Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Aren't you just lucky... Blood testing dairy cows is a dream too B) don't know how many near misses I've had from being jabbed by needles blooding sucklers! Some right mad ones...

You'd love our cows. Occasionally if we need a quiet auld doll tested for factory/mart we just bring her into the yard and yet does her while standing quiet for a scratch!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭piebaldskwbald

.Kovu. wrote: »
    You'd love our cows. Occasionally if we need a quiet auld doll tested for factory/mart we just bring her into the yard and yet does her while standing quiet for a scratch!

That sounds like a dream from a distant land! I know a farmer whose cows lick his face if he puts his beside theirs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,858 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Aren't you just lucky... Blood testing dairy cows is a dream too B) don't know how many near misses I've had from being jabbed by needles blooding sucklers! Some right mad ones...
    years ago we where getting blood for dna samples from our aa suckler cowws, for some stupid reason the blood had to be from the neck, a full hour it took to take the blood from 1 cow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

.Kovu. wrote: »
    ah give her a pat and a scratch while planning to kill her :eek:

whelan2 wrote: »
    years ago we where getting blood for dna samples from our aa suckler cowws, for some stupid reason the blood had to be from the neck, a full hour it took to take the blood from 1 cow

The vet must've been doing some gallavantin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

That sounds like a dream from a distant land! I know a farmer whose cows lick his face if he puts his beside theirs...

Yup, ours do that too. Lovely scratchy tongue all up the face.

Have often been on the receiving end of that:o

The vet must've been doing some gallavantin...
    was pure hardship, I think by the time she got the blood she never wanted to see another cow again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

there as 1 vet that came to do brucellosois testing and always the neck. had a g clamp type yoke around the vein

he wasn't allowed come back and didn't last long in the practice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

jt65 wrote: »
    there as 1 vet that came to do brucellosois testing and always the neck. had a g clamp type yoke around the vein

he wasn't allowed come back and didn't last long in the practice
    Had a vet out to a sick cow at the weekend and he had one of those clamp to find the vein, never saw one of these before

• Advertisement

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Had a vet out to a sick cow at the weekend and he had one of those clamp to find the vein, never saw one of these before

Its called a jugular clamp, its just to keep the vein up so its easier to get blood and ensures the vein doesn't collapse! They've been around a while but are being used in the vet college now so I assume that's why it's becoming more common in practice!

Its called a jugular clamp, its just to keep the vein up so its easier to get blood and ensures the vein doesn't collapse! They've been around a while but are being used in the vet college now so I assume that's why it's becoming more common in practice!
    what, no more baler twine:)

what, no more baler twine:)

Ah well, nothing a bit of baler twine cant do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

_Brian wrote: »
    Was talking to a lakeland supplier yesterday and he was saying he's holding off signing their 3 year supply contract.. He said there is no mention of price which is putting him off signing... What's the incentive for lads to sign if milk price is left open ??

So there area few out there that seeing lakeland milk contract as I do. Any supplier I asked say they have signed and returned.
    They do 'endeavor to pay a competitive price' whatever that means. Wonder would they supply me with fertiliser/meal at a price I consider competive??? A week after contract sent out milk cheque comes and 2 cent a litre price cut. Latest IFJ milk league has lakeland at bottom.:mad::mad: And with quotas going we supposed to sign before end of june for a contract that not starting until 9 months time (April 2015). If Lakeland so good why are we not going to them asking them to sign us up for 3 or more years.
    However, I don't have enough cows to interest anyone and have only Glanbia locally and they I understand have similar contracts.

Have more on issue but that enough of a rant for now. (Sorry for same) I accept that if I cared more about what I'm at I might think differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

So there area few out there that seeing lakeland milk contract as I do. Any supplier I asked say they have signed and returned.
    They do 'endeavor to pay a competitive price' whatever that means. Wonder would they supply me with fertiliser/meal at a price I consider competive??? A week after contract sent out milk cheque comes and 2 cent a litre price cut. Latest IFJ milk league has lakeland at bottom.:mad::mad: And with quotas going we supposed to sign before end of june for a contract that not starting until 9 months time (April 2015). If Lakeland so good why are we not going to them asking them to sign us up for 3 or more years.
    However, I don't have enough cows to interest anyone and have only Glanbia locally and they I understand have similar contracts.

Have more on issue but that enough of a rant for now. (Sorry for same) I accept that if I cared more about what I'm at I might think differently.

Yea, it seems a very one sided deal.
    I'm not connected to dairy so don't know the landscape in reality.. but I'd be worrying about signing a contract where there is little security for the producer regarding price..
    Other than price my worry would be if you havent signed a contract and milk supplies are abundant, what's to stop them offering you 20c/l for May/June/July when milk will be flowing well and then 30c to you for Dec/Jan/Feb, is there a chance that the system will develop with preferential suppliers (those on contract) getting the option of supplying when costs are low and any other "non contract" suppliers being given a raw deal..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

_Brian wrote: »
    Yea, it seems a very one sided deal.
    I'm not connected to dairy so don't know the landscape in reality.. but I'd be worrying about signing a contract where there is little security for the producer regarding price..
    Other than price my worry would be if you havent signed a contract and milk supplies are abundant, what's to stop them offering you 20c/l for May/June/July when milk will be flowing well and then 30c to you for Dec/Jan/Feb, is there a chance that the system will develop with preferential suppliers (those on contract) getting the option of supplying when costs are low and any other "non contract" suppliers being given a raw deal..

Oh let the skull duggery begin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I remember when I was younger the vets always blooded cows from the neck. I reckon I was 17 or 18 before I saw the under the tail method.

Update on Biddy - she is still with us, only just. We brought her up to the vet last Friday evening to get her washed as she was pressing a lot. The various antibiotics/Dexameth and internal infection caused the foetus to abort which we assumed would happen.
    Anyway she gets out every day for a graze in the garden. I throw a summer sheet on her if it looks like rain. I have tried everything with her including all types of treats, carrots, potatoes, milk replacer, calf crunch etc to encourage her to eat. She is still very thin but nipping grass/hay, a few nuts and chewing the cud. Pus is still coming out of the removed back teat. Fingers crossed she will pull through. I am giving her as much as a chance that I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Dog is limping around all day and letting a few squeals when walking, won't let me touch his paw.
    Guess I should bring him to vet tomorrow?
    Father said I should factory him haha!

I don't know much about the milk end of farming but it seems to me like ye dairy farmers are going to be treated much the same way as us beef farmers.
    In other words - fcuked about like a leaf in the wind. At least we can choose another factory to go to whereas you are stuck with the one processor.
    Maybe my view of it is too simplistic but that is the way I see if unfolding.

Dog is limping around all day and letting a few squeals when walking, won't let me touch his paw.
    Guess I should bring him to vet tomorrow?
    Father said I should factory him haha!
    You could give him some Calpol if you have any. Adjust the dose to his size. I may help him with the pain overnight until you get to the vet tomorrow.

Base price wrote: »
    You could give him some Calpol if you have any. Adjust the dose to his size. I may help him with the pain overnight until you get to the vet tomorrow.

I've giving him a pain killer I had from before.
    It's more than likely that it's only a thorn but what else can I do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I've giving him a pain killer I had from before.
    It's more than likely that it's only a thorn but what else can I do?

You need to get a towel and fold it length ways, put it around his neck and twist it to handle him. (Don't choke him now!) If you control the head/neck like this, someone else can get a good root at his paw.
    Be careful not to do any more harm to him in case something is broken.
    If you're not happy, go to the Vet.

You need to get a towel and fold it length ways, put it around his neck and twist it to handle him. (Don't choke him now!) If you control the head/neck like this, someone else can get a good root at his paw.
    Be careful not to do any more harm to him in case something is broken.
    If you're not happy, go to the Vet.

I will wait till the morning, that's a good idea, definitely nothing broken he just Bit hurt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I will wait till the morning, that's a good idea, definitely nothing broken he just Bit hurt

Or stick a muzzle on and have a look then when he can't nip while youre pulling out the thorn

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I presume this clip has done the rounds a few times but it's always worth a watch....

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

moy83 wrote: »
    Or stick a muzzle on and have a look then when he can't nip while youre pulling out the thorn

I don't have one, he won't let me near him, may make a mini crush for him ;) I'll wait till tomo he ain't in extreme pain just uncomfortable.
    Funny how attached you'd be to the poor thing like a part of the family

greysides wrote: »
    I presume this clip has done the rounds a few times but it's always worth a watch....

That is deadly :D

I don't have one, he won't let me near him, may make a mini crush for him ;) I'll wait till tomo he ain't in extreme pain just uncomfortable.
    Funny how attached you'd be to the poor thing like a part of the family

Oh the one here is like a child. God forbid the day she leaves us

Reggie. wrote: »
    Oh the one here is like a child. God forbid the day she leaves us

There's two German Shepherds here stretched out on the floor and a mongrel too. Better cared for than myself :-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Lab and a German Shepherd here.

Bad day looming, the GSDs hindquarters have a mind of their own.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Lab and a German Shepherd here.

What are you saying about my arse?

• Advertisement

What are you saying about my arse?

He's saying it's twitching :D

What were you upto ;)

I've a jack Russell terior! He's after putting up some hours on the farm!
    And goes everywhere on the tractor

As a breed they're being ruined by the show ring frog dog style.
    We were rigorous in selecting structurally good dogs. Both rescued too. But good straight backed square bitches.

I've a jack Russell terior! He's after putting up some hours on the farm!
    And goes everywhere on the tractor

Mines the very same...when she's not chasing rabbits that is

Ours was a stray. Horrible dog in many respects but long-haired and the darling of 'she who must be obeyed' and extremely devoted to her.

Has been a very handy deterrent, must have been the way he used to circle vans leaping up at the windows......................

Agree with you about them being ruined by the show ring but would also include the non-selective breeding of anything to anything at a time when they were sought after for guard dogs.

Adam Grant

Ours was a stray. Horrible dog in many respects but long-haired and the darling of 'she who must be obeyed' and extremely devoted to her.

Has been a very handy deterrent, must have been the way he used to circle vans leaping up at the windows......................

Agree with you about them being ruined by the show ring but would also include the non-selective breeding of anything to anything at a time when they were sought after for guard dogs.

I've had the breed a good few years now, and it's worrying the way they've been bred. A hell of a lot of nervy shepherds about now.
    Our one is a working dog, and the second is in training. I think the second bitch could be great, steady even temperament but plenty of drive too.

Shepherds actually 'shepherding', that would be interesting to see. Novel idea. :D

Adam Grant

Shepherds actually 'shepherding', that would be interesting to see. Novel idea. :D

Well....... Of sorts!

I think OH will be glad to see the back of me and my 3 dogs when I have to (reluctantly) head back to Dublin at the end of the month.
    He reckons he takes second place to my 2 rotties and a mongrel terrier ;)
    I reckon I take second place to his rather spoilt house/yard cat :rolleyes:
    However the spoilt cat sort of gets on with my dogs - when they are not chasing him :D

• Advertisement

I think OH will be glad to see the back of me and my 3 dogs when I have to (reluctantly) head back to Dublin at the end of the month.
    However the spoilt cat sort of gets on with my dogs - when they are not chasing him :D
    Feck my dog turns into the terminater when he sees a cat. Absolutely hates them with a passion, the fraught would fall off his face. And he ain't even a cross dog

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Feck my dog turns into the terminater when he sees a cat. Absolutely hates them with a passion, the fraught would fall off his face. And he ain't even a cross dog

Two JRT's here and they're like the A-team if theres a cat or Bird in the garden, they've caught a few too :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Damo810 wrote: »
    Two JRT's here and they're like the A-team if theres a cat or Bird in the garden, they've caught a few too :eek:

I have an orange tabby aka a smallish tiger that goes for the JRT by lunging for the jugular and using the back legs to get the JRT down the way you see lions doing the same on wildlife programmes - the JRT is petrified of the cat but otherwise would take any other man or beast on ...:confused:

gozunda wrote: »
    I have an orange tabby aka a smallish tiger that goes for the JRT by lunging for the jugular and using the back legs to get the JRT down the way you see lions doing the same on wildlife programmes - the JRT is petrified of the cat but otherwise would take any other man or beast on ...:confused:

The jrt's are one brave animal, my previous one was attacked my neighbours German Shepard one day went straight for it face but she got badly hurt and bled a lot, I looked after it like a sick child for about 2 months and about a year later she went for the dog again but luckily I had a hurl and blocked her and picked her up, she was some fighter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

The saying a dog is a man's best friend is generally true. Isn't there also some saying about how dogs look up to you and cats look down on you (and pigs look you in the eye and treat you as one of their own). Agree with first bit anyway. Not sure if any of you have a pet pig to prove that bit.
    Dog and cat here very friendly. Dog here has been known to be lying sleeping on yard with the cat sleeping on his back. It probably not be good for his 'street cred' in the dog world. Have also seen him lying beside a sick calf and licking the calf's face from time to time. There also a few cows whose faces he licks. :D
    They say dogs end up like their owners but I never went that far!!!!

Most local ag. shows make quite a bit from dog shows. Owners pay in and also pay for dog to enter the various classes. 'Pester power' from the kids helps. One ag. show I at had more dogs than purebred cattle.:confused:
    And why do some 'people' put clothes on their dog.:confused::confused: And they probably have to match their eyes or their owners clothes - or maybe their owners eyes! Has become a version of the bonny baby competition (and not in the Father Ted hairy baby sense). Although ........ no, better stop there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

The saying a dog is a man's best friend is generally true. Isn't there also some saying about how dogs look up to you and cats look down on you (and pigs look you in the eye and treat you as one of their own). Agree with first bit anyway. Not sure if any of you have a pet pig to prove that bit.
    Dog and cat here very friendly. Dog here has been known to be lying sleeping on yard with the cat sleeping on his back. It probably not be good for his 'street cred' in the dog world. Have also seen him lying beside a sick calf and licking the calf's face from time to time. There also a few cows whose faces he licks. :D
    They say dogs end up like their owners but I never went that far!!!!

Most local ag. shows make quite a bit from dog shows. Owners pay in and also pay for dog to enter the various classes. 'Pester power' from the kids helps. One ag. show I at had more dogs than purebred cattle.:confused:
    And why do some 'people' put clothes on their dog.:confused::confused: And they probably have to match their eyes or their owners clothes - or maybe their owners eyes! Has become a version of the bonny baby competition (and not in the Father Ted hairy baby sense). Although ........ no, better stop there

I agree that dogs look up alright, one of the dogs here is quite literally dads side kick, when he goes off for the day she literally sits over behind the house staring towards the gate waiting for him. Has an unnerving ability to tell when he's coming home to, i was in the yard one day and hadn't seen the dog all day as he was away, had just noticed shed moved out to look straight at the gate when he rang me to tell me he was leaving the place on his way home.... He was over half an hour away so no way shed heard him....and thats happened a few times now.

The other lad is afraid of his life of cattle when we bring them into the yard but once there in the shed for the winter he goes up and tries to play with them at the feed barrier, there's times you call him and he appears down covered in slober from being licked!! He only has half a brain tho so I'm not overly surprised :D:D

• Advertisement

I remember when I was younger the vets always blooded cows from the neck. I reckon I was 17 or 18 before I saw the under the tail method.

Update on Biddy - she is still with us, only just. We brought her up to the vet last Friday evening to get her washed as she was pressing a lot. The various antibiotics/Dexameth and internal infection caused the foetus to abort which we assumed would happen.
    Anyway she gets out every day for a graze in the garden. I throw a summer sheet on her if it looks like rain. I have tried everything with her including all types of treats, carrots, potatoes, milk replacer, calf crunch etc to encourage her to eat. She is still very thin but nipping grass/hay, a few nuts and chewing the cud. Pus is still coming out of the removed back teat. Fingers crossed she will pull through. I am giving her as much as a chance that I can.
    poor biddy, she must have had a hell of a dose, once the puss is coming out its a good sign... we cut the spin off one here last week and shes flying now, very little coming out of her quarter but theres no swelling anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

Have a boxer dog here that will stand in a gap for me when moving cattle :D.. And a jack Russell that's wired to the moon! seen 3kittens the other day in the yard went in to get them some food came out they were gone. I was hoping they would stay around.

will there be an advance payment of the sfp in october this year, has it been confirmed?
    does anyone know? Have a job i want to do and it would depend on when payment is coming?

Ok folks what sort of a little **** am I dealing with here.

Clucking hen in a run seen below. Have blocks all around the base of the wire but today I noticed a chick plus an egg was missing :mad:

There's a river about 300m away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

does anyone know? Have a job i want to do and it would depend on when payment is coming?
    Its too early yet to say. I think there will be an announcement toward the end of the month but i would be 99% certain it will be paid then.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement