Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

The spray? Jaysus I dunno moy, the last can we had to get was given to us free by the vet after the section, I suppose I could go rummage in the shed to see if it's on the lid but the effort :p

Can ask tomorrow, was actually waiting for vet to call me back for something else today but have to pick up shots for kovu tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

moy83 wrote: »
    Don't forget to bring her back a kitten . I was in the vets today and a woman was coming out after getting her dog put down , she was woeful upset but after putting the dog in the boot she came back in to pay . It took the poor devil ages to get the laser card in and her number right .
    How much are ye paying for Alamycin LA actually ? I paid €33 today but for some reason thought it was only around €15 the last time

I can imagine the pain of the pup here having to be put down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

.Kovu. wrote: »
    The spray? Jaysus I dunno moy, the last can we had to get was given to us free by the vet after the section, I suppose I could go rummage in the shed to see if it's on the lid but the effort :p

Can ask tomorrow, was actually waiting for vet to call me back for something else today but have to pick up shots for kovu tomorrow.

No the 100ml bottle that you inject , not the spray .

simx wrote: »
    I would think €15 would be about the mark or even a shake less

€66.50 for a bottle of Alamycin , 2 shots of Estrumit and a shot of paikiller , I felt was a bit steep . I doubt he would have charged that if he call out and done them for me

I'll ask! But I don't remember it being €33 last time it was used here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Don't forget to bring her back a kitten . I was in the vets today and a woman was coming out after getting her dog put down , she was woeful upset but after putting the dog in the boot she came back in to pay . It took the poor devil ages to get the laser card in and her number right .
    How much are ye paying for Alamycin LA actually ? I paid €33 today but for some reason thought it was only around €15 the last time

Fe*k that sounds steep.... Thought it was round 15 for la and just shy of €8 for the normal one....

Zr105 wrote: »
    Fe*k that sounds steep.... Thought it was round 15 for la and just shy of €8 for the normal one....

Two women on reception , one of them usually very light on the prices but I dont think the other rap likes me :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Two women on reception , one of them usually very light on the prices but I dont think the other rap likes me :mad:

Jesus id go back over that... I doubt its doubled in price....

Zr105 wrote: »
    Jesus id go back over that... I doubt its doubled in price....

Ill mention it to one of the vets again when I'm talking to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

:)
    whelan2 wrote: »
    here's your twin, had a crap day today:( anyway tomorrow is another day
    It sure is. So I said to myself, feck it and I went fishing �� instead. Caught a few tiggler perch and calmed down. Too nice an evening to be in bad form ��

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    :)
    It sure is. So I said to myself, feck it and I went fishing �� instead. Caught a few tiggler perch and calmed down. Too nice an evening to be in bad form ��

Fishing...Ya got to love it

What did ya do to her ;)

Reggie. wrote: »
    What did ya do to her ;)

Nothing like that you dirty minded devil :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

€13 on a/c probably a bit less for johnny cash

Nothing like that you dirty minded devil :D

Mmmm mm I wonder :rolleyes:

jt65 wrote: »
    €13 on a/c probably a bit less for johnny cash

I always pay the vets on the spot for everything , might be time to leave a few quid build up on account and let them deal when they come looking for it :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

I always pay the vets on the spot for everything , might be time to leave a few quid build up on account and let them deal when they come looking for it :mad:

I know a fellow that never pays until after his herd test :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

My vet adds interest after a month I think. Forget how much but he told me he got stung with big bills before

Just reading there only 428 students did the leaving cert in leitrim this year. Wonder how many of them will stay around the county?

• Advertisement

jt65 wrote: »
    I know a fellow that never pays until after his herd test :rolleyes:

Our vets have loads of those poor soldier stories about lads that have 2 years or more accounts unpaid . So I always give a cheque before they leave , mightn't do it next time for the craic

Our vets have loads of those poor soldier stories about lads that have 2 years or more accounts unpaid . So I always give a cheque before they leave , mightn't do it next time for the craic

Look where that got ya

visatorro wrote: »
    Just reading there only 428 students did the leaving cert in leitrim this year. Wonder how many of them will stay around the county?

Doubt many will! Not much to do here to be honest. Great little country but you'd want to have an affiliation for peace and quiet or be near carrick. Most of the small towns are fairly depressing these days after all the boom time shops/pubs closed.

Doubt many will! Not much to do here to be honest. Great little country but you'd want to have an affiliation for peace and quiet or be near carrick. Most of the small towns are fairly depressing these days after all the boom time shops/pubs closed.

Mullingar no different. It's turned into a sleeper town. Most factories closed and even lost its army barracks

Mullingar no different. It's turned into a sleeper town. Most factories closed and even lost its army barracks

Do ya get travelling expenses for having to mosey up to the big smoke for work now :D

Do ya get travelling expenses for having to mosey up to the big smoke for work now :D

You do at the start :p

• Advertisement

Still probably two or three hundred did the leaving cert in mullingar. It's a big town. And you have bressie

Still probably two or three hundred did the leaving cert in mullingar. It's a big town. And you have bressie

I had a bowl of cornflakes with that man.....my claim to fame :D

I had a bowl of cornflakes with that man.....my claim to fame :D

Footing turf was it?!

Footing turf was it?!

Nope in his house.....its a story ill tell if I ever meet ya ;)

Nope in his house.....its a story ill tell if I ever meet us ;)

So you woke up with bressie, no sausages for breakfast or was that the night before!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

et1xetU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Got a phone call to bring my aunts cat to be put down on Friday. I get all the fun jobs :(:(

Do I remember you saying about some cat having its ears amputated? Is it this cat or what's wrong with it

Do I remember you saying about some cat having its ears amputated? Is it this cat or what's wrong with it

Yup same cat, white long haired puss. He got skin cancer on his ears so they were removed but it had spread before it was noticed.

Yup same cat, white long haired puss. He got skin cancer on his ears so they were removed but it had spread before it was noticed.
    Ah that is a pity. Only for the fact that Daisy mentioned the amputation I had forgotten.
    Hope your Aunt is ok.

Ah that is a pity. Only for the fact that Daisy mentioned the amputation I had forgotten.
    Hope your Aunt is ok.

Yes, she'll be ok, she has two others. Just not one for putting things down :(

Think I'll have to bring mine in tomorrow as well, but only to get a double check from the vet on what shots he needs for a tear across his tum. He drives the place crackers though as he walks in on his leash like he owns the place. Nutty thing.

(I think darragh was correct when he said I was 10% cat:o)

Yes, she'll be ok, she has two others. Just not one for putting things down :(

Think I'll have to bring mine in tomorrow as well, but only to get a double check from the vet on what shots he needs for a tear across his tum. He drives the place crackers though as he walks in on his leash like he owns the place. Nutty thing.

(I think darragh was correct when he said I was 10% cat:o)
    Was it due to the fact that the cat was pure white have anything to do with its condition. Maybe Greysides could speculate.
    Personally I detest white cats - something to do with an aversion that my Granny had of them and I picked up the same from her :eek:
    OH's cat sounds a lot like your lad, in fact in his case he does own the place. Struts around with his tail held high :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

At a guess, white eared cats are prone to a Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the pinna. Sunlight/non-protective white hair/thin hair density all conspire together.

A bit similar to 'Cancer Eye' of white faced cattle.

In animals a SC Carcinoma is a very bad tumour.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Afaik, they lack a pigment in their skin that other cats have, so they are susceptible to sunburn. Definitely doesn't help that they lie out in the sun so much! Supposed to put suncream on their ears! Don't think many people would do that here though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Supposed to put suncream on their ears! Don't think many people would do that here though.

Well............. not a second time................:eek:

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    Well............. not a second time................:eek:

Ha! True, never had to do it to any here as I'm sure it would just be licked off.

• Advertisement

greysides wrote: »
    At a guess, white eared cats are prone to a Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the pinna. Sunlight/non-protective white hair/thin hair density all conspire together.

A bit similar to 'Cancer Eye' of white faced cattle.

In animals a SC Carcinoma is a very bad tumour.
    The same as Carcinoma is more common in grey horses/ponies?

The same as Carcinoma is more common in grey horses/ponies?

Those are normally melanomas and don't usually cause a problem.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

yes i think most vets have some people like that on their books. Total pain that even though they are owed alot of money by these people they still have to treat their animals......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

Going at the turf sat just a small matter of getting cattle out of a field that we have rented that has no pen and have to go in to a trailer.
    Its a big bitch of field so I expect a lot of running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

naughto wrote: »
    Going at the turf sat just a small matter of getting cattle out of a field that we have rented that has no pen and have to go in to a trailer.
    do you have strip wire, posts and portable fencer?

whelan2 wrote: »
    do you have strip wire, posts and portable fencer?

Or even the wire on its own might convince/corral them towards the trailer

naughto wrote: »

Trough , nuts a few gates and a couple of strands of electric fence .
    Start feeding them the nuts asap and they will be putty in your hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

Few weeks ago I passed a lad on the road with tractor and trailor backed into load a bunch of heifers - on his own with no crush- so I pulled into watch..
    Not a bother, down with ramp, out with gates, put a light gate at either side as well and ran wire/tape out in a v shape.
    Had the heifers in a paddock at the top of a hill, opened paddock and heifers just walked down the field and into the trailor!! Yer man walked down after them casually and closed the gates behind them.

And these weren't Fr or AA they were charolais and limos!! Not a stick, dog or shout in sight, just goes to prove an ould lad near me - 'mad man mad cattle'

Maybe it also goes to show tho that preparation is key to success - He had the heifers divided into 2 batches so the half would fit into the trailor no bother whereas if he was trying to load em all by the time the last were going in the ones in front would be coming back against them
    Also he had backed in such a way that the ramp was nearly the same slope as the field so they were in the trailor before they knew it.

ellewood wrote: »
    Few weeks ago I passed a lad on the road with tractor and trailor backed into load a bunch of heifers - on his own with no crush- so I pulled into watch..
    Not a bother, down with ramp, out with gates, put a light gate at either side as well and ran wire/tape out in a v shape.
    Had the heifers in a paddock at the top of a hill, opened paddock and heifers just walked down the field and into the trailor!! Yer man walked down after them casually and closed the gates behind them.

And these weren't Fr or AA they were charolais and limos!! Not a stick, dog or shout in sight, just goes to prove an ould lad near me - 'mad man mad cattle'

Maybe it also goes to show tho that preparation is key to success - He had the heifers divided into 2 batches so the half would fit into the trailor no bother whereas if he was trying to load em all by the time the last were going in the ones in front would be coming back against them
    Also he had backed in such a way that the ramp was nearly the same slope as the field so they were in the trailor before they knew it.

The 6 P's
    Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

• Advertisement

Rule around here is no talking, less shouting and we can't let ourselves get annoyed if things go wrong when loading as the more excited we get, the cattle will only get two times worse!

Helps that me & dad can almost read each others minds at this stage so we know what the other will do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement