Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Some plank trying to get a long weekend with going sick with the flu I suppose :rolleyes:

And there was me gearing up for a bit of marshal law :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Do I ever look anything else:cool:
    I see we have a cow repeating out in the field now. Bugger.
    Did you bull her or will you leave it for later?
    Has a Cow bulling on Sunday, calved 8th July, took allot of decision, decided not to in the end, will hold out till November for Autumn calving.
    On option that Suckler Calves born End May - Early July don't get fair play as still young when weaned.
    Just wondering on others opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Those that interested know that premiership soccer starts tomorrow. Any predictions? I go for Chelsea:(, to win, Man City 2nd. Hopefully Man Utd finish above Liverpool. (sorry whelan)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Those that interested know that premiership soccer starts tomorrow. Any predictions? I go for Chelsea:(, to win, Man City 2nd. Hopefully Man Utd finish above Liverpool. (sorry whelan)

Chelsea to win.
    Liverpool will finish 3rd
    Utd only signed to players and when injury hits they will be found
    Also sky sports is free tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Farrell wrote: »
    Did you bull her or will you leave it for later?
    Has a Cow bulling on Sunday, calved 8th July, took allot of decision, decided not to in the end, will hold out till November for Autumn calving.
    On option that Suckler Calves born End May - Early July don't get fair play as still young when weaned.
    Just wondering on others opinion

Not standing heat just yet. Our Jan born bulls don't know whether to jump on her or roar at the cows next door. So they're eh.....leaping on her and roaring at the same time:pac:

We are holding the cows that repeat late this year as 1)we are understocked and 2) we have 3/4 replacement heifers to keep this year so calf numbers will be down next year too so late calves can be wintered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

what about Arsenal? I think we are good for 2nd this year behind Chelsea

Oh no :(

Hard to know they always hit fall behind. after xmass.
    Definetly stronger than last year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Never heard of that first team you mentioned. Can't even get phone to type name:D. Smart phone!!!.
    Saurez gone will affect Liverpool a lot.
    If man utd get couple of good signings they hopefully get top 4 fiinish. No champions league not help ability to sign top players (the press say) but could be a help as fixture congestion builds in spring

• Advertisement

Never heard of that first team you mentioned. Can't even get phone to type name:D. Smart phone!!!.
    Saurez gone will affect Liverpool a lot.
    If man utd get couple of good signings they hopefully get top 4 fiinish.
    Yeah liverpool will suffer allot but studge was 2nd or 3rd top scorer too and this year will be a lot less goals conceeded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I dont mind as long as liverpool finish above man united. Its very hard for teams to competr against the likes of man city a d chelsea who have a big money pit behind them

They where pretty impressive against man city last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Saw this article and I was wondering do Irish consumers really care if their meat is actually Irish or is price the number one issue ??

http://www.thejournal.ie/bacon-pork-butchers-tested-not-irish-1621406-Aug2014/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

_Brian wrote: »
    Saw this article and I was wondering do Irish consumers really care if their meat is actually Irish or is price the number one issue ??

Neither is the primary concern of consumers. The look, the price, the origin. And they are in order of importance. That's was a neighbour of mine who works in the marketing devision of Nestlé told me.

On bus. Just passed a field near the airport with silage bales plonked where wrapper left them and lovely grass growing around them

• Advertisement

Neither is the primary concern of consumers. The look, the price, the origin. And they are in order of importance. That's was a neighbour of mine who works in the marketing devision of Nestlé told me.

If it looks better they can charge more :rolleyes:

Remember an episode of ETTG where a fella was saying that a portion of his crop of veg will be rejected by the supermarkets due to their appearance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

A lot of consumers these days do put price over quality. If they see 6 sausages for €1 they're more likely to buy them over the locally produced ones that could be double the price.
    Ok, this can be due to budgets on shopping but some of it is due to laziness over research into the foods they eat. I've seen squeamish people say that they like meat but don't like to think of the poor little piggys closed into pens and squashed together on lorries going to the factory. To them, pork magically appears in its packet on a shelf in Tesco and the happy smiling piggy on the front is proud of his bacon going to feed them.

I pay a lot for Irish meat. Yes I'm sure I could get it cheaper in Tesco but nothing beats a good rapport with a butcher who can teach you about meat cuts if you know next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Charliebull

what about them, usless nomads:D

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

2-3 signings away from being contenders. Defensive midfielder, Striker and goalkeeper too.

Chelsea's to lose, City second, Arsenal third and Utd fourth.

.Kovu. wrote: »
    A lot of consumers these days do put price over quality. If they see 6 sausages for €1 they're more likely to buy them over the locally produced ones that could be double the price.
    Ok, this can be due to budgets on shopping but some of it is due to laziness over research into the foods they eat. I've seen squeamish people say that they like meat but don't like to think of the poor little piggys closed into pens and squashed together on lorries going to the factory. To them, pork magically appears in its packet on a shelf in Tesco and the happy smiling piggy on the front is proud of his bacon going to feed them.

I pay a lot for Irish meat. Yes I'm sure I could get it cheaper in Tesco but nothing beats a good rapport with a butcher who can teach you about meat cuts if you know next to nothing.

Its gas that producers/supermarket chains make farmers jump through such tractability routines when in the end the average consumer cares less as long as the price is low.. :(

Its along the same vein as the horsemeat scandal, surely shoppers really didn't believe that they were getting 8-10 pure beef burgers for €1, people switch of to these facts..

I'm beginning to think that Irish consumers would be quite happy to have large USA style feedlots here in ireland, that way they get their cheap 'N nasty beef with a little tri-colour on the corner and all is well with the world !

• Advertisement

Its gas that producers/supermarket chains make farmers jump through such tractability routines when in the end the average consumer cares less as long as the price is low.. :(

Its along the same vein as the horsemeat scandal, surely shoppers really didn't believe that they were getting 8-10 pure beef burgers for €1, people switch of to these facts..

I'm beginning to think that Irish consumers would be quite happy to have large USA style feedlots here in ireland, that way they get their cheap 'N nasty beef with a little tri-colour on the corner and all is well with the world !
    it all comes down to budget unfortunately. We all know we should be buying irish, but if you neeed to feed a family on a strict allowance what do you do. I go to the butchers about once every 6 weeks and stock up -mainly on stuff they have on offer- otherwise its aldi. Thats the way it is. Well for those that can afford to shop the right way

whelan2 wrote: »
    it all comes down to budget unfortunately. We all know we should be buying irish, but if you neeed to feed a family on a strict allowance what do you do. I go to the butchers about once every 6 weeks and stock up -mainly on stuff they have on offer- otherwise its aldi. Thats the way it is. Well for those that can afford to shop the right way

Well it just seems wrong that we're being cornered to produce a product that appeals to only a small % of shoppers, truly Irish grown/produced meat seems to be a niche market rather than mainstream..

And if 90% (am i right in that figure?) of our beef is exported, who's buying it? If its too expensive when it hits the shops in Ireland are consumers in other countries willing to spend more on meat...

Most of the fresh meat in Aldi is Irish and i find better quality than Tesco.
    There is a craft butcher beside us and to be honest his meat is worse than any supermarket.

10 years ago or more i worked with a small family butcher. I still have an interest in it as i was there close to 5 years. He reared his own beef and bought lamb off local farmers. sold up and set up a self propelled silage outfit.

Ths year im going to buy a lamb or 2 of a client and i buy half a pig twice a year off an uncle. I also have a few aax calves and one will end up in the freezer

Well it just seems wrong that we're being cornered to produce a product that appeals to only a small % of shoppers, truly Irish grown/produced meat seems to be a niche market rather than mainstream..

And if 90% (am i right in that figure?) of our beef is exported, who's buying it? If its too expensive when it hits the shops in Ireland are consumers in other countries willing to spend more on meat...
    go to aldi any day of the week, the majority there dont give a crap where the food comes from, they just want cheap food. The car park is always full. I know its wrong but that is the way it is. Take the school uniforms aldi had, they came in to their shops on a thursday morning and where sold out by lunch time, i am sure not one person looked to see where they where made before buying them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭dzer2

Most of the fresh meat in Aldi is Irish and i find better quality than Tesco.
    There is a craft butcher beside us and to be honest his meat is worse than any supermarket.

10 years ago or more i worked with a small family butcher. I still have an interest in it as i was there close to 5 years. He reared his own beef and bought lamb off local farmers. sold up and set up a self propelled silage outfit.

Ths year im going to buy a lamb or 2 of a client and i buy half a pig twice a year off an uncle. I also have a few aax calves and one will end up in the freezer

We produce 100% of our own meat here. And over 60% of veg and milk when ever anyone gets fed they are always complimenting the food, but they never seem to want to buy any when offered.
    go to aldi any day of the week, the majority there dont give a crap where the food comes from, they just want cheap food. The car park is always full. I know its wrong but that is the way it is. Take the school uniforms aldi had, they came in to their shops on a thursday morning and where sold out by lunch time, i am sure not one person looked to see where they where made before buying them.

Very little clothing made in this country and the way our kids go through stuff it would break you if you paid top dollar for it.

in no way associated to the previous postings :D, who is responsible for collecting road kill?

dead badger outside my place and dont feel like going to scoop him up and burying him.

Dunnes have very nice pork, always stock up when its on offer. Yes aldi meat is very good and very reasonable. Dont shop in Tesco at all as its too dear

in no way associated to the previous postings :D, who is responsible for collecting road kill?

dead badger outside my place and dont feel like going to scoop him up and burying him.
    normally ring dept of ag to collect any badgers but at 3.45 on a friday evening , I dont think they will be of much help

normally ring dept of ag to collect any badgers but at 3.45 on a friday evening , I dont think they will be of much help

I asked herself to call westmeath coco pops :D and they said the dog warden would come pick it up. they just didnt say when which would be usual for them.

so no collection by 6pm and ill call there after hours and some lad can come on the double pay to collect it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

For the upcoming prem league there is a programm/app that you can get for tablet/phone
    Where u can watch all the games
    I'm not allowed post it as its against boards rules
    M......o........b........d.........r...........o put them all to gether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭mf240

:D

Fire him into the ditch. Ya big girl.

mf240 wrote: »

why would you do that when some else is getting paid to clean up dead animals off the road

lakill i was having a noes through your site and i poped in to google and it comes up on done deal as 400euro yet you have no price on your own site?

####it wasVat 58b that i put in to google was woundering what that was.

naughto wrote: »
    lakill i was having a noes through your site and i poped in to google and it comes up on done deal as 400euro yet you have no price on your own site?

####it wasVat 58b that i put in to google was woundering what that was.

website is been changed at the minute , sorry

vat 58 is vat refund on capital expenditure on fixed items for none vat registered farmers

the form is form58

it use to be called 58b

mf240 wrote: »

Ah he faints at the sight of blood out lakill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

Moving house today, one of the most stressful things going apparently. Amazing the amount of stuff you gather over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

visatorro wrote: »
    Moving house today, one of the most stressful things going apparently. Amazing the amount of stuff you gather over the years.

True, & all the new stuff you'll need too, as you can't have that old thing.
    Best of luck, feet up tonight with a cold beer & it'll all be worthwhile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

visatorro wrote: »

It's a pain in the hole best of luck

just came in and checked the football scores, man united being bet at half time by swansea:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

My phone has just changed from mobile screen to computer type screen, how do I switch it back. Help me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

My phone has just changed from mobile screen to computer type screen, how do I switch it back. Help me!

Scroll down to bottom and press touch site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Down the bottom on the blue banner or else just above it says touch version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

I said wrote: »
    Scroll down to bottom and press touch site

Thanx guys, nearly had a meltdown!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Thanx guys, nearly had a meltdown!

Milk price must be very good if boards going to desktop mode is the only thing freaking you out ;)

so arsenal top and man united just above the drop zone

Oh I wish it was the final table from the 2014/2015 season

• Advertisement

spent today putting down a paved border around the lawn. a bid to save time around the kerbs and under the hedge.

then a calf up to the vets, home and feed

Time to feed me now

so arsenal top and man united just above the drop zone

Oh I wish it was the final table from the 2014/2015 season

ah hold on liverpool , man city and chelsea still have to play.

ah hold on liverpool , man city and chelsea still have to play.

they are mid table, exactly as they should be if they hadn't the rich backers :p

they are mid table, exactly as they should be if they hadn't the rich backers :p
    liverpool dont have the rich backers, man city where shown up last sunday by arsenal.

liverpool dont have the rich backers, man city where shown up last sunday by arsenal.

how much did the 2 americans pump into Liverpool. they are like arsenal with viera, united with keane. They will never be able to replace an old Gerard im afraid.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement