbour obviously isnt capable of keeping his side in order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Lol, if only it was a Hereford, hoer of a CH on a blue and dad won't inject her.

Last year i had a two year old chx heifer I intended to Ai with an easy calving Lim but the neighbours CH bull got into her so said I'd chance it. Big mistake, had to section a huge bull calf.
    Inject the heifer some day the aul lad isn't about. It's not worth the risk on a heifer.

A man near me squeezed his neighbours bull after he broke in a couple of times and never told him. He couldn't understand why his cows weren't going in calf.

i'd make sure my boundary fences where secure that he wouldnt break in again, your neighbour obviously isnt capable of keeping his side in order

Ah but the problem is they are. He bent the gate into a hoop jumping over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

A man near me squeezed his neighbours bull after he broke in a couple of times and never told him. He couldn't understand why his cows weren't going in calf.

There are a few blokes around here could have same done to them:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

fencing today but had to pull out this evening when the sky opened up and it poured down

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭piebaldskwbald

Last year i had a two year old chx heifer I intended to Ai with an easy calving Lim but the neighbours CH bull got into her so said I'd chance it. Big mistake, had to section a huge bull calf.
    Inject the heifer some day the aul lad isn't about. It's not worth the risk on a heifer.

I agree with tanko... It isn't worth the risk on a valuable heifer. Inject her with pg or something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

GY A1 wrote: »
    fencing today but had to pull out this evening when the sky opened up and it poured down

Is that what they call the withdrawal method?:eek:

Ah but the problem is they are. He bent the gate into a hoop jumping over it.

Charliebull bent the gate to get in across your boundary? I'd expect no less of the bold Charliebull:D

Are ya absolutely she's in calf? How long along?

Charliebull bent the gate to get in across your boundary? I'd expect no less of the bold Charliebull:D

Are ya absolutely she's in calf? How long along?

7-8 weeks, she should have been in heat twice anyhow and she hasn't. I'll get her dipped when she's home. Issue is there not much of a holding are to keep her in where she is.

7-8 weeks, she should have been in heat twice anyhow and she hasn't. I'll get her dipped when she's home. Issue is there not much of a holding are to keep her in where she is.

From memory, 2 injections 11 days apart should do the trick?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The lads at Lyons Estate have a tried and tested method. Get a vet student to handle her.;)

Now where could we find one..............?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    The lads at Lyons Estate have a tried and tested method. Get a vet student to handle her.;)

Now where could we find one..............?

Play nice:D:D

Don't be scaring off the new people!

• Advertisement

From memory, 2 injections 11 days apart should do the trick?

All I can do is ask dad, tis not my heifer! The problem would come if she is sectioned as he wouldn't ask for money off the owner of the bull.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement